Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    Stereophile had the Radio Shack hook-up wire in their Recommended Components list for many years. They don't put grades on the cables because they are so subjective. They only provide reviews from their writers.

I still have my box of Radio Shack solid core hook-up wire. The insulation is plastic and the look of the copper did not instill confidence as to it's purity. The largest gauge in solid core was 16 gauge so it would be tough to compare with the 12 gauge AntiCables. My system is much nicer then when I experimented with the RS wires. I doubt if the RS wires, if memory serves, would create the positive improvement of the AntiCables. Again I think the quality and minimal grain structure of the better wire in the AC's is what helps them sound as good as they do.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    I've only used in amps and speaker internals but it would probably work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    I've only used in amps and speaker internals but it would probably work fine.

I am not sure what you are saying. What have you only used in amps and speaker internals?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Upset? As a child I loved reading "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Have you read anything good since?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have to say this cable is very neutral from top to bottom. There is no smearing of the bass. Midrange is pure without the usual mush from stranded cables. The highs are clear and extended without any tizziness or distortion.

I used to follow the AQ belief that 20 gauge is the cable that frequecies all travel at the same speed. I have owned several AQ cables that used multiple 20 gauge solid core conductors and I now say one solid 12 gauge conductor does the job much better.

Simpler is better.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

While enjoying the Anti's I began to be displeased with the DNM Resons I was using from the SA8001 to the Krell. Imaging was good but almost to good. More 2d cutout images. I replaced them with the AlphaCore Micropurls and all is well again. I am still using the AlphaCore TQ2 from phono preamp to the Krell. The AntiCables sure let you know what the rest of the system is up to and where problems may be.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    While enjoying the Anti's I began to be displeased with the DNM Resons I was using from the SA8001 to the Krell. Imaging was good but almost to good. More 2d cutout images. I replaced them with the AlphaCore Micropurls and all is well again. I am still using the AlphaCore TQ2 from phono preamp to the Krell. The AntiCables sure let you know what the rest of the system is up to and where problems may be.
    Any thought about an all Anti Cable system? Its surely affordable.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Any thought about an all Anti Cable system? Its surely affordable.

I will be trying his IC's soon.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Difference
    The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper.

This describes exactly the drawing process for any wire, including and especially magnet wire. This also discounts any idea that the wire has any special grain properties.

Oh, and did you also notice that the inductance drops by more than half when they are twisted, like most real speaker wire? Gee, why is that.....probably because the shunt capacitance is increased...odd, huh, because they also claimed that was a bad thing.

They also claim their cable to be oxygen free. What's the difference. Standard wire, also called ETP, and OF have *exactly* the same IACS conductivity. The O2 difference is 0.02 - 0.04% vs 0.001% respectively - ten times less of nothing, in this case.

Snake oil.

-Bruce

Other than chopping up cheap extension cords do you have any real experience with cables? Also if you are happy with your cables please go enjoy them. I am only sharing my experiences. You have made it clear you do not approve of my choice so since your point is made there is no point for you to post again.
    It isn't a matter of approving of your choice. It is yours to make, however, it is based only on speculation and nothing tangible.

-Bruce

FL did not know you had a dog in the fight. My point is I am enjoying the improvements the cables have brought to my system. My only complaint is people who have never heard them telling me I do not hear the improvements. Or some stranded extension cord cables would be better. I am just sharing my happiness with the members and visitors. My cables by the way are not twisted but I do plan on trying that in the future. Will report back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

FL did not know you had a dog in the fight. My point is I am enjoying the improvements the cables have brought to my system. My only complaint is people who have never heard them telling me I do not hear the improvements. Or some stranded extension cord cables would be better. I am just sharing my happiness with the members and visitors. My cables by the way are not twisted but I do plan on trying that in the future. Will report back.

What? Is this a place to exchange and debate ideas, or not? What does a dog in any fight have to do with that. Is it because I am coming down on the side of hard evidence that upsets you so? That there is no science to back up you subjective claim?

I am not telling you that you do not *hear* improvements, I am saying they are based on some internally developed emotional expectation. If your life depended on it and you had to actually prove that they make a quantifiable, repeatable difference, you cannot. You at least ought to be honest enough to admit this to the readers.

If you are happy, great! It is your system, your money. I am just pointing out that there is no way you can objectively present any evidence that what you are hearing actually exists.

-Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped View Post
    What? Is this a place to exchange and debate ideas, or not? What does a dog in any fight have to do with that. Is it because I am coming down on the side of hard evidence that upsets you so? That there is no science to back up you subjective claim?

I am not telling you that you do not *hear* improvements, I am saying they are based on some internally developed emotional expectation. If your life depended on it and you had to actually prove that they make a quantifiable, repeatable difference, you cannot. You at least ought to be honest enough to admit this to the readers.

If you are happy, great! It is your system, your money. I am just pointing out that there is no way you can objectively present any evidence that what you are hearing actually exists.

-Bruce

I have never said that my views are anymore than based on cables I have heard before. As we all know not everything can be explained by science yet. Hard science aside in my sytem they make an audible improvement and that is proof enough for me. I would rather listen to my cables than to your theories.

Oh and again I am not upset. I am amused. I am not arguing science just my increased joy with my music. I am sharing experiences and not out to change anyones mind as no one will change my mind. Let's be honest and say that cables, transistors vs. tubes and planar vs. dynamic speakers will always have strong opinions on both sides. I could no more say that someone should not like a speaker based on science or someone who likes tubes likes one type of distortion over another.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Without a difference of opinion or free exchange of ideas audio forums would serve no purpose yet there are those who are less open to debate than others. My comments expressed in this thread, which I thought innocent enough, have resulted in a threat to have me banned. I expect this post to be deleted.

Without a difference of opinion or free exchange of ideas audio forums would serve no purpose yet there are those who are less open to debate than others. My comments expressed in this thread, which I thought innocent enough, have resulted in a threat to have me banned. I expect this post to be deleted.

Now you have not been threatened with a ban. You PM'ed me that you would be watching me about if I liked alternate opinions. I replied I would be watching you to see if you negatively post so many times in another's thread. The word banned was never used. At the time I felt you made your point and then wanted to continue banging that drum.

I am not a scientist or electrical engineer but an audio hobbyist who is pleased with a particular cable. I was sharing my joy. Sharing the positive changes I have heard. So far several members have told me I do not hear what I do accept in my mind. I would welcome disagreement with someone who has heard the cables and did not like them compared to someone who speculates they would not like them.

To ease your paranoia I would not ban you. If I was feeling truly harassed I would take the issue to my sister and brother mods and let them decide proper action. Not only did I not delete your post I quoted it.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well last night I finally twisted the AntiCables. I noticed an improvement in detail and high frequency extension. I would almost say the sound was a little sweeter but I do not hear any colorations with the cables. I think I may be hearing more of the true nature of the Krell.

The cables have been a lot of fun to experiment with and listen through. I can see the advantages of having Paul create a bi-amp pair shotgunned and twisted. While the two spades stacked on top of one another fit the Krell's speaker binding posts I think a single spade with the two wires soldered to it would be easier. I am also thinking Paul's twisting might be a little more consistent than mine. Even with my twisting it is easy to hear the benefits of twisting the cables.

All this for less than I will be spending tonight to see Lewis Black and a nice dinner. This hobby is a lot of fun.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I tried the AntiCables twisted and bi-wired with the Monitor Audio RS6's and I have to say what an improvement. Much of the improvement heard with the OML1's happened for the RS6's. Any sonic confusion with the bass driver with the mid and high frequency driver is gone. The speaker sounds much more integrated than before. What I thought were cabinet colorations/vibrations now seem to be problems from the Audioquest Slate bi-wires I had been using.

Back to listening.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Since this thread has now been unlocked I can finally respond and set the record straight.

JohnMichael, I did not PM you first. You PM'd me FIRST and expressed your utter dissatisfaction with my comments in this thread. My response to your personal message was "why the burr under your saddle?" We exchanged several PM's after that and there was the implied threat of a ban if I continued to post in this manner.

JohnMichael, I hope you are man enough to not delete this post or lock the thread with no chance to respond like you did before. We'll see.

Since this thread has now been unlocked I can finally respond and set the record straight.

JohnMichael, I did not PM you first. You PM'd me FIRST and expressed your utter dissatisfaction with my comments in this thread. My response to your personal message was "why the burr under your saddle?" We exchanged several PM's after that and there was the implied threat of a ban if I continued to post in this manner.

JohnMichael, I hope you are man enough to not delete this post or lock the thread with no chance to respond like you did before. We'll see.

Am I man enough? That gives me quite a view to your personality. What does being a man have to do with it? I was annoyed by your posts both in this thread and the int. amp thread where because I held an opinion from experience that I like what I like. You accused me of not supporting differences of opinions when I was only stating what I liked in audio.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Come on guys, I didn't want this thread re-opened to read thru a bunch of whining and crying.

I'm sure the Mods can post the PMs to prove who said what and when but really, who friggin cares.

We all have different opinions and this is a virtual message board where all opinions are supposed to be welcome. If you don't like a post, ignore it.

Please get back to a cable debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Come on guys, I didn't want this thread re-opened to read thru a bunch of whining and crying.

I'm sure the Mods can post the PMs to prove who said what and when but really, who friggin cares.

We all have different opinions and this is a virtual message board where all opinions are supposed to be welcome. If you don't like a post, ignore it.

Please get back to a cable debate.

I'm sure it's this kind of crap that keeps some of us from even posting here anymore. Gotta admit it is entertaining to read tho.

Forum Regular
    If moderators stooped to send attacking personal messages to every member who expressed a difference of opinion this forum would soon be history. Regular posters who bring increased traffic to this site should be encouraged rather than discouraged.

JM, you should try and work on feeling more secure in yourself without the need to lash out when others disagree. You can start by not taking yourself so serious.

Suspended
    Well last night I finally twisted the AntiCables. I noticed an improvement in detail and high frequency extension. I would almost say the sound was a little sweeter but I do not hear any colorations with the cables. I think I may be hearing more of the true nature of the Krell.
    I tried the AntiCables twisted and bi-wired with the Monitor Audio RS6's and I have to say what an improvement. Much of the improvement heard with the OML1's happened for the RS6's. Any sonic confusion with the bass driver with the mid and high frequency driver is gone. The speaker sounds much more integrated than before. What I thought were cabinet colorations/vibrations now seem to be problems from the Audioquest Slate bi-wires I had been using.

Back to listening.
    JM, It's been fun to read your observations and differences between setups and speakers.

What is interesting about the above two posts is that I understood that if you were going to bi-wire (or bi-amp) the proper method of cabling is large solid core for bass, and lesser gauge twisted pairs for the upper connections.

So by leaving them untwisted, it seems like they had the bass, but the integration with mids and highs was lacking.

After twisting them, you now had more detail in the mids-highs, and probably more detail, clarity and control of the bass but may have lost just a little bottom end slam. That is actually a good thing for me at this time.

I used to want room shaking bass all the time but did not realize what I was missing. Now I much more appreciate clear precise detailed and controlled bass, with proper mids and highs over deep room shaking bass.

So next test is to bi-wire again but use the bass pair untwisted and the top pair twisted.

I am betting on another improvement.

I am surprised by the transformation the AntiCables have made when used with the Monitor Audio Rs6's. I can now completely agree with the Stereophile review. I almost gave these speakers away to my nephews for college party speakers. Now I will be having the party.

The bass is much deeper and cleaner. Listening to "Raising Sand" the bass was deep, solid and really filled the room. Again what I thought was cabinet resonances was some interaction with the AQ's. The bass being tight and clean I now know it is not room interference.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hyfi what a great idea to twist only the cables for the upper frequencies. Your post had me thinking about ordering another pair of AntiCables and using my bi-wire pair for the woofer and the new single wire for the mids/highs. Due to their low price this would be a fun experiment. You have given me some great ideas.

I also wonder what a run of solid core silver for the upper range and copper for the woofer.

As far as the bass is concerned I now have deeper more tuneful bass than I did with the RS6's and AQ combo. Of course not room shaking bass but a very solid foundation. I am really having fun with these cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    JM, It's been fun to read your observations and differences between setups and speakers.

What is interesting about the above two posts is that I understood that if you were going to bi-wire (or bi-amp) the proper method of cabling is large solid core for bass, and lesser gauge twisted pairs for the upper connections.

So by leaving them untwisted, it seems like they had the bass, but the integration with mids and highs was lacking.

After twisting them, you now had more detail in the mids-highs, and probably more detail, clarity and control of the bass but may have lost just a little bottom end slam. That is actually a good thing for me at this time.

I used to want room shaking bass all the time but did not realize what I was missing. Now I much more appreciate clear precise detailed and controlled bass, with proper mids and highs over deep room shaking bass.

So next test is to bi-wire again but use the bass pair untwisted and the top pair twisted.

I am betting on another improvement.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information