Page 105 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    This is a great Metheny album that doesn't seem to get the recognition I think it deserves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Jesse Sykes is also getting a lot of air-play in my home.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Tonight it was
    I'll tell ya, listening to someone like Eva Cassidy makes you realise the benefit of tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I'll tell ya, listening to someone like Eva Cassidy makes you realise the benefit of tubes.
    poppachubby and Eva Cassidy? Branching out on the musical taste? Or have you always had a little of Eva's music around?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    poppachubby and Eva Cassidy? Branching out on the musical taste? Or have you always had a little of Eva's music around?
    I have a greatest hits file. I was drawn to her through her cover of Fields of Gold. Honestly, I'm not big on all of her songs but through a good system her voice is hauntingly huge. My Golden Tube loves female vocals.

I have a greatest hits file. I was drawn to her through her cover of Fields of Gold. Honestly, I'm not big on all of her songs but through a good system her voice is hauntingly huge. My Golden Tube loves female vocals.
    My system appreciates a good female vocal, too. Eva floats out of it like a dream.

OK I put together a Brecker set, but first a CD...

I love that Metheny album and use to own it back in the day when it first came out. Back then I bought anything with Dewey and Haden on it. Especially Dewey,

Also those group of musicians seemed to be clickish back then. Especially Haden Dewey and Metheny and Brecker. It seemed when ever one headlined an album, they had at lease one of the guy in their circle. I think they where all on the same label..ECM. If you can find any of the "Old and New Dreams" albums grab them. Its with that same circle of guys. I was really sad that Dewey died. His son Joshua , while great, in my opinion is not the sax player his dad was. His dad along with charlie Haden did some great things with Ornett Colman back in the late 50's and early 60's
    Last edited by frenchmon; 09-05-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Rae

~Rae

so bluuuuuuuuuue
    why don't you stay behind?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Rae
    I think the more obvious lyric in the context of this board might be the opening lines:

"Where have all my friends gone / they've all disappeared / turned around maybe one day / you were all that was there..."

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I think the more obvious lyric in the context of this board might be the opening lines:

"Where have all my friends gone / they've all disappeared / turned around maybe one day / you were all that was there..."

~Rae
    Indeed. Great harmonies on that record, and especially that tune.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

This has got to be the longest and oldest active thread this place has ever had. I think that congrats for everyone involved is in order.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Sifting through some vinyl today.
    Lighthouse, One Fine Morning. Good album and a classic but a bit too rough to keep.
    Nat King Cole, Love. This is a great album, never thought I'd be saying that about Nat, this album swings, most of his stuff I've heard in the past has been "candlelight" type music. The LP is on Capital and heavy vinyl, sound quality is very good. May need another cleaning but a keeper.
    Hall & Oates, I think a best of thing. This is one instance where I think the LP sounds better however it was a bit too rough to keep.
    Blood Sweat & Tears, I missed the title but this is an album with a different singer than Clayton Thomas. It was good though and I added it to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Sifting through some vinyl today.
    Lighthouse, One Fine Morning. Good album and a classic but a bit too rough to keep.
    Nat King Cole, Love. This is a great album, never thought I'd be saying that about Nat, this album swings, most of his stuff I've heard in the past has been "candlelight" type music. The LP is on Capital and heavy vinyl, sound quality is very good. May need another cleaning but a keeper.
    Hall & Oates, I think a best of thing. This is one instance where I think the LP sounds better however it was a bit too rough to keep.
    Blood Sweat & Tears, I missed the title but this is an album with a different singer than Clayton Thomas. It was good though and I added it to my collection.
    Nat Coles "Unforgetable" is a classic recording.....you dont like that? And before Nat started singing he did a lots of trio bop Jazz He was also a side man playing piano in many Jazz groups. He is really a good pianist. But he got his fame when he started singing. His brother who is still living "Freddie Cole" aint bad either.

Blood Sweat & Tears???? Yeah, I would be in tears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    I like the song Unforgettable, I'll have to check out the album. BS&T, good ole hippy rock with horns, man.

Rae

~Rae

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Gordon Lightfoot

"Gord's Gold"
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I've been shopping more than usual lately. Probably more misses than hits. Grabbed a bunch of $3 CDs from the Jazz Bins at Newbury Comics. Many were SACD/CD hybrids and none were used. Jazz is cheap these days.

The winners:

Stellar. Can't figure out why I never really listened to Nina before...my loss.

Really good. Fresh and modern but with an emotionality that makes it connect. Most of the newer things I buy just sound cold and over intellectual. This one works where others have failed. I also like the band behind her. Much of the album is muscular, intricate, and fast. But, there's also a nice slow bluesy track, "Joy". First I've listened to from Hiromi and would be happy to hear if others have good suggestions from the rest of her catalog. She really packs a lot into her fingers.

A nice random pickup. I grabbed it because 1) it was $3, 2) It looked 'bossa', and 3) featured trombone. Winner. Rich sounds, good latin rhythms. easy to like and happy. Mixes some genres but doesn't fail like a lot of stuff I've bought from the mid-70s.

Not sure yet...

Jason Moran: Ten
    Some good playing. I haven't found a time to listen beyond the first three tracks. I think it deserves some true listening, but putting it on casually I just don't find myself getting to the end.

Decent finds also included...

classic, as expected. 2CD.
    Actually this one is very interesting to listen to as I listen in parallel with the next up on my Miles Davis project. Close in time. There's some post-Coltrane Miles playing Monk...

pleasant enough.

haven't gotten to this one yet.

one listen so far. hmmm. Ok.

ok also.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 09-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Might as well keep going on to the non-jazz side...

Disappointing. For a listen or two, I liked it but then it started to just annoy me. Maybe I developed some sort of negative reaction to irony or something. The one exception is the song, "The Thread". Not like anything else on the album and, I think, a real gem of an honest song.

I feel a bit swindled by the hype machine. I didn't really expect it to live up to all the hype. But then, I didn't expect it to be so dang boring and uninteresting either. Beware the hyped album that sells for $9.99 upon release on Amazon, I suppose.

I enjoy this one. First exposure to Autolux for me. It's survived many full listens and I can say that I'll want to hear it again. It wallows a bit, but it's stays short enough to avoid becoming too tiresome. I like the textures and the general feel. Oddly, I find myself thinking of Dark Side of the Moon as I listen... Breathe.

An odd little winner. Strange though it is, it does many things right in my book. It's got a nice range of sounds, a few beautiful songs (All you need is a wall). Some ineteresting juxtapositions of 'found sounds' and compositions. It has a sense of humor and doesn't wield its irony like a bitter pill. I find it real engaging and highly listenable. It feels like someone put a lot of time and thought into the album, but It doesn't take itself too seriously. A concept album that succeeds in my book.

I confess to buying this for one track (Mexico Wax Solvent). However, as a post punk album, it mostly delivers a very satisfying listen. I have no idea what the lead singer is saying throughout, but he mutters incoherently extremely well. Several of the tracks build fury with a slow and delicious simmer. I really enjoy the drunken/comatose slurring of the vocals over the rocking beats, the raw dissonance, the casio keyboard groove etc. Still, can't say where any of the songs actually go. It's a bit like catharsis without crisis. Nothing wrong with catharsis though. Post punk as background music? Mexico Wax Solvent is the high point for me.

Lovely and interesting. A bit of everything that kind of channels some mixture of Kate Bush, Fionna Apple and Tori Amos, as well as some nice folkish sound. The indie radio here plays Four Dreams a lot,and it does stick in ones head (add a shot of The Bangles to the mix). I personally like the first track Whispering Light.

Excellent. Really enjoying this one. It contradicts my above statement of beware the $9.98 release. But, I see it's $9.58 on Amazon now. Maybe that's the difference. Buy this one. Honesty and insight and good melodies. I kept thinking of the heartache expressed in the old honky tonk songs my dad still sings on occasion. There's a lot in this album to like for the short haul, the long haul, the lonesome road...etc.

An older release. Saw it mentioned in a thread and decided to try it. Thanks to whomever recommended!

Randy Crawford

Love her version of Knockin on Heaven's Door

First spin for the new John Vanderslice EP.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Nat King Cole "Unforgettable"

Original Album 1954 Capital Records. VG+

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Todays play list over my morning coffee.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hope it was a nice French Roast. Looks like enough for a pot of coffee not just a cup.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Appears you've got a thing for the ladies this morning....

Page 105 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast

Thread Information