Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Silly comment. Measuring overhang is actually the recommended method for many of the old CEC turntables, which were sold under their own name and also re-badged by Marantz, among others. They provided a mark on the 45 adapter at the desired distance.

I see what's wrong with the video url. The link is picking up the 2nd parenthesis. Delete that and it should work. In Internet Explorer, it worked for me even without me having to delete the parenthesis. IE deleted it on its own.

indeed, but the technics doesn't really have this mark on the 45 rpm adapter, so you'll have to measure it yourself...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

KABusa.com sells the actual Technics overhang tool, in case anyone needs it.

KABusa.com sells the actual Technics overhang tool, in case anyone needs it.
    Didn't even know this existed!

I stand corrected

does it work for all technics models? or just for the SL12xx series?

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Most Technics S-shaped arms have the same or nearly the same geometry, so the overhang tool is not limited to the SL-1200 and variants. Compare the SL-1200MK2 and the SL-1800MK2, for example, and you'll see the same arm.

With a Technics S-shaped arm, you just need to align the cartridge straight ahead in the headshell and at this distance...

This is the dimension of the Technics tool in the video. Using the paper protractor is good, but maybe not any better than the Technics method. I noticed the Baerwald protractor in the video. Aligning to that protractor will look a little odd if you get it right. It will be pushed forward and angled in, as compared to the Technics method.
    Another approach is to go by the specified overhang. For the SL-20, the overhang is specified as 14 mm. Which means with the cartridge straight ahead, the dimension in this picture would be 14 mm when you swing the cartridge in to the spindle:

I'm planning on setting up the cart tonight. Which approach should I take? Any need to clean any part of the arm or connections? With the measurements, are you guys just using a regular ruler?

Thanks for the help fellas.

E

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Go with the first style, very easy. Yes, use a ruler or any ruled instrument you have. Are you feeling confident at all?

I use a DB systems stylus protractor. You can download (not DB) one for free from www.vinylengine.com or www.enjoythemusic.com . Both sites have several different ones. Different protractors have different null points and will give slightly different results. Vinylengine suggests different protractors for different arm table combinations. As PC said using the measurement with the headshell is easier and more accurate than the other. I prefer a good protractor. IMO you get better results with a protractor.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

If you're going to use a protractor, the Stevenson protractor should be closest to Technics.

Hello all. I took the Technics 52mm approach. I then tared the arm with the counterweight and then set the force to 1.8g and set the anti skating to 1.8 as well. Here are some pictures. So far, so good. Now it sounds very clear, lots of bass. Enjoy RECORD STORE DAY - Apr. 17.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited by barbarian; 04-17-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Looks great!! Give the stylus about 20 hours or more to begin to break in. There will be a sudden curve, and you will notice an improvement in bass response and high end. More importantly, there will be a more open quality to it. With the right recording you will experience proper soundstage, including depth and realistic imaging.

This is when you start to hear the magic of analog. Buckle up cuz it's a lifetime trip...

Did some celebrating of my own today. Happy Record Store Day to you too!!

Thanks. Great job on the Joe Hendeson. I also picked up Mode for Joe with Lee Morgan and Cedar Walton, as well as Max Roach - percussion, bitter, sweet.

Loudness

Hello. It's been a while since I post in the forums. I have been enjoying my 2M Red Ortofon for almost 2 years now on my Technics SL-20. I recently changed a squeaky belt on my TT but I have 3 questions:

1) After changing the belt I noticed that the 45RPM records were playing a bit slow. How do I accurately adjust the speed on my TT? I see the adjustment dials, but is there an accurate way to do this?

2) I notice that some of my records are not as loud as others; recently I have come to realize that when I am lifiting my tone arm with the lever, if I do it slowly enough: right before the stylus completely comes off the record the volume dramatically increases. Does this mean that my tone arm is coming down to heavily on my records? How should I adjust this? My counter weight is set at 1.8 and anti skating is set at 1.8 as well.

3) When I am increasing the volume on my Marantz 2230b, once i go past the mid-level, the volume incredible increases to a point where it seems too loud and a bit distorted. Any suggestions? Or is this normal?

Any member reading this local in Philadelphia? Maybe you can help me out sometime this Summer. Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information