Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    You know, on second thought. You SHOULD grab the Mordaunts, or a similar deal. If the ADS are a highly regarded model for a real steal, maybe.

The Mordaunts will give you a nice gateway into 5.1 where you can integrate them. Besides, they look sleek and modern and sound the same.

the channel fuzzyness when changing the volume is common, as poppachubby already explained, this is simply some dirt in the potentiometers, some contact cleaner will easily solve this (you can find this almost everywhere, do know, wd40 and the likes, are not contact cleaner, an also as PC has already mentioned, the most common to use in audio appliances is Deoxit. )

We would be happy to help you if there are any questions about the Marantz

for the speakers, the Mordount shorts are good speakers for their money, you might also want to look at the Monitor audio bronze series (the BR2, in specific).

as for cartridges: the Ortofon OMB-10 is a good cartridge, and the stylus is upgradeable, since the entire series use the same cartridge body...
    Also really good are the new Ortofon 2M series...

I'm a big fan of Denon cartridges too, a DL-110 is slightly over $100, slightly warmer sounding than the ortofon's, and very musical

Good luck, and keep them spinning!
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

When asked about the ADS speakers:

" I may sell a pair of them, I have a pair of L1's very rare and a pair of l8e's both bookshelf style. Both black."

Any advice in a combined offer for the speakers and 2230b?

The guys at www.audiokarma.org can be quite helpful with costing vintage gear.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Barbarian, give me the evening to get back to you regarding these speakers and a quote. I do know that ADS made some fine bookshelf speakers.

I am unable to find any info regarding those models. There's an ADS thread at AK, but no discussion.

You're on your own with those. If you feel you're really unknowledgable, just pass on the speakers. One thing's for sure, they'll be old. You've got the cash money for some new ones...

Thanks poppachubby. I think I'll go for the Mordaunts you suggested. So, I could use these later on to form a descent 5.1 setup?

Seems like you could pick up the L8e's for maybe $75 and get far more bang for your buck than with the Mordaunt...just an opinion. Probably not a bad deal at even $100 or more if the sound seems good.

Regarding cartridges with upgradeable styli...There's not much value to be found there. In the case of the OMB-10, the logical upgrade would be the 20 stylus, which sells for $129 at LPgear and $139 at Needle Doctor. But this seller has the complete cartridge for $85 EUR...around $115.

http://www.williamthakker.eu/Ortofon...5_p4931_x2.htm
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 03-30-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Seems like you could pick up the L8e's for maybe $75 and get far more bang for your buck than with the Mordaunt...just an opinion. Probably not a bad deal at even $100 or more if the sound seems good.

True, the L8e's were great speakers, $75 or $100 would be a great price for them, and will probably beat the mordount shorts...

when you pick up the marantz, audition them too, maybe you like them

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Perhaps you guys can give him further advice around what to look for with the ADS. They had fuses in them, no?

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian
    Thanks poppachubby. I think I'll go for the Mordaunts you suggested. So, I could use these later on to form a descent 5.1 setup?
    With any decent pair of speakers, you could use them as fronts/mains in a 5.1 system.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Perhaps you guys can give him further advice around what to look for with the ADS. They had fuses in them, no?
    The L8e didn't have fuses, IIRC...

they had those "sticky" tweeters though, make sure these are alright..;
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

what do you guys think of this? http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1672639487.html Luxman R115, maybe some descent speakers?

What happened to the Marantz?!? I see in that link a Thorens TD 115, would probably be "cheap" and a drastic improvemnet over the Technics. Not their greatest table, but again an improvement over your current deck.

I am unfamilair with the Luxman so I can't guide you on price. If you're really keen on it, make a specific post in the vintage or amp room.

What's your plan at this point?

I am meeting with the person selling the 2230b tonight, and picking it up. Maybe I can snag one of his speakers too. I'll post photos later tonight. Thanks for the thus far.

what do you guys think of this? http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1672639487.html Luxman R115, maybe some descent speakers?
    Although it's always a matter of preference, I believe the Luxman R115 would sound superior to the Marantz 2230b.

Although it's always a matter of preference, I believe the Luxman R115 would sound superior to the Marantz 2230b.
    How so? I have no real experience or knowledge about Luxman gear, not even their TT's for which I know are reputed.

How so? I have no real experience or knowledge about Luxman gear, not even their TT's for which I know are reputed.
    I think you'd get more power and cleaner power out of the Luxman than the Marantz.

JoeE are you selling any equipment? The Marantz 2230b is in Mt. Penn, about 70 miles from me. I'll try to make it out there by Tuesday.
    At the moment no. I've never owned a receiver. Sometime in the next couple of months I will be selling a Micro Seiki DQ-43 TT.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    At the moment no. I've never owned a receiver. Sometime in the next couple of months I will be selling a Micro Seiki DQ-43 TT.
    Can you PM me some details?

Just came back from Mt. Penn with the 2230b and some L8e speakers. Total: $160. What to do now? Tweaks for the TT? What cables should I purchase to hook up these babies? I also need to clean the volume control, to eliminate the buzz while turning the knob. We tested the speakers at his house and they sounded great. The only problem I see, is that when I push the knob for SPKR System 1, it doesn't go in or out, so I am assuming is stuck in; is there a way to fix this? I think the SPKR System 2 knob has the same issue. The apartment complex where I live has 2 speakers built into the wall, should I connect these on speaker 2? Could I add a sub to the 2230b?

I am very interested in setting up the FM/AM radio. What is the difference between FM 300, FM 75, G? Which antennas do I need to buy and where do I get these?

Thanks for the help thus far, it is much appreciated!

These are stands that the seller had the speakers on. I'll try and make something like this. Any suggestions?

Last edited by barbarian; 04-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Wow. Great pics!! Those ADS look fantastic, and what a bargain! I was a bit concerned he would want too much for them. You got a great deal. Indeed you're on your way. This may sound flaky, but I love it when someone actually follows through with advice from the board. I love seeing people get what they have set out to find.

Anyhow, I don't know about the FM settings on those. Joe will for sure, 02AN may also know.

Today (Saturday) I am busy. I have a little score of my own to pick up. You are going to need to remove the cover from the amp, then remove the faceplate. To do that, the knobs can all be removed to allow the plate to slide off. Keep track of everything as you take it off. If it was me, I would clean every last part that you're able to. Once the faceplate is off, you'll have full access to the knobs and switches' contact points. Of course, you'll need some electrical contact cleaner. Audiophiles like to use a brand called Deoxit, but truthfully any proper brand will do. These solvents generally have a "self-drying" agent in them so that overspray will literally dry out on its own. You will want to spray each contact point really well. Once sprayed, move it through it's full range of motion approx. 30 - 40 times. Don't be shy to spray it again at the midway point of 20 . Do every single contact point that you can access, and you should be able to access them all. As for the speaker buttons, once you have the cover and faceplate off, see if they come back to life with a bit of help.

You can hook up the in-wall speakers, but don't run all 4 at once. Run one pair or the other. This is the way most people use an A/B speaker system.

You know, with so much money saved, you could probably consider a better TT. If not, then I suggest using some cash to buy yourself a pair of stands.

If you are definitely sticking it out with the Technics, you should look at a better cartridge. I think with the cash you have, we can get you something real nice. From there, we'll make sure the table is set up correctly. In the meantime, post a more complete photo of the table. Your first step will be reinforcing the plinth to help cope with vibrations.

We should also look at your room and the location of the gear. Let's try and set everything up optimally. Do you have a rack or cabinet for the gear?

Again, congrats!! I'll try to check in today and see how you're making out. Take your time cleaning it. BTW, use the contact cleaner on the RCA plugs at the back of the amp too.

Hi, about the antennas:

the 300 ohm and 75 ohm are for a regular "two cable antenna", they are basically 2 cables, one connected to each, you should be able to find these in radioshack or similar. I even have used 2 simple cables with succes, just make sure they're not shielded too much. If you go to look for such an antenna, they sometimes are wound on a square plastic thing. Anyway, if you go looking for one, ask for a "dipole radio antenna". They can be really big (as in like the antenna's you often find on roofs), but there are smaller ones too.

75 ohm & ground is for a 75 ohm antenna, the cable (coax, like for the TV) uses one like this. generally these are smaller, but these days they all have coax ends (plugs), so you'll have to convert them, not hard, cut of the ends, use the center cable for the 75 ohm connector on the amp, the cables shield is used as the gnd (ground). If I were closer I would have sent you a decent antenna, but, unfortunately, I'm at the other side of the world

About the cleaning and all, Poppachubby's advice is excellent, don't worry to remove the face plate, you should be able to just pull of the knobs, it's not really that hard to take it apart and clean it, just be sure to remember which screw went where, and don't lose them

If you need any help, feel free to ask, we'll all be happy to help you!

And btw, Congrats, you made an excellent deal on both the amp and the speakers!
    Enjoy them.

For the stands, simple wooden stands are good, be sure they are sturdy enough, so make them pretty solid , if you want to go further, you can build stands with some kind of tubes (some use PVC tubes (big ones), I don't really like that, not the nicest solution), and fill them with sand or lead shot, helps the stability and coupling, again, if you need any advice, we would be happy to help

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Unhappy

Thanks PC! Great help. I definitely want to clean it completely and want to fix the two pushswitches. I connected the in-wall speakers to both SPKR systems, and they both work great. Unfortunately I have a test in a week and will not have time to work on the 2230b until after this test

In the meantime I want to buy some speaker wire to start using (enjoying) the L8es. What do you recommend as far as speaker wire.

I have provided the photographs of my setup. Please take a look at it and make recommendations. I definitely need some speaker stands. Should I buy a more sturdy table for the TT; I am using a cheap IKEA lack side table. Unfortunately right now I live in an apartment with carpet, and if I walk near the TT, it begins to bounce/skip.

Thanks all!

Thanks basite. I'll try and grab one of these antennas today. I want to listen to some npr and the local jazz station.

My first path of upgrade from there would probably be a cartridge like the Shure M97XE, Audio-Technica AT95E or Nagaoka MP-11 and perhaps the AT phono preamp...although I would probably be more inclined to hold out for a Cambridge Audio 640P or Musical Fidelity V-LPS. That's not to mention the turntable...which holds a vast array of options on the used market...too many to mention.
    I like noob's short list of carts. I would add the Ortofon OMB-10 which is very affordable quality. It also has an upgradable stylus (needle) so the fidelity can be further improved.
    When considering a new cartridge; which path do you guys recommend? The Ortofon OMB-10 sounds good because of the upgradable stylus. Any other suggestions?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information