Thread: DVD, or DVD+DAC

Forum Regular

DVD, or DVD+DAC

I have a Denon DCD-3520 CD player which I've been in love with it since I demo'd it. The time has come to buy another unit. The 3520 is going to the bedroom and I plan to buy a DVD player that can play CDs for the main system. Since the 3520 is the only CD player I've owned I have no point of reference for the new purchase.

The Denon has a 20 bit D to A converter (Burr-Brown?). I understand that things have changed a lot in the last 15 years. Will a new $300 DVD offer the same quality? Should I consider a DAC for similar performance?

I know I need to listen to the new stuff and yea, I know I probably have a built in bias after listening to the same system for 15 years. I'm just trying to gauge my old unit against the current stuff. Some things are now less expensive, some things are more. The Denon was about $1,700 when I bought it.

Thanks,
    Art

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo7
    I have a Denon DCD-3520 CD player which I've been in love with it since I demo'd it. The time has come to buy another unit. The 3520 is going to the bedroom and I plan to buy a DVD player that can play CDs for the main system. Since the 3520 is the only CD player I've owned I have no point of reference for the new purchase.

The Denon has a 20 bit D to A converter (Burr-Brown?). I understand that things have changed a lot in the last 15 years. Will a new $300 DVD offer the same quality? Should I consider a DAC for similar performance?

I know I need to listen to the new stuff and yea, I know I probably have a built in bias after listening to the same system for 15 years. I'm just trying to gauge my old unit against the current stuff. Some things are now less expensive, some things are more. The Denon was about $1,700 when I bought it.

Thanks,
    Art
    I do not know the quality of your DAC, so a USD300 DVD Player may well trash it, on a more general note, whilst the DAC technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years, The circuitry in front of/behind the DAC has not kept pace in terms of absolute sound quality and in many cheaper players it is the circuitry after the DAC or indeed before the DAC that limits performance.

Forum Regular
    The unit wieghs about 45 lbs. Don't know if that means anything quality-wise or not.

Thread Information