Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Blu ray is doing well even during the slow season

Generally year to year the period between the 1st and 2nd quarters of the year disc sales slow after the holiday season. This year was not any different for DVD, but Blu ray sales have bucked the trend this year. While over 300 million disc where sold in the last two months of last year, disc sales were also up for the first two months of this year, holding a steady pace equal to the before holiday sales. What is astonishing is the Blu ray market share of some of the biggest titles released this year. Star Trek had a whopping 73% share of the entire disc sales for this title coming from Blu ray. Up was 55% of the entire disc sales coming from Blu ray. Night at the Museum 2 had 68% of the entire disc sales coming from Blu ray, and Inglourious Basterds had 52% of the entire disc sales coming from Blu ray. Blu ray disc sales for the first two months of this year are up 76% over last year at this time. There is no doubt in my mind that Blu ray is no longer a niche product.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4245
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Those are very surprising numbers for the Blu-ray share of total sales, given that the biggest percentages I'd seen before the holidays were still in the high-30% range. Also, the Nielson Videoscan YTD Blu-ray market split was still below 20% for the overall market, as of January.

This seems to indicate that at least for the big blockbuster movies, Blu-ray has made huge inroads. No doubt this trend benefited from the big disc price reductions on those new release titles during November and December, and the brisk sales of Blu-ray players and HDTVs during the holiday season. I have noticed that BD prices on new releases have gone back up for many titles, but you also have a larger selection of older catalog titles with reduced pricing.

Also, I think that the BD-DVD-Digital Copy combo packs have had at least some market impact. I see that with Disney titles, the digital copy codes can now be used to also access those titles online. Very smart approach.

I agree that Blu-ray is no longer a niche product, and that has been the case for probably more than a year. I think the big picture question now is how much longer the DVD format will remain viable.

My understanding is that sales of Blu-ray players surpassed those of DVD players almost a year ago. Now, you have higher end manufacturers like Oppo and Denon phasing out their DVD players. With Blu-ray price points on course to dip below $100 by the end of the year, mainline manufacturers will have little reason to continue making standalone DVD players once the price points get that close.

With the DVD format, the hardware sales for DVD players surpassed VCRs about two years before the DVD sales surpassed VHS tapes. And once that happened, it took about three years before the studios discontinued VHS releases. Understanding that the VHS and DVD pricing structures were completely different, and the situation with Blu-ray differs because BD players can also play DVDs, it would seem that the DVD format has about 4 or 5 years of viability left, if past trends serve as an accurate indicator.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    I bet DVDs are here to stay - they're cheap to make, they're cheap to buy, and there's hundreds of thousands of films available in this format. DVD players however might become obsolete, but since Blue Ray spinners can play DVDs, the both formats will be just as widespread. I think it's quite logical, really..

Quote Originally Posted by klif570
    I bet DVDs are here to stay - they're cheap to make, they're cheap to buy, and there's hundreds of thousands of films available in this format. DVD players however might become obsolete, but since Blue Ray spinners can play DVDs, the both formats will be just as widespread. I think it's quite logical, really..
    I wouldn't bet on that. The key here is the year-to-year growth of the Blu-ray format, which has been about doubling every year. Studios and retailers alike do not like dual inventories. Once the DVD format reached majority status in 2003 (roughly two years after DVD player sales surpassed VCR sales), VHS got phased out very quickly even though more consumers at that point owned VCRs than DVD players. It was a forced migration, and the studios and retailers wanted that because there's little money to be made for anybody in supporting a rapidly declining format. I see a similar scenario playing out for the DVD format.

Those "hundreds of thousands of films available" (actual number is around 110,000) are the exact reason why the DVD will get phased out at some point. Consumers who want them have already bought them, which effectively caps the market demand for catalog titles on DVD, leaving new releases as the primary market. Yet for new releases, the trend has moved decidedly towards Blu-ray, and catalog titles are now the fastest growing segment for Blu-ray sales. The cut rate prices you see on DVD catalog titles are more a sign of weakening market demand than anything.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I wouldn't bet on that. The key here is the year-to-year growth of the Blu-ray format, which has been about doubling every year. Studios and retailers alike do not like dual inventories. Once the DVD format reached majority status in 2003 (roughly two years after DVD player sales surpassed VCR sales), VHS got phased out very quickly even though more consumers at that point owned VCRs than DVD players. It was a forced migration, and the studios and retailers wanted that because there's little money to be made for anybody in supporting a rapidly declining format. I see a similar scenario playing out for the DVD format.

Those "hundreds of thousands of films available" (actual number is around 110,000) are the exact reason why the DVD will get phased out at some point. Consumers who want them have already bought them, which effectively caps the market demand for catalog titles on DVD, leaving new releases as the primary market. Yet for new releases, the trend has moved decidedly towards Blu-ray, and catalog titles are now the fastest growing segment for Blu-ray sales. The cut rate prices you see on DVD catalog titles are more a sign of weakening market demand than anything.
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think VHS and DVD is a fair comparison. VHS is not even a disc, it's inconvenient to use, it's bulky, it's unattractive. DVD and Blu Ray are exactly the same apart from Blu Ray being higher quality. I see it more like SACD vs CD

Forum Regular
    By the way, has anyone heard of 5D DVD?

From wiki - "The 5D DVD, being developed in the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia, uses a multilaser system to encode and read data on multiple layers. Disc capacities are estimated at up to 10 terabytes, and the technology could be commercially ready within ten years."

Looks like this war's never gonna end..

I see what you're saying, but I don't think VHS and DVD is a fair comparison. VHS is not even a disc, it's inconvenient to use, it's bulky, it's unattractive. DVD and Blu Ray are exactly the same apart from Blu Ray being higher quality. I see it more like SACD vs CD
    Its not the disc, its the format that Wooch is commenting on. VHS was bulky, but people found a way to store them. When DVD came, THEN the hassle of storage became an issue when compared to those thin disc. Now DVD has matured, sales are slowing, nobody is making much money from it, and it is not secure, so it is a persistant target for piracy. Everyone wants it to go away, the studios, the retailers, and the manufacturers.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

By the way, has anyone heard of 5D DVD?

From wiki - "The 5D DVD, being developed in the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia, uses a multilaser system to encode and read data on multiple layers. Disc capacities are estimated at up to 10 terabytes, and the technology could be commercially ready within ten years."

Looks like this war's never gonna end..
    Then there is holodisc and several other high capacity disc technologies out there. Fugetaboutit! The Blu ray disc is the last movie on disc we will see. When the broadband community gets their act together, digital downloads will be the next step. However, Blu ray still has tons of life in it, and other uses as well.

The only way a new disc technology gets released to the market is when the studios approve of it. Nobody is talking about Blu ray's replacement in Hollywood. But we are preparing for a digital eco system that allows you to watch a movie on any display device, mobile or stationary, whenever you want.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Its not the disc, its the format that Wooch is commenting on.
    Exactly my point - DVDs are discs, VHS are cassettes - two totally different mediums being compated. Of course no one wanted VHS when people could have the convenience of watching DVDs.

Now, DVDs and Blu-ray are exactly the same apart from quality.

If you like, Video CD and DVD is a much fairer comparison.

Of course DVDs will come to an end at one point, but not the same way VHS did.

Exactly my point - DVDs are discs, VHS are cassettes - two totally different mediums being compated. Of course no one wanted VHS when people could have the convenience of watching DVDs.

Now, DVDs and Blu-ray are exactly the same apart from quality.

If you like, Video CD and DVD is a much fairer comparison.

Of course DVDs will come to an end at one point, but not the same way VHS did.
    There is a long history of product introduction, and product sunset that supports the notion that DVD will disappear just like VHS did. First it starts with a newer better product being introduced. Then there is a period of co-existence where the new and the old get the same support. After a time, you see the extra content dropped from the older product as sales slide downwards, and the new product sales trend upward. Then the manufacturing support for the older product dries up as profits slide, and eventually the product is dropped. We already have two manufacturers who have or will stop making DVD players. We are already seeing extra content on Blu ray not found on DVD. All consumer product introduced in the last 40 years has undergone this type of lifespan. Cassettes to CD, VHS and Laserdisc to DVD, and now DVD to Blu ray.

VHS and DVD are both carriers of movies even if the technology was different. Whether it was on tape, or on a disc, they both carried movies to your house. They are both video formats, so it is quite a apple to apples comparison.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    There is a long history of product introduction, and product sunset that supports the notion that DVD will disappear just like VHS did. First it starts with a newer better product being introduced. Then there is a period of co-existence where the new and the old get the same support. After a time, you see the extra content dropped from the older product as sales slide downwards, and the new product sales trend upward. Then the manufacturing support for the older product dries up as profits slide, and eventually the product is dropped. We already have two manufacturers who have or will stop making DVD players. We are already seeing extra content on Blu ray not found on DVD. All consumer product introduced in the last 40 years has undergone this type of lifespan. Cassettes to CD, VHS and Laserdisc to DVD, and now DVD to Blu ray.
    In short, it'll get replaced by the new technology, like everything else. When the time comes.

VHS and DVD are both carriers of movies even if the technology was different. Whether it was on tape, or on a disc, they both carried movies to your house. They are both video formats, so it is quite a apple to apples comparison.
    As for this, they are both ''apples'' if you can't tell the difference between VHS and DVD.

The main reasons people upgraded from VHS are 1. size 2. ease of use 3 much better quality.

Now let's compare DVDs vs Blu Ray ones again:

1. They are exactly the same in (physical) size.

2. They are equally easy to use...oh wait, Blu Ray can't be coppied and they take longer to load, Blu Ray laser life is even shorter than that of DVD, CD playback is rubbish too ..but let's still say they are the same.

3. And finally, the only advantage Blu Ray has over DVD is higher quality, which is only noticeably better if your screen size is 30-32in and above. Now then, there millions of people who don't have big screens, millions who don't have upscaling TVs yet, let alone 50inch plasmas. Will they buy Blu Ray? Or would they be happy with 1080i/1080p?

I think they would be, but they will be forced to buy Blu Ray if a particular film is only available in the new format. And since many companies have invested so much in the new design they will be pushing their new product further.

The way I see it is that Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc are happy with their new product; film companies are happy because of the advanced copy protection, and consumers are happy because they have the latest toy on the market and can laugh at those unfortunate ones who are still using DVDs. But what about people who don't want to, or have no reason to upgrade?

Klif570, you are making the same argument as I did in this thread (post # 53) couple of months back:

DVDis dead!

I think we all agree that DVD will eventually be phased out. The sticky point seem to be the time frame this will happen. I agree with you that Blu and DVD will coexist toghether at least in the short run, and looking at sale price of discs from each format point to that direction.

For example, Bestbuy and Walmart now reguraly have Bluray discs on sale for $10 and DVD for $5 where DVD cover titles that are not yet available on Bluray.

Don't get overly fixated on the physical form factor. The similarity between the VHS/DVD and DVD/Blu-ray coexistence is that both situations require retailers, studios, rental outlets, mail order sites, etc. to maintain dual inventories. In these cases, the newer format is more lucrative because 1) consumers are willing to pay more for the improvements; and 2) the newer format can draw revenues from sales of catalog titles, whereas the older format increasingly relies solely on new releases.

If anything, VHS's pricing structure (which featured a two-tiered rental pricing and sell-through pricing window, along with revenue sharing agreements with the major rental chains) protected the format even with rapidly declining demand.

The DVD is now a devalued format with lower margins because consumers simply will not pay as much as they used to for a DVD. A devalued format can still justify staying in print if it can maintain a high enough volume to make up for the reduced margins, but DVD sales have been declining.

The SACD analogy does not apply because:
    1) SACDs never had day-and-date releases like you see with Blu-ray
    2) SACD was supported by less than half of the major record labels, whereas Blu-ray is now supported by all of the major movie studios
    3) SACD was supported by only a handful of the major consumer electronics manufacturers, whereas nearly all of the major manufacturers have put out a Blu-ray player
    4) Blu-ray's market share is way higher than SACD ever had

The market conditions for Blu-ray are way different.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

As for this, they are both ''apples'' if you can't tell the difference between VHS and DVD.

The main reasons people upgraded from VHS are 1. size 2. ease of use 3 much better quality.
    People also upgraded because VHS was subsidized by a two-tiered pricing structure that generated far more revenue per copy. The DVD used a variation of the old Laserdisc pricing structure, which was designed for sell-through. Once the DVD prices began dipping below $30, the market fundamentally shifted because VHS tapes typically carried list prices of ~$80 to $100 during the initial release window.

Now let's compare DVDs vs Blu Ray ones again:

1. They are exactly the same in (physical) size.

2. They are equally easy to use...oh wait, Blu Ray can't be coppied and they take longer to load, Blu Ray laser life is even shorter than that of DVD, CD playback is rubbish too ..but let's still say they are the same.

3. And finally, the only advantage Blu Ray has over DVD is higher quality, which is only noticeably better if your screen size is 30-32in and above. Now then, there millions of people who don't have big screens, millions who don't have upscaling TVs yet, let alone 50inch plasmas. Will they buy Blu Ray? Or would they be happy with 1080i/1080p?
    The point that you're ignoring is that VHS got phased out when there were still more VCRs than DVD players installed. The studios and retailers will follow the where the demand and the revenue potential are going. Right now, those trends are decidedly shifting towards Blu-ray.

You can point out reasons why Blu-ray is not worth the upgrade, but if the market trends continue in the direction that they have gone, none of them will matter. Also, you points in #2 are issues that have nothing to do with the format itself (i.e., loading times will vary by model and also depend on how the disc was authored, CD playback has nothing to do with the Blu-ray format, etc.).

We're probably less than two years away, if not one year away, from Blu-ray players reaching price parity with DVD players. At that point, anyone buying a video player will be buying Blu-ray. We're already at a point where the average TV screen sizes have gone above 40" and nearly all of the TVs now sold are HD. Household penetration of HDTV is now above 60% and is on track to reach 80% sometime next year.

I think they would be, but they will be forced to buy Blu Ray if a particular film is only available in the new format. And since many companies have invested so much in the new design they will be pushing their new product further.
    And that's exactly the same thing that happened to VHS once the DVD took over the market lead.

The way I see it is that Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc are happy with their new product; film companies are happy because of the advanced copy protection, and consumers are happy because they have the latest toy on the market and can laugh at those unfortunate ones who are still using DVDs. But what about people who don't want to, or have no reason to upgrade?
    This is how the consumer electronics market has always functioned. They are constantly in a race to develop new devices that consumers want, before their older formats become commodified low margin products. And the studios are always looking for new markets to resell their catalog titles.

Retailers, manufacturers, and content providers have no obligation to indefinitely support formats that consumers have largely abandoned, and are more apt to finding reasons to pull the plug. It has nothing to do with laughing at the "unfortunate ones" still using an older format. By the time the DVD or any format reaches minority status, the successor is no longer some "latest toy" -- it's now the standard. And as with any standard, you can choose to go along with it, or make do with what you have.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 03-06-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Klif570, you are making the same argument as I did in this thread (post # 53) couple of months back:

DVDis dead!

I think we all agree that DVD will eventually be phased out. The sticky point seem to be the time frame this will happen. I agree with you that Blu and DVD will coexist toghether at least in the short run, and looking at sale price of discs from each format point to that direction.

For example, Bestbuy and Walmart now reguraly have Bluray discs on sale for $10 and DVD for $5 where DVD cover titles that are not yet available on Bluray.
    Thanks for the link, Smokey. Nice to see someone on the same brain-wave length.

Perhaps there is a wider selection of Blu Ray discs in the US, but when I go and check local stores in the UK, I see one shelf of Blu Ray discs and the whole aisle of DVDs.. and if I want a particular film, it's somehow magically been released on DVD and not Blu Ray.

I'm more than happy with the DVD quality, which upscaled to 1080p on a normal size display look nearly identical, but yes, at one point people will have to upgrade anyway. Hollywood never has been happier with the new Blu Ray copy protection and the major companies like Sony have found something new to sell.

Forum Regular
    Also, you points in #2 are issues that have nothing to do with the format itself (i.e., loading times will vary by model and also depend on how the disc was authored, CD playback has nothing to do with the Blu-ray format, etc.).
    No, not the format itself, but I was saying that Blu Ray players are still inferior to many DVD players. But I can excuse this since Blu Ray is a new technology.

We're already at a point where the average TV screen sizes have gone above 40" and nearly all of the TVs now sold are HD. Household penetration of HDTV is now above 60% and is on track to reach 80% sometime next year.
    Most TVs are HD, yes, but the average size being above 40"? Okay.. whoever did this survey is either far from reality or simply ignored the middle and lower class.

No, not the format itself, but I was saying that Blu Ray players are still inferior to many DVD players. But I can excuse this since Blu Ray is a new technology.
    Sorry man, but this is incorrect upon closer look. There is no DVD player that has the capacity to pass 60 mbps worth of video information, and 20 mbps for audio...ZERO. Every Blu ray player must be able to do that, from the most expensive, to the cheapo players. There are ZERO DVD players out there that can pass 8 channels of 24/192khz audio, but every Blu ray player must from the top of the line, down to the cheapo model must be able to, it is part of the specification for Blu ray.

Most TVs are HD, yes, but the average size being above 40"? Okay.. whoever did this survey is either far from reality or simply ignored the middle and lower class.
    He is right when it comes to America. In the UK and pretty much all of Europe, the average screen sizes are from between 30-42". Here is the US, the average screen sizes where the most sales are stand from 40-55", with the top creeping to 60" in some cases. The smallest set in my house is 52", and the largest is a projection screen of 130". All of my displays are between these sizes. My best friend who almost never watches television has a 52" set. Everyone I know here has at least a 42" model. Just by looking in your audio and video magazines, it is apparent that screen sizes in Europe that are hot sellers are far smaller than the top selling models here.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks for the link, Smokey. Nice to see someone on the same brain-wave length.
    Smoke comes from a different perspective than Wooch and I. My pal does not have a Blu ray player yet(get on the ball Smoke!!!)

Perhaps there is a wider selection of Blu Ray discs in the US, but when I go and check local stores in the UK, I see one shelf of Blu Ray discs and the whole aisle of DVDs.. and if I want a particular film, it's somehow magically been released on DVD and not Blu Ray.
    There is a wider selection of titles here than in the UK and all of Europe. Japan even has a larger choice of titles than you guys do. Personally, I have never purchased a title at a brick and motar store, they are too expensive. I go to Amazon, which seems to have every title released in the Blu ray format.

I'm more than happy with the DVD quality, which upscaled to 1080p on a normal size display look nearly identical, but yes, at one point people will have to upgrade anyway. Hollywood never has been happier with the new Blu Ray copy protection and the major companies like Sony have found something new to sell.
    And don't forget, the consumer is now seeing resolution that is equal to projected 35mm film, and getting audio as close to the master as we have ever been. Everyone wins here, not just Sony and Hollywood.

As far as another disc replacing Blu ray...it ain't going to happen. No disc format for movies becomes successful anywhere without the blessing of the Hollywood studios. They own the content. I can tell you this right now, we are not going to another disc format ever. Down the line, it is digital delivery via the internet, but that is quite a few years down the road. It will take quite a few years for the infrastructure of the internet to get big enough to take the huge bandwidth demands of digital delivery. Another uptick in resolution is not too far away, and Blu ray can support that as well. That would be 4K video. There is already a Blu ray disc capable of being played in every Blu ray player in the field that is 100GB, more than enough capacity with AVC to encode to that resolution. After that, perhaps the internet will be ready for digital delivery. I can say this with much certainty, there is not going to be another new disc format after Blu ray. There is still to much exploration of the Blu ray capacity in respect to its specification to even think about it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Sorry man, but this is incorrect upon closer look. There is no DVD player that has the capacity to pass 60 mbps worth of video information, and 20 mbps for audio...ZERO. Every Blu ray player must be able to do that, from the most expensive, to the cheapo players. There are ZERO DVD players out there that can pass 8 channels of 24/192khz audio, but every Blu ray player must from the top of the line, down to the cheapo model must be able to, it is part of the specification for Blu ray.
    Haha, well obviously you can turn it round any way you like.. Blu-Ray players can play Blu Ray discs..wow! No one said they can't pass 60mbps.. what I said was that with poor loading times, poor CD quality playback, and may I add, firmware issues, they are inferior to DVD players. Simple

He is right when it comes to America. In the UK and pretty much all of Europe, the average screen sizes are from between 30-42". Here is the US, the average screen sizes where the most sales are stand from 40-55", with the top creeping to 60" in some cases. The smallest set in my house is 52", and the largest is a projection screen of 130". All of my displays are between these sizes. My best friend who almost never watches television has a 52" set. Everyone I know here has at least a 42" model. Just by looking in your audio and video magazines, it is apparent that screen sizes in Europe that are hot sellers are far smaller than the top selling models here.
    Probably does make sense when I take into account that around 15% people in the US are below povery line, they probably don't even have TVs. Most of the rest is the '' I'm better than you'' type and buy as large as they can.. even if they almost never use it..like your friend. Did you suggest he buys Blu Ray already?

Smoke comes from a different perspective than Wooch and I. My pal does not have a Blu ray player yet(get on the ball Smoke!!!)
    Exactly what a Blu Ray fanboy would say.

And don't forget, the consumer is now seeing resolution that is equal to projected 35mm film, and getting audio as close to the master as we have ever been. Everyone wins here, not just Sony and Hollywood.
    Sounds very good indeed. But I don't need to watch a TV show and see everyones pores on screen, thank you very much. I do agree however that sci-fi and live recordings are nice in the new format, which I won't be able to copy for my dear friends..ahhh.

I can tell you this right now, we are not going to another disc format ever.
    Another fanboy thing. Same what people said when DVDs came along..

Forum Regular
    So I just went to Amazon and checked Blu Ray content..nearly 7000 titles! Impressive. Then I checked DVDs (and that excludes DVD n Blu combos) - nearly 400.000 Doesn't look like DVDs are going anytime soon
    Last edited by klif570; 03-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.

I have to say, as long as DVDs are readily available and cheaper then BR, I don't see them going anytime soon. In my opinion, they will only go when they aren't available to the public anymore.

Haha, well obviously you can turn it round any way you like.. Blu-Ray players can play Blu Ray discs..wow! No one said they can't pass 60mbps.. what I said was that with poor loading times, poor CD quality playback, and may I add, firmware issues, they are inferior to DVD players. Simple
    Poor loading times are a thing of the past with the newer players, and Pioneer and my PS3 make damn good CD players as do many others, don't really know what you are talking about, but you are entitled to your opinion. Firmware upgrades were not possible with DVD, and I would rather have a firmware upgrade than having to replace the player because it didn't function correctly, or you could not add a feature to it. Secondly, the only firmware upgrades I have had to do over the last year was to add features to an already feature rich product. I knew quite a few DVD players that were unsuitable for CD playback as well. Seems to me you enjoy making mountain out of a molehill, anyone who has updated a computer knows a firmware upgrade is a piece of cake. I could probably train my dog to do it.

Probably does make sense when I take into account that around 15% people in the US are below povery line, they probably don't even have TVs. Most of the rest is the '' I'm better than you'' type and buy as large as they can.. even if they almost never use it..like your friend. Did you suggest he buys Blu Ray already?
    Nice. In your abundance of intelligence you managed to broadly(and inaccurately) describe many Americans character without meeting every American. This broad brush is almost as bad as saying folks that live in the UK do not know good food, or all have bad teeth. Neither of these kinds of comments describe all people in either country do they?

Many of us how have done well (and have worked damn hard) don't think we are better than anyone else. I personally am not defined by my job, salary, or the toys I have. I buy large screens because that is what I want, not because I want to be better than anyone else. My friend purchased his 52" television (and yes a PS3 as well) because it was a bargain, and because that is what he wanted, no matter how often he watches it. He has the right just as much as you do right?

According to the last records I have read from the Economic Research Council, 22% of you Brits are also below the poverty line as of the 2007/08 tally. I am not going to begin to say that they don't have televisions, just like you don't really know that those 15% of our poor don't have one. Assumption is an quick and easy way to make an a$$ out of yourself.

Exactly what a Blu Ray fanboy would say.
    Most intelligent folks have no use for name calling and insults. I think this little snip of words tell a lot about you.

Sounds very good indeed. But I don't need to watch a TV show and see everyones pores on screen, thank you very much. I do agree however that sci-fi and live recordings are nice in the new format, which I won't be able to copy for my dear friends..ahhh.
    I personally do not like to look at images that have been filtered and compressed to death, and then coated with generous doses of edge enhancement to attempt to sharpen what fuzzy mess is left after the filtering. I do not want to listen to lossy audio forever either, because that is the best the format can do. Limitations bug me, and DVD had a lot of them.

Sorry that your dear friends now have to actually buy what they watch. They may have to get a gym membership just to take the wallet out of their pockets and purchase a disc. Ahhhh to bad so sad.

Another fanboy thing. Same what people said when DVDs came along..
    I am afraid you are wrong about that. Before DVD even came along, we in Hollywood were already trying to get a HD on disc format off the ground. The Warner and Toshiba alliance beat us to the punch with DVD, so we knew there was going to be another disc format after DVD. In conversations I have had with various fellow executives in Hollywood, it is pretty much universally agreed that we will not be another disc format after this. This is why Disney(the studio I work for) created Keychest, and the remaining studio created the DECE, better known as the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem.

http://www.decellc.com/

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...-in-the-cloud/

No sir, I am afraid after Blu ray, we are done with the disc that is for sure. But while it is here, Hollywood intends are exploring the technology until there is nothing left to explore. As far as the DVD, well DVD players do not last forever. When they break and you go out to look for another player and discover there are Blu ray players that are just as cheap, and can play both DVD AND Blu ray disc, what do you think smart people will do? Over the Christmas holiday Blu ray players outsold DVD players here in the US, and while DVD sales are down 25% Blu ray sales are up 76%. Those of us who have been following consumer electronics for decades can really see the handwriting on the wall for DVD pretty easily. Those that love the taste of sand probably cannot see it very well.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

So I just went to Amazon and checked Blu Ray content..nearly 7000 titles! Impressive. Then I checked DVDs (and that excludes DVD n Blu combos) - nearly 400.000 Doesn't look like DVDs are going anytime soon
    While you are cherry picking your facts, I have some more for you. Naturally one format would have more titles than another when one is 13 years old and the other just barely four. Keep in mind wise one, there were far more titles on VHS than DVD four years after DVD hit, and VHS still died. I cannot tell you how many times I heard your line when DVD hit the market. People really do have short memories.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I have to say, as long as DVDs are readily available and cheaper then BR, I don't see them going anytime soon. In my opinion, they will only go when they aren't available to the public anymore.
    Commodity pricing always comes just before a format's death. VHS where cheaper than DVD's and were readily available, where is it now?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hey Terrence, my local surplus has a pile of factory refurbished Sharp Aquos BDP's for the magic $100. Please give me your thoughts on this. Break it down one time ese...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information