Forum Regular

Cool Tuesday Second Thread

Well, I didn't get the first Tuesday thread on the new forum, I'll try for the second! Besides, I have to go out and can't wait.

Haydn, Symphony no. 22 “The Philosopher.” Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550724. I didn’t listen to nos. 29 & 60 this time.

Wagner, Siegfried Idyll; Brahms, Serenade no. 1. Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Chamber Ensemble. Philips 426 298-2.

Chopin, Etudes. John Browning, piano. RCA 60131-2-RV.

Walton, Symphony no. 1, Variations on a Theme by Hindemith. Vernon Handley, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. EMI CDC 74966712.

Haydn, The Seasons. Heather Harper, soprano; Ryland Davies, tenor; John Shirley-Quirk, baritone; Sir Colin Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Philips 289 464 034-2.

Deems Taylor, Through the Looking Glass; Charles T. Griffes, The Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan, The White Peacock, Poem for Flute and Orchestra, Bacchanale. Schwarz, Seattle Symphony. Delos DE 3099.

Mendelssohn, Symphonies nos. 3 and 4 (Scottish and Italian). Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony. London D 140143.

Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Posthorn Serenade. Mackerras, Prague Chamber Orchestra. Telarc CD-80108.

Mussorgsky (arranged by Stokowski), Pictures at an Exhibition; Scriabin, Poem of Ecstasy; Stravinsky, Pastorale, Firebird Suite. Leopold Stokowski, various orchestras. London, 443 898-2. The sound is not great, but the performance of the Firebird Suite is the best ever, I think.

Praetorius, Dances from Terpsichore. Westra nos Pijpare. Naxos 8.553865.

Chominciamento di gioia. Ensemble Unicorn. Naxos 8.553131.

Dvorak, String Quartets nos. 8 and 11. Vlach Quartet Prague. Naxos 8.553372.

Dvorak, String Quartets no. 12 and 13. Vlach Qt. Naxos 8.553371.

Stan Rogers, Between the Breaks . . . Live! Fogarty’s Cove Music FCM-002.

Optional Subject

Love that Walton 1st, it's been a few years since I've spun it. I have the Telarc recording with Andre Previn & the Royal Philharmonic.. they also do wonderful versions of the Crown Imperial and Orb & Sceptre marches.. the Orb & Sceptre is one of my favorite orchestral pieces ever, it's almost jazzy in parts, and those Telarc bass drums just shake the room.. I once heard this disc demonstrated in one of the Telarc mixing rooms.. pretty amazing.

anyway, as for my stuff:

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
    Killing Joke - Killing Joke
    Deftones - Deftones
    Thursday - War All The Time
    Death In Vegas - Scorpio Rising
    Manitoba - Up In Flames

UnleasHell's SHAM Vol. 1
    Mr. MidFi's Meta Comp #4

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Vinyl stuff:

Best of Steve Goodman, 2 lp set on Buddah from '76
    The Point, Harry Nilsson, wish somebody would put the made-for-tv movie out on dvd
    Fred Neil, Other Side of This Life
    Neil Young, Decade
    Wishbone Ash, Argus
    Derek & Dominoes, Layla
    2 or 3 Yardbirds that I don't recall the titles of.
    Cream, Disraeli gears
    Gabriel, So
    Little Feat, Waiting For Columbus

cd stuff

Amalgamated Sons of Rest, Will Oldham, Jason Molina, and Alasdair Roberts on an EP from last year. AMG wasn't thrilled with it, but I like it.
    Moses Guest, S/T- double cd of jam-band influenced
    Decline of British Seapower, a late-coming possible addition to my best-of-the-year list.
    Shins, Chutes Too Narrow, not bad, but......

and more.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Different things this week…

Duke Ellington: Ebony Rhapsody
    A collection of tracks featuring an assortment of vocalists. Seems like a decent place to start for a guy that’s just got a giant catalog to explore.

Sigur Ros: () and the one I can’t spell.
    Perfect music to watch the snow falling.

Mum – Finally We Are No One
    See above.

Angie Stone – Black Diamond
    You really don’t have to go all that far back to find some good soulful R&B out there. Sounds a bit like Roberta Flack.

Tosca: Dehli 9
    Nice, laid back grooves. Beautiful packaging as well and a second CD of ambient stuff to help you drift off.

Love & Rockets: Express and Earth, Sun, Moon
    Express picks me up, Earth, Sun, Moon calms me down.

Echo and the Bunnymen: Ocean Rain
    My personal favorite from these guys. I’ve always really liked the song Crystal Days.

Jesus and Mary Chain: Darklands
    This one has aged well. Side one is incredible. One of those where the CD just doesn’t sound right. Find the vinyl if you have a turntable.

Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    Because sometimes I forget what a great album this is. Pulled out the Too Drunk to Fcuk 12” while I was at it.

Lou Reed: Perfect Night
    Good live disc with nice sound as well. Some of the tunes seem slowed down. Nice to hear The Kids, a personal favorite of mine. I just wish he’d let us forget about the travesty that is The Original Rapper. With a better set list, this could have been stellar.

Massive Attack: 100th Window
    Still digging it.

Also listened to some comps, Stone’s year enders from 2002, Audiobill’s 73-74 comp, and a 2003 comp of mine that I’m gonna change before offering. Other stuff too, of course. Some more Jazz stuff, some Black Sabbath, a bit of Spiritualized, Maxwell and more...

Forum Regular
    Lots of time in the car this past week. Still listening to things I recently purchased and posted on, but here are some new ones:

Gov't Mule: The Deepest End (The CDs crank, especially Blindman in the Dark, and I'm thinking of throwing a party just to show off the DVD)

My Morning Jacket: It Still Moves (This could get long term listening time...)

Deathcab for Cutie: We have the Facts... (New purchase for me. Now looking at Transatlanticism)

Oingo Boingo: Only a Lad

The Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

Phantom Planet : The Guest (POS, bound for a trade-in)

Bob Mould: Workbook

dld
    Forum Regular

Toonage since Sunday's thread

Beatles Let It Be-Nekkid

Fiction Plane - Everthing Will Never Be OK

Jack Ingram - Live At Billy Bob's

The Who - Tommy, Side 4

The Tragically Hip - Day for Night

Radiohead - The Bends

Jon Fahey - Live In Tasmania

Some OK Enya release from 2000, can't remember the name

Also Sprach Zarathustra, I believe its by Andre Previn and The New York Philharmonic, a fat MOFI slab of vinyl heaven
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Forum Regular
    Been playing some BeBopDeluxe, Stan Ridgway, Yes, some komps, a rock komp Jar sent me (thanks), Satellite, some real weak Tull boots, and some other boring stuff.

Dave

Currently listening to my own Toast n Jams comp. Forgot about some of the great tunes on this one. The ABB's "Where it all Begins" is primo.

Also been spinning:

a 2 CD Tull comp, but i can't remember who sent it to me...

moe. - warts and all, vol. 2

robert randolph - unclassified

bomb squad - sophistafunk

either/orchestra - neo-modernism

galactic - a live one i can't remember the title of...

some more of my own comps and a lot of christmas music on satellite (wife really digs holiday tunes... tho i think its a bit early yet for them).

T-

42 Regular
    The new Strokes

Hail to the Thief, The Bends

Tommy (remaster)

Highway 61 Revisited (also a remaster)

The Royal Scam (it's remaster-licious)

A Farewell to Kings (remaster rides again)

Slosh's year-end thingy

5 discs worth of iTunes downloads (this is a fad I will tire of quickly, someday; that day has yet to arrive, tho)
    Last edited by Mr MidFi; 11-25-2003 at 03:01 PM.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Buncha crap

That UK album is totally cool 70s synth-prog.

The Keneally album is a monster.

That Tony Levin disc is amazing 21st century fusion.

Lotsa great crap in that jpg.

New this week at the Clark house

Mile Davis-Kinda Blue (library) One of the many (I'm sure) remasters. Out of all the jazz discs I've listened to at this point, this one is far and away the best. It's not like I'm going to turn into an affecionado but I can see why some people would really enjoy this.

Miss Kittin-Radio Caroline vol.1. Not what I was expecting at all. this is a comp of the music she enjoys with some occasional narrative. Not at all the hard driving electroclash experience I was anticipating. Very good collection of songs, not quite ambient, some very trancey. Good electronica overall.

Richard X Presents His X-Factor vol1. Like many of the similar albums I've bought this year it's widely varied. I prefer the clashy numbers which accounts for about a third of the CD. The rest are what I would call pure dance numbers but for the most part I tend to enjoy this more than say what BT would do. The music seems better overall, probably just due to heavier, more intense synth action.

Jar's "Attack Electronics" comp. Thank you very much Jar, this is a lot of fun to listen to. I appreciate your sending it.

and of course many asst.cd's pulled off the shelf.

Here's to a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    A good week of tunes, all in all.

CeeDees

The Last DJ - TP and the Heartbreakers
    Gone to Earth - David Sylvian
    Big Fine Thing - Darlahood
    So It's Like That - Joe Bonamassa
    Best of... - Sea Level
    Daylight - Duncan Sheik
    Group Therapy - Concrete Blonde
    Dig - Boz Scaggs
    Mercy - Steve Jones
    Yes - Morphine (anybody else recognize Morphine's "Buena" as background for a Nissan truck commercial?)

Comps

Oso Special - Goose Creek Symphony (tentoze). A nice trip through the foggy past.
    Things of the Past - Jack70. A nicely sequenced collection of melodic power pop.
    Real Roots Rock + Roll - Jack70 (about half so far). Superb collection of Western Swing.
    My own Blues Deluxe (#19, 20, 21) and Pop Synthabilities (#5)

-Chip
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

AR Newbie Registered Member Ed TBPO's Avatar
    Circling down for a while. Since I don't have album names anywhere...

Autechre
    Orbital
    Rush
    Lisa Loeb
    The Shazam
    The Maggies
    The Semantics
    Dysrhythmia
    Porcupine Tree
    XTC
    The Stereo
    Blue Cartoon
    Copperpot
    and. of course. Anglagard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    Yes - Morphine (anybody else recognize Morphine's "Buena" as background for a Nissan truck commercial?)

-Chip

yea.. heard it too.. that's one of the coolest songs ever. That's a band I regret never catching live.

-jar-
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    yea.. heard it too.. that's one of the coolest songs ever. That's a band I regret never catching live.

-jar-
    I love that tune! I included it on my 'Winter Fades' comp from a few years ago and I think it fits perfectly.

I've been listening to Mark Sandman since the first Treat Her Right LP and especially like 'Picture of the Future' and 'Hank'. Sad to say I never caught THR or Morphine live either.
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Forum Regular

Walton's 1st Symphony

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Love that Walton 1st, it's been a few years since I've spun it. I have the Telarc recording with Andre Previn & the Royal Philharmonic.. they also do wonderful versions of the Crown Imperial and Orb & Sceptre marches.. the Orb & Sceptre is one of my favorite orchestral pieces ever, it's almost jazzy in parts, and those Telarc bass drums just shake the room.. I once heard this disc demonstrated in one of the Telarc mixing rooms.. pretty amazing.
    The first movement is quite spectacular, isn't it? ---although I imagine the Telarc recording has a bigger bass drum!

Not much to report, but here's what's what,

The Czars - Before...But Longer and The Ugly People Vs. the Beautiful People - Good stuff!

CKY - Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild - I like this album, especially "Escape from Hellview". I guess these guys are a skate band, but this album is pretty much straight-up heavy metal.

AFI - Sing the Sorrow - Love this album so far. It has some hard-core moments, but there's also some melody, plus I'm a sucker for a Butch Vig production.

John

Thread Information