Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I would try this company first. http://www.dlplampsource.com/e-store...=1016181377040

Once you have the part number needed, you can check Google & Ebay for the best pricing.
    Cool, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I believe that Canon still designs, manufactures, and assembles all of HP's printers, and the badge on the front is just that, a badge. The big difference, is that the price difference between Canon and HP printers isn't $2K.

I'm really surprised that Lexicon is sticking to their guns, not just because of the negative popular press, but also considering the negative response it will be getting from the audio community. As has been pointed out, it calls all hi-fi into question and could affect sales across this industry, especially in this economy. I sure hope Michael Fremer doesn't come out in defense of Lexicon....
    It's one heck of a big degree though. That's like saying that cutting your finger and chopping your head off are the same thing. Just a matter of degree.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier

Not if you're a....

It's one heck of a big degree though. That's like saying that cutting your finger and chopping your head off are the same thing. Just a matter of degree.
    ...tapeworm.

Just kidding, yes, I think the crux of the issue is the huge price difference. As someone who just paid $1300 for a rebadged Oppo (albeit modded, too), I can tell you that it took a lot of second-guessing before I was willing to do that, especially w/o hearing it first. My results were positive, but I also realize that I'm one of only a handful of people who happened to have a regular Oppo on hand to compare it with (and a preamp with two MC inputs). I wonder how many Lexicon owners also had an Oppo on hand - my guess is that Lexicon was hoping very few people who would pay $2.5K for a player would even bother with a $500 one. I guess they forgot about the reviewers.

Suspended
    I don't see how Fremer could defend Lexicon unless he has some proof to back it up. Also, in your case NF you knew it was an Oppo with mods. Those who bought a Lexicon expected a Lexicon. I guess they figure the best defense is to act like they did nothing wrong.

I also wonder if the reason NAD's first player came and went so fast is because of it's striking resemblence to an LG.

Ajani
    Considering the Kal Robinson reviewed the Lexicon, I don't see how or why Fremer would be commenting on it....

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    ...tapeworm.

Just kidding, yes, I think the crux of the issue is the huge price difference. As someone who just paid $1300 for a rebadged Oppo (albeit modded, too), I can tell you that it took a lot of second-guessing before I was willing to do that, especially w/o hearing it first. My results were positive, but I also realize that I'm one of only a handful of people who happened to have a regular Oppo on hand to compare it with (and a preamp with two MC inputs). I wonder how many Lexicon owners also had an Oppo on hand - my guess is that Lexicon was hoping very few people who would pay $2.5K for a player would even bother with a $500 one. I guess they forgot about the reviewers.
    There are some people out there with more money than they know what to do with. Many of them are willing to pay a lot extra just to be able to say that they have something that is not the same as everyone else's. (or in this case, just not look the same as everyone else's) Most of them don't research what they are buying. They just buy the most expensive one they can find.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Harmon Industries which owns Lexicon does this throughout it's products. They have custom JBL lines with some eq being re-badged Lexicon stuff. Example, the JBL AVA7 is a 7 channel amp which is basically a clone of the Lexicon GX-7, but cheaper and in black.
    Here is the JBL site....http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

Honestly, I purchase JBL when my budget is tight because I know either the trickle down effect is in play or a re-badge of some type has taken place.
    I just hope my Revels are not re-badged JBLs....lol.

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

Wow you're right it does look like a Lexicon!

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

(Hee hee hee hee...)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Bose!

Suspended
    There are some people out there with more money than they know what to do with. Many of them are willing to pay a lot extra just to be able to say that they have something that is not the same as everyone else's. (or in this case, just not look the same as everyone else's) Most of them don't research what they are buying. They just buy the most expensive one they can find.
    You are not kidding. I have witnessed this in person many times when Soundex had the big store. I would watch a guy come in one day and drop 20k and then see him there two weeks later trading the stuff in for something 30k.

I also have some well off friends and they seem to judge everything on how much it cost and not it's actual value.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    You are not kidding. I have witnessed this in person many times when Soundex had the big store. I would watch a guy come in one day and drop 20k and then see him there two weeks later trading the stuff in for something 30k.

I also have some well off friends and they seem to judge everything on how much it cost and not it's actual value.
    If I had their kind of money, I might do the same thing.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Harmon Industries which owns Lexicon does this throughout it's products. They have custom JBL lines with some eq being re-badged Lexicon stuff. Example, the JBL AVA7 is a 7 channel amp which is basically a clone of the Lexicon GX-7, but cheaper and in black.
    Here is the JBL site....http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

Honestly, I purchase JBL when my budget is tight because I know either the trickle down effect is in play or a re-badge of some type has taken place.
    The Lexicon MC-12HD:

Looks nothing like the JBL Synthesis SDP40HD:

Now, to be fair to Harmon... They have generally shared cosmetics and technology within the group... The Revel Concerta, Infinity Beta and JBL Northridge Speakers all shared common aesthetics and used similar driver materials... Many reviews have compared these speakers against one another and there have always been differences, though whether the differences were worth it is left up to the consumer to decide...

Sad, but it seems so often, that common sense just goes out the window for some folks who think that expenditure and quality go hand in hand. I reckon just about anyone is prey, and there are impostors and charlatans alike, all lining up at the door to get a piece. Whether it's audio equipment, cars, cigars, wristwatches, neckties, or whatever, niche markets are funny places frequented by funny people. Sorry is the lot of they who view the crazy spectacle from the sidelines who jump in when they're flush knowing absolutely nothing about anything when they do. Guess, I'll just sit back in my chair here and laugh my asp off...while I drink a drink from my special order super duper one-of-a-kind beer...!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    The Lexicon MC-12HD:

Looks nothing like the JBL Synthesis SDP40HD:

You're right. One is black and one is silver...what are you talking about!?! They're carbon copies!!!

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You're right. One is black and one is silver...what are you talking about!?! They're carbon copies!!!
    U sure? But they look like totally different to me... Come on, one is black and the other is silver, there's no comparison...

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    U sure? But they look like totally different to me... Come on, one is black and the other is silver, there's no comparison...

Heh, well done, but maybe too dry?

Literally, carbon copies... I wonder what the price difference is

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Heh, well done, but maybe too dry?
    lol... yep... way too dry... that's why I had to get the pics together (else I look like I forgot to take my meds, rather than that I'm being sarcastic)...

Yeah...But it's black...!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

From Home Theatre Review

http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon...ayer-reviewed/

"I am sure people will attack this player as a "rebadged" Oppo, so I went out and bought an Oppo BD-83 SE in order to fairly compare the two. First off, there is no comparison between the build quality of the two players. The Oppo is lighter and the buttons have a far less solid feel to them. The Lexicon is a taller, much heftier unit. Black levels were close, but the Lexicon had a more natural contrast and color palette than the Oppo. More importantly, the Lexicon was nearly totally silent when loading discs and changing tracks. Those familiar with the Oppo know it is a rather noisy player when loading discs, switching tracks and scanning, even sometimes for no apparent reason. The drive is in the Oppo is noisy enough to catch my attention during quiet passages in movies, while the Lexicon is inaudible during use at all times."
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    From Home Theatre Review

"I am sure people will attack this player as a "rebadged" Oppo, so I went out and bought an Oppo BD-83 SE in order to fairly compare the two. First off, there is no comparison between the build quality of the two players. The Oppo is lighter and the buttons have a far less solid feel to them. The Lexicon is a taller, much heftier unit. Black levels were close, but the Lexicon had a more natural contrast and color palette than the Oppo. More importantly, the Lexicon was nearly totally silent when loading discs and changing tracks. Those familiar with the Oppo know it is a rather noisy player when loading discs, switching tracks and scanning, even sometimes for no apparent reason. The drive is in the Oppo is noisy enough to catch my attention during quiet passages in movies, while the Lexicon is inaudible during use at all times."
    But then one must make the personal decission: are these differences really worth $2500 less the Lexicon dealer discount -- upon which one would certainly insist.

Bear in mind the AudioAdvisor reviewer felt the machines were indentical internally; the black level difference, etc., could just be unit to unit variation.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    From Home Theatre Review

I read the review and many of the responses to it. The outcry was so loud, so venemous and so overwhelming that HomeTheatreReview has changed it's comment process. You now have to have a facebook account to comment on reviews. In otherwords, no more anonymous comments attacking their Lexicon product and more important, the HTR reviewer who's desperately trying to spin Lexicon out of this mess.

It is a mess simple and plain and the responses of HTR, it's reviewer and Lexicon are quite patently sad. As for their review? I have never heard any of the "noise" this reviewer is referring to with my Oppo? Actually I wonder just how long he spent listening and evaluating the Oppo on its on, without this controversy clouding his mind. Well, in the end, folks vote with their pocket books and the polls haven't closed yet.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    But then one must make the personal decission: are these differences really worth $2500 less the Lexicon dealer discount -- upon which one would certainly insist.

Bear in mind the AudioAdvisor reviewer felt the machines were indentical internally; the black level difference, etc., could just be unit to unit variation.
    Just the messenger Bill. I thought this was funny actually, $2500 premium for a new face plate. a little dampening and possibly a bench calibration is absurd.

LDB

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As for their review? I have never heard any of the "noise" this reviewer is referring to with my Oppo? Worf
    My 981 is almost dead silent also, at least from my listening position.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information