Page 85 of 129 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Tres Doggy's eh, man I haven't heard any for years. Good Stuff

Anyway, not sure if I get your meaning here, but there would be no benifit to convert Mp3s to lossless, the damage is already done. You would have to rerip everything in a lossless format.

Cheers,

LDB
    Yes of course, but thanks for the reply LDB. This is the wrong place for this discussion, but nobody frequents this thread. The re-ripping process is what makes me dread lossless the most...

Byron Lee and the Dragonnaires

This post is for the one and only Mr. nobody. Hey man, I'm almost done the torrent. Here's the albums that will be in it. 6 out of the 7 are in wicked shape and are 180 or 200g pressings. Reggae Charms, pictured top middle, is like a frisbee, has to be well over 200g, UK import. I'll keep you posted...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is spinning?-dsc02518.jpg  

I'm sure other people know more than I do about this digital stuff but I can tell you what I do. I save everything from either CD or LP as FLAC lossless on an external hard drive that has 1TB of space and also create a VBR MP3s and file those on the hard drive. Then, I put the VBR MP3s on my iPod and listen through that. I considered doing lossless through the iPod, but the big reason I went digital in the first place was to be able to carry a ton of music around in a little device and there is a pretty giant difference on how much you can fit MP3 vs. Lossless, like almost 10 times as much.

MP3 is a sound quality sacrifice. I know some people say there is no difference, but I think that's crazy. I usually use the iPod through my car stereo and even like that I can totally hear differences, particularly in songs with some hot sounding cymbals that stand out. I've heard people say how you convert helps with that sort of thing, but I have certain songs I've messed with a bunch and can't get rid of the distorted cymbals. I made the decision to have lesser sound for convenience sake in the car and portability.

I can play through my home stereo in lossless if I want to, although I pretty much never do, and I've got those lossless files for if I ever want to listen to CD quality in the car. I'd definitely suggest keeping those around just in case the sound sacrifice is too much for you. But yeah, like already said once you have something in MP3, you can't improve it so no point in converting to anything else from MP3s you already have.

For MP3s, I can't really tell much if any difference between VBR MP3s and the 320 ones, so I just use VBR which saves a decent amount of space vs. 320.

On bit of advice I'd give is keep your files organized. Mine are pretty much a mess and if I ever have to rebuild my iPod or anything's files I'd have my work cut out for me even though I do have all the files. I have more recently tried to be careful about filing things away in an organized manner and wish I had done so from the start.

And I am really looking forward to that torrent. No hurry, but let me know.

Oh, and what I'm listening to...

Laurel Aitken - Anthology: Godfather of Ska

Newly released anthology featuring 52 of Laurel Aitken’s most popular recordings from a period spanning more than thirty years. Highlights a variety of styles, from Mento through Ja. Boogie, Ska, Rock Steady and Boss Reggae, the collection features an array of Jamaican hits, along with his popular 1980s UK hits, making this by far the most comprehensive collection of his work ever to see issue. Really great to see a quality anthology spanning his entire career. This one has been a long time coming.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I'm sure other people know more than I do about this digital stuff but I can tell you what I do. I save everything from either CD or LP as FLAC lossless on an external hard drive that has 1TB of space and also create a VBR MP3s and file those on the hard drive. Then, I put the VBR MP3s on my iPod and listen through that. I considered doing lossless through the iPod, but the big reason I went digital in the first place was to be able to carry a ton of music around in a little device and there is a pretty giant difference on how much you can fit MP3 vs. Lossless, like almost 10 times as much.

MP3 is a sound quality sacrifice. I know some people say there is no difference, but I think that's crazy. I usually use the iPod through my car stereo and even like that I can totally hear differences, particularly in songs with some hot sounding cymbals that stand out. I've heard people say how you convert helps with that sort of thing, but I have certain songs I've messed with a bunch and can't get rid of the distorted cymbals. I made the decision to have lesser sound for convenience sake in the car and portability.

I can play through my home stereo in lossless if I want to, although I pretty much never do, and I've got those lossless files for if I ever want to listen to CD quality in the car. I'd definitely suggest keeping those around just in case the sound sacrifice is too much for you. But yeah, like already said once you have something in MP3, you can't improve it so no point in converting to anything else from MP3s you already have.

For MP3s, I can't really tell much if any difference between VBR MP3s and the 320 ones, so I just use VBR which saves a decent amount of space vs. 320.

On bit of advice I'd give is keep your files organized. Mine are pretty much a mess and if I ever have to rebuild my iPod or anything's files I'd have my work cut out for me even though I do have all the files. I have more recently tried to be careful about filing things away in an organized manner and wish I had done so from the start.

And I am really looking forward to that torrent. No hurry, but let me know.
    Great advice. I think I am going to stay with MP3 for now. I just don't have the time to re-rip anyways. I just got done cleaning, re-bagging and organizing all of my vinyl and it took me basically a couple of months, One thing I will do is buy an external HD to throw in the mix.

The thing that's been taking me so long with the torrent is the editing for Audacity. I have been experimenting with post production noise. I hate thinking I am reducing any sound quality by removing hisses and such. Each rip, I have been spending time to play around with the editing. Any thoughts?

That ska album looks really badazz, where did you get it?

Picked it up locally, but it's at Amazon and the usual online outlets I believe.

Got another one with a cover that poppachubby won't like...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Got another one with a cover that poppachubby won't like...

How'd you know? The thing that's unique about this little gem is it has an equally bad title. "The people you never get...." "AAAhhhhhhhh shaaaadaaappp!!!!"

New Wolfmother and Gov't Mule...torrents right now but these are both awesome, hopefully some tasty vinyl available.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Oh, and what I'm listening to...

Laurel Aitken - Anthology: Godfather of Ska

Newly released anthology featuring 52 of Laurel Aitken’s most popular recordings from a period spanning more than thirty years. Highlights a variety of styles, from Mento through Ja. Boogie, Ska, Rock Steady and Boss Reggae, the collection features an array of Jamaican hits, along with his popular 1980s UK hits, making this by far the most comprehensive collection of his work ever to see issue. Really great to see a quality anthology spanning his entire career. This one has been a long time coming.
    I know virtually nothing about this guy, but this looks too good to pass up. Thanks.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Wicked album, Benson has perfect tone, I doubt he's played a bad note in his entire life...

Love this album, I have a wonderful pressing...

BT - This Binary Universe.

It's a nice way to groove on a weeknight.
    Have a great week to all.

Suspended
    I've got that BT.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm spinning Chris DeBurgh's The Getaway this morning. I haven't listened to this album in many, many years. But Chris was in my head this morning so I pulled out the two DeBurgh albums that I have, The Getaway and Spanish Train (up next). I used to be a huge Chris DeBurgh fan back in the early 80's. I haven't paid much attention to his career in the last 20 years. Does he even still have a career?

I didn't realize until this morning that Steve Negus (former drummer for Saga) played on this disk. I was also a huge Saga fan in the 80's, so I don't know how I missed that one.

Suspended
    I've got Deburgh's Best Of comp not many of the songs caught my interest but it needs a closer listen. I mainly bought it for Don't Pay The Ferryman & Lady In Red. I don't know what he is up to these days.

Lately, I have been boning up on some of the masters of the 20th Century Minimalist movement. I haven't cared that much for many of the works of P. Glass, whose leitmotif gets under my skin at times....On the other hand, I have enjoyed various comps penned by Steve Reich and others, whose work seems to be more captivating and invigorating. The latest one to catch my ear is Reich's Music for 18 Musicians. Using such devices as phase shifts and overlapping cadences (not sure if this is an actual term--hope you get it), Reich's music flows between atonality and melody in a creepy and visceral way. If you're stuck on the 12-note contraints of the Western Musical idiom, Reich might not suit you; but if you can bear exploring a wider world that knows no semitones or rhythms as such, Reich might startle you yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    That's alright Auric we don't get most of what you say but we love you any way

Aww, Mr. P, you just know how to fill my bosom! Here, have a beer an' set a spell....

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I woke up with a *****in' headache this morning so the spinnage has had to be low key today. Elbow has been working very nicely for me today.

I started with Seldom Seen Kid, moved on to Leaders of the Free World, and I'm now spinning Asleep in the Back.

How do I add images from the internets? I can't seem to get it to work.

My local record shop has a few really nice albums of Billy Preston's. I figure I should pick em up. I paid 6 bucks and the vinyl is mint. Really fun album but too short!! I want more...

Suspended
    Ah, got to spend the afternoon with the table turning and the amps at high velosity. Kicked it off with the Monkeys Greatest Hits while my tubes warmed up. Then the entire Rush, Hemispheres LP and another side of Caress Of Steel, then a couple tracks from Styx II and Pieces Of Eight, then the entire Billy Cobham LP, Spectrum, featuring Jan Hammer and the late Tommy Bolin. Man is this a smoking album for those who appreciate good Fusion. http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/r...f=pd_krex_dp_a

War

I was going to post the cover art of the Jennifer Warnes album I was listening to, but I figured poppachubby's brain might explode upon mareveling at its creativity. Instead, I'm spinning this CD (I know...crazy, huh...digital) in his honor...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I was going to post the cover art of the Jennifer Warnes album I was listening to, but I figured poppachubby's brain might explode upon mareveling at its creativity. Instead, I'm spinning this CD (I know...crazy, huh...digital) in his honor...

Figures the album to honour me has a broken link, what is it?

Page 85 of 129 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast

Thread Information