Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular
    I think I'll stick to my Wood's patio cord.

Here is a site for magnet wire at cheap prices-

Magnet Wire
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

Sadly you will never know what you are missing. All the music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    Why? Magnet wire is so cheap that it's worth trying out.... You might be surprised at the results...

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Here is a site for magnet wire at cheap prices-

Magnet Wire

The Difference
    The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper. They might look skinny, but that is because the insulation (dielectric
    material) is a very thin red coating instead of the typical thick plastic insulation. They are actually a heavy 12 gauge wire, even thought they look much smaller.

The truth is in the hearing and what I paid for two pair of AntiCables to bi-wire is less than I pay for a dinner for two with wine. I will always have the cables but I will piss away the wine and the dinner will soon come to pass. As Auntie Mame says life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving. I do not mean that in todays economical tragedies but let us not always find the cheapest way to go.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    The Difference
    The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper. They might look skinny, but that is because the insulation (dielectric
    material) is a very thin red coating instead of the typical thick plastic insulation. They are actually a heavy 12 gauge wire, even thought they look much smaller.
    Keep in mind that AntiCable is made part-time by a husband and wife team... working with the actual cable to measure, cut and terminate is relatively labour intensive (as magnet wire is more tricky to deal with than regular cables)... However, I see nothing to suggest that Paul and Judy Speltz create the raw wire (just that they cut and terminate it), so I assume they have a distributor supply them with very high quality (possibly custom) magnet wire. So it's likely better magnet wire than what you could purchase in bulk at a hardware, but using the cheap hardware wire should give some of the benefits...

The truth is in the hearing and what I paid for two pair of AntiCables to bi-wire is less than I pay for a dinner for two with wine. I will always have the cables but I will piss away the wine and the dinner will soon come to pass. As Auntie Mame says life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving. I do not mean that in todays economical tragedies but let us not always find the cheapest way to go.
    For the price of AntiCables I still regard them as an easy recommendation. But for DIYers who either must do something themselves or really need to feel that they've saved a buck, then magnet wire should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post

For the price of AntiCables I still regard them as an easy recommendation. But for DIYers who either must do something themselves or really need to feel that they've saved a buck, then magnet wire should be OK.

I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.
    Quality of the cable must play a role... But I don't believe (though I could be wrong) that the solid core you tried from Radio Shack had thin insulation like AntiCables and magnet wire... The combination of solid core, thin insulation and quality is what makes the AntiCable special... However, I have heard persons claim to get similar results with just magnet wire (solid core and thin insulation)... If I ever get my hands on some 12 gauge magnet wire, I'll do a comparison with my AntiCables...

Forum Regular
    Interesting article. Is there anything wrong with pride in ownership?

Speaker Wire

Interesting article. Is there anything wrong with pride in ownership?

Speaker Wire

I am proud of how much nicer my system sounds with AntiCables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    And I'm proud of my humble Woods Patio cord ( aka White Lightning Moonshine ) which costs less than $.20 per foot. I needed an easy to move around, flexible shielded cable and one that strips easily without losing stands and it meets those requirements. It's 16 gauge high quality copper wire is all that's needed for short runs and it works much better with set screw banana plugs than larger gauges. They're also light enough not to pull my tiny SET off it's perch.

The Woods Patio cord provides the best sound meaning it does not degrade which is all anyone should hope for.

Enjoy what you have but let us enjoy and be enthusiastic about what we have. I have tried many types of wires and for me these are best. I have no intention of braiding wires, making my own or cutting up extension cords. I do not like stranded wires and after hearing the AntiCables I have no interest in ever hearing other cables but sharing the joy they bring.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The AntiCables are keepers. They have no colorations or anything to distract me from the music. If there is something better I doubt if I could afford it.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.[
    I have been saying that for years...I don't think some realize that fact!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    As long as your speaker wire ( no matter the cost, the type, or the hype ) does not degrade the sound then that speaker wire is the best for your system. There may be degrees of degradation but if a wire does not degrade then it can sound no better. To think otherwise is to delude yourself.

As long as your speaker wire ( no matter the cost, the type, or the hype ) does not degrade the sound then that speaker wire is the best for your system. There may be degrees of degradation but if a wire does not degrade then it can sound no better. To think otherwise is to delude yourself.

The AntiCables degrade less than any cables I have tried or purchased. Therefore my systems sounds better with them in place. Are you upset that I am enjoying them so much and others are finding them quite nice.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

During my years in the audio hobby I have developed some strong feelings on cable preference. Of course my preferences are based on my ears. The first is an appreciation of solid core cable. I am sensitive to the strand interaction of stranded cables. All my speaker cables and IC's currently in my system are solid core. The only exception is the Incognito rewire that is very thin and probably does not carry enough voltage to cause strand interaction.

I also think the quality of the copper and grain structure are important. Purest copper and continually cast to minimize any grunge to the sound. My experience with Radio Shack solid core wire taught me that a good idea can be destroyed by poor materials.

I now believe in minimal insulation. Just enough to keep cables from electrical shorts. Speaker cables do not require shielding so no need for heavy insulations or jackets. If you need a battery hanging off the cable to minimize the problems with insulation your cables need less insulation.

The DNM Reson IC's and the AlphaCore TQ2's are not shielded. The TQ2's reject interference by being Purled. The TQ2's have minimal insulation between the ribbons but have a round jacket that keeps the ribbons purled. The Reson IC's are great with the cd player but they pick up a country radio station, less than two miles away, when used from the phono preamp.

I doubt if I ever try another cable or combination of cables. My only possible cable purchase would be a shotgunned pair of AntiCables with a single spade for the amp end. I would also ask Paul to twist the shotgun, bi-amp cables for neatness. Oh and I almost forgot I may order a pair of his IC's. I am curious in the way they are coiled if they will reject interference so I could use them from the phono pre to the int. amp.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Upset? As a child I loved reading "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Other than chopping up cheap extension cords do you have any real experience with cables? Also if you are happy with your cables please go enjoy them. I am only sharing my experiences. You have made it clear you do not approve of my choice so since your point is made there is no point for you to post again.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    I'm definitely not a cable fan, but I can't see why Anti-Cables bother you... I paid $60 for mine, which is still cheap for a pair of 6 foot speaker cables... And frankly the $60 is worth it just to keep me from having to waste my time cutting up extension cables...

I could understand you getting excited in a thread about $6,000 cables, but $60 is cheap enough that it really doesn't matter whether I could have got the same performance for less with some DIY project...

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Love the solid core. Glad you're happy John. I think the best point Poultry makes is regarding flexibility. For some, the stiff nature of solid copper is no good. Of course, John has reported in the past regarding stiffness...hehe.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The clarity is amazing and it only gets better. It feels good for me to stop chasing cables. Enjoy!
    Yes, off of the merry go round is the best feeling in this hobby. I have come to realize that I would rather listen to music than a different pair of cables every other month. Now I can listen to Pat Benetar and just enjoy...we are young.

Pat Benetar My Man?!?!...come on!!!!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Willie Nelson Wynton Marsalis

Two Men with the Blues

This was a cd I bought and had high hopes for the music. It sounded disjointed and uninteresting. The AntiCables and their proper timing make the music more enjoyable. The music makes more sense when the timing is right. The AQ with the spread spectrum interfered with the timing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    Quality of the cable must play a role... But I don't believe (though I could be wrong) that the solid core you tried from Radio Shack had thin insulation like AntiCables and magnet wire... The combination of solid core, thin insulation and quality is what makes the AntiCable special... However, I have heard persons claim to get similar results with just magnet wire (solid core and thin insulation)... If I ever get my hands on some 12 gauge magnet wire, I'll do a comparison with my AntiCables...
    Stereophile had the Radio Shack hook-up wire in their Recommended Components list for many years. They don't put grades on the cables because they are so subjective. They only provide reviews from their writers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information