Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Well, if you say you get the difference but still think Feanor just has a thing against Americans, then I won't argue with that... You're free to have your own opinion on his motivations.
    I said Feanor has a deep seated disdain for Americans, not "a thing", and not "hatred".
    Pix likes to be an @$$... Don't let his posts get to you... Though I do agree, that he shouldn't even be joking about you losing a job... I've lost a job before because of massive layoffs at my company (that's why I left Toronto and returned to the Caribbean)... it SUCKED (no other words are needed to describe the experience)...
    My history with pix goes way back Ajani. I appreciate your advice, but it's not needed.
    Also correct, but by now I think you know I tend to butt in every now and again...
    And I think by now you know that I am bitterly loyal and patriotic to the country my father fought to keep free. Cuts both ways dude.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Yes, a bit nasty in tone. I apologize for the tone but not the substance. My message is simply that American should have know better than to vote for Dubyah the first time, much less the second time.
    You do that a lot. But only when it's pointed out to you.

We voted for Bush because Bill Clinton and his wife were/are sleazy liars. They painted a really bad picture of the Democratic party.

And thanks for making me fail on my New Years resolution.

I am, overall, a great admirer of the United States of America. Thus I hold the country and its leadership to a high standard. Strong criticism of the US against a very high standard may be equated to mild criticism of a country of lessor stature against a much lower standard. But seemly some Americans feel it is presumptuous that their country should be criticized at all.
    Baffling us with bullsh!t.

Not presumptuous on my part. Big difference between flat out personally attacking the American populous and criticizing the country. But that's your trademark Feanor.

nightflier

Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but consider that sales from the ENTIRE home audio component market is somewhere around $1.2 billion. A couple of years ago, sales from the iPod ALONE were more than triple the entire home audio component industry. That's why Apple advertises on TV, and other audio companies do not.
    I'm no expert, but one possible solution is for 2-3 companies to share advertising space/time. I know it's done in newspapers and online, but couldn't it also be done on TV?

Another thought is infomercials. Again, I have no idea what these things cost, even late at night, but I gota believe they generate serious sales since they keep making them. A few nights ago I saw one for some kind of supper squeegie that can soak up a bucket full of water. Certainly a company like Audioquest or B&W can afford to do one of these, or perhaps split the cost of a 1/2 hour with two other companies.

I also think that the ads in the audio magazines are few and often from the same companies each month. And some companies never advertise (e.g. Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson) while others buy whole page ads (Ayre, PrimaLuna). It really seems to be a mystery to me about who spends what & where.

Never saw a Bose add in Stereophile, though.

To those who are getting redder by the minute, do you remember this: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Mebbe not an American quote, but a pretty good one to ponder upon, I think.

As far as Bose, etc., you gotta hand it to the guys for their marketing savvy. The other guys (CJ, AR, etc.) pretty much seem to have rested on their laurels and hoped that the boutiques would continue to thrive and that word-of-mouth would be sufficient to keep their names in the air. But what wasn't taken into account was the simple fact that hifi is a hobby that relies on niche marketing and did not take into account that it would be taken over by a mainstream that didn't give two hoots about DAC's and vacuum tubes. Bose new this, and played an expert game. While we afficianados pooh-poohed their wares, they went on, turning their eyes to the bigger market. Now that market has set its sights on ipods etc. I am certain that if Bose had taken some of their money and applied it to similar tech toys, the 1000 employees would be safe and snug as a bug at the end of day.

It dismays me when I see people make a generalization about how all Americans are or presume all Americans are a certain way. Sure...two presidential elections went in favor of George W. Bush, but by the slimmest of margins. Are the 50% of voters who voted for another candidate not a factor in how Americans are?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    So Feanor, are you, like pixass, hoping I get layed off?

ACTUALLY I dont hope anybody gets laid off, and if I THOUGHT that you might
    I WOULDNT JOKE ABOUT IT.
    Truth is TI has a strong military and commercial section that I heard is pretty
    reccession proof, just heard that, however.
    As for Feanor he needs to watch it, when the USA gets a cold the rest of the world gets pnumonia....
    AND WE ARE GETTING PNUEMONIA.
    Dont worry be happy rich, I am sure a guy with your skills....
    Oh, never mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Right you are GM. The genie ain't going back in the bottle. It is inevidable that standards of living will equalize across the globe. People here, (North American, Europe, Japan), need to remember that it won't entirely be poor countries rising to our standard of living -- our standard will be falling simaltaneously so as to meet theirs somewhere in the middle. In fact, working incomes US and Canada level off in the '80s and have declined significantly in the last decade -- like I said though, most haven't yet felt a drop in our living standards because we have be able to borrow -- 'till now -- to make up the decline.

Now, say you're guy whose just lost his job to somebody in China: how much do you feel you "owe" the Chinese guy? Are you glad that you can now buy for thing that you used to make for less because he now makes? Maybe so. But note that already (in a small degree) the Chinese worker has begun to experience the pressure of lower wages elsewhere. Of course the "elsewhere" isn't (yet) North American but, say, Bangladesh.

Tighten that belt buck, bro.

Its not inevitable, its what the powers that be want.
    Rob from the rich to give to the poor.
    AND THEN KILL THE POOR.
    Because the intention is NOT to help the poor but DESTROY THE RICH...
    especially the USA.
    Then, when everybodies equally starving to death along comes the man on the white
    horse, the PTB choosen stooge to rule for them...
    SOONER rather than later.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Just a frikin minute

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It dismays me when I see people make a generalization about how all Americans are or presume all Americans are a certain way. Sure...two presidential elections went in favor of George W. Bush, but by the slimmest of margins. Are the 50% of voters who voted for another candidate not a factor in how Americans are?
    Noob, please clarify: are you accusing me of making generalizations about Americans? My complaints have been with a certain consituency in the US, not all Americans. I though this was perfectly clear: maybe not.

On the other hand, there is another person here who has accused me of disdaining all Americans. I do not, but it serves his purpose to make the accusation since it is a way to shut me up without dealing with the ideas I put forward.

Well, his strategy has work: I'm out of political discussion for the foresesable future.

Suspended
    Well then you might as well just unsub from the site Feanor. You DO make generalization after generalization about Americans, lump us all together and call us stupid. Generalized racism is what I'd call it.

Let me clarify something. You apologized for the inflamatory statement I quoted from a different thread. What I should have responded with is that your history, when talking about politics (and you seem to enjoy turning just about ANY thread into political debate) is that you make inflamatory statements, blow some smoke as a way of covering up the wound, then for whatever reason, say you're sorry. Problem is, the damage has already been done and it's all there in print for anyone to read, anytime they want. And then you repeat the cycle again.

Aa, you're correct. It's a free country and everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. If Feanor wants to make inflamatory remarks about the US, I can't and won't stop him, but I'll surely return fire in kind. I'm proud of where I live.

Bill, I've told you before that IMO you're a valuable contributor to this audio/video forum, but your stock plumets in my mind (and I'm sure I'm not alone) when you reduce to Republican bashing. What A/V nut really gives a rats ass about politics???

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    What A/V nut really gives a rats ass about politics???
    Well I can't speak for myself, but I suspect many do as shows the number of threads revolving politics around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    As far as Bose, etc., you gotta hand it to the guys for their marketing savvy. The other guys (CJ, AR, etc.) pretty much seem to have rested on their laurels and hoped that the boutiques would continue to thrive...
    The size of potential markets for purchasing $350 table radios and $10k preamps is a bit different. Despite claims of niche companies making extraordinary profits from their *overpriced* goods, they have very little net margin with which to work.

rw

I'm sure B&W and Paradigm can afford to do a few ads... I'm not talking about buying a 2 minute slot in the middle of the Superbowl...
    Don't be so sure of that. Bose's revenue is probably multiples greater than B&W and Paradigm. While both of those companies are among the largest specialty speaker manufacturers, the specialty speaker segment as a whole represents a tiny industry. Given that both B&W and Paradigm are vertically integrated companies that heavily invest in R&D and manufacturing, I would guess that they would rather invest in their plants and products than divert funds to TV ads.

The other aspect to this is the name recognition. Bose is very easy to find because they distribute to mass merchandise stores. A TV ad works for them because consumers already know the brand and see the products everywhere. B&W and Paradigm have chosen to build their brand equity by selling only through specialty stores. They can go on TV, but unless they do this pervasively and keep up the campaign over the course of years, no one will care much for some unknown company doing an infomercial selling an expensive product.

Instead of just having ADs in the usual Stereophile, Absolute Sound etc.. buy a few spots in mags normal people read... It's not complicated... if they can afford ads in audio mags, then they can afford to cut back a little on those mags and try more mainstream ones...
    Problem here is would they rather take a shotgun approach at the mass market, or would they rather do a targeted approach to the specialty market? What approach gives them a higher rate of return on investment? The danger to going mass market is the dilution of product quality, and alienating your base market and dealer network. Paradigm and B&W operate their own plants (Paradigm goes as far as manufacturing its own drivers, crossovers, and active amps), but if a TV campaign creates a huge spike in demand, can they ramp up production while maintaining their product quality? Or do they bite the bullet and start outsourcing to China?

JBL showed the industry exactly how not to make a mass market transition when they began selling their products in discount stores and other mass merchandisers. They gained a foothold in big box stores, but they got dropped by nearly all of their specialty dealers in the process and pissed away their reputation in the process (once upon a time, a segment of the audiophile market actually spoke well of JBL).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I'm no expert, but one possible solution is for 2-3 companies to share advertising space/time. I know it's done in newspapers and online, but couldn't it also be done on TV?
    Unless you go the infomercial route, a 30-second spot means less screen time for each brand if you start combining things. The approach that might work would be joint marketing with retail chains. I know that CE companies do some of this for print ads and store displays. Who knows if they're not doing this already.

Another thought is infomercials. Again, I have no idea what these things cost, even late at night, but I gota believe they generate serious sales since they keep making them. A few nights ago I saw one for some kind of supper squeegie that can soak up a bucket full of water. Certainly a company like Audioquest or B&W can afford to do one of these, or perhaps split the cost of a 1/2 hour with two other companies.
    Big difference between trying sell a $20 Shamwow versus a $500 clock radio. Those Shamwow spots are everywhere, but for $20, they can sell millions of them. Bose has years of brand equity built in already. Their name recognition is on a level with Sony, that's why they can sell expensive items using an infomercial. Sony very well might be the only other CE company that can afford an infomercial campaign AND use its name recognition to actually sell a few products. B&W might have a good product to sell (e.g., their Zeppelin iPod dock), but half their challenge is getting people to remember the company name in the first place (i.e., do they also make the 3-series sedans?).

Forget about Audioquest. I doubt that they're big enough to do TV ads, and who the hell will actually sit through an infomercial about audio cables?

I also think that the ads in the audio magazines are few and often from the same companies each month. And some companies never advertise (e.g. Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson) while others buy whole page ads (Ayre, PrimaLuna). It really seems to be a mystery to me about who spends what & where.

Never saw a Bose add in Stereophile, though.
    I think you need to go back several years. Audio Research used to be huge on Stereophile print ads, and they probably made up about half of Stereophile's recommended amps and preamp. Same with Conrad Johnson. I have a feeling that those companies found their market niche, and are perfectly fine with how their sales are going without having to advertise. I recall that during Audio Research's ascendency, there were long waiting lists for their products.

If you go back to the 80s, Stereophile was not nearly as focused on the ultra expensive "silly segment" products as they are now. I do recall seeing an ad for the Bose 901, and the back issue that I recently received has print ads for a Yamaha CD player and an Onkyo tape deck.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier

bOse? how ose!

Auric,

I actually always considered Bose a natural fit with the iPod crowd. Design wise they are also cute (I know it's a matter of taste), small, and have a dumbed down, mass-market / CE interface. Much of their gear is also white. Maybe Bose would benefit from rounding the angular designs a bit, but otherwise it's a mystery why the Bose & iPod markets aren't more cozy. Maybe it's Bose's unrealistic price-point or a marketing dispute of some sort, but I think both Apple and Bose could benefit (profit-wise, more so that quality-wise of course) from a closer marketing relationship. Not doing so, is perhaps at their own detriment.

Wooch,

Didn't know about Sterophile's slightly checkered past. Good to know. I do wish they would cover more affordable gear, though, especially in this economy. Sure I don't mind reading about $30K Magico speakers, but considering how few people will actually buy a pair, it might not be necessary to do a full analysis of them. I was also intreged by YG Acoustics and the 2-page ads, while there doesn't seem to be a review anywhere. Then I saw that the speakers cost $30K and up. Maybe all that is going to pay for those ads?

Pix,

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Its not inevitable, its what the powers that be want.
    Rob from the rich to give to the poor.
    AND THEN KILL THE POOR.
    Because the intention is NOT to help the poor but DESTROY THE RICH...
    especially the USA.
    Then, when everybodies equally starving to death along comes the man on the white
    horse, the PTB choosen stooge to rule for them...
    SOONER rather than later.
    You seem to be suffering from a case of diarrhea of the brain. Wear a diaper around your mouth, will you?

I actually always considered Bose a natural fit with the iPod crowd. Design wise they are also cute (I know it's a matter of taste), small, and have a dumbed down, mass-market / CE interface. Much of their gear is also white. Maybe Bose would benefit from rounding the angular designs a bit, but otherwise it's a mystery why the Bose & iPod markets aren't more cozy. Maybe it's Bose's unrealistic price-point or a marketing dispute of some sort, but I think both Apple and Bose could benefit (profit-wise, more so that quality-wise of course) from a closer marketing relationship. Not doing so, is perhaps at their own detriment.
    I think Apple is actually the 800-pound gorilla in the audio industry right now. All of the products that dock with the iPod are licensed from Apple, and if you take a look at what crowds onto store shelves, iPod-capable products are moving into just about every audio segment. In this market, Bose is just another licensee and frankly, Apple's ads run circles around those from Bose (and just about everybody else).

Didn't know about Sterophile's slightly checkered past. Good to know. I do wish they would cover more affordable gear, though, especially in this economy. Sure I don't mind reading about $30K Magico speakers, but considering how few people will actually buy a pair, it might not be necessary to do a full analysis of them. I was also intreged by YG Acoustics and the 2-page ads, while there doesn't seem to be a review anywhere. Then I saw that the speakers cost $30K and up. Maybe all that is going to pay for those ads?
    I actually don't regard that as a checkered past. Stereophile used to be a more sensible publication that actually covered sensibly priced components, and ways that consumers could get more enjoyment out of their systems. If mass market company made a decent product, Stereophile would let its readers know. At that time, The Absolute Sound was nothing more than anti-digital propagandizing while Stereo Review often didn't even include listening tests -- Stereophile simply took the middle road and did quite well.

I think that Stereophile's evolution has more or less followed the high end audio market's move towards ultra expensive statement pieces and high priced accessories. There seems to be more orthodoxy that's governed by what people perceive as high end, as opposed to simply informing readers about what quality gear is on the market regardless of whether it comes from a "high end" company.

At one point a few years ago, Stereophile did review some budget priced mass market components, but I think many of their readers got so offended by the inclusion of $300 JBL speakers that Stereophile went back to audio porn.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Ajani
    I actually don't regard that as a checkered past. Stereophile used to be a more sensible publication that actually covered sensibly priced components, and ways that consumers could get more enjoyment out of their systems. If mass market company made a decent product, Stereophile would let its readers know. At that time, The Absolute Sound was nothing more than anti-digital propagandizing while Stereo Review often didn't even include listening tests -- Stereophile simply took the middle road and did quite well.

I think that Stereophile's evolution has more or less followed the high end audio market's move towards ultra expensive statement pieces and high priced accessories. There seems to be more orthodoxy that's governed by what people perceive as high end, as opposed to simply informing readers about what quality gear is on the market regardless of whether it comes from a "high end" company.

At one point a few years ago, Stereophile did review some budget priced mass market components, but I think many of their readers got so offended by the inclusion of $300 JBL speakers that Stereophile went back to audio porn.
    Stereophile still reviews the odd truly affordable components (PSB Alpha and Paradigm Atoms for example)...

Just about a month ago, we had a big debate on the Stereophile forums about why they review so much overpriced Audio Porn and so few affordable products... the simple answer from John Atkinson (not a direct quote, cuz I'm too lazy to go dig up one): was that Stereophile sells like hotcakes and the average amount of money Stereophile readers have invested in their setups is well over $16K...

Based on that response, most of us dropped the argument about reviewing more affordable gear.

Ajani
    Don't be so sure of that. Bose's revenue is probably multiples greater than B&W and Paradigm. While both of those companies are among the largest specialty speaker manufacturers, the specialty speaker segment as a whole represents a tiny industry. Given that both B&W and Paradigm are vertically integrated companies that heavily invest in R&D and manufacturing, I would guess that they would rather invest in their plants and products than divert funds to TV ads.

The other aspect to this is the name recognition. Bose is very easy to find because they distribute to mass merchandise stores. A TV ad works for them because consumers already know the brand and see the products everywhere. B&W and Paradigm have chosen to build their brand equity by selling only through specialty stores. They can go on TV, but unless they do this pervasively and keep up the campaign over the course of years, no one will care much for some unknown company doing an infomercial selling an expensive product.

Problem here is would they rather take a shotgun approach at the mass market, or would they rather do a targeted approach to the specialty market? What approach gives them a higher rate of return on investment? The danger to going mass market is the dilution of product quality, and alienating your base market and dealer network. Paradigm and B&W operate their own plants (Paradigm goes as far as manufacturing its own drivers, crossovers, and active amps), but if a TV campaign creates a huge spike in demand, can they ramp up production while maintaining their product quality? Or do they bite the bullet and start outsourcing to China?

JBL showed the industry exactly how not to make a mass market transition when they began selling their products in discount stores and other mass merchandisers. They gained a foothold in big box stores, but they got dropped by nearly all of their specialty dealers in the process and pissed away their reputation in the process (once upon a time, a segment of the audiophile market actually spoke well of JBL).
    I'm still not convinced that audio brands can't afford to advertise... My suspicion is that many of them are, like Stereophile, making enough money from their niche markets that they could care less about expanding...

I wonder if these brands even care how popular Bose is or whether it is just audiopsychos who feel offended by Bose.

I wonder if these brands even care how popular Bose is or whether it is just audiopsychos who feel offended by Bose.
    Does Lamborghini feel offended by how popular Kia's are?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

I'm still not convinced that audio brands can't afford to advertise... My suspicion is that many of them are, like Stereophile, making enough money from their niche markets that they could care less about expanding...

BOSE offends me.
    They are proof positive that the white hats rarely win in this world, they have brainwashed
    the masses into beleiving that they are the end all be all in not just home theater but
    home audio.
    I HAVE A B&W setup that run over 2500 bucks(yeah I KNOW, MODEST BY SOME STANDARDS) and do you know HOW many times I have been asked as to why I didnt buy "BOSE", or paticularly that my system is "nice" if I CANT AFFORD BOSE.
    You can talk about how their "bass modules" cant produce true base, or the midrange gap between their satelites and their "bass modules", the crappiness of the cheap materials
    they use, and the car stereo drivers they call speakers, nobody wants to hear it.
    When I CRANK my stuff up and the walls start shaking I tend to get a new beleiver,
    but its an uphill battle.
    Basically people listening to BOSE are missing out on the true musical sound they could be experiencing, and thats sad, really.
    EVERY time I see a bose product in its cheap plastic case I WANT TO UPCHUCK.
    I listened to a pair of their bookshelfs once, with a CD that I knew inside and out,
    entire instruments were missing.
    I hate for people to lose their jobs too, but I dont see why people need a job making CRAP.
    Not just crap, but CRAP SQUARED.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Stereophile still reviews the odd truly affordable components (PSB Alpha and Paradigm Atoms for example)...

Just about a month ago, we had a big debate on the Stereophile forums about why they review so much overpriced Audio Porn and so few affordable products... the simple answer from John Atkinson (not a direct quote, cuz I'm too lazy to go dig up one): was that Stereophile sells like hotcakes and the average amount of money Stereophile readers have invested in their setups is well over $16K...

Based on that response, most of us dropped the argument about reviewing more affordable gear.
    They will review a budget component every now and then, but it inevitably comes from a small specialty company that makes other high end models. They rarely if ever review a product from a mass market company, basically ceding that market over to Sound & Vision. I recall that there was an uproar a few years ago when Stereophile reviewed an inexpensive JBL speaker. And to me, that mindset among audiophiles is a problem. I guess that with Stereophile reviewing only a limited number of components in each issue, readers want their audio porn.

This is very different from the British audio magazines, which review upwards of 100 products in each issue. They don't seem as stymied by whether Company A is perceived by readers as a "high end" company. They'll review a budget HT receiver in the same issue as a Halcro amp. OTOH, their reviews are very short, and often don't include any technical data whatsoever.

It's a lot more complicated than that. As cited in my JBL example, when a company decides to go mass market, they don't just add the mass market to their current sales totals. They also potentially need to subtract sales from current dealers that will drop them once they start getting in bed with mass merchandisers. Generally, regional and independent audio stores don't like to support their competitors, and would rather pick up a new specialty brand than support a company that doesn't support them. The rise of companies like Paradigm, Energy, and PSB coincided with the decline of JBL in the specialty audio market.

I'm sure that B&W and Paradigm have the money to run a few ads, but also consider that if they go toe-to-toe with Bose, then their ads would consume a far higher percentage of total revenue, since Bose's revenues are much higher overall. They might spur some sales, but the product quality might nosedive in the process along with their finances.

I don't think they care, because these audio brands have staked out their market niche, and decided that the mass market is not worth the ramp up in sales, manufacturing, and customer support. If they go mass market, they go into a completely different business model. Bose is popular because they cater to the mass merchandising distribution channels. Their competition at that level is Sony, Logitech, JVC, JBL, et al. B&W and Paradigm purposely stay out of the mass merchandising market.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier
    Maybe it's the case that companies who advertise and go for the mass market, are likely to also be public, whereas those that don't, will tend to be privately held. Perhaps the stock holders, who may not even care about the audiophile quality of the products, have more influence on what a company does than we may want to admit.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Fine, that was a nasty post.... and based on the tone I'm going to assume it was part of a quarrel... Posts made during quarrels are not always the best reflection of what someone really thinks...

I've seen (and to some extent been involved in) some of the political exchanges between you and Feanor... Feanor has a lot of very strong opinions on American Politics and you 'appear' to dislike hearing foreigners' opinions on your country... This is a perfect recipe for misunderstandings...

I don't think Feanor hates Americans... What happens in America affects all of us foreigners and so we watch your elections and politics with held breath, hoping that we won't all get screwed if the American public votes for the wrong guy... America is like the musclebound jock in high school... if he chooses to use his brain and be a nice guy, then he can be a role model to the whole school, but if he decides to be a bully then everyone starts hiding...

You need to understand that there is a difference between hating someone and just being afraid of what they might do...
    Unfortunately Ajani, I do not go to the polls and vote in a way that makes other countries more comfortable. If I vote for what I decide is good for my country, and it makes other countries uncomfortable, that's too bad I am afraid. I do not see citizens in other contries voting in a way that makes American more comfortable, the palestinians certainly didn't voting Hamas into power.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 01-23-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

While I sense the growing trend of mediocre, consumer-oriented fare in the hifi marketplace, I am heartened by knowing that folks like us are in place. This being the case, perhaps more august manufacturers will be spurred to continue their craft, even if the mainstream appeal makes doing so increasingly expensive and inaccessible.

Without the drive to improve, I am afraid that Wooh's prophesy of dilution of quality might bear out. This will certainly be the case of individuals who are more interested in making more green in the short term. On the other hand, brands that matter will not be so likely to cave to these pressures, realizing the suicidal implications of doing so.

I like the photo one of the Members posted a while back, of a grandson listening to some tunes on a nice, bulky pair of ear-cans. That post gave me some satisfaction that folks were still engaging each other in this dialog we share within this website. Music does matter, as much now as it did when we fell in love with it. Keeping the fire kindled here and with our youg 'uns is as good a way to keep it goin' than any other.

Not aimed at you

Noob, please clarify: are you accusing me of making generalizations about Americans? My complaints have been with a certain consituency in the US, not all Americans. I though this was perfectly clear: maybe not.
    I have not read most of the political threads around here, although I do read the new ones. Whether or not you have the disdain you were accused of having...beats me. It's common knowledge there are many people who have a preconceived notion about all 300 million of us. Of course, there are many in the USA who have a preconceived notion about all 20 million of us Texans...so certainly it's human nature.

Maybe it's the case that companies who advertise and go for the mass market, are likely to also be public, whereas those that don't, will tend to be privately held. Perhaps the stock holders, who may not even care about the audiophile quality of the products, have more influence on what a company does than we may want to admit.
    That's a good point. Publicly traded companies are all about earnings and revenue growth, and creating value for shareholders. CEOs by definition are tasked with those goals. If they fail to create shareholder value, then the boards are obligated to dump them.

The example that comes to mind is Boston Acoustics. They started off by updating the New England sound. Once they went public, they strayed pretty far from their roots. Dumped the acoustic suspension designs and soft dome tweeters, and began producing metal domes and ported boxes. Then they dived headlong into sub/sat home theater systems, clock radios, and on-wall speakers. I recall that their revenue was always in the low eight-figure range -- not very big for a publicly traded company. They went private a couple of years ago when they were acquired by D&M Holdings (which itself seems to be constantly positioning to be acquired).

A private company like Audio Research can just settle into whatever niche they feel comfortable with, and operate without any pressure from shareholders or equity partners to keep pushing for double digit growth. In its early days, Audio Research could have grown pretty big because at that time they were one of the pioneering companies that specialized exclusively with high end components. They had a huge waiting list, but they chose to stay small. That might have kept them in business since that high end space is a lot more crowded nowadays.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information