Dare I ask it....

What's spinning

I had a distinct live evening last night

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel-Face to Face

Neil Young-Rust Never Sleeps

The Allman Brothers Band-At Filmore East

The Waterboys-Karma to Burn

And to cool down: Christy Moore-At the Point

All great Live recordings in their own right.

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Dare I say...

1) Mussorgsky/ Pictures at an Exhibition-Fritz Reiner,CSO,Living Stereo

2)Boney James/Pure

3)Brahms/Cello Sonatas-Yo-Yo Ma & Emanuel Ax

4)Rimsky-Korsakov/ Scheherazade-Robert Spano,Telarc

5)Dvorak/ Czech Suite #5,7,8

The last I found a couple of months ago while browsing in a used book store. It was thrown up a shelf, obviously as an afterthought as there were no other cds in the place. After ringing up the rest of my purchases the clerk sort of shrugged his head and randomly assigned it the hefty price of $1.00. Best single dollar investment I've ever made as it has given me many hours of enjoyment.

"The Allman Brothers Band-At Filmore East"

Great album but it was better live.

Hey-two responses I was beginning to think that nobody is listening to music just getting exited about hardware.
    I bet it was better live. It's a great live album. In my opinion just beaten to the Post by Mike Scott's latest offering-Karma to Burn. The most complete live album I know. Matter of fact it's spinning right now.

Peace

Bernd

I hate to admit it, but I'm completely ignorant of " Karma to Burn"; love the Almond Bros though. Probably the only live r&r to make it to my heavy rotation list are the live cuts off the Dire Straits Best Of. I'm enjoying Clapton's Croosroads DVD too. New to me but evidently old hat to everyone else.

Forum Regular

Even with the new recording formats/medias...

...recorded just can not compete with live. I remember driving along in my car some years ago, I think it was in Leavenworth Kansas, listening to something-or-other. I don't remember if it was radio or casette. I was enjoying it until I drove by a band which was playing outdoors. Then I realized just how pathetic my car stereo was, how far short recorded music fell.

On the other hand, I have found amazing recorded music. Most recently, it was the CD "Footwork" by Knut Reiersrud. It was recorded in Norway, and I had only heard of it mentioned in the liner notes of another CD, also excellent. The sound quality was simply astonishing. It was used, and half-price in a used CD/LP store which is closing down. Wot a deal, but I'm going to miss the place...

Laz

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    1) Mussorgsky/ Pictures at an Exhibition-Fritz Reiner,CSO,Living Stereo

2)Boney James/Pure

3)Brahms/Cello Sonatas-Yo-Yo Ma & Emanuel Ax

4)Rimsky-Korsakov/ Scheherazade-Robert Spano,Telarc

5)Dvorak/ Czech Suite #5,7,8

The last I found a couple of months ago while browsing in a used book store. It was thrown up a shelf, obviously as an afterthought as there were no other cds in the place. After ringing up the rest of my purchases the clerk sort of shrugged his head and randomly assigned it the hefty price of $1.00. Best single dollar investment I've ever made as it has given me many hours of enjoyment.
    Good taste, I love the Brahms "Cello Sonatas with Ma and Ax. My favorite version of "Pictures at an Exhibition" is with Riccardo Muti conducting the Philidelphia Orchestra and my favorite recording of "Scheherazade" conducted by Rostropovich with the Orchestre de Paris. I will have to try the Dvorak but I doubt if I will have your luck.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

It's just a hobby
    Tchaikovsky - Pathetique Symphony - Pierre Monteaux LSC
    Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe Charles Munch LSC
    Edward Grieg Norwegian Dances
    Miles Davis - Marcus Miller - Siesta
    Havard Composers - Mendelsosohn String Quartet
    Smooth Jazz Festival - Various Artists - FIM
    peterBj likes this.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Yes the scandinavians now how to record well. A now disbandend Kansas City Band "The Rainmakers" did some of their best work from a studio in Sweden.
    As for Karma to Burn it just astounds with the quality of musician ship, recording and most of all selection and running order of songs. I have been a friend of Mike for a long time and to me he is one of the last true geniuses who writes from the heart and not for the ego. Trust me you will not be dissapointed.
    I also like the Eric Clapton you mentioned. A great one here is the "Unplugged" recording.

The Power of music gives you wings

Bernd

Trollgirl--isn't great that those unexpected finds are often as enjoyable as the long-sought after "treasure"?

JM--thanks for the compliment and certainly th suggestions. I'll look them up.
    The most remarkable thing about this album is that it was recorded in 1991! It is a double disc set with w #7 and #8 played by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and Czech Suite #39 and Symph#5 by the Czechs. The Czech pieces in particular are impressive. The sound is full and warm with strong instrumental definition. The Balance Engineer is someone named Vaclav Roubal, of whom I've never heard though he certainly had his s$@t together that evening. I've never heard a recording from that era sound so good.
    You know Ma did an album entitled simply "The Dvorak Album". Not the be-all-end-all in recording, but a good listen to be sure. In a different vein, Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante performed by Midori, Nobuko Imai and Christoph Eschenbach is a favorite of mine that I will recommend again and again.

TAH--Smooth Jazz--I love it!!! I read more flame wars start between old-school and defenders of new-school or whatever terms you want to apply. Personally, I love it all. I would never argue that on artistic merits David Sanborn, for instance, rates up with the giants but I respact it the same way I respect a good pop song--ear candy but good ear candy. The flames always seem to start at the mention of Sanborn or Norah Jones or Diana Krall who, of course, are all guilty pleasures of mine. There is a recent new release called DEF JAZZ which is Jeff Lorber's latest thang. Very street and very FUN

Everyone enjoy your music--Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    ...recorded just can not compete with live. I remember driving along in my car some years ago, I think it was in Leavenworth Kansas, listening to something-or-other. I don't remember if it was radio or casette. I was enjoying it until I drove by a band which was playing outdoors. Then I realized just how pathetic my car stereo was, how far short recorded music fell.

On the other hand, I have found amazing recorded music. Most recently, it was the CD "Footwork" by Knut Reiersrud. It was recorded in Norway, and I had only heard of it mentioned in the liner notes of another CD, also excellent. The sound quality was simply astonishing. It was used, and half-price in a used CD/LP store which is closing down. Wot a deal, but I'm going to miss the place...

Laz
    I was introduced to "Snowy White" through his work with "Pink Floyd" and he got a mention in their sleeve notes.Great find.

Bernd

Hey, where'd you guys come from? Welcome to Audioreview's Twilight Zone - also known as Rave Recs!

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. And where we talk about Izz and Califone and Proto-Kaw and Zazou, and even Cat Vomit and girly beers.

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality. You're on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable. Go as far as you like on this road. Its limits are only those of the mind itself. Ladies and gentlemen, you're entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. Next stop - the Twilight Zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hey, where'd you guys come from? Welcome to Audioreview's Twilight Zone - also known as Rave Recs!
    I thought this was a conversation between you and your many pseudonyms (how's my spelling?) Hehehe.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I thought this was a conversation between you and your many pseudonyms (how's my spelling?) Hehehe.
    Well, ya know, it often does feel as though I'm only talking to myself around here

Hey, too bad you don't really feel the magic for Andrew Bird because the latest just got an unexpected vinyl release. But think I already said that in another post. On the little itty bitty Grimsey label.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    What's spinning
    The last thing I spun was Samhain.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Hey speaking about spinning and Kinky vinyl, are any of you guys gonna get that new Ray Davies CD tomorrow or wait a couple weeks for the vinyl? People have been saying that it's very good. Have you heard anything from it Stone?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=28596

Hey speaking about spinning and Kinky vinyl, are any of you guys gonna get that new Ray Davies CD tomorrow or wait a couple weeks for the vinyl? People have been saying that it's very good. Have you heard anything from it Stone?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=28596
    I bought the Thanksgiving Day EP when it came out, coincidentally enough, around Thanksgiving. I think it's very good, and much better than the last few Kinks records. It has at least one of the same tracks as the upcoming album. Other than that track, I haven't heard it. I will buy the new album, but probably not tomorrow, and it'll likely be on CD when I do purchase it.

The Celtic Death God? Is the new wife a witch or something? Better be careful with that kinky witchcraft stuff, buddy. Does she have a couple sisters?

Well I got a few new ones and a few older ones...

but here goes. And it's not even Tuesday!

Editors - The Back Room
    - really diggin' their 80s style (Chameleons, Joy Division) that is probably better than the last Interpol record.
    [B]
    Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant - Statosphere Boogie[/B ]- Way cool stuff from the early 50s. Highly recommended.

Steve Gibbons Band - Down in the Bunker - great, underappreciated band from the late 70s. I don't recall hearing much about them on RR in the past. Too bad.

Arizona Amp and Alternator - S/T - nice new project from Howe Gelb, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Cat Power - The Greatest - I really like this lady, although this one isn't quite as good as Moon Pix.

Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain - heard Can't Exist on Sirius and had to pull this one out of the cd stacks.

Clearlake - Amber - This one is growing on me and it's quite a departure from Cedars, their previous release (I think).

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

The Celtic Death God? Is the new wife a witch or something?
    Can I plead the 5th in this type of forum?

Hmmm, me thinks this thread got moved here from another forum. Ya'll ain't too swift, are ya?

NP: Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    The Celtic Death God? Is the new wife a witch or something?
    Can I plead the 5th in this type of forum?
    Ya'll ain't too swift, are ya?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe Charles Munch LSC
    I have the RCA Living Stereo vinyl reissue of the 1954 performance by Munch and the BSO. I listened to it over the weekend - the chorus sounds so otherworldly and eerie.

Other recent spins include:
    In the Aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel, great album recommended recently on this board as one of the best albums of the 90s so I tracked it down.

Gram Parsons - GP and Grievous Angel. I saw some of the movie Gram Theft Parsons yesterday which inspired me to play these.

Dang! I forgot to add the one I've been listening to the most since Friday - Oh, Inverted World - The Shins. This was the token inexpensive lp added to my last vinyl order, but it became a favorite over the weekend (after a couple of weeks of just standing there in a stack).
    Last edited by dean_martin; 02-20-2006 at 03:09 PM.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. And where we talk about Izz and Califone and Proto-Kaw and Zazou, and even Cat Vomit and girly beers.

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality. You're on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable. Go as far as you like on this road. Its limits are only those of the mind itself. Ladies and gentlemen, you're entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. Next stop - the Twilight Zone!

Oh sure, yuck it up. But poor Bernd will never find his thread now.

Can I get a ticket on this ride? Pass the .....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Infrequent poster, but frequent listener

Now in heavy rotation around these parts:

Heather Waters ~ Shadow of You

Third Road Home ~ Venus in Retrograde

Mark Seliger's Rusty Truck ~ Broken Promises

Deadstring Brothers ~ S/T

Willie Porter ~ S/T

Real music at its best!

-dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

Page 1 of 129 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast