Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Not sure of the advent model number

That was a long time ago, mid 70's, when I baught that first system. I remember buying the 3-way advents with the "wazooo" bass reflex 12 woofer from a new electronics place at the time, Service Merchandice. They were pretty efficient and played very very loud is about all I remember about em. Sorry, the model # has dissapeared into the haze of the past for me. I eventually blew all 4 of the advents up in colledge I remember. So I traded the poineer plus cash in on an NAD reciever, 2 AR studio monitors with stands and 2 almost new Magnaplaner's. Still have the NAD and the AR's. 20 years old they still sound pretty good in my bedroom.
    Take care

Forum Regular
    That I ever owned...

Altec Lansing Computer speakers with subwoofer (that doesnt go to sub freq) - Active

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    They were my first speakers too. I had them only couple of years, though.

I traded mine for AR7's. The AR's offer significantly better detail and, as I recall -- both speakers are gone these many years -- a bit better tonal balance. For sure though, the AR's didn't have as deep bass.
    What were AR7s? I don't remember. My first speakers were AR4x which I thought of as baby AR3a. They weren't, I loved 'em but they were deficient top and bottom. I lusted after AR6 which came out a couple of years after I bought the 4x.

I then moved on to Large Advents, which I viewed as another attemp to duplicate AR3as at a lower cost. I worked in a stereo store and had plenty of time to A/B the Advents and the AR3as. The ARs did have an advantage in the lower midrange (or upper bass), probably due to their 3-way design vs. the 2-way Advents.

Last question: are most of us that old?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lattybuck
    So I traded the poineer plus cash in on an NAD reciever, 2 AR studio monitors with stands and 2 almost new Magnaplaner's. Still have the NAD and the AR's. 20 years old they still sound pretty good in my bedroom.
    Take care
    What are AR "studio monitors"?

Forum Regular

Smile

A pair of Wharfedale Lintons finished in oiled Teak. But my real lust was for a pair of Tannoy Lancasters with the 12" Dual Concentric drivers.

Forum Regular

AR speaker models

To Robotczar

I had to look at the back of my old AR's to see the model number. Been a while since I even moved em. They are Model 780/2 sitting on 30" stands. 20 years old and still going strong though. Along with the pans they are one of the better buys I think I ever made sound wise. Just a litttle bright at top and a little heavy on bass but very smooth in the middle. Perfect match with the pans at the time which were just a little light at the very top and bottom. I used them as back speakers and the maggies in front.

Forum Regular

Talking M/S 902's and 908's

My first speakers were the Mordaunt Short 902's so as you can gues, im quite new to all this, only 15 years old at the moment. A few months after i bought these, i bought a pair of Mordaunt Short 908's for the fronts in my home cinema system. Both beautiful sounding speakers, though the 908's do have a little too much bass, it can be over-powering, i would not go as far to say they were "boomy" though as many people have said.

Mid-Fi
    Bose Acoustimass 5 double cubes. Good sound for its size. Then I realized they are not audiophile's choice. As I moved and got a bigger living room, I changed to Klipsch floor standing speaker, upgraded my 1601 to Denon 3802 receiver. I got much better sound from the whole HT system. For musicm it is not too bad as well.

Forum Regular
    Boston Acoustics A70 MkII.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    A pair of Royals from Zodys.
    Look & Listen

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    KLH 6s I think that was the model #
    I still have a pair of these!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

wow...what a long road...

first we're from a all in one record player w/detachable speakers that I would lay over my head and listen to hours of Stepppenwolf, the Who, Blood Sweat n Tears...
    then fisher rack system...(big time junk)
    then Bose 501's
    then Altec Lancing (PA type with 6 - 6" driver and horn)
    then a set of AR (bookshelves) sweet sounding
    then baby Advents
    then Paradigm titans
    then Paradigm Mon. 9's
    then Paradigm Ref. 40's v.2
    then Paradigm Ref. 100's v.2
    then nOrh 3.0's
    Then nOrh 4.0 (center)
    then JBL L5's
    then Klipsch Chours II's (great/fun speakers w/tubes)
    Protron book shelves

in the crystral ball....

Maggies

ML Prodigies...woohoo

Legacy's Whispers

ahhh...the fun never ends

Peace, Pogue

in the furture
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Thumbs up

My first pair of speakers was the JBL HLS410 and I got them 7 years agao. I am 20 years old now so I was 13 years old when I got them and they sounded great for my first pair. My dad got them at Best Buy. Even now I still think they sound very clear and percise.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SpankingVanillaice; 02-27-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Forum Regular

First Real Pair

Well the first pair was a Sears combo, that I can't even remember the name, but it was one of those all attached with glass door on the bottom.

But the first real ones that I saved 8 months for, was a pair of Technics with 12" woofers, I had all the bass in the world, and when my mom was not home, I would open my front door as a child and crank it as loud as I could. Also it was driven by a Sherwood 100pc Receiver.

Currently I am happy with my B & W's, diven by a great hafler amp and preamp.

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    My very first pair of speakers was when I was 12 back in ' 74. It was part of the complete combo set from Precor, their Model 1018 AM/FM stereo receiver with built-in BSR record changer and dual 4" fullrange speaker enclosures! Hot damn, it was the best system a kid could ever want! I later purchased a top loading cassette deck from RadioShack to complete the package. The Precor sounded like crap, but it was better than anything my friends had!

A year or two later I saved up all my paper route money and finally bought a real stereo system...a Technics SA-5170 stereo AM/FM receiver with 25 WPC, a Technics 616 cassette deck with Metal EQ and Dolby, a Technics SL-210 belt drive manual 'table with an audio-technica MM cartridge, and for speakers...Audiotek 2-way bookshelf speakers with 2" cone tweeters and 6" paper woofers (damn, I don't know what sounded worse, these Audioteks or the Precors)!

When I joined the Army, it took me 3 more years until I finally purchased a real audio system (Carver, Nakamichi, and Denon) and bought a pair of ' 83 JBL L112 Century II 3-way monitors...you could hear these babies throughout the entire 3rd floor of the barracks!
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=jamison]I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.

Fun post, took me back to when I was 14 and had saved my baby sitting money to purchase a stereo system. I'm embarrased to admitt this now but I had went to the local Kmart and purchased a Receiver that bundleed a speaker package, I purchased a separate turntable and cartridge(CD's did not yet exist). The receiver name was Silver Marshall, not sure who made these components back then but I remeber the speakers were huge and they really cranked the bass.

Trust me, at 14 most of my other gal friends still had close N plays or those old rack systems that were polular late 70's early 80's.

Forum Regular
    Criterion bookshelve's...they were fantastic.

Little KEF's

I had a little pr. of KEF 8" 2-ways whose model number I can't remember. These were the first speaker I had that had any soundstage to speak of though the bottom end was non-existent.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular
    My first of speakers were fisher price when I was a child. My first pair of "real" speakers were Lyric 3 way with 12 inch woofers when I was 15. My first pair of "real" speakers with my own money saved were Pioneer 3 way 15's when I was 15 1/2.

Forum Regular

Hand me downs...

My first pair of speakers were my dad's JBL Century L-100's. When I got them they were about 15 years old, the foam grills had disintergrated into nothing and a tweeter was bad.
    I got the tweeter fixed, got some replacement grills from Rat Shack and I was in business.

Those JBL's had that classic full bass sound that were great for R&B, rock, and jazz fusion which is pretty much all I listened to back then.

When I moved out of the house I left the speakers behind (They're still there I believe...hmmmm) and I bought some Yamaha NS1000's to replace them. Those are technically the first speakers I ever paid for.

Forum Regular

ARs

First "good" pair of speakers were AR 58bxi. I got them new in their boxes at an estate sale for $100.00 (they retailed for $800.00 at the time). An old guy died before he had a chance to set them up and enjoy them.
    Luckily I enjoyed them enough for both of us.
    Wish I could find a pair.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Infinity

My first speakers were Infinity Reference 81 mk II, driven by Onkyo HT amp DS-501. I used them for more than two years, I would say that they were OK up until I heard KEFs. Now I have a pair of KEF Q 35.2, they sound a lot better.

AR Newbie Registered Member

WOW-That's a blast from the past........

Many of years ago..........

JBL 100's
    Drove em" about 5 years......

Since then,,,,,,Bose 901's
    1st set lasted 14 years,,,,, $400 trade up, to the Series VI

Add a top notch powered sub..........Awesome.......

"Always get your daily dose of Carlos"

Forum Regular
    My first pair of speakers were Radio Shack Nova bookshelf speakers. I can't remember the model number. A year or so after that I bought a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 4A's. The Polks still serve me well today as a set of speakers in my bedroom set-up.

Forum Regular
    My first set up was 2 10" 3-way kenwoods and 2 10" 3-way jvcs. These speakers were fun and the kenwoods would just shut off if you went too loud, reset, and play like new again. I had an amp that I got from a friend that I fixed and the part I fixed eventually died again. The speakers were sold because they had to be, I had no choice.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information