Forum Regular

Looking for new CD player...

Hi all. I'm looking to purchase a new CD player in the next month or so, and need some suggestions. Currently my 2-channel stereo is rather meager, consisting of a vintage Pioneer stereo receiver, Pioneer turntable (with new Grado blue cartridge...makes a huge difference), Paradigm Monitor 5 speakers, and a Sharp DVD player.
    Eventually I want to upgrade to perhaps an integrated preamp (or even a power amp and separate preamp), with separate tuner. First thing I want to do is upgrade from the DVD player to a dedicated CD player. It loads pretty slowly, and while I know the difference won't be huge, I assume a good CD player would result in some sound quality improvement.

Brands I'm looking at are Cambridge Audio and NAD...any suggestions on specific models or other options are appreciated. My budget is probably no more than $400, though I could stretch it a bit if necessary.

Thanks,
    Mason

Forum Regular

What about an SACD player?

That's what I intend to try. Many are available for $250 or less. It seems to be the way of the future. I'm looking into a Philips for about $120 new just to get my feet wet and see what I think. Some CD players run into many thousands of dollars and I'm sure they sound great but how many of us will buy one? You can spend as much as you want to on a CD player but I don't think it's really necessary to appreciate what the medium offers. The SACD players that I've seen also play DVD's, a feature that I don't need but if I don't like it as a CD player, I guess it can become an extra DVD player.
    Bill

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Why do you want to go back to a CDP?

Your experience may be different, but I bought a Toshiba DVD player, and found it to be a very credible CD player. It does not even take too long to load.

Laz

Forum Regular

Here's why...

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    Your experience may be different, but I bought a Toshiba DVD player, and found it to be a very credible CD player. It does not even take too long to load.

Laz
    This system is never going to be connected to a TV. I already have a HT system. This is going to be a strictly two channel system. I would rather get the best quality I can from a CD player, rather than settle for a DVD player.

Thanks,
    Mason

Thread Information