Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    So since you don't have a response, you resort to making animal noises? Lil't, this doesn't help you at all:

1. It's not even childish, it's animal-like. That's a new low for you.

2. It shows that when you can't argue your point you resort to petty behavior (something I've pointed out many times already)

3. It weakens the other arguments you put forth (as I've said before)

4. It makes the other posters wonder if this is how you'll ultimately respond to their posts in the end and thus stifles conversation (this is hardly what we need on this site)

5. It tarnishes your reputation (something I've warned you about as well).

6. It proves once again that you're a hypocrite (how many times will I have to point that out?)

I'm not going to resort to giving you negative marks, since that's what you would do (you certainly have taken that low road many times before). Look, you're only damaging yourself and your argument. All I'm asking is that you respond to the post. If not, then why are you here? Is it just to kill any meaningful discussion?
    Your not going to resort to giving negative marks, you just made six of them stupid. And I do not care what you think, how about that. Now take your sorry a$$ elsewhere and drop this. It is a waste of time, I do not have time to partake in your stupidity.

How many times must I say this?
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier
    I was talking about greenies. Unlike you I'm not going to resort to giving out negative ones.

Why don't you just answer the point? Is it because you don't have a response?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    What facts???? You made a statement with no factual support whatsover. Sure you can rent anyone of 60,000 DVD's, but the reality is even in rentals there are not 60,000 active titles, which makes your point is misleading(I see a trend here). So your MO is to throw up a bunch of numbers and pretend that is your facts. That is pretty ludicrous, and armed with the data it borders on foolishness.
    I can't rent them? They're not active titles? Aww, ignorance is a bliss.. Guess Lovefilm is a con site then, fooling approx. one million customers every year in 4 different countries. I suggest you sign up and find out yourself.

Man this thread says alot about you..and so does your username. Why don't you change it to ''Sir Terrence the Hypocrite''? That'd be more accurate
    Last edited by klif570; 03-11-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klif570
    I can't rent them? They're not active titles? Aww, ignorance is a bliss.. Guess Lovefilm is a con site then, fooling approx. one million customers every year in 4 different countries. I suggest you sign up and find out yourself.
    I didn't say you couldn't rent them, I said all 60,000 of the titles are not being actively rented, can you understand the difference? Well maybe not.....

Man this thread says alot about you..and so does your username. Why don't you change it to ''Sir Terrence the Hypocrite''? That'd be more accurate
    What do you know about accuracy, you cannot even understand basic English!

Now I see why you are defending DVD so vigorously. You are so freakin behind the AV technology curve, and have a mind so stuck in the past, you just cannot fathom anything beyond DVD. I call that acute shortsightedness.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I was talking about greenies. Unlike you I'm not going to resort to giving out negative ones.

Why don't you just answer the point? Is it because you don't have a response?
    I do not want your damn greenies. And until you can post links and verifiable facts, then I do not want to discuss or debate anything with you. Your opinions, gut feeling, and unverifiable secret support is of no interest to me. I want to see facts, figures and opinions supported by facts and figures, otherwise drop dead!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier
    You want facts & figures? How about your own words:

1. Didn't you say that piracy was a huge problem?

2. Didn't you say that the studios want to move away from DVD because it's been cracked? And didn't you say that BR is a lot harder to crack?

3. Doesn't logic then follow that pirates favor what they can crack?

Therefore DVD will be there as long as BR is not easily cracked. BR will never completely eliminate DVD because of that simple fact. And the reason this is so important is because BR only has a short window before digital content becomes the medium of choice for the general public. When that happens BR will remain only for the collectors and we may very well be making the same arguments we are here with DVD about its future, especially if by that time BR is easily cracked. And yes, that is especially ironic.

One more thing: all your assumptions are based on what you think you know about the American market for movie distribution. Every time someone, anyone, from across the pond challenges that reality, you get your panties in a bunch and you debase the whole conversation with insults and your holier-than-thou posturing. Maybe you ought to stop with the isolationist and insular talk - it's not only false, but highly insulting. In the end it really reflects poorly on the rest of us here. I sure hope the other posters from abroad don't think you represent the point of view of every other American.

Forum Regular
    I didn't say you couldn't rent them, I said all 60,000 of the titles are not being actively rented
    Fantastic stuff. I think if people didn't want DVDs and wanted more films in Blu Ray, it's the one site that would reflect this very well.

My mistake - they claim the number to be 65.000. And not only that, they advertise the number of the DVDs they have, not the number of Blu Ray. Blu Ray's there if you want it, but it's the number of DVDs that attracts most people. But maybe I am wrong, maybe one million people are keep renting 1000 discs in Blu Ray.

Now I see why you are defending DVD so vigorously. You are so freakin behind the AV technology curve, and have a mind so stuck in the past, you just cannot fathom anything beyond DVD. I call that acute shortsightedness.
    If that will put this nonsense to an end, let's say so. I am way behind technology and I love it. I love my DVDs and I'm even thinking of going back to Vinyl.
    Last edited by klif570; 03-11-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Regular
    I sure hope the other posters from abroad don't think you represent the point of view of every other American.
    No, I don't think he represents that. But indeed a good example how ignorant one can be.

Therefore DVD will be there as long as BR is not easily cracked. BR will never completely eliminate DVD because of that simple fact. And the reason this is so important is because BR only has a short window before digital content becomes the medium of choice for the general public. When that happens BR will remain only for the collectors and we may very well be making the same arguments we are here with DVD about its future, especially if by that time BR is easily cracked. And yes, that is especially ironic.
    Right, and video pirates are such a huge part of the buying public that the studios will want to keep DVD production going indefinitely to serve that market, even after Blu-ray sales surpass DVDs.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

You want facts & figures? How about your own words:

1. Didn't you say that piracy was a huge problem?

2. Didn't you say that the studios want to move away from DVD because it's been cracked? And didn't you say that BR is a lot harder to crack?

3. Doesn't logic then follow that pirates favor what they can crack?

One more thing: all your assumptions are based on what you think you know about the American market for movie distribution. Every time someone, anyone, from across the pond challenges that reality, you get your panties in a bunch and you debase the whole conversation with insults and your holier-than-thou posturing. Maybe you ought to stop with the isolationist and insular talk - it's not only false, but highly insulting. In the end it really reflects poorly on the rest of us here. I sure hope the other posters from abroad don't think you represent the point of view of every other American.
    Just more opinion.....I have heard it all before.

Here is one for you nighidiot. Why don't you stop trying to stifle the discussion with your uneducated, one sided, not ready for prime time, easily refuted and dismissed opinions. Why don't you stimulate the argument with facts(your own not mine) that are verifiable and links that support yours. If not, then there is nothing left to discuss. You and I have been around the merry go round enough for me to complete dismiss you as just another well......nothing.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Fantastic stuff. I think if people didn't want DVDs and wanted more films in Blu Ray, it's the one site that would reflect this very well.
    Is this the only site on the web that rents Blu ray and DVD's? I think not. Netflix, and Blockbuster also are rental sites and they have seen the rental business grow tremendously in their Blu ray side, and just modestly for the DVD side. The things that you cannot seem to get in your thick skull is that everything related to DVD is trending either flat or downward. That is the beginning of the end, just like simular condition existed when DVD began to overtake VHS. Since you neither have the official numbers like I have, and you have offered nothing that disputes what I have presented(except you own out of touch opinion) I think this part of the discussion is pretty much over.

My mistake - they claim the number to be 65.000. And not only that, they advertise the number of the DVDs they have, not the number of Blu Ray. Blu Ray's there if you want it, but it's the number of DVDs that attracts most people. But maybe I am wrong, maybe one million people are keep renting 1000 discs in Blu Ray.
    So what you are telling me is that every one of the 65,000 titles is being actively rented every day? Once again(and taps on that thick noggin) there are more titles on DVD because the format has been in existence for 13 years, and not for anything else but that. These are just number of availability, not numbers of active titles brightness. Next point is 1000 Blu ray titles means that is all they have had a chance to purchase, not reflective of the number of titles available. That would be about 6- 7000 if I am not mistaken.

It is quite possible with 20 million Blu ray players out there that 1 million people could have 1000 Blu ray titles active. Blu ray is still at the curiosity stage, not like DVD where renters have come to expect a certain quality through numerous exposure. Remember, this is a new format still, and the rental market is still young and not very mature.

A little critical thinking goes along way

If that will put this nonsense to an end, let's say so. I am way behind technology and I love it. I love my DVDs and I'm even thinking of going back to Vinyl.
    The fact that you admit this is also reflective of your knowledge on this issue. It is behind the times plain and simple.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 03-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

No, I don't think he represents that. But indeed a good example how ignorant I can be.
    This is a perfect statement(in bold) to say in the mirror 5 million times for mental reinforcement.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier
    lil't, if you won't discuss the points, then why did you start this thread? Are you just so full of yourself that you want to hear more of it? Or is it simply that I brought up something completely logical you can't wish or argue away? No matter how much you wine, each and every refusal to respond as well as every insult only weakens your position. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by nightflier; 03-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.

lil't, if you won't discuss the points, then why did you start this thread? Are you just so full of yourself that you want to hear more of it? Or is it simply that I brought up something completely logical you can't wish away?
    I don't mind discussing the points, just not with you.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier

Not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Right, and video pirates are such a huge part of the buying public that the studios will want to keep DVD production going indefinitely to serve that market, even after Blu-ray sales surpass DVDs.

The studio's control over production can only apply to new releases. Yes, we can probably agree with the studios making it so, but what about the back catalog? More to the point, if only new movies will be released exclusively on BR at some point in the future (hasn't happened yet), how long will that last before digital downloads surpass it? It seems to me that BR has only a very small time window to completely replace DVD, and that window is shrinking everyday. With the continued losses from piracy on the back catalog and any new releases still coming to DVD, BR could very well only have a very short lifespan as the leading source of movies. Let's not forget that DVD sales still dominate, especially world-wide.

nightflier

Or is it simply that...

I don't mind discussing the points, just not with you.
    ...you can't think of a good response at all?

The studio's control over production can only apply to new releases. Yes, we can probably agree with the studios making it so, but what about the back catalog? More to the point, if only new movies will be released exclusively on BR at some point in the future (hasn't happened yet), how long will that last before digital downloads surpass it? It seems to me that BR has only a very small time window to completely replace DVD, and that window is shrinking everyday. With the continued losses from piracy on the back catalog and any new releases still coming to DVD, BR could very well only have a very short lifespan as the leading source of movies. Let's not forget that DVD sales still dominate, especially world-wide.
    Your grasp of the market conditions is fleeting at best. As I've told you numerous times before, the new releases market represents the vast majority of the market. It's the new release window that generates by far the biggest share of revenues, and always has. The best selling videos have always been new releases, and there has always been a major dropoff in sales when they get reissued later on in a different format.

The back catalog has already been mined through numerous times, and the rate of return declines with every successive re-release (unless you add something new of value). What titles do you think are on all these movie streaming services? Basically, the same titles in the DVD clearance bins that hardly anyone buys anymore. Catalog titles generate revenue -- that's why the studios continue to issue them on Blu-ray. But, those revenues pale in comparison with what new releases generate.

The decades old techie pipe dream of digital distribution taking over the market is totally delusional until that market segment actually begins to outgrow Blu-ray. Last time I checked, Blu-ray's growth rate was 4X greater. The math for digital distribution won't even begin to compute until the growth rates switch places. Techies talk about this as if it's fait accompli, yet the actual sales trends indicate that the clock for the digital takeover hasn't even begun counting down yet.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier
    As usual, you're just looking at sales figures, which represent only a fraction of what's downloaded each and everyday. And let me guess, US data only? Let's take a more global view of this, shall we? Just because new releases generate the lion's share of revenue, this says hardly anything about what people are downloading or watching.

As usual, you're just looking at sales figures, which represent only a fraction of what's downloaded each and everyday. And let me guess, US data only? Let's take a more global view of this, shall we? Just because new releases generate the lion's share of revenue, this says hardly anything about what people are downloading or watching.
    Provide some actual concrete data to bolster your points, otherwise it's just mindless babbling on your part. As usual, you're trying to prop up the absurd contrarianism that consumer behavior and market trends bear no relationship to one another. And if you buy into the notion that each illegal download represents a lost sale, then you're basically in agreement with the argument that the RIAA uses in its lawsuits against downloaders.

I don't know why the point about the higher revenue potential for new releases is always so controversial to you. It holds true, no matter what global market you look at. A movie release will always generate the greatest revenues during its initial release, because that's simply when the audience interest peaks. Consumers are not as interested in catalog titles. That's why older titles migrate over to the $5 bins at Walmart -- because consumer interest has waned.

Why would this not be the case among video pirates as well? The old Napster music charts were always dominated by newer top selling mainstream releases, and the peer counts on torrent trackers also seem to peak with newer titles and drop way off with older titles.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Netflix, and Blockbuster also are rental sites and they have seen the rental business grow tremendously in their Blu ray side, and just modestly for the DVD side.
    Those two are American, and like Nightflier said you're only comparing American market, but if you take a map..well, you'll find there are other countries too!

So what you are telling me is that every one of the 65,000 titles is being actively rented every day? Once again(and taps on that thick noggin) there are more titles on DVD because the format has been in existence for 13 years, and not for anything else but that. These are just number of availability, not numbers of active titles brightness. Next point is 1000 Blu ray titles means that is all they have had a chance to purchase, not reflective of the number of titles available. That would be about 6- 7000 if I am not mistaken.

It is quite possible with 20 million Blu ray players out there that 1 million people could have 1000 Blu ray titles active. Blu ray is still at the curiosity stage, not like DVD where renters have come to expect a certain quality through numerous exposure. Remember, this is a new format still, and the rental market is still young and not very mature.
    To hell with your moronic logic. Can you then answer why Lovefilm advertises the number of dvds they have and not the number of Blu Ray? You can't! You either turn it round and start talking about other rentals, or feed us with statistics (haha).. Lovefilm shows the trend in Europe and if that hurts you, well I'm sorry, but DVDs are still popular here.
    Last edited by klif570; 03-12-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I don't know why the point about the higher revenue potential for new releases is always so controversial to you. It holds true, no matter what global market you look at. A movie release will always generate the greatest revenues during its initial release, because that's simply when the audience interest peaks. Consumers are not as interested in catalog titles. That's why older titles migrate over to the $5 bins at Walmart -- because consumer interest has waned.

Why would this not be the case among video pirates as well? The old Napster music charts were always dominated by newer top selling mainstream releases, and the peer counts on torrent trackers also seem to peak with newer titles and drop way off with older titles.
    So doesn't it mean that as long as there are people interested in older films (even a few years older for that matter), the DVDs will still be there? I'm not one who only buys new films, in fact I prefer older ones, classics as well. So people like me have tons of DVDs to choose from and only a small number in Blu Ray. And what's the point of watching a black and white in Blu Ray anyway?

Forum Regular
    Perhaps there is a wider selection of Blu Ray discs in the US, but when I go and check local stores in the UK, I see one shelf of Blu Ray discs and the whole aisle of DVDs.. and if I want a particular film, it's somehow magically been released on DVD and not Blu Ray.

Maybe you should look at amazon.com / amazon.co.uk more closely. Amazon UK actually has more blu-ray titles available (4500+ english) and in the US (around 3600 english).

It will save you a trip to the local brick & mortar at least.

So doesn't it mean that as long as there are people interested in older films (even a few years older for that matter), the DVDs will still be there? I'm not one who only buys new films, in fact I prefer older ones, classics as well. So people like me have tons of DVDs to choose from and only a small number in Blu Ray.
    DVDs will still be there because the studios produced thousands of copies that are still sitting on retail shelves and in warehouses, but that doesn't mean that they generate much interest or sales. As I pointed out earlier, those DVD bargain bins exist because these older titles won't sell unless the prices get slashed. Retail stores are not libraries where inventories sit forever, they are places of commerce where shelf space is expected to turn product placement into sales and do so in a timely manner. Things that sell get restocked, things that don't get discontinued and price-reduced for quick sale. Stores are rapidly expanding their Blu-ray sections because that's increasingly the more productive use of valuable shelf space.

Older titles routinely go out of print after their sales dip below a certain threshold. Just because ~110,000 R1 DVD titles have been released does not mean that all or even most of them are currently available. VHS had well over double that number of titles released, but that didn't stop stores from discontinuing them or studios from deleting them from their catalogs once it became clear that format's sales decline was terminal.

Complaints like yours also accompanied the DVD format during its early stages. It takes time for the back catalog to fill in. You're only looking at the current state of the title availability on Blu-ray, not where it will be next year or five years from now when the DVD format will likely be at an end.

And what's the point of watching a black and white in Blu Ray anyway?
    What's the point of HD? What's the point of watching an old B&W film on a big movie theater screen? What's the point of watching something on DVD when VHS was "good enough" (a common refrain on this board 10 years ago)?

Last time I checked, B&W movies were filmed and projected using 35mm film -- a medium whose resolution happens to be greater than even today's 1080p format. B&W cinematography can be every bit as compelling an art form as color (with many directors making B&W movies as an artistic choice even after the advent of Technicolor), so why would you not want Blu-ray for black and white movies?

Color or not, film is a high resolution medium and the DVD format does not even come close to capturing the detail that's in those 35mm negatives. Blu-ray picks up much of the fine grained details and does a much better job at conveying the look and feel of quality film projection. If you don't see the benefit of higher picture resolution, then you might as well stick with analog TV and DVDs.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Those two are American, and like Nightflier said you're only comparing American market, but if you take a map..well, you'll find there are other countries too!
    You are wrong again. You know, in American baseball you only get three strikes. You have enough strikes to put you out of the game forever. NDP reports cover worldwide rental markets, and world wide sales markets, not just the American market. No where on this planet is their 65,000 active rental titles. NO WHERE!!!

To hell with your moronic logic. Can you then answer why Lovefilm advertises the number of dvds they have and not the number of Blu Ray?
    Since I do not work in the marketing department of Lovefilm, I cannot answer that question only they can.

You can't! You either turn it round and start talking about other rentals, or feed us with statistics (haha).. Lovefilm shows the trend in Europe and if that hurts you, well I'm sorry, but DVDs are still popular here.
    Let's get one thing straight here. Europe is no trend setter when it comes to video technology. They are followers, which makes them consistantly behind the curve on everything video. DVD was firmly entrenched here in America before it got started in Europe. Its penetration in the US was about 35% before it was 5% in Europe. Blu ray does not upset that CE history.

Lovefilm does not show a trend in Europe, it shows a rental trend for Lovefilm as a business only. Everyone in Europe does not rent from Lovefilm do they? Lovefilm is in the business of renting DVD's, a market segment that is 10 years old in Europe(and 13 y/o in America). The only thing that your 65,000 titles number tells me is that they in 10 years or so have accumulated 65,000 titles for their customers to access, and that is all. With Blu ray being introduced much later than here, they have only managed to purchase 1000 Blu ray titles (out of 7000 released) since they have adopted the format for rental. Every rental concern in the world that is more than 10 years old will have the same condition. That is all these two numbers you point out tell me. Variety in the rental sector of this business is key to success. The Blu ray rental market there is far smaller than it is in America, and basically that is attributed to Blu ray catching on later than it has here. The DVD is in a faster decline here because America adopted it sooner and faster, and it is maturing as a format sooner than it is in Europe because of that same reason.

If you want to look at a trend, you analyze how many of those 65,000 titles is generating revenue for your business. According to NDP (which just so happens to cover rental activity of Lovefilm), they are only generating big revenue from new releases, moderate revenue from the top 100-300 previously released titles(those released within two to three years), and next to nothing from everything after that. For the brain challenged, that means that a great number of those 65,000 titles are not seeing much action at all, and are being recycled out of the inventory as new titles come online. That is how the rental market works.

Now pull up your chain uneducated one, you are about to go to school on how to identify a trend. Sales of DVD dropped 9% in Europe last year, 6% in 2008, and 5% in 2007. Sales of DVD players have dropped 6% last year, 4% in 2008, and were essentially flat in 2007. Put on your glasses so it helps you see a trend. DVD sales are falling year over year in your region(it dropped 13% here last year), and the year to year accumlated loss is 20% total shinkage of the market since 2007(its 25% here in the same period). DVD players have suffered a total year to year loss of 10% since 2007(it's 16% here). Year do not get year to year losses like this on a "popular" format, it happens to "mature" formats. DVD is in decline in your neck of the woods just like it is here, except it is more dramatic here because it was released earlier here, and grew faster here earlier. What is happening to DVD is called a downward trend.(for you nearly brain dead that do not like to think)

Blu ray disc sales Europe in 2009 grew 167% from 2008, which was close to 100% over 2007.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=26897

When you analyze both DVD and Blu ray three years after their respective release in your region, Blu ray has outsold DVD by five times over in that first three years.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/16390.cfm

What is happening to Blu ray here and there is called an upward trend (for you nearly brain dead that do not like to think). I hate to tell you something lightweight one, but stats are the ONLY way to define and recognize a trend, not just looking at some number without any further analysis. NDP compiles the most extensive sales and rental figures from ALL OVER THE WORLD for various appliances, cars and consumer electronic(and more). So when you make the lame claim that I am only looking at America, it makes me laugh my a$$ off. The data I am getting is WORLDWIDE data, not just American data.

Before you attempt to debate anyone on anything related to AV, you need a few more years of school. Any person who is still looking for a DVD, and dedicated CD player in a Blu ray world where all three can be played on the same machine is obviously so behind the curve they can easily be considered technologically retarded. This approach alone shows how backwards your thinking really is. And what seals that opinion is when you call Digital to analog converters decoders.

I think what upsets you is that while you are stuck at DVD, the rest of the world has moved on to Blu ray. And now you are here where the conversation is mostly focused on Blu ray still talking about DVD. You are a real fish out of water aren't you.

Oh, and by the way, a Denon 1704 is not a HD player by any means. Progressive scanning DVD players are not HD players, only Blu ray players are. A HDMI 1.1 equipt DVD player does not mean it is HD.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 03-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

And what's the point of watching a black and white in Blu Ray anyway?
    The point of watching black and white on Blu ray comes from the reality that it looks better on Blu ray than it ever will on DVD. Why? Because the video encoders used for Blu ray (AVC and to a lesser extent VC-1) are better at encoding and preserving the greyscale than older MPEG-2 encoders for DVD are. There is also no filtering of the high frequencies before encoding which preserves detail and fine detail like DVD has to do. There is no widespread use of edge enhancement on Blu ray like there are on DVD to cover up the fact the high frequency filtering has been used.

A little technical knowledge goes a long way.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp