Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

Thanks for the kind...

....words friends.
    Laid back saturday morning listening. Even the B.O.T. is out. Life is good.

Anyway going round are these:

"Duke Special - Songs from the Deep Forest"
    Missed that one the first time around. If you like Josh Ritter you might dig this one.

"Jinder - I'm Alive" Good ole Americana to go with a strong cup of coffee.

"Goldspot - Tally of the Yes Men" Bought it on the strength of the single "Friday".

Have a great weekend one and all.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I went on a little road trip to South Carolina laste week, and found

Hannibal Marvin Peterson - Naima Direct 2 Direct, Sealed for $10.

I need to decide whether to break the seal or sell it on the 'Gon.

For now,

Erika Badu - Mama's Gun
    Perfect music for this gloomy saturday.

Peace out,

It's not often I listen to a Greatest Hits, but no ways I could resist this one.

The Vest Best of Soloman Burke.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I Am the Cosmos - Chris Bell
    picked this up last week after talkin' about it recently, I think on this forum. It's great to have something to remedy my need to listen to Big Star's Third/Sister Lover over and over again and again. Amazing how under the radar he remains...in fact, this just went out of print, on vinyl at least.

I'm also always happy when a friend opens the gatefold to a Steely Dan album (I'm picturing Pretzal Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy) and sees how they actually looked. So odd and, frankly, homely, a crew they were... and the big guy with the huge beard who's always wearing overalls (pedal steel player?)...I'm always surprised that they're the ones making this kind of music...

Bobby- I wanna come to your house. Bernd- Next time I'm on your island.

Carbon Glacier- Laura Viers (Nonesuch). Bloody enrapturing. This is production in the service of the artist. On both sides of the console. It took me about 5 listens to begin to get it. She's a coffee house singer/songwriter and at first I thought oh no no no . . they're killing her with production. But I kept listening and now I'm spellbound. Nonesuch, her producer, I think they understood how to support her from the git. It's magical. Oh yeah, this is a recommendation.

Bone- Dan amazes me on some songs how perfect they are constructed. The title track on Pretzel Logic . . tell me that isn't an encyclopedia of R&B.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

I read a recent interview with the pres./founder of Nonesuch...he talked about how he would take the handfull of demos he was interested in and drive away for the wkend. in his Audi...kick up the volume, disappear. I imagine him driving into the crazy landscapes of the Badlands, logged-out hills in Washington, changing leaves in upstate NY, etc....while listening to Laura Viers and how psyched he'd be to produce her stuff. Yeah, this is good stuff and I second the rec.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Several years ago I had a rather spirited disagreement with my Grandfather, the focus of which was Hilary Hahn who he dismisses for a variety of reasons that involve frumpy technobabble. During a break in what had become his soliloquy I informed him that Ms. Hahn's focus on emotion over technical perfection had its roots in a recent medical procedure she'd had during which a large stick was removed from her butt. I submitted he might find some gratification from the same procedure.

I may have been written out of the will.

Nonetheless it Hilary's 2003 Bach Concertos which accompanies me into the dark hours and I am grateful for her emotiveness and, indeed, clandestine technical prowess.

Name:  Hahn_-_Bach_cover.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  4.4 KB

Bone- I wanna come to your house, too. Bob- you're a bad man.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Jim.....

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Bobby- I wanna come to your house. Bernd- Next time I'm on your island.

Carbon Glacier- Laura Viers (Nonesuch). Bloody enrapturing. This is production in the service of the artist. On both sides of the console. It took me about 5 listens to begin to get it. She's a coffee house singer/songwriter and at first I thought oh no no no . . they're killing her with production. But I kept listening and now I'm spellbound. Nonesuch, her producer, I think they understood how to support her from the git. It's magical. Oh yeah, this is a recommendation.

Bone- Dan amazes me on some songs how perfect they are constructed. The title track on Pretzel Logic . . tell me that isn't an encyclopedia of R&B.
    ......you would be most welcome.
    Carbon Glacier sounds interesting.Thanks.

Monday morning blues over here:

"Chris Duarte Group - Blue Velocity"

Peace

Last edited by Bernd; 10-29-2007 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Erika Badu - Mama's Gun
    Perfect music for this gloomy saturday.

Peace out,

...which reminds me, I still gotta buy that album

at this moment:

Tord Gustavsen trio - The ground.

perfect for this dark, quiet evening

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    I watched more movies this weekend but did spin a Lee Michaels album I have on vinyl. Good stuff. I only heard of his song Know What I Mean but picked this album up at a show because the fact that it only had 4 songs a mile long caught my eye. Kind of a Boogie Rock in the vein of Savoy Brown. About the time this album was over and my tubes warm it was dinner time and I just didn't get back to do anymore listening.

*Note to myself, set aside more "me" time. It's OK to be selfish once in awhile. right? As the devil lurks on one shoulder and an angel on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    *Note to myself, set aside more "me" time. It's OK to be selfish once in awhile. right? As the devil lurks on one shoulder and an angel on the other.
    Absolutely!

I am enjoying this:

"John Fogerty - Revival" really enjoying it.

Peace

Yo, Bob. I got a Rudy VG for you that might be the best that I know of. It's just an early sixtes direct to two track studio recording: Tokyo Blues- Horace Silver Quintet. Good compositions and excellent soloing with tons of air around the horns. Very natural sounding all the way. I don't know if this has been re-released as a RVG Signature series but if it has, I would avoid it and go for the original.

Thanks for the rec jim. I've got some Horace Silver lyin' around but not that one and I'll make sure to snatch te original if I come across it. Right now the spinning that opens up the day is a classic from Concord Jazz, Herb Ellis & Joe Pass' Seven Come Eleven on SACD. Good stuff to start the afternoon.

what's spinning?

that's spinning

just perfect btw, I love this album

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Absolutely inspirational Bert. I've been enjoying a little David Sanborn on SACD. "Time Again" has some masterful production. But I think when I'm done a bit of Mr. Hancock might just fit fill the ticket.

Pull out somem'

Dexter Gordon - GO

It's on a white label, but UA pressings. I remember when I used to despise UA pressings but not no more. Things change and I guess good ol' JRA's finally starting to grow up...YEAH SON!!!!!

jrhyme- I own a copy of the Hannibal Marvin Peterson disc you picked up for $10. The music is pretty off the top, loose, not terribly structured, but sonically, well, you'll see when you listen. Suggest you let Naima play all the way thru. You can't find nothin by this artist on Amazon. Nyet. He was a featured player in The Gil Evans Orchestra for many years.

Suspended
    I cleaned and spun a couple vinyls I picked up at the last show. First was a Emmy Lou Harris which caught me a bit off guard because most of the songs were sort a uptempo Rockabilly/oldies sound. A couple nice ballads though. Her voice was great nonetheless. Then Steppenwolf, For Ladies Only. I don't know if it's because this is one of the first albums I had cutting my teeth on R&R or if this is as good as I think it is but I do enjoy this album and I finally found a good copy.

Chilled out afternoon even made better by some beautiful post-rock melodies courtesy of:

"Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss"

Peace

Sigur Rós: Hvarf-Heim

Not a real fan of the 2 CD setup for about an hour's worth of music. And, there is little new material here, mostly re-workings of old stuff, one disc electric the other acoustic. So, not really anything too special. But, if you like Sigur Rós, which i certainly do, you'll still find plenty to like if you don't fall in love with this release. The acoustic versions of some of their more popular tracks are a nice little change, even if they are actually still pretty similar to the originals. The electric disc is mostly older material before they really started getting exposure, so it's nice to revisit some of that. And, there are a couple totally new tracks. So, if you're already a fan, you'll probably want to hear this. If not, it's not even close to anything that's going to convince you, and I wouldn't call it a highlight of their catalog.

Speaking of Sigur Rós, anyone get a look at that 7LP set they got out? All their proper studio stuff, plus a disc with single stuff. A little pricey, but perhaps sometime. Why do these guys have to make all their vinyl either impossible to find or impossible to afford?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody

Sigur Rós: Hvarf-Heim

Not a real fan of the 2 CD setup for about an hour's worth of music. And, there is little new material here, mostly re-workings of old stuff, one disc electric the other acoustic. So, not really anything too special. But, if you like Sigur Rós, which i certainly do, you'll still find plenty to like if you don't fall in love with this release. The acoustic versions of some of their more popular tracks are a nice little change, even if they are actually still pretty similar to the originals. The electric disc is mostly older material before they really started getting exposure, so it's nice to revisit some of that. And, there are a couple totally new tracks. So, if you're already a fan, you'll probably want to hear this. If not, it's not even close to anything that's going to convince you, and I wouldn't call it a highlight of their catalog.

Speaking of Sigur Rós, anyone get a look at that 7LP set they got out? All their proper studio stuff, plus a disc with single stuff. A little pricey, but perhaps sometime. Why do these guys have to make all their vinyl either impossible to find or impossible to afford?
    Yes, I am waiting for the mailman to deliver the box set. Really looking forward to it.
    This morning I sort of continued the theme loosely and had playing:

"Jeniferever - Choose a bright Morning"

and

"The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again"

Peace

The "CD vs. Vinyl" thread had me of a mind to dust off some of the BIS classics and this forgotten treat demanded attention. For those that had considered exploring the BIS catalogue after that thread this is a good starting point. For whatever reason I would bet that Wooch and JM would appreciate this, perhaps Feanor as well...I would not presume to recommend anything to Pat D, but y'know...

The vocalists are top caliber and the music is sprightly and elegant. A winner if this kind of thing is your bag.

I just went over to a friend's and bought a bunch of sweet vinyl he's clearing out...he's much more of a collector than I am...lots of Japanese imports, colored and sealed vinyl, etc...
    Dead Can Dance - Into the Labrinth, double lp, 4AD...really pretty artwk. and great album

Billy Idol - White Wedding (on white vinyl, sealed), not sure if I'm going to open this quite yet...

Buffalo Tom - 12" signed single of Birdbrain, b/w Reason Why (acoustic), Heaven (acoustic)

Bob Mould - Wishing Well 12" (from WorkBook) b/w If It's True, Poison Years, Brasilia Crossed With Trenton, Shoot Out the Lights (w/ Anton Fier, Tony Maimone, & Chris Stamey)!

Arthur Russell - The World of Arthur Russell (3 lp release on Soul Jazz)

Tiny Lights - Prayer for the Halcyon Fear (if you ever find it, buy it!)

Scritti Politti - Perfect Way 45 lp (w/ set of hand-silkscreen'ed and type-set stamps)

New Order - Bizzare Love Triangle 45 lp

Joan Jett - Crimson and Clover 45 lp b/w Oh Woe Is Me

I've spent the past few days finally catching up with the newest RADIOHEAD after downloading it and paying....0.00 cents for it. I must say that I wouldn't have been disappointed if I had bought this one for normal retail price, as it has more hits than misses on it, although it's clearly not anywhere near the caliber of their older material, but it has more songs that I enjoy than their last 3 releases combined.

Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information