Forum Regular

Help, i dony like my cd player, new CD player suggestions

I have a Yamaha cdd775 right now, and it has this very annoying signature to it, where it gives the bass this strange cave like sound. I cant really explain it, but its there. Its not a terrible cd player, and i like it better then the sony sacd/dvd player sound, well in the cd player region that is. It just has a warmer sound. But i am ready to upgrade and am wondering what might be some good choices for cheap prices.

I am also looking at a integrated amp, so maybe u can tell what a good cd player might match these amps. I am now running a NAD C350.

Amps looking at: Sugden a21a, Creek 4330, Musical Fidelity A2 or A220, Rega Brio or Mira.

The cd players I would like some imput on are the NAD C541i, Rega planet original (does anyone know what DAC this uses?), music hall cd25, or Arcam but not the alpa series i hate the look so much i wouldnt live with it. Something like the cd72 maybe? i duno, i wished i would have gotton the cd72 that was listing on a'gon for 200 bucks, what a steal!

I have also heard to try the $299 onix xcd-88, anyone heard this thing? seems to cheap to be true.
    So any information would be helpful, whether on cds or amps! Thanks!

why not use a digital connection from the cd player to your receiver? If the cd player has bad sound processing, your receiver will probably do better. Worth a try before you invest more money

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    why not use a digital connection from the cd player to your receiver? If the cd player has bad sound processing, your receiver will probably do better. Worth a try before you invest more money
    The NAD does not have a digital in

Forum Regular

Suggestion: Get a turntable and some LP's!

For CDP's, I found the original Rega Planet to have a horrible reverberation-type sound to it... possibly like your cave analogy. I didn't care for it at all. I do like the Music Hall player quite a lot. I hear it regularly in a friend's system. NAD players used to have some trouble navigating discs but that may have been fixed... check the reviews on this site.

As for amps the Sugden A21A is a great amp. The Rega Brio I found to be a little dark but remember, systems differ. But I don't think you can go wrong with the Sugden although it might be a little minimalist in features.

Thread Information