Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

So is that it? Are we done with the Tuesday thread then?

It was missed last week and here we are at lunchtime on Tuesday this week...and no thread?

Well... I'm not letting it die! I may not post in it every week, but I do read it every week. So here's my list, as boring and mundane as it might be...

Keane - Hopes and Fears (I hope they succeed, I fear they will bore themselves into oblivion).
    Ray LaMontagne - A fantastic rec from the Swish-meister! Thanks Swishy, I'm lovin' this one!!!
    Green Day - American Idiot - I still think this is the highlight of 2004.
    Finger Eleven - Grayest of Blue Skies - It's okay. Their 2003 s/t is better, IMHO.
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow - This one has become one of my fave CDs to do cardio to.
    The Killers - Hot Fuss - This one took me a while to warm up to, but now that I have I think it's a kick-ass disk.
    Rik Emmett - Absolutely, Spiral Notebook and Ipso Facto.
    Triumph - Just A Game
    Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething

There was some other stuff too, but my aging brain is failing me and I can't remember.

Forum Regular
    Andreas wolleinveider caverna magica and white winds.
    Diana krall Live in paris( DVD)
    Fernando Delgadillo ( nueva trova)
    Ayreon the human equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    Andreas wolleinveider caverna magica and white winds.
    Diana krall Live in paris( DVD)
    Fernando Delgadillo ( nueva trova)
    Ayreon the human equation.
    Hey Javier! I am really craving some latin music lately. (Spanish language only please.)

Can you tell me more about Wolleinveider and Delgadillo? I'm really intrigued by the first one. Isn't that a German name? And its hard to tell from the title if its in English, Spanish or both?

Thanks,

Snowie

(Any other recs would be appreciated. I like guitar, "modern" mariachi sounds and "indie" styles.)

A few new things and lotsa jazz.

Spock's Beard - Octane. Still growing on me. There's certainly some nice hooks in there. Feel Euphoria didn't grab me right away either so I'm not concerned. However, if you're hoping for the Spock's Beard of old you won't find it here. Go buy Morse's solo stuff for that.

Arena - Pepper's Ghost. Those expecting a neo-prog album beware. This is straight up prog metal. I certainly was thrown a bit. The last track is quite good.

Other stuff:

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South. I don't what it is about this album but I just love it.
    Moody Blues - Children's Children
    Tull - Stand Up. The Mofi
    Tull - Benefit
    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection. The Mofi

Jazz:

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder. Some say this is Lee's finest album as a leader. Soul jazz at it's best. The title track is most excellent.

Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares. Hank is quickly becoming one of my favorite tenor saxophonist. His 60's output on Blue Note are all excellent.

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch. To "free" and "avante garde" for my tastes.

Stanley Turrentine - Up At "Mintons". A great live set from yet another excellent tenor saxophonist.

Joe Henderson - In n' Out. There was no shortage of tenor saxophonists in the 50's and 60's. Another Blue Note classic.

Dexter Gordon - Go. Yet another tenor saxophonist playing some fine hard bop.

Johnny Griffin - A Blowin' Session. Anyone looking for Blue Note recordings from the 50's and 60's will find a plethora of music to choose from with much of it remastered in Rudy Van Gelder series. Anyway, Johnny Griffin was yet another tenor saxophonist from the era.

Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones. What do ya know, a trumpeter. Freddie released a bunch good albums on Blue Note. This one is no exception.

Alright, I think that's about enough. The list seems long but I haven't posted to the Tuesday thread in awhile.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It was missed last week and here we are at lunchtime on Tuesday this week...and no thread?

Well... I'm not letting it die! I may not post in it every week, but I do read it every week. So here's my list, as boring and mundane as it might be...

Keane - Hopes and Fears (I hope they succeed, I fear they will bore themselves into oblivion).
    Ray LaMontagne - A fantastic rec from the Swish-meister! Thanks Swishy, I'm lovin' this one!!!
    Green Day - American Idiot - I still think this is the highlight of 2004.
    Finger Eleven - Grayest of Blue Skies - It's okay. Their 2003 s/t is better, IMHO.
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow - This one has become one of my fave CDs to do cardio to.
    The Killers - Hot Fuss - This one took me a while to warm up to, but now that I have I think it's a kick-ass disk.
    Rik Emmett - Absolutely, Spiral Notebook and Ipso Facto.
    Triumph - Just A Game
    Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething

There was some other stuff too, but my aging brain is failing me and I can't remember.
    Happy Flag Day, Autumn Girl!

I think the problem with the Tuesday thread (IMO) is that some people have been just tacking their new list on the previous Tuesday's list, which makes a monster big list with lots of hits. They do that a lot over at obner.org and I find it really onerous to have to scroll through 10,000 responses.

This week:

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
    Mirah - C'mon Miracle
    Slosh's - Oddly Enough Comp
    Franz Ferdinand - FF
    Marillion sampler (kind of against my will)
    Modest Mouse - Moon and Antarctica

Did anyone see MM perform on late night tv? I forget which show. They did a good job on Float On, but man has Brock Isaak pudged up! When I saw them a few years back in Vancouver he was this skinny little indie kid in a trucker cap! I didn't even recognize him. And sadly, I still can't seem to enjoy Good News, other than the odd track. Very dissapointing after such a stellar history of Modest Mouse all-killer/no-filler albums.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Happy Flag Day, Autumn Girl!
    It's Flag Day? Man, I'm still trying to get over the massive hangover I had from Groundhog's Day.

It's Flag Day? Man, I'm still trying to get over the massive hangover I had from Groundhog's Day.
    Isn't it Flag Day all over the world? They made a really big deal about it in Oaxaca when I was there a few years back. Parades and political speeches and all sorts of celebrations. I plan to knock back a few shots of Canadian rye to celebrate!

Oh, and also, I was listening to The Shins on my walk to work this morning too! If you like that one, do you have Franz Ferdinand? You know, after all these years, I finally figured out what RIYL means!

Isn't it Flag Day all over the world? They made a really big deal about it in Oaxaca when I was there a few years back. Parades and political speeches and all sorts of celebrations. I plan to knock back a few shots of Canadian rye to celebrate!
    According to my calendar, Flag Day in Mexico is February 24. Flag Day in the US is June 14. Apparently Canada doesn't matter because I can't find it on my calendar...
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

And you will know us by the trail of dead- Worlds Apart
    Systems Theory- Music for imaginary Soundtracks
    Zurdok- Maquillaje
    XTC- Wasp Star
    David and David- Boomtown
    Secret Cheifs 3- Book of Horizons
    Mr. Bungle- California
    Supergrass- In it for the $
    Cardiacs- Songs for Ships and Irons
    Talking Heads- Reamin in Light
    Quirky Pop 3 & 4

Some Pixies Surfer Rosa and some Spoon Girls Can Tell and some Violent Femmes and some Mercury Rev The Secret Migration and some Clay Aiken It's Shit, Who Cares and that colossal new one that I talked about in another thread by Wayne Robbins and the Hellboys (or Hellraisers, or Hellthinkers ... no wait, Hellsayers, that's it) The Lonesome Sea and Interpol Antics and that's about it I guess. The Hellsayers Rule!

What others have said about "The Lonesome Sea"

Jeff Tweedy from Wilco: "Oh, that's great; thanks a lot."

Will Oldham: "Thanks, man."

Chris Robinson from The Black Crowes: "I love the record."

Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth: "I'll definitely listen to it."

Bob Dylan's bodyguard: "This is private property, young man."

Vice President Dick Cheney: "Go fuck yourself" (note: we're not sure if he was referring to us or not)

Jim James from My Morning Jacket: "I really like you guys a lot."

Grandaddy: "The Hellslayers?? Like the cover."

Ian Ball from Gomez: "Alright, we'll definitely check it out."

Silly Hellsayers. So I also spun that cool little comp that Sloshy just put out recently called Snowdrift, and another cool little one from Mike that he just mentioned recently called Bittersweet Bundle. And a new one from Diggity Dave called help me fill in the blank that I've been toying with and that may or may not resemble this...

The Pixies - Bone Machine / Break My Body
    Hector Zazou - I'll Strangle You
    Mark Lanegan Band - Hit the City (w/ PJ Harvey)
    Autolux - Turnstile Blues
    Augie March - Little Wonder
    Harold Budd - Arabesque 3
    Hector Zazou - In the Middle of the Night (w/ Lori Carson)
    Fiery Furnaces - Single Again
    Lockgroove - Waste My Time / Payin' The Price
    Mercury Rev - Vermillion
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Cannibal's Hymn
    The Flaming Stars - A Little Bit Like You / Cash 22
    The National - All the Wine
    Tindersticks - City Sickness / Marbles
    Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers - Time is a Bird in Your Eyes / Jesus
    Last edited by Davey; 02-15-2005 at 07:02 PM.

(Any other recs would be appreciated. I like guitar, "modern" mariachi sounds and "indie" styles.)
    I've been listening to a disc from a band called Illapu...Chilean folk music and most excellent. My neighbour burned me a copy and I could do the same. Lemme know.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Apparently Canada doesn't matter because I can't find it on my calendar...
    Flag Day (unofficial) in Canada is Feb 15th. Get yourself a decent calendar wouldya.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Cass McCombs, PREfection- this minimally smelly fish is going back outta my house fairly about as quick as it came in.
    The Frames, Burn The Maps- I've read a few pretty harsh reviews of this one. I like it.
    The Anomoanon, Joji- Will Oldham's brother Ned and his band. Also like this. A bit dark, not much twang.
    Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billy, Superwolf- I think I read somewhere that this was a product of these two holing up in a cabin somewhere for a few days doing psychotropic chemicals and writing songs. I would not suggest another wild weekend. It's okay, but not great.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

one's all you get

Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Oh, My Girl (Lucinda who?)
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I had some driving time again over the past few weeks and I was sick for a while so I got some serious listening in:

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Blow In the Wind
    Mustard Plug - Pray For Mojo
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Ted Leo + Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
    The Hollies - Greatest Hits
    The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    The Kinks - Greatest Hits
    Murphy's Law - s/t
    Boston - s/t
    Les Savy Fav - Inches
    The Psychedelic Furs - s/t
    The Rosenbergs - Mission: You
    Lou Reed - Berlin
    Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
    Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
    Brian Wilson - presents SMiLE
    Billie Holiday - The Essence of...
    The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
    The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
    Geza X - You Goddam Kids!
    The Hollies - Words and Music by Bob Dylan
    Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
    Husker Du - New Day Rising
    High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings
    Cracker - s/t
    The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
    The Futureheads - s/t
    Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
    Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Through the Looking Glass
    V/A - 20 Golden Hits
    Dave Davies - Rock Bottom: Live at the Bottom Line
    The Pogues - Pogue Mahone
    Camper Van Beethoven - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart

I got some serious listening in.....

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Blow In the Wind
    Mustard Plug - Pray For Mojo
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Ted Leo + Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
    The Hollies - Greatest Hits
    The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    The Kinks - Greatest Hits
    Murphy's Law - s/t
    Boston - s/t
    Les Savy Fav - Inches
    The Psychedelic Furs - s/t
    The Rosenbergs - Mission: You
    Lou Reed - Berlin
    Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
    Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
    Brian Wilson - presents SMiLE
    Billie Holiday - The Essence of...
    The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
    The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
    The Hollies - Words and Music by Bob Dylan
    Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
    Husker Du - New Day Rising
    High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings
    Cracker - s/t
    The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
    The Futureheads - s/t
    Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
    Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Through the Looking Glass
    V/A - 20 Golden Hits
    Dave Davies - Rock Bottom: Live at the Bottom Line
    The Pogues - Pogue Mahone
    Camper Van Beethoven - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart
    I've got a few thoughts...

First, hope you're feeling a lot better.

Second, the least we expect from Mr. AR (and that doesn't stand for Audio Review) is to put the damn list in alphabetical order!

Third, I thought that one in red just came out today. Did you get an early copy? How is it? Where's all the comments? What good is a friggin list of albums with no comments? We're not in obner anymore, Toto!

Sorry, guess that last one covered thoughts 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 too.

Hey Davey! I am really craving some latin music lately. (Spanish language only please.)
    Yeah, I know, I don't look or sound like Javier and don't know a zapato from a zapatero, but here's a great album to scribble down on the old ragged CD shopping wishlist...

Some nice comments at amazon if you click the cover. She also sung some on that very nice Los Super Seven disc called Canto that I submitted a song from for one of our Rave Recs comps (she didn't sing on that song though). It had a couple guys from Los Lobos and some Tex Mex flavor too. But some of it is in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Third, I thought that one in red just came out today. Did you get an early copy? How is it? Where's all the comments? What good is a friggin list of albums with no comments? We're not in obner anymore, Toto!
    Here's the deal:

(a) I don't know if I got an early copy or not, but the guy at the music store has provided early copies to me before.

(b) It sounded good on first listen, but I've only spun it once, which leads to my next answer....

(c) I can provide very preliminary and basically meaningless comments on the 3 new albums I got, but I've only spun each one of them once so I'm not sure how helpful it'd be (if at all).

I can tell you this, of the three new ones (Bright Eyes, Andrew Bird, High on Fire), High on Fire caught my attention the most. I'm definitely going to have to spend more time with all of them to get a good sense about them, though.

P.S. Alphabetical? I thought I was doing good just by keeping track this time.

P.S.S. Does anyone else find Berlin to be very inconsistent? There are a few very good tracks on it, but some of them just bore the shit out of me.

P.S.S.S. The Pogues just weren't the same after Shane MacGowan left/got kicked out. Anyone heard the stuff he did with the Popes?

P.S.S.S.S. I was on a bit of a Hollies kick lately. I also listened to part of Sing Hollies In Reverse, which is a Hollies tribute album and has such artists as Material Issue, Mitch Easter, E, and the Posies. They had some really good songs, but put out some real dreck too.

P.S.S.S.S.S. See other threads for comments on Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

I haven't participated in awhile, so....

Smithereens - Best of
    David Sylvian - Gone to Earth and Brilliant Trees/Words with the Shaman
    Pretenders - Loose Screw
    Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
    Monti Amundson - Big Monti's Blues
    The Drowners - Gasoline
    ZZ Top - XXX (thanks Eff Pea!)
    Eric Gales Band - Picture of a Thousand Faces

Lots of comps:

The CD Side of Town - FP (great stuff! My favorite Finchster comp)
    Timasheen 3, 6, and 12 (Odds comp) - jack70 (the obscure dinosaur rock [6] is a lot of fun. I didn't think anyone else had ever even heard of May Blitz--and my favorite Blitz tune is on the comp)
    The Proggers Can Eat My Shorts - YECH (along with Bryan's The Last Waltz, this is as good as comp-making gets).
    Finch's Mystery Disk - It took me forever to finally get around to listening to it; it has some very good moments, but mostly isn't my cuppa tea.
    Louisiana Siren - JDaniel (great Lucinda comp)
    Harpin' 2 - JDaniel (and me)
    Biff and Barbara Jane Present Canadian Club Vol I and II - DLD/Snowbunny (features some mighty fine Tragically Hip and 54-40 tunes, but my favorite cut is Gaye Delorme's Downtown L.A. -- straight out of the Dire Straits songbook and excellent!

My own stuff:

unsolicited
    Slidin' Through the Bayou
    (Sonny Landreth comp)
    Blues Deluxe 18-23

Up next:

Chris Whitley - Long Way Around (Anthology)
    The Dregs - Best of
    The Swish Mix
    Timemasheen 11
    Real Roots Rock+Roll
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Talking Felt like I should chime in...

I never post on the Tunesday thread (or most any others for that matter), but I felt compelled this week to contribute b/c of ForeverAutumn's pleading...

I wanted to thank everyone for all of the great recommendations. I always read the thread, and I have discovered bands I would have never found were it not for Stone, Davey, Troy, Ex Lion Tamer, Slosh, tentoze, ForeverAutumn, Jim Clark, Finchy, audiobill, Dusty Chalk, mad rhetoric, Swish, Jar, etc, etc, etc. A big shout out to you all!!! Forgive me if I didn't mention your name.

Now, enough gushing...

Here's what I've heard this week:

Pinback - Summer in Abaddon. I can't believe I waited this long to get this! I've read you guys talking about this band for so long, but couldn't pull the trigger. I heart this. Gonna have to get the other stuff.

Denali - The Instinct. I don't recall anyone talking about this recently, read about it on the CNET forum. Great female voice. Solid band. Sounds like more musically mature Portishead, as described. Highly recommend for fans of that band. Need to get the first album which supposedly was much like P...

The Legends - Up Against the Legends. I heart this also. Of the current 80'sish bands, including Franz Ferdinand, et al., I think I like this best, though still like the others. Solid.

I have been listening to these 3 repeatedly since acquiring last week.

Others:
    Chicago Underground Duo (now Trio) - 12 Degrees of freedom. Had heard good things about these guys, and this album is good, though need to be in the mood for modern, free jazz.

Broken Social Scene - feel good lost. First album, hardly any vocals. Much experimentation with sound. I like it better with each listen.

Interpol - Antics has been in heavy rotation for weeks. I initially was disappointed, now feel I may like more than Turn on...(sorry I didn't discuss in that thread).

Interpol - live recording referred by Jim Clark. Good show.

Hope of the States - live recording downloaded from one of the Jim referrals. I really like this performance, and I ordered the album. I think that I love this band, too.

Arcade Fire - both live album (again from Jim) and Funeral. Really like this band, too!

I am really excited about all of this new music that's happening right now. I was pretty disappointed in the late '90's and early 00's. Now, my ATM card is getting worked as often as when I was in college. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I also revisited some jimmy eat world - bleed american and citizen cope (don't know the name of the cd, burned for me). the jimmy eat album I had kinda given up on a long time ago, but I enjoyed it again.

That's most of it for now. I just wanted to offer my appreciation and thanks for your dedication, everyone. Although there may appear to be only a few posters, I'm sure there are others like me who religiously check in each week to see what you guys are talking about.

Keep up the good work!
    Mysterio
    "I found a fatal flaw
    in the logic of love,
    and went out of my head..."

Forum Regular

Guilty Pleasure

Good for you! I try to post when I have time and I always read through it.

My guilty pleasure is Italian Oboe Concertos, vol. 2, Anthony Camden, oboe, with Nicholas Ward and the City of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554772. The four composers, Salieri, Besozzi, Platti, and Rosetti are minor figures but still quite competent composers. The Salieri piece is particularly beautiful (he didn't really kill Mozart!) But Anthony Camden and the orchestra play these with great style and the sound is simply gorgeous. Very enjoyable.

Bach, Toccatas and Fugues, Helmut Walcha, organ. DG Privilege 427 191-2.

Dvorak, String Quartet No. 9, Op. 34; Terzetto, Op. 74. Vlach Qt. Naxos 8.554772.

Schumann, The Four Symphonies, Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam. Philips 416 126-2.

The Rankin Family, Fare Thee Well Love. EMI C2 99996.

The Famous Sound of Three Blind Mice, vo. 3, TBM CD 9003. Three Blind Mice is the record label, audiophile recordings of jazz music by Japanese artists. Various groups are represented. TBM is known for its sound quality.

Diana Krall, The Look of Love.

We also got some CDs from the local library:

Honegger, Symphony No. 2, Concerto da camera, Prelude, Arioso & Fughetta. Turovsky, I Musici de Montreal. Chandos 8632.

Charles Ives, Symphony No. 2, Robert Browning Overture. Schermerhorn, Nashville Symphony Orchestra. Naxos 8.8.559076. The Overture is tough going but the symphony is more approachable. Excellent recording quality.

Ella Fitzgerald, The Jerome Kern Songbook. Verve 825 669-2.

Patricia Barber, Verse.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Hey, man!

Wow, a "local". I'm just over the hill(s) from you in Stockton. Glad you chimed in.

I haven't been to Scruz in a while- I used to go all the time when Streetlight had the real cheap CDs under the racks of regular-priced discs. I know, they still have them, but not like they used to.

Where do you CD shop in SC? Any other stores I should know about?

Thanks,

fp

Edit: Oops- this post is aimed at Mysterio...

and then.. mean Mister Mommy Man got out the butt pliers!

NO NOT THE BUTT PLIERS!!!

good lord..
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

P.S.S. Does anyone else find Berlin to be very inconsistent? There are a few very good tracks on it, but some of them just bore the shit out of me.

I don't, but I think I'm in the minority. I;ve heard plenty of people mention this. I'm a big fan of the albu8m though, just have to be in the right frame of mind to pull it out.

P.S.S.S. The Pogues just weren't the same after Shane MacGowan left/got kicked out. Anyone heard the stuff he did with the Popes?

I don't really like his stuff with the Popes nearly as much as with the Pogues. It just doesn't have the charm of the Pogues, retains traces of the Irish music, but mostly more straight rock. His glory days were with the Pogues, and personally I dont see him hitting those heights again, unfortunately, but you never know.

P.S.S.S.S.S. See other threads for comments on Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven.

I'm with ya on the love for Beloved revolutionary Sweetheart. Camper Van Beethoven was a great band, although I never really got into Cracker outside of a song here and there, Euro Trash Girl is a great tune. Kinda like the Pogues comment above, I think going in a more traditional direction with Cracker drained the uniqueness and charm from the sound.
    Don't have enough time to post my listens...maybe later.

Here's the deal:

I have The Snake, from 1994. Sounds like the Pogues to me, which is to say that it is very good. "Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway" is about as good as any Pogues song, and that sez a lot.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information