Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My one recommendation at the moment (and I've been pushing this to friends in the UK) is Soniadada 'Barefoot Soul' (www.soniadada.com).

I know very little about the group but heard the song 'Angel' on a flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong. I couldn't find the album in the UK so eventually got a friend to buy it on a trip to the States.

I assume they're American but I'm not sure how popular they are over there.
    Gav_2000

Still Rocking to....&DVDs

I'm still listening to that boxed set by a group called Nirvana.

Been viewing DVDs, mostly; light music week other than the Nirvana.

BTW.,

Anyone here know what the quality of DVD-9 dvds is like?? They are from overseas and they have some chinese characters on the boxes. I just bought "Ray" and was blown away by both the movie and the quality.

Unfortunately, I steered away from any other titles because of their unfamiliar cases/packaging. The price was right..........$8 cndn..

Pls., anyone know anything about these??

Thnks,
    Bill

Hey Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Wow, a "local". I'm just over the hill(s) from you in Stockton. Glad you chimed in.

I haven't been to Scruz in a while- I used to go all the time when Streetlight had the real cheap CDs under the racks of regular-priced discs. I know, they still have them, but not like they used to.

Where do you CD shop in SC? Any other stores I should know about?

Thanks,

fp

Edit: Oops- this post is aimed at Mysterio...
    Well, that's the first time I've been called a "local" here in the Cruz! I have been here since '98, but I don't know if I'll ever feel like a local. I'm sure you know what I mean...

Unfortunately, all of those that I mentioned were purchased last weekend at Streetlight. Though I love most all things in Santa Cruz, I am most disappointed by the lack of a quality music store selection. I don't even bother with those underneath racks generally, because it's too much of a pain in the ass to search and search randomly while you crouch on the dirty floor underneath someone's crotch.

I do try and temper my spending by only buying used and under $10. That's hard to do when my list grows each week after reading this thread! I've currently got 3 post it notes' worth in my wallet of stuff to search for.

I really need to make a trip to the city and Amoeba sometime soon.

But, it's fun to find those jewels.

Thanks,
    Mysterio
    "I found a fatal flaw
    in the logic of love,
    and went out of my head..."

Wink Thanks & Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio
    I never post on the Tunesday thread (or most any others for that matter), but I felt compelled this week to contribute b/c of ForeverAutumn's pleading...

I wanted to thank everyone for all of the great recommendations. I always read the thread, and I have discovered bands I would have never found were it not for Stone, Davey, Troy, Ex Lion Tamer, Slosh, tentoze, ForeverAutumn, Jim Clark, Finchy, audiobill, Dusty Chalk, mad rhetoric, Swish, Jar, etc, etc, etc. A big shout out to you all!!! Forgive me if I didn't mention your name.

Now, enough gushing...

Keep up the good work!
    Mysterio
    Hey, Mysterio.

Thanks for the post!
    It's great to see that you, too, are raving about that Pinback album.
    I definitely need to get my ears on that one.

Welcome to the board,
    Bill aka audiobill

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Talking I'm so bad!

Mysterio...I couldn't help but make the following edit to your post. Please forgive me as I know this is not very ladylike, but I just have no self control when it comes to things like this. Welcome to RR!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio
    it's too much of a pain in the ass to search and search randomly while you crouch on the dirty floor underneath someone's crotch.

But, it's fun to find those jewels.

Thumbs up Ah, ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Mysterio...I couldn't help but make the following edit to your post. Please forgive me as I know this is not very ladylike, but I just have no self control when it comes to things like this. Welcome to RR!
    Very clever!

I would just like to say that I was going to comment on my own ramblings there, but I thought it ungentlemanly. Now I'm afraid I've left myself open for this jab.

For the record, those aren't the crotches I generally like to be under (not that there's anything wrong with that). Nuff said.

Thanks for the welcome as well, though I've been reading RR in the shadows for over 5 years.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
    M
    "I found a fatal flaw
    in the logic of love,
    and went out of my head..."

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Hey Javier! I am really craving some latin music lately. (Spanish language only please.)

Can you tell me more about Wolleinveider and Delgadillo? I'm really intrigued by the first one. Isn't that a German name? And its hard to tell from the title if its in English, Spanish or both?

Thanks,

Snowie

(Any other recs would be appreciated. I like guitar, "modern" mariachi sounds and "indie" styles.)
    Uh, Volleinweider is a new age artist from switzerland, main instrument is electroacoustic harp, he will throw anithing into the mix, from world to jazz to prog rock to classical but anythingh to do with latin trova.
    On the other part Fernando Delgadillo is a singer/songwriter from Mexico ( DF) with superb guitar playing with great lirics ranging from love to political views and some goofy ones his musical style take from many parts from real trova to England folk ( actually in his first album he takes a tune from the straws) and some jazzy tunes.
    I ll recommend to you con cierto aire a ti ( something like " it resembles you) and entre pairos y derivas ( something like between tide and calm).
    If you like somethingh more pop/rock oriented give a try to Julieta Venegas.

Just getting settled after moving a couple of weeks ago; the stereo's not set up yet. Yet while I haven't really listened to anything new (I do have a disc by a Brit band called the 22-20s I'll be giving a spin to), I've listened to more stuff in the past couple of weeks than, it seems, in the previous couple of months. On the computer. Musicmatch Jukebox dropped a turd of an upgrade some weeks back that's had me, well, not too happy, but they just came through with an update that took care of some serious flaws in the 'playlist' department. I've been spending long hours setting up albums as playlists, and I'm finally starting to get more comfortable with the idea of computer-as-stereo than I had been previously. In the past I really didn't have the power or speed to do this right, but now that I do, I guess I'm not looking back. Here's my list...

New Beck
    The Smiths—Hatful Of Hollow
    Magic Sam—West Side Soul
    Bebel Gilberto—Tanto Tempo & Bebel Gilberto
    Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros--Streetcore
    Jack 70s Western Swing comp
    Green Day—American Idiot
    Madeleine Peyroux—Careless Love
    Tom Waits—Swordfishtrombones
    Cinemaphonic Soul Punch
    Count Basie w/Quincy Jones—Lil’ Ol’ Groovemaker…Basie!
    Woman On Top—Soundtrack (bossa nova)
    Putumayo Presents Sahara Lounge
    Dinah Washington—excerpts from Mercury’s Blues ‘N’ Rhythm 1945-1955 box set
    Supergrass—Life On Other Planets
    Jimmy Smith—Home Cookin’ (first thing I reached for when I read of his passing)
    The Aviator—Soundtrack
    The Libertines
    Bob Marley—Natty Dread
    Jet—Get Born
    Best Of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds & Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus
    Rolling Stones—Hot Rocks
    English Beat—I Just Can’t Stop It!
    VU/Lou Reed Primer comp
    Fela Kuti—Koola Lobitos
    NRBQ At Yankee Stadium
    Nick Lowe—Labour Of Lust
    Stray Cats—Rumble In Brixton DVD