Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    it's about the music
    Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    ahhh...the fun never ends

in the furture

Its a shame that cash does...
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

My very first speakers were a pair of Infinity RS3 bookshelf speakers. Good sound, at least i thought that back than
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Audio Enthusiast
    I had PSB set for approx 2 years - don't like it for sound is too "laid back". The sound comes as if from
    behind TV or wall. Then I sold them half price on E-Bay. Now I have BW-602 and have been enjoying them for last 4 months ...

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    My first set of speakers were in a Koss boombox from 1992.

My first actual separates were in an RCA 5-cdp/tuner stereo from 1996.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Technics SBG-500's

Loved them, they were powered with a Technics V-8 amp and were quite loud but delivered great sound. Lasted 6 yrs until I sold them due to family additions.

Audio Enthusiast
    My very first set of speakers was a set of JBL 2103B Studio monitors.

I really had to save up to purchase that pair and they lasted about 10 years before I lost a tweeter. Soon afterwards, the woofer surrounds crumbled.

It was several years before I was enthused enough to purchase a replacement.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My first pair of speakers were the Smaller Advents. The ads at the time stated they had the same bass as the Large Advents but not as efficient. A friend gave me his JVC receiver to power them and I had my Kenwood marble based turntable with Shure M91ED cartridge.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

meteo man

first speakers

I am proud/ashamed to admit that I had a pair of Bose 301s as my first set of speakers.
    meteo man

Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Royals that i got at Zodys.
    Look & Listen

Utmostjamin1
    WOW ! almost 2 years later and this post is still going way cool .. unfortunatly i have a lot of different hobbies now such as restoring a classic mustang.. doing landscpe design for a living. i dont have near the time to dedicate to listening as i used to..
    I may downsize my system somewhat... I love SACD and DVD AUDIO but since they arent selling and i got burned on laserdiscs i dont think ill be buying into anymore new formats.. Im planning on doing away with a huge beefy adcom amp i have and just driving the speakers with a receiver again. the adcom amp is way overkill for effiecient Klipsch and brighter speakers coupled with a bright amp make for a fatiguing listening experience. any more im lucky to have more than a half hour to do music listening.. I watch movies occassionally but that goes in spurts

Mutant from table 9
    Man, it takes a while to get through this whole thread. I'll through mine on the pile. I assume we're not talking about crap like Soundesign or JCPenney rack systems, because those served me through highschool.

Just before I left for college I was recouperating from a bilateral hernia surgery, and my brother and girlfriend snuck out my ATM card and got me a pair of Boston Acoustic HD8's and a Yamaha 2 channel (60w x2) to assist in the healing. I still use that system as a reference in that it is still in use and I compare anything new to it. It is going on 13 years and it still rocks. When I got my new Music Hall turntable last year, I first played it this system and not my main system.

Forum Regular
    sony shelf system, but the first STEREO (non computer) speakers I bought just by themselves were definitive sm350's

Forum Regular
    My first serious speakers were a pair of Genesis II, These had an 8" woofer with a 10" passive radiator and a 1" tweeter. I loved them. They were driven by a Marantz 2225 receiver with a Technics turntable. Purchased in 1976, the receiver and speakers were stolen in 1982. I replaced them with EPI 100 T/Es. I loved the East Coast sound speakers with the emphasis on a sweet high end, great mid range and very accurate.

Aging Smartass
    As the previous post implies, the term "serious" speakers applies here. That would negate the University 12" woofer/midrange speakers and separate, "Mount-on-top-of-the-enclosure" University-made, Lafayette-branded tweeters; a pair of Lafayette 10" SK-180 "Tri-Helix" speakers (installed in the same Lafayette branded "Elliptoflex" enclosures, and infinitely better than the University combo); and a pair of Lafayette branded, "Criterion" 200-A 3-way bookshelf speakers. That was a fun progression, with definite sonic improvements at each increment, and at minimal cost to me, but my first "real" pair of speakers were KLH-6's, purchased in 1968. What a revelation they were then!

My first pair were a set of Pioneer project 100A's back in 1972.. They had soft dome mids that sounded so real to me. Only about $100 for the pair. Driven by an all in one, 25wpc, Panisonic receiver, turntable, 8-track recorder, that still works. The speakers were traded away for Genisis components to build my own set of towers. Those lasted until 2005. Er, actually, I still have the components. The partical board boxes disolved in the 6 inches of water that flooded our basement. I made new boxes.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Bought a used pair of Pioneer Project 80's that I ran with a TEAC reciever,tape deck and turntable for about 20 years. The speakers are still in use today as an add on to a very makeshift HT in a spare room. They are a lttle muddy sounding but not half bad considering the age/abuse factor. The TEAC equipment finally bit the dust about 8 years ago. I need a belt/stylus for the turntable and hold out hope I can come across them someday.

First pair of speakers

My first pair of speakers was the original Advent. Power by Dyna Stereo 120, Pat 4, FM3 or 5, Dual turntable with Stanton 681EE cartridge. Now have Thiel 7.2 with a lot in between.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    My first speakers were some crappy Aiwas as part of minisystem I had when I was in middleschool.

i've since had some gargantuan Technics loudspeakers, Polk speakers for the home theater and Axiom M3tis for my stereo.

I have big dreams for what to do next, but as a grad student no means to do anything about it yet.

My first pair were Paradigm 3SE's, second pair were 7SE's,third pair were Paradigm Export Monitors and finally to this day the PSB's and i'm due for another change soon.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

My first pair of speakers I bought that weren't part of a system were Paradigm 7se. I still have them and they have held up very well. I think I paid about $400 for the pair in 1991.

My 1st speakers were Wharfedale Denton's 2, bookshelf. They were very popular around students (1975).

Bill L
    1973. Bought BOSE 501 series II. Bought 4 of them, was searching for the "true quadraphonic" sound that was a hot topic at the time. Also bought 4 Microstat small tweeter arrays and put one of them on top of each BOSE.

BOSE's were made of wood back then and were pretty decent. Too bad that they've declined in recent years. Used them until recently, now in my garage. All of them have bass rattles and other sounds of deterioration. Externally they're in great condition.

Forum Regular

First pair-large Advents

My first speaker(s) was the large Advent, I don't know its name other than it was the classic two way, floorstanding speaker with a walnut cabinet and a tannish/grey cloth grill. It had a tweeter emphasis toggle-style switch near the wire posts, and it was bought at "Tech Hi-Fi", a chain store in Manhattan which I believe is out of business.

What is remarkable about these speakers, in hindsight, is how relatively neutral and 'true' the sound was. Of course in my stoner high school and college days, I always thought there were better speakers and could not appreciate them, perhaps, as much as I could have. I think I've read that Henry Koss was responsible for their design...if that's true, I'm curious to hear from other Advent owners, or what others' experiences were with this speaker.

Do the English make speakers tend to try to be more "neutral" sounding than American speakers? Or is this a phenomena with older speakers? Or my imagination?

hpl
    hi! i'm new here. my first hifi speaker pair was an AR-18, right after college, back in early '80s. i now own over 2 dozen speaker pairs evenly distributed among American, British and Japanese brands.

Pioneer, back in high school, cost i think 60 bucks for the pair, brand new! Blew out the crappy 8in woofer after about 15 minutes, wow i still remember that wonderful burnt speaker smell...

Then i "upgraded" to Sony tower speakers, the tweeters quit after a month of blasting rap and horizintal mambo scenes out my dorm window, so i lived with no treble for about year, *sigh*, those were the days.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information