Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Nht 2.5

First speakers were in some sort of Sony boombox. However, the first pair of real speakers were the NHT 2.5s. Those things were pretty nice. I really liked the angled shape and shiny black finish. Sound was good too.

My first pair are the ones i still have. its not really a pair its a four pack of jensen jp1300s. i have the matching sub and center channel hooked up to a pioneer reciever. good times

Suspended
    My first speakers were a pair of Fender(!) P.A. speakers with a four input amp head that we used for the vocals in my first rock and roll band. They were wrapped in black vinyl, stood about five feet high and when I wasn't using them to play music, I was listening to music through them. This was in 1965. I can still remember the muffled screams of my family as I ruptured my eardrums while bombarding the neighborhood with sounds from the latest British import. God, those were good days!

DPM
    My first set of speakers were actually a set of Koss Pro AAA headphones. I couldn't afford speakers until a year later. When funds allowed I ended up purchasing a set of Technics SBL 300's. They were ported three-ways with a 12 " woofer, 3" midrange and horn tweeter. They weren't cheap either. $500.00 in 1980 was a fair amount of green.

I owned the Technics until 1986. When I moved to New York to chase my rock and roll dream I left the SBL 300's back in PA. I eventually bought a pair of Energy ESM monitors.

My first pair were OPTIMUS 25s'. My first new speakers with my first pay cheque.
    Hadthese less than a year when I decided to buy the second generation liquid cooled
    MACH ONEs'. Second generation MACH ONEs' were the worst speaker choice I ever
    made, realistic crap, painfull to listen to, especially in the midrange. I gladly fried them
    with my HEATHKIT AA-1800. Bought a pair of CERWIN VEGA D-9s' after that. Best
    sounding speakers I ever had. Still use them today.

First Listen, Then Learn misterq4u's Avatar
    If is any kind of speakers, then it would be the detachable ones from my first Sony boombox, when CD's were released to consumers.

If for Hi-Fi, it was not a pair, it was 4 pairs all at once.
    I owned the first set of HTIB from JBL and it was Dolby ProLogic capable with 4 satellites and a passive sub hooked to their little amp/decoder it sounded amazing!!! and to compliment it, I had an Onkyo 8511 stereo receiver with 4 giant DJ speakers, 2 JBLs and 2 "ElectroBass" brand.

What a memory lane trip.
    Our ears speak to our brain...

...Me

In 1967 I bought a Fisher KX-90 kit amplifier a Benjamin Miracord TT/w Pickering cartridge and a pair of AR-2's. I saved my paycheck for 3 months to buy that stuff. I was in the military and didn't need much money to live on.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Criterion bookshelves in the 70's.Looking back now...those things sounded great.Although my parents may disagree!

Forum Regular

Yeah, me too...

Quote Originally Posted by jwh917
    Criterion bookshelves in the 70's.Looking back now...those things sounded great.Although my parents may disagree!
    ...forgot the model number, but bought them from Layfayette at the Smith Havem Mall (Lake Grove, NY) back in '79 or so.

Funny thing is my friend STILL has the model one up from mine (he one-upped me on a lot of audio :*) in MINT condition. I recently went to his father's house (where they reside) and I couldn't believe the condition... like new.

Not so sure about the sound quality... the Pioneers of that era were better for the same money (re: cheap)

Fun stuff indeed...

Smile my first real speaker set

is the one i still use, they are my dad's 1978-80 advent floorstanders, i have them for 4 years now, they've practically never really broke (exept the rotted foam) since then they have 12" woofers in them, they sound pretty good for their price and age, actually, they sound too good to 'upgrade' to a new pair of speakers matching my budget.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    my first pair of speakers were cerwin vega vs120 ....i still miss them, there hard to find these days
    Yamaha RX-V2600
    Adcom GFA555 x 2(both in mono)
    Yamaha CD685 cd changer
    Yamaha Dvd c950 dvd changer
    Polk RTi12 mains
    Polk CSi3 center
    Polk psw303
    Polk RTi6 (surround and surround back)
    Acoustic Research 12in 200 watt sub(8 years old and still hits hard)
    WindyWillys cooling fan (works great)
    Mitsubishi 52in big screen

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    29.95 each. 8" 2 way (with a 3" tweeter) in a ported cabinet.

Part of my first "real" stereo which also included a Lafayette 224A tube amp (a rip roaran' 6 wpc) and a Garrard AT-60 (with the 1cent Pickering cartridge).

All for the princely sum of $160 or thereabouts in 63 - 64 or so, from snow shoveling and lawn mowing money from the previous few years.
    Mine as well, purchased in '67 or '68 at the store in Lynbrook, NY. I still have the speakers and am wondering what to do with them, the rest of the system got stolen many years ago and enabled me to buy much better components.

From my bedroom in the '60's:

Last edited by JRS11; 04-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Forum Regular
    My first pair was a brand few of you have ever heard of - Frazier Mk4's which were made in Dallas Texas and had a neat horn driver. Jack Frazier also made the "Dixielanders" which were giant horns often found in movie theaters back in the day.

My Fraziers only needed a couple of watts but back then I thought more was better so I mis-matched them with a powerful Sherwood amp.

Forum Regular
    My first speakers were the AR 3a. Drove them with a Dynaco Mark III amp (modified by Van Alstine). I gave the speakers away when I bought my Fulton Js. Wish I had kept the Mark IIIs!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    My first pair was a brand few of you have ever heard of - Frazier Mk4's which were made in Dallas Texas and had a neat horn driver. Jack Frazier also made the "Dixielanders" which were giant horns often found in movie theaters back in the day.

My Fraziers only needed a couple of watts but back then I thought more was better so I mis-matched them with a powerful Sherwood amp.

When I lived in Dallas I had the chance to hear a pair of Fraziers. I remember liking the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    The first pair I actually bought was with my first system with my first income tax check in 1978. The speakers were Infinity RSb's.

Before that I had Heathkit Speakers, Receiver and an old dual turntable.

Dynaco tubes

Quote Originally Posted by tube fan
    My first speakers were the AR 3a. Drove them with a Dynaco Mark III amp (modified by Van Alstine). I gave the speakers away when I bought my Fulton Js. Wish I had kept the Mark IIIs!
    Hey, Tube Fan. My first system was driven by Dynaco solid state components, viz. PAT-4 and Stereo 80 which drove Dynaco A25's. But I often wonder how different my attitudes would been, even up to today, if I'd happened to choose a PAS-3 and Stereo 70 instead.

One of those interesting might-have-beens!

Besides a couple homemade my first purchase was Paradigm 3se's with money I earned from a summer job while in high school
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Hey, Tube Fan. My first system was driven by Dynaco solid state components, viz. PAT-4 and Stereo 80 which drove Dynaco A25's. But I often wonder how different my attitudes would been, even up to today, if I'd happened to choose a PAS-3 and Stereo 70 instead.

One of those interesting might-have-beens!
    I compared the Mark III to several ss amps. It was no contest IMO. Yes, I ended up with the Dynaco tube preamp. My brother bought the A25 and drove them with the PAS-3 and Stereo 70. My system was better IMO, but not by all that much.

I was born ...

a poor RadioShack child.

My first set of speakers are the Optimus-2B. I bought them with the STA-80 receiver and Miracord 40C turntable. I liked the Optimus-2B then, and I like them now. But I like my Klipsch RF-7 and CL Optimus-1 better.

The Optimus-2B have never been serviced and they still sound good. The original cloth surround are still in great shape.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

my share was an Onkyo HTIB 5.1 i bought it 4yrs ago, and then bought a pair of 301 and later a pair of b&w 685

my first speaker was an Onkyo HTIB 5.1 i bought it 4yrs ago, and then bought a pair of 301 and later a pair of b&w 685

Forum Regular
    The Dynaco ST-70 sold more than any tube amp in history. There are still tons of them out there along with the PAS-2/3 and A25's. Entire forums of Dynaco devotees are on the net.

Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar
    My First pair of speakers was a pair of 1978 Kenwood LS-408B's, saved them from our family business after my dad wouldn't let my mom use them in the house after it was renovated, so they were brought to the business storeroom. My dad offered them to the janitor, of which he took one, and never came back to get the other one that I took home. Luckily, I managed to track him down and get it back. They were special because my brother bought them new in 1978, when he bought his first stereo, a SX-1250 Pioneer. I recently moved to Texas, and gave them back to my brother. They still sound beautiful after all these years. I manged to find another pair of them for myself, so that's why I gave my brother his back. He wanted 'em back pretty badly too, lol!
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

I'll skip things like my Sony boombox (20 years old and it still works) and Sony Walkman earphones.

The first real speaker I purchased was about six years ago, the Energy Connoisseur C-1. I loved the magnetic grille covers. A nice speaker for the price and it kept me pretty happy for three years or so, and then the upgrade bug hit.

Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information