Utmostjamin1

Thinking about a CD player upgrade.

Well... the upgrade bug is starting to hit.... I am thinking about getting a newer model Cd Player something a bit more high end than what i have. my exsisting CD player is a Pioneer PDR-W839 with a 3 disc changer on the left and a burner on the right. Im looking to get something a bit more upscale.... I don't need a burner anymore since my computer has one. there is nothing wrong with the current sound of my CD player its specs are pretty good. the only issue is the 3 disc changer is quite clunky when changing discs and when i play a cd in the burner slot the CD will skip at high volume when the bass is thumping. Im looking at getting a really good single disc CD player. what are my options?
    im looking for ease of use, decent features great specs and must be black color. my budget is around $500-600 dollars. I thought about getting a dedicated SACD player but i only have one set of multichannel inputs. the current dvd player is great on DVDA but ive been told the SACD sound would be better with a dedicated SACD player. im not sure at this point. ive looked at models from Denon, Sony, and Onkyo for a good cd player but im not stuck on any one brand name if someone can point out a specific model that sounds phenomenal and has good specs on paper. (what specs should i look at?) my current model spes are: Playback S/N Ratio: 108 Db dynamic range: 98d: and channel seperation 98 Db ( I dont think thats bad)
    here is my current Equipment list:
    Onkyo TXSR-800 AV receiver
    ADCOM GFA-7807 7 channel amp
    Monster Power HTS-3500 Mk2 Power center
    Speakers: Klipsch RF7(front) RC-7(Center) RS-7 (Surround) RB-75 Back Surround
    2 Velodyne HGS-18 subs ( I Like Bass)
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player with SACD/DVDA playback

I guess one place to start is whether you listen using a digital connection or analog. If you're using a digital connection, then it doesn't much matter which CD player you get (as long as you don't go to WalMart) because the receiver is doing all the DAC processing. If you use analog connections then you want to consider what the differences in DAC qualities are between existing players in that price range. I myself am using one of those 300 disc changers from Sony, using the optical output. Sounds fine to me. Plus I like the fact that it reads CD Text and that you can input the titles of the CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    Well... the upgrade bug is starting to hit.... I am thinking about getting a newer model Cd Player something a bit more high end than what i have. my exsisting CD player is a Pioneer PDR-W839 with a 3 disc changer on the left and a burner on the right. Im looking to get something a bit more upscale.... I don't need a burner anymore since my computer has one. there is nothing wrong with the current sound of my CD player its specs are pretty good. the only issue is the 3 disc changer is quite clunky when changing discs and when i play a cd in the burner slot the CD will skip at high volume when the bass is thumping. Im looking at getting a really good single disc CD player. what are my options?
    im looking for ease of use, decent features great specs and must be black color. my budget is around $500-600 dollars. I thought about getting a dedicated SACD player but i only have one set of multichannel inputs. the current dvd player is great on DVDA but ive been told the SACD sound would be better with a dedicated SACD player. im not sure at this point. ive looked at models from Denon, Sony, and Onkyo for a good cd player but im not stuck on any one brand name if someone can point out a specific model that sounds phenomenal and has good specs on paper. (what specs should i look at?) my current model spes are: Playback S/N Ratio: 108 Db dynamic range: 98d: and channel seperation 98 Db ( I dont think thats bad)
    here is my current Equipment list:
    Onkyo TXSR-800 AV receiver
    ADCOM GFA-7807 7 channel amp
    Monster Power HTS-3500 Mk2 Power center
    Speakers: Klipsch RF7(front) RC-7(Center) RS-7 (Surround) RB-75 Back Surround
    2 Velodyne HGS-18 subs ( I Like Bass)
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player with SACD/DVDA playback

Forum Regular
    I can only speak from my latest experience and it has been very good to say the least. I wanted a better CD player and I bought the Arcam CD73. Highly recommended and reviewed. I have never been so pleased with an upgrade in my life.

Totally honest. I have only had the TV on for less than 3 minutes since I got the new machine 2 weeks ago today. That 3 minutes was only because my woman phoned and said to turn on the tube as something was on.

Wow I sure am enjoying my new CD collection. I would highly recommend a stand alone CD player as it has been a very good improvement for me.

Linear Guy

single disc player upgrade

I would recommend the Cambridge Audio 640C It has good specs but most importantly, I think you will notice a great improvement in soincs over your multi disc changer. I did. I had a Denon 380 which I thought was a pretty good player and when I upgraded my whole system the first thing to arrive was the Cambridge 640C. After I plugged it in I was so blown away by the sonic upgrade in terms of detail, almost complete lack of noise, response and musicality, I wanted to reconsider my other equipment purchases but it was already too late. No regreets now after 6 months.

An afullly good cheap CD player, I think. Have fun with your purchase.

Thread Information