Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyx
    My 15 inches gives her a headache,...))
    Uh, Suuuuure?

Hell, my wife would be afraid of that!

LOL

I grew up with a pair of JBL L65s, which had the vintage JBL "west coast" sound, but also incorporated a lot of very interesting features. It used a pure walnut cabinet with a glass insert at the top, which made the thing look more like fine furniture. It was a three-way speaker with alnico magnets in the mid driver and woofer with adjustable levels on each driver, and the tweeter used a plexiglas prism, which I'd never seen before or since. The things are now sitting in my parents' garage with rotted out foam surrounds. JBL can do a factory restoration of those models for $300, but I'm not sure if that vintage JBL sound is worth it to me.

The first speakers I actually bought were the Boston Acoustics A40s, which cost $150 a pair in the mid-80s. Those acoustic suspension speakers took their cue from the other classic "New England" designs of the time like AR and Advent, but made the sound livelier while retaining the refinement and tonal balance. Perfect speakers for dorm and apartment living, so perfect in fact that I kept them as my everyday speakers for about 14 years, and still have them setup in the spare bedroom. I always liked the sound of the Boston A series speakers, and thought they really lost their way when they abandoned the acoustic suspension design, and started cranking out ported speakers. Their first efforts with metal tweeters also pretty awful, but they seem to have somewhat regained their footing more recently.

Forum Regular

Hello, Wooch...

...the only problem with the A40s (AFAIC) is that it is the only speaker in the old "A" line NOT using the SEAS soft-dome. I will admit - I have not heard the 40 in many years. I bought them for my sister back in the mid eighties, and she still has them in her basement. I can remember trying to ween her off the gigantic boxed speakers of that era's "rack" systems... right - like she ever cared. I WILL dig them up, however.

Aw, well... it was a nice X-mas present at one time!

P.S. I feel the new Boston stuff is competitive with low-level Paradigm, B&W, Energy, Def Tech, blah, blah....

Forum Regular
    The first pair of speakers that I owned were the big three-ways which were included with my Fisher rack system in the mid-80's. I thought they sounded pretty good at the time.

My first '"real" pair of speakers were the dbx Soundfield 3x2 sub/sat system which I purchased from the DAK catalog for around $225 in '91(?). They immediately blew me away and several of my friends and relatives couldn't believe the big(but detailed and very smooth) sound coming from such small and inexpensive package. I still have them(and love 'em) but they've been relegated to rear surround duty...still working like a champ although I DID have to replace one of the 6" woofers in the sub enclosure. If I had known how easy it would be to find used pairs of these speakers on ebay(when I was setting up my HT speaker rig in '99...I went with Aura's for the front stage) then I probably would've went that route. I still think they sound great and are kinda overkill for rear surround duty. That being said, I recently picked up the Pioneer DV-563A universal disc player and I'm happy that I already had an excellent pair of speakers in the rear.

Forum Regular

Large Advents in college..

...walnut veneer with green cloth caged tweeters...about 24 inches high...the foam surround rotted out and they sat in the garage...gave them to a friend 10 years ago and they rebuilt the drivers...Very good speakers then...those closed box suspension speakers sounded great then, but unacceptable now as very localized sound and 6 ohms as I recall and inefficient...Henry Kloss, the designer was a genius for about 10 years which is an eternity these days with electronics so thats a compliment.

Forum Regular
    My first speakers were EPI 100's
    Passed them on to my brother as a wedding gift along with a Sherwood reciever and Philips 212 turntable.
    Moved on to Heil AMT 4's
    Currently listening to Magnapans

Forum Regular
    JBL L-50s, circa 1978. And I still own them. They've been re-coned and are part of my bedroom system. Still sound good 25 yrs later and although I've owned many different speakers since then, I'm emotionally attached to the JBLs. Too bad JBL doesn't make speakers of that quality anymore...

C-v

My first speakers...

Cerwin-Vega PD-15X's. These were essentially disco speakers.

15" woofer
    Horn midrange
    Compression tweeter
    Vented enclosure, about 103db/1w/1m

Talk about LOUD! these things were meant for a large disco room. They had that boomy bass and well, could get really, really LOUD.

They were definately NOT hifi, but they were resonably clear and could handle whatever music, albiet with NO finesse at all.

Did I mention they were LOUD?
    Last edited by Sealed; 02-08-2004 at 06:19 AM. Reason: syntax

Alright my first stereo was a Casio Boom Box type of system that looked like it had a 5" woofer and a 1" tweeter, haha but the tweeter was there just for show. Then i got a pair of DIY speakers from my dad that he made about 20 years ago. Not bad actually, 6 1/2" woofer and Piezo tweeter, highs were a little harsh, but these got pretty loud. I'm still using them as my surrounds and aren't moving any time soon. First speakers I bought with my own money were Jensen C-7's, I modified them buy putting in a titanium bullet tweeter and sound pretty nice. I'm trying to sell these for my next DIY project.

-Joey

Forum Regular

First Speakers

It was 1970 and I was 19 and the new audio buyer for a small chain of audio boutiques. I guess I was doing a pretty good job 'cuz one day my boss tells me to take my pick of any equipment I might want for my own system. I thought he meant to borrow at first, but it was a reward to keep. I tried not to be too greedy, but....couldn't help myself. I went with all Marantz components, 200 rms power amp, preamp and tuner, Revox 15" reel to reel tape deck, Garrard turntable and a big pretty pair of the Pioneer Cs-63dx speakers, 15" woofer 4-way. The wood cabinets and grilles are seldom seen like that anymore. They rocked. My friends wanted to kill me with their envy. It was a very nice bonus.

Forum Regular

unknown set of Magnavox speakers

I was about 12 when I got my first GE ministereo CD player in 94, I thought it sounded pretty good at the time. A friend of mine that year gave me a set of big Magnavox speakers that blew me away (hardly anything 'audiophile' grade, he got them for 10 bucks at a fair). They could only handle 15 watts, but they sounded REALLY good with my dad's 70's Sansui 25 watt QRX-5500 receiver. The way the reciever made the woofers move in and out were incredible (they seem to push out a lot of air, and was very good with bass). I ended up tearing off the cloth grill it rattled so much. They were crap when I drove them with my 120 watt Pioneer A88x amp, it sounded loud but the woofer cones didn't move much, and there was little bass. They sounded really sweet with the Sansui.

I regret giving up the Sansui receiver as I now have a set of CV E715's (I've always wanted to own a set of these since I was little). I'm curious to see how different it would sound with this receiver, as the CV's are highly efficient. I drive them with the pioneer amp and am a bit unsatisfied with the way they sound.

About the Magnavox, I'm not sure what model they were but came with it's own receiver. The design was somewhat unique as it didn't look like a typical "box." The front part was split, so each side faces in two different directions, instead of just fowards. This was good for imaging. I really miss those speakers...

Cerwin Vegas

Typical 1970s era Cerwin Vegas were part of my first stereo system when I was about 12 or 13. The first speakers that I actually invested meaningful audition time before plunking down my hard-earned cake were a pair of Spica TC50s. Loved those speakers. My sister inherited them, and a few months ago I re-inserted them in my system to remind me of what was...some of the magic was still there, but they did sound rather veiled and closed in on top, in comparison to my then Epos M15s. But that midrange was still magical, and that world class imaging was still there in abundance.

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    This is a great topic, my first speakers were a pair of sansui S-57's( Technics rec.) , They were junk but I didnt know it, at 16 years old. Like with the Mach ones, I had the best stereo in the neighborhood. Had these for 2 years and bought cerwin vega's ,Then bought a larger set of cerwin vega's(HK int amp), then a pair of Design aucoustics point source 10. I now have a pair Klipsch legands and klipsch SF-3's(Adcom amps.). This topic is great because I feel it can bring us all back to earth, and better understand Threads about low end equiptment. Lets help them improve their systems without telling them to buy a Krell. People on this forum are quite knowlegable, they really know their stuff, but its a little much for a guy trying to upgrade from technics or the like.

Forum Regular

first speakers ever

My first speakers were this small acoustic suspension all heavy metal Technics SB-F2 on tripods

they sound awesome!!

this was in Lima Peru

Smile How about a pair of Pyramid Reds?

Yeah laugh all you want, but it was the first pair of speakers I OWNED. Back in 8th grade I got a pair of these 8" subs by trading an issue of Playboy and a dollar, he gave me the speakers and I made a box out of a fish tank, subs inverted so it works sorta like a bandpass box, then hooked up to a home-made 10watt/channel amp. I also got my first computer at the time and surprisingly the monitor has a built-in amp(7watt/channel!), so I went out and bought an active subwoofer crossover(for car, but I had a 12v power supply) and used my computer speakers as mains and the fishtank box as my low end. It got pretty loud, pissed off my sister so goal accomplished!

Forum Regular

Kef 104 were my first serious speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.

my first pair of speakers i bought for myself i saved up $450 and purchased a pair of Realistic Mach 1's. they were driven by a pioneer intergrated amp with 100 WPC. I was 16 at the time and all my friends were envious of me. i was the only one in my circle of friends to own a pair of speakers with monster thumping woofers. Those speakers lasted all the way into the early 90's. those were fun speakers they were not audiophile speakers
    but they had a ton of fun factor built into them.

my system is ten times better than what i had as a child, but the fun factor isnt as great.
    you know what everyone says radio shack speakers were junk but if you look at the reviews on them on here they are highly rated the only problem with them was foam rot out.
    http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Spea...x.aspx#reviews
    My first serious system used Kef 104 speakers, large 2-way bookshelf types with an oval passive radiator. The .75 inch tweeter was crossed over at 3000 Hz, which is really too high for the very clean 8 inch woofer, as the off axis dispersion between about 1000 Hz and 2500 Hz was down, but it was quite good on axis. It was a listening window speaker and with proper placement could sound very, very good. Something blew in one of the crossovers and I later had the 104aB crossover installed, so they became Kef 104aB speakers. The last I knew, they were still in use.

My first system actually was a Grundig receiver, turntable and speakers. Fortunately, the turntable had a little Grado cartridge, with though cheap was an astonishing performer, tracking about as well as the top-line Shure V-15. This no doubt saved the records I bought then! The little ported speakers actually had a woofer and tweeter, and could be made to sound pleasant.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

embarassing but true

i actually fell for the "off the back of a van" trick when i was a teenager. i think they were called acoustic research or something. these punks had the whole case worked out: they were delivery guys that got overstocked and were trying to make a quick buck, bs, bs, bs. they had big 10 inch woofers and were covered in carpet. i dont think they ever made it out of the box because my dad quickly reminded me that i was scammed. come to think of it, they still might be in a family members garage somewhere "audiogon anyone?"....i grew up on my dads bose system and i can clearly remember being stuck on listening sessions as young as 10. my first real purchase was about ten years later, with B&W 601. i guess i finally learned my lesson. oh, and i dont know if this counts, but i did have kicker speakers installed in my car when i was 16.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    A pair a Technics SB-LX90's (15" woofers, 4"mid, 2.x"tweeters) was the first set of speakers I actually purchased seperatel, from an overstocked warehouse sale. I was 13 years old and worked on convincing my dad for weeks so that he would actually drive me there, initially bought them to run from my panasonic scch80 mini system. These speakers are rated at 200 watts max, and the mini system just didn't push them (I think it actually only puts out 37 watts max), what was I thinking, Young and dumb. Since then I purchased a sansui 9090 receiver, and now I actually have more than enough power to drive them, I am very happy I actually purchased them.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    My start was with a 70's Fisher system- but the folks gave me the stereo and it was pretty lousy. I bought Hitachi speakers and Acoustech Labs speakers but neither were serious more impulse from a kid.

The first speaker I bought was in 1992 - the Wharfedale Vangaurds which I still own. The speaker was Wharfedales flagship and built as a rocker - indeed some DJ's re-inforced the cabinetry and when hired out used these speakers to fill some large rooms. With a horn tweeter they managed to sound less spitty and grating than the comparable Klipsh models of the time. With a high and mid driver contour control - the idea was to shift the sound for less friendly rooms. The controls are very subtle however to the point they're unnecessary. The bass and treble are more prominant than some but you get a full bodied sound. More of a rocker than finnesse but because the treble never sounds harsh it is way more liveable than a lot of slim line multi-driver array speakers. That is why I had so much trouble upgrading...why trade for a bit of fineesse if you lose bags of scale?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was the first pair of speakers you ever owned?-wharfe-2.jpg  

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Continued: But now it's Audio Note AN K in the main listening rig and the Wharfedale's to start a H/T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was the first pair of speakers you ever owned?-k-pic3.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular
    Dalquist M 905 were my first set of speakers.

Forum Regular
    1991, Allison Acoustics AL-100 for $150/pair. They were driven by a Kenwood 100wpc receiver. Not bad...I eventually did the whole Allison surround sound thing (added a pair of AL-105's and an Allison center channel, and a Yamaha sub) until I went back to 2-channel almost two years ago. Gave them away to a friend who still uses them.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I got my first set of speakers way back in 6th grade, but I didn't "buy" them, they were a "curbside" purchase. They were these hulking huge 2-ways from the 1960s, complete with a built-in turntable and a putrid blonde oak finish with cylindrical brass legs. One was longer than the other an housed the turntable and the amp, which I ended up disconnecting and instead used my Sherwood receiver that I got from one of my Dad's friends. I remember I had to watch the volume or I'd start vibrating the cheap, unsealed back panels. Finally, a few years later I cut enough lawns to buy a pair of Cerwin Vega RE-38s, which were still huge and weighed a ton, with their 15" woofers, but were nice and loud. Still have the Vegas in the basement.

Forum Regular
    Infinity Reference 2000.3's great little bookshelf speakers. $150 a piece I think...

Forum Regular

AR-2ax

Circa 1969: A pair of AR-2ax bookshelf speakers in oiled walnut powered by a Dynaco Stereo 120 amplifier hitched to a Dynaco PAT-4 preamplifier and a Dynaco Stereo FM-5 tuner. I built all of the Dynaco hardware from kits even though I didn't know squat about electrical wiring. Back then nobody worried too much about speaker placement; we just put 'em on a shelf on brackets on a wall about three or four feet up and about five or six feet apart and that was that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information