Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian

When considering a new cartridge; which path do you guys recommend? The Ortofon OMB-10 sounds good because of the upgradable stylus. Any other suggestions?
    There's a short list of popular budget carts. Noob had the Nag and the Shure, and I had a Ortofon. You can also add the Ortofon 2M Red. I am actually re-recommending this to you. The 2M series is also upgradable, with the Red being the entry level. The better your table or arm gets, you can upgrade the stylus. I have a 2M Red and they're great value. Since you saved a little with the speakers, splurge a bit more on the cart. They're 99.99 at Needle Doc....wife is yelling, bye....

Jajajaja. Thank you! I'll look at the 2M Red.

Hi,

Your setup looks pretty good so , definitely get those speakers of the ground though! so if you have time somewhere in the future, you could build some stands , I found Plywood to work better than MDF (MDF tends to make the bass sound a tad muddy...

Since your setup is on a carpet, you could look into getting spikes under the stands, so the stands & speakers are coupled solid to the floor. This is better for the sound, and the stands are less likely to fall over...

About the turntable: many here recommended to get a different turntable, I support them, but take your time, there are lots and lots and lots of turntables out there, and maybe you could get a super deal later on...

you said the needle skips and all if you come close to the tt: this is due to vibrations. Your floor & carpet transmit your footsteps, the needle picks these up, and this results in skipping (it doesn't take much to skip a needle.) The absolute best solution is to wallmount the turntable. You can buy or build a shelf that you mount to the wall, and place the turntable on that, this eliminates all vibrations and stops needle skipping.

the other solution is to build or buy a super heavy and well isolated rack (this is also the expensive solution...), I built myself a heavy rack, but then again, my turntable weighs over 50 kilo's, and would most likely kill every wall mount rack...

about the cartridge:
    The Ortofon 2M red or better is also the best option for you IMO...

good luck with your test!

Have fun

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    The absolute best solution is to wallmount the turntable. You can buy or build a shelf that you mount to the wall, and place the turntable on that, this eliminates all vibrations and stops needle skipping.
    I'll look into making/buying some sort of wall mount. This is probably the best solution.

Are these wires okay; is it necessary to get a more expensive set? I really don't know what I should look for in speaker wires: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102499

Thanks for all the tips. You guys really rock!

This might be an unpopular opinion in an audiophile forum but I'll go out on a limb and say the Radio Shack speaker wire is good enough. I'd probably be inclined to choose a larger gauge, but not by much. Those old Marantz connections don't hold large wire very well.

With regard to cartridges, keep in mind...the stylus can be upgraded on many cartridges, including those from Nagaoka, Audio-Technica and Shure. This isn't unique to Ortofon. It's just more clearly marketed by Ortofon since they were clear in saying the OM cartridge body was the same throughout the series.

I'll look into making/buying some sort of wall mount. This is probably the best solution.

Are these wires okay; is it necessary to get a more expensive set? I really don't know what I should look for in speaker wires: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102499

Thanks for all the tips. You guys really rock!

as audionoob suggested, a simple cable will work for now, (the ones you can find at radioshack), the one you suggested, however, I would not take, go for 14 or 16 gauge, probably 16 gauge, as any bigger might be to thick for the marantz to hold firmly. you could install banana plugs on the speakers end for easier connection, and avoiding oxidation.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2104178# this, for instance, should work pretty good, I use flex plugs at the receiver end here (a vintage Luxman R-800), this allows me to use thicker cable (I only had 10 gauge cable lying around...)

Have fun

Keep them spinning!
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

I recommend 12 AWG cable with pin termination for your amp.

Things look pretty good. I hope you understand the urgency and importance of stands for those speakers. This must be done ASAP and before anything else.

Secondly, the TT is too close to the speaker. The vibration from playback is going to rock your TT's plinth, and make for some crumby music. Stands will help if this is the only place it can go. Consider a wall shelf. This will help with vibrations created by your speakers and by walking. You'll need to tap into the studding in the wall, I would suggest a stud finder if you're unsure how to locate them. From there, 2 simple "L" brackets and a piece of MDF can be used for the shelf. Cheap and easy while solving your issue. The other advantage, since I'm assuming you're not a dwarf, is the shelf can be high enough to stand while operating the TT, as opposed to hunched over or kneeling.

EDIT: I see bert already suggested this to you. Great idea Bert, I agree!

I would suggest replacing both the PS3 and cable box's power cords with something respectable. Since your analog gear will be sharing the same power line as your digital, this will help keep down the noise from the digital. Another cheap fix.

I use a basic Acoustic Research cable for both my cable box and PS2 in my H/T set up. Check your private messages regarding this.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea.../dp/B000I3F928

the 300 ohm and 75 ohm are for a regular "two cable antenna", they are basically 2 cables, one connected to each, you should be able to find these in radioshack or similar. I even have used 2 simple cables with succes, just make sure they're not shielded too much. If you go to look for such an antenna, they sometimes are wound on a square plastic thing. Anyway, if you go looking for one, ask for a "dipole radio antenna". They can be really big (as in like the antenna's you often find on roofs), but there are smaller ones too.
    I bought this guy today: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062691 ... it has crimp-on spade tongues/lugs on the two ends which I assume connect to the 300 and 75 ohm spaces. Should I remove the wire from these ends, since I could get one end to fit into the space, and just use the wire?

I bought this guy today: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062691 ... it has crimp-on spade tongues/lugs on the two ends which I assume connect to the 300 and 75 ohm spaces. Should I remove the wire from these ends, since I could get one end to fit into the space, and just use the wire?

For making a good contact, bare wire is almost always the best bet.

yes, you can remove them, strip the wires again if you need to, you can play around a little with the antenna position, for some reason they offer better reception in some positions than at others...

The ends indeed go into the 300 ohm space, and the 75 ohm space

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Hi Barbarian,
    Sorry to jump into the thread so late. Welcome to AR. I live on the other side of Philly from you, in Delaware. I see the guys have been giving you some great advice on upgrading your present system. Like Poppa said, it makes you feel good when you make recommendations and they are followed up on.

When you talked about getting an antenna for FM stations, I assume you meant WRTI for jazz. I need an amplified antenna to pick them up where I live. You're in a good area for testing gear at the local HiFI shops. Not far from you in Quest For Sound in Bristol. They have an excellent selection of speakers and a good selection of vinyl. Enjoy your new gear and don't be a stranger.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    When you talked about getting an antenna for FM stations, I assume you meant WRTI for jazz. I need an amplified antenna to pick them up where I live. You're in a good area for testing gear at the local HiFI shops. Not far from you in Quest For Sound in Bristol. They have an excellent selection of speakers and a good selection of vinyl. Enjoy your new gear and don't be a stranger.
    Yup WRTI and WHYY I'll have to check out Bristol some time this summer. Repo Records and aka are great in Phila. Can't wait for Record Store Day on the 17th!

I have a hard time tolerating the looks of those T-shaped dipole FM antennas. I'll admit they work well, especially if you run them high on a wall or window, but if you're sensitive to looks, maybe you could get something like this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Antenna.html

I was asked to post more photos of the TT and cartridge to help with the tweaks. Also, I am wondering if the Ortofon 2M Red would fit right into my tonearm or do I need a different tonearm; Is it standard?

Thank you again!

That headshell you removed is where you attach a new cartridge. All of the cartridges mentioned in this thread are the standard, as is that headshell. You'll have to remove the two screws and four wires to change out the cartridge. When you re-install, it will take a fair bit of care and precision. You want it like this...

By the way...Why is your tracking force dial set at almost zero?
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 04-05-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Lol...I knew there would be some issues. Don't worry barbarian, order the 2M and we;ll get you fixed up. I have a feeling you'll be floored by the final outcome. Especially when I see that you're tracking with almost no force...

"Round 'n round she goes, where she stops, no one knows..."

Sorry man, gotta have a bit of fun at your expense.

as mentioned above:
    Remove the 2 screws at the top/bottom of the headshell
    the new cart should come with screws too, most likely, install those on the headshell again with the cart. it'll work out fine

after that, come back, here, we'll help you out with setting up the turntable so it performs at it's best

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Hello mates. Finally finished my neuroscience module 1 exam today. Coincidently I received the 2M Red beauty this afternoon. I am excited to continue my march toward vinyl bliss. I found an instructional video on how to replace a stylus/cart, etc (http://www.howcast.com/videos/167990...rntable-Needle). Should I ignore the video? Any other suggestions? The paper cartridge alignment protractor part looks complicated.

Any suggestion on buying/making speaker grill covers. Unfortunately the seller did not have them with him. I don't want to risk damaging the cones.

Last edited by barbarian; 04-13-2010 at 05:18 AM.

With a Technics S-shaped arm, you just need to align the cartridge straight ahead in the headshell and at this distance...

This is the dimension of the Technics tool in the video. Using the paper protractor is good, but maybe not any better than the Technics method. I noticed the Baerwald protractor in the video. Aligning to that protractor will look a little odd if you get it right. It will be pushed forward and angled in, as compared to the Technics method.

hey dude, I'm at work. Listen to noob he will help you. Just be careful of the stylus, keep the guard on until you're ready to balance the arm, and then playback. As for grills, only dudes with wives, young kids or Bose speakers are eligible to use grills. You qualify?

Another approach is to go by the specified overhang. For the SL-20, the overhang is specified as 14 mm. Which means with the cartridge straight ahead, the dimension in this picture would be 14 mm when you swing the cartridge in to the spindle:

Hi,

Congrats with the cart, I hope your test went well to btw

now, for the cartridge replacement: I can't see the video, since it's an invalid url, but replacing the cart is NOT hard.

remove headshell, remove wires from cart (use a small plier to do this, makes your life easier - believe me). Unscrew two screws at the top of the headshell, remove cart (it'll fall off...)

take new cart, screw it to the headshell again, using the 2 screws provided , reconnect wires to cart. Most likely the pins at the back of the cart should be color coded, which makes it easier to know which wire goes where. If not, it should also be in the manual that comes with the cart (if there is one), or with another marking. Just in case, red=right ch hot, white = left ch hot; green = richt ch earth/-, blue = left ch earth/-, the markings at the back could also be like that.

Audionoob posted a pic on how to align the cart, the first pic (showing a side view of the headshell), is correct. DO NOT use the second pic, as this method is very hard to measure (making it inaccurate), and you might kill your stylus doing so.
    slightly loosen the two screws and slide the cart forward/backward to align it like in the drawing/picture. then reinstall the headshell again in the arm.

this is just temporarily, I'll explain on how to use a protractor properly later on. It's really not hard at all.

then on to the tracking force. remove the stylus guard first.
    then turn the anti skating device to zero (it's the small wheel right of your tonearm).
    do not place the cart on the record yet. hold the arm between the arm rest and the platter, and turn the counterweight. Balance the arm, so it doesn't point upward nor downward, it should be horizontal. then turn the black wheel on the counterweight to zero.
    now your cart has no tracking force. It should have 1,8 grammes, according to the specs, so turn the weight forward, until the 1,8grammes position on the black wheel.
    the tracking force is now correct.

set the anti skating device (the small wheel right of your tonearm) to 1,8 grammes to.

like this, the cart should perform good already, i'll explain you on how to use a protractor properly later on, it's really not hard, and can make a big difference when the cart isn't aligned properly.

You can experiment yourself too, I use this protractor myself, I think it's the best protractor available for free.Clikc here for the protractor
    print it on a 100% scale.

in the meanwhile: here's some interesting lecture on what a protractor is, how it works, and why it's good to use them.

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

here are some other (good) protractors for more specific turntables and stuff:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...tractors.shtml

(remember the site 'vinylengine', might come in handy sooner or later )

your turntable is now ready to use, remove stylus guard, get an lp, and start playing

if there are any questions feel free to ask

Keep them spinning!
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Looks good! Nice info guys. How you makin out barbarian? I would suggest to do all of the reading put forth by basite. I know you're busy studying, but this research has great rewards also. The more you read, the more you'll understand what it's all about (obviously).

I own a 2M Red and although it's not on a headshell right now, if need be I'll get it out. We can exchange photos step by step if you run into any problems. Try to enjoy it even though it's a PITA.

Please check the link and favorite it. It's part of the vinyl asylum over at Audio Asylum. An excellent forum BTW. Some of the articles in this link have been wrote by extremely respected audiophiles, and include set up. http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.pl?...faq.html#vinyl

Again, mind the stylus!!!!!!

Audionoob posted a pic on how to align the cart, the first pic (showing a side view of the headshell), is correct. DO NOT use the second pic, as this method is very hard to measure (making it inaccurate), and you might kill your stylus doing so.
    slightly loosen the two screws and slide the cart forward/backward to align it like in the drawing/picture. then reinstall the headshell again in the arm.
    Silly comment. Measuring overhang is actually the recommended method for many of the old CEC turntables, which were sold under their own name and also re-badged by Marantz, among others. They provided a mark on the 45 adapter at the desired distance.

I see what's wrong with the video url. The link is picking up the 2nd parenthesis. Delete that and it should work. In Internet Explorer, it worked for me even without me having to delete the parenthesis. IE deleted it on its own.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 04-13-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information