Page 55 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Probably won't get too much traction around these parts, with y'all two-channel vinylphiles but there's some Diana Krall~Live in Paris spinning in glorious DTS...mmm, digital electrostatic goodness.

Great concert

back when my pc was still connected to my system, I played that dvd too on regular basis, albeit in stereo

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Had some time today to dig into the unpreviewed vinyl I have sitting around. I first warmed up my tubes to Alan Parsons, Best of, which I skipped a lot of.

Then I cleaned and threw on The Andrew Sisters. I couldn't find a title, it was in glorious simulated stereo. The label was Vocalion. I haven't heard of that, have you? The album didn't have much fidelity, it sounded a lot like it does in the movies. I'm not sure when they recorded. I don't know if this was some type of transfer or they recorded it in the studio. The album was obviously put out around the time of the transfer from 78 to 33 1/3 from the writing on the cover. It made sure to mention it was a "long play". The vocals still came through nicely and the tunes catchy, like, A Bushel And A Peck. The vinyl surprisingly good and it was a keeper. Think the old record could be worth anything?

Then I played a Neville Brothers which was in great shape and sounded good. I have a few of their CD's though and probably won't keep the vinyl as there weren't enough strong tracks to make me pull it just for a listen in the future.

Then The 4 Seasons, 2nd Vault Golden Hits. From the cover and the sound I think this was an original. The vinyl a bit rough but listenable, most of the noise noticeable between tracks. I liked many of the songs and don't have any of the group so it was a keeper. Maybe some day I'll find a better copy.

Saved the best.....

.....till last.
    For those of us amongst here who enjoyed bobsticks summer world music comp, an absolute gem of an album has just been delivered, in time to occupy top spot as my album of the year.

"Tinariwen - Aman Iman: Water is Life"

What an outstanding, complex and exhilarating album this is. I have waited a while for this to arrive.
    Contemporary Desert Cool.

Peace and best wishes for 2008

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    On this, one of the first, fresh eves of the new year a bitter wind whips a fresh snow through the city streets...a pretty good time to hunker down and just listen and feel.

Right now...

....."Seasick Steve - Dog House Music"

One man, his guitar and a lot of Hobo heartache. Never has the Blues sounded more heartfelt.

Peace

Forum Regular
    It's a warm, wet, foggy night here in Halifax and after watching Sunshine after supper i needed to cleanse my brain with some music.First up was Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony's take on Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra and Ein Hedenleben followed up by Golden Earring with Naked 3 live at the panama.Rather different but both very good.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Rawking the night away with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Nocturama and before that a little Tom Waits of the "Real Gone" persuasion. The big rig is still temporarily out of commision so I'm enjoying a little old-school rock'n'roll English style KEF sounds...love that midrange.

Hey, where's jim goulding been? I need some horn recommendations, though I just picked today a little Cal Tjader and Stan Getz to be savored at a later date...

Peace out

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    a friend is moving to NYC on monday but gave me a handful of vinyl. Talking Heads, Eno and Andy Summers, Bill Evans, couple good Neil Youngs and 'Quah' by Jorma Kaukanon, all nice and clean.
    Now I'm on side 2 of New Chatauqua by Pat Metheny...my babysitter when I was, like, 9, used to listen to this a lot...really a gorgeous one.

I now have a spare copy of Harvest - N.Y. ...slab in good condition but sleeve is a bit beat-up. and Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (clean vinyl - WB run, not the green label...). If anyone wants these, just let me know....

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    Now I'm on side 2 of New Chatauqua by Pat Metheny...my babysitter when I was, like, 9, used to listen to this a lot...really a gorgeous one.....
    The babysitter or the Metheny disc? Either way it's the stuff of dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    a friend is moving to NYC on monday but gave me a handful of vinyl. Talking Heads, Eno and Andy Summers, Bill Evans, couple good Neil Youngs and 'Quah' by Jorma Kaukanon, all nice and clean.
    Now I'm on side 2 of New Chatauqua by Pat Metheny...my babysitter when I was, like, 9, used to listen to this a lot...really a gorgeous one.

I now have a spare copy of Harvest - N.Y. ...slab in good condition but sleeve is a bit beat-up. and Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (clean vinyl - WB run, not the green label...). If anyone wants these, just let me know....
    bobsticks will be taking those off of your hands. Shoot me a PM, if you wanna know his address.

Warm Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    bobsticks will be taking those off of your hands. Shoot me a PM, if you wanna know his address.

Warm Regards,
    jackass

A grey and cold winters day. Perfect for some atmospheric and damn right scary album.

"Blueneck - Scars of the Midwest"

This would not sound out of place on the Blair Witch Project.

Very nice.

Peace

Hey WS'ner!! Get ready, cuz you are about to crack...

Now spinning at 33.1/3 rpm...

American Beauty...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know exactly who they are, and I used to dig'em quite a bit back in da 90's. One of those I guess..... and a whole lot more.

Anyways, I've had this huge itch today to pull this album out since around lunch time. And BOY it is worth is.

Let me spell it out for you friends. Dark side of the Moon will remain to be one of the greatest and the most succesful album of all times, but it's really not that good. Maybe AB stays sounds much safer than DSOTM, and perhaps not very revolutionary or whatever, but AB and GD in general offer what others absolutely cannot. Kinda like vinyl setup. It's less consistant than digital, but when had it right, nothing will come close.
    To top it off, side 2 starts with Ripple...

Of course much of exaggeration are in place, cuz I've been wanting to listen to this album all day. But hey it just goes to show ya... maybe I'll finally pull out Dawn by Steven Halpern.

Keep it truckin', dude~!

Any Marshall Tucker Fans???

Finally got around to laying this one horizontal. The Marshall Tucker Band - Greatest Hits. What a surprise this turned out to be. The wax is in pristine condition, I assuming the fellow I got this from didn't like Country Rock the way it's meant to be played so he may of played it once or twice??.

The recording is one of the best non-audiophile grade vinyl I have, no audible surface noise even at a fairly high volume.

Although Country Rock is usually not my cuppa tea, I do like it when it's done right and this is one band that got it right.

So, if you have this one stashed away, I recommend that you dig it out and start tappin' your toes.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 01-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Oh yeah.... good stuff on that Marshall Tucker slab. I've also got Running Like The Wind and 3 others. I saw them in concert back in the 80's. Before the concert I spent most of the day at the Straussenfest. Best I can remember they didn't play many of the familiar songs and Dickie Betts who opened first was a heck of an act to follow. I haven't heard a Betts album I liked but he was on fire that night.

American Beauty...
    I'm more of a "Wake of the Flood" guy I guess..... but good album nonetheless, although I shy away from most of the Dead's Studio stuff.

Here's one from the Davey files. Occasionally when perusing the bins a name or a description will emerge from the catacombs of my beleagured brain and this was no different. Red Red Meat's There's A Star Above The Manger. Solid, twangy, and dissonant, makes a good backdrop for the more mundane afternoons of life.

...Makes me want to beat spoons against things, but perhaps instead a spin of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga afterwards...

James Brown: The Payback

Get down with yo bad self mutha ****a....this is James Brown and he's ready to payback the man. As good an album as James ever put out. Dirty funky soul.

"We don't know karate, we know k'razor"! Bobby- You gotta get Joe Sample's Old Places, Old Faces. His playing is just so beautiful on this. Charles Lloyd is on the date and while I could kick his ass for not being able to construct a solo, there is no denying his beautiful tone and nuance. Bernd- Those guys are frightening!
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Found: old-school techno-industrial megamix

Tracklist

Camoflage~That Smiling Face
    Book of Love~Tubular Bells
    DM/Ebb/NO/P.Schilling~MegaRave
    Camoflage~The Great Commandment
    Moev~Crucify Me
    Frontline Assembly~Digital Tension Dementia
    Die Krupps~Machineries of Joy
    Ebb/242~Mega

Jackhammah in Fat City....
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

That looks fun. Old industrial always brings a smile to my face. I'm listening to this...

The Fleshtones: Take A Good Look

Well, if you either A) already like The Fleshtones, or B) are a big fan of energetic, loose garage rock with a hint of soul, run don't walk to get this. If you fall into some other category of music lover, don't bother. No change ups here, nothing to convert the unconverted, but plenty to please the faithful.

Damien Rice ~ Live At The Union Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Here's one from the Davey files. Occasionally when perusing the bins a name or a description will emerge from the catacombs of my beleagured brain and this was no different. Red Red Meat's There's A Star Above The Manger. Solid, twangy, and dissonant, makes a good backdrop for the more mundane afternoons of life.
    Yea, there's some oddball stuff lodged in the dusty basement recesses of the Davey files. Last record before they morphed into Califone. Almost like a chronicle of all they had done before, and all they were gonna do in the future. One of my favorites, especially when I've got the spoons out and primed for some junkyard bangin percussion.

There’s a Star Above the Manger Tonight [2.2mb m4a live recording from Everybody's Mother Vol 1]

Been playing lots of Black Mountain on my end. Got my 70s groove on.

Dr John ~ Duke Elegant

Very interesting post, Jim.

I've revisited the album 3 times since your post. Perhaps "Experimental" is a vague word to use, when describing music. Let's just say it has unique sound for an album by BlueNote in mid 60's.

NP: Greg Osby - TheInvisibleHand.
    Since modern Jazz accompanied by Andrew Hill and others.

Great music!

JRA

Page 55 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information