Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Anti-Cables on their way/have arrived

I ordered two pairs of Anti-Cables for bi-wiring. I have been thinking of experimenting with either the Anti's or the Mapleshade speaker cables. I think what turned me off about the Mapleshade cables was the extra treatment or the double runs of cables. I have also found silver coated copper bright to my ears. The Anti-Cables are the most simple.

I used a pair of Poppa C's solid core cables but I think the limiting factor was the factory jumpers I had. Now that I will have two pair to bi-wire I will not need jumpers. I am expecting the great bass I had with the Poppa C cables.

The Audioquest Slates have become too smooth or I am bored with the smoothness. My stranded pair of bi-wire cables are too thin and miss some of the body of the music.

If I decide these are the cables for me Paul will shotgun a pair and twist them to make them a little more manageable. He does this at a slight upcharge. Then I will have only one pair of spades at the amp end and two at the speaker end. I have no doubt the Krell can handle two spades but I can see where it might make a neater cable run.

When they arrive I will be comparing them with the AQ Slates, AQ GBC stranded bi-wires, AlphaCore Goertz MI1 single wire. I will write a review and post to this thread.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man aint this hobby fun!

I had some 12 gage speaker bi wire on my Paradigm/Marantz combination. I got rid of the stock jumper in favor of some custom jumpers from Analysis Plus as well as single wire from A+ because this was cheaper than buying bi-wire. Turned out really well...the combination of custom A+ speaker wire/jumpers out performed the 12 gage bi-wire I was previously using.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Man aint this hobby fun!

I had some 12 gage speaker bi wire on my Paradigm/Marantz combination. I got rid of the stock jumper in favor of some custom jumpers from Analysis Plus as well as single wire from A+ because this was cheaper than buying bi-wire. Turned out really well...the combination of custom A+ speaker wire/jumpers out performed the 12 gage bi-wire I was previously using.

May I ask which 12 guage bi-wire speaker cable you used? As a solid core cable fiend I never tried Analysis Plus since I do not like stranded cables. I will be watching my mailbox for the Anti-Cables.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    May I ask which 12 guage bi-wire speaker cable you used? As a solid core cable fiend I never tried Analysis Plus since I do not like stranded cables. I will be watching my mailbox for the Anti-Cables.
    Hi JM...it was a cheapo cable. Nothing fancy or boutique. I got it online someplace about 5 years ago I remember. Just your standard high purity, oxygen free copper. It was stranded wire. This was before I believed cable and wire made a difference in a system. After I found out through a shoot out that cable and wire did make a difference, that's when I tried A+ wires with custom jumpers and was very satisfied. Thanks for asking.

I may have mis-lead you....it was single wire i made into bi-wire.

Kindly let us know about your new wire....Anti-Cables, I've heard nothing but praise bout Anti-Cables.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I hope the Anti-cables arrive today. Of course they were mailed Thursday so most likely Monday. I have an open mind about what they can and can not do.

I used to buy Radio Shack solid core hook up wire and made my own cables. I do not think the copper purity was enough for audio. I had all sorts of fun buying rolls of different gauges of solid core wire. They were available in gauges from 16 to 24. I first became interested in solid core when Dick Olsher did a cable review for Stereophile. He felt one of the best cables was the original Tara Lab cable that was a twisted pair of solid core wire. It was much cheaper than the other cables tested.

I have owned solid core speaker cable from Audioquest, AlphaCore, Nordost and Tara Labs. I would like to think the Anti-cables will be the best. They are very simple and inexpensive. As I mentioned previously the AQ Slates have become a little boring due to smoothness.

I have read where the cables need a fair amount of burn-in. I find that interesting since I have read the less dielectric the less time to sound their best. Another site mentioned the importance of tightening the binding posts for best sound. I think the Krell and the OML 1's have very solid posts that I should be able to torque it all down.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

They arrived today. Wow that was quick. Mailed them Thursday from Minnesota and they were here today when I arrived home. Initial impressions are very favorable. I was so excited to hook them up that they need a little reworking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anti-Cables on their way/have arrived-001-anti.jpg   Anti-Cables on their way/have arrived-003-anti.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Dowg Man! Do you cut them to size? And seeing the copper is open, will it tarnish over time?

Dowg Man! Do you cut them to size? And seeing the copper is open, will it tarnish over time?

They are very thinly insulated and terminated with copper spades. I ordered two 7 ft. pairs. The speaker binding posts on the Krell can easily handle the two spades each for the two runs of cables. As stiff as the cables are you would never need cable elevators since they hold themselves off the carpet.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You know the old expressions that a product removed a veil or opened a window to the sound well I must say the Anti's have done that for my system. Vocals are so natural and this does not seem to be due to the cables producing a more forward sound. I think it is because there is less interference from the cables.

It is way too early to write much of a review but I am pleased. I think it is too early to start twisting the cables to hear if that brings improvements. For now I like that random positions of the wire looking like art behind the speakers and stand.

I will say I have never heard Madeleine Peyroux's "careless love" sounding any better or as musical. Some of my cables can make this recording sound plodding and boring.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I do plan on running the wires a little neater than they are. I was very anxious to hear them so I hooked them up as quickly as possible. One thing that surprised me is they are considered directional. Of course that is how I hooked them up. It mist be how the wire is drawn that would make them directional.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You know the old expressions that a product removed a veil or opened a window to the sound well I must say the Anti's have done that for my system. Vocals are so natural and this does not seem to be due to the cables producing a more forward sound. I think it is because there is less interference from the cables.

It is way too early to write much of a review but I am pleased. I think it is too early to start twisting the cables to hear if that brings improvements. For now I like that random positions of the wire looking like art behind the speakers and stand.

I will say I have never heard Madeleine Peyroux's "careless love" sounding any better or as musical. Some of my cables can make this recording sound plodding and boring.
    Nice to hear you have improvement in your system. On another not....you got "Madeleine Peyroux" on vinyl? She can come close to sounding like our girl Billy can't she. I'll have to get that on vinyl some day

I do plan on running the wires a little neater than they are. I was very anxious to hear them so I hooked them up as quickly as possible. One thing that surprised me is they are considered directional. Of course that is how I hooked them up. It mist be how the wire is drawn that would make them directional.
    Yeah you sound like me when I get something new...So they best your old cables? Where they cheaper?

Yeah you sound like me when I get something new...So they best your old cables? Where they cheaper?

I would have to say they have greater clarity than the Audioquest Slates. The Anti's have no recognizable sound of their own. I think they will wear well. I find that it takes me about two weeks to know if I will like a cable long term.

I am really impressed when listening to Mozart's "Requiem" and Orff's "Carmina Burana". Massed choirs really fill the room in width and depth. The layering of the choir is impressive with the Anti's. The soundstage is open and expanded.

Each pair of cables with copper spades is $10 a foot. A 7 foot pair is $70. I bought two pair of 7 ft. Cables for $140. The sound makes it a bargain.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I would have to say they have greater clarity than the Audioquest Slates. The Anti's have no recognizable sound of their own. I think they will wear well. I find that it takes me about two weeks to know if I will like a cable long term.

I am really impressed when listening to Mozart's "Requiem" and Orff's "Carmina Burana". Massed choirs really fill the room in width and depth. The layering of the choir is impressive with the Anti's. The soundstage is open and expanded.

Each pair of cables with copper spades is $10 a foot. A 7 foot pair is $70. I bought two pair of 7 ft. Cables for $140. The sound makes it a bargain.
    Nice to hear you are initially satisfied, but the proof will be in the details down the road. But I have found if I initially like a product in the begining....it usually gets better.

As far as the music you listed above....is it vinyl? I have a few classical works on vinyl, but they seem to be of the older pressings of the 70's which are not very good recordings. Are those above good recordings? And could you be so kind and give me complete album name, artist and title? I am interested in growing my small string collection....the Vincent really shines with strings. Thanks.

The Anti-cables make it much easier to follow an individual instrument. The piano in the live recording of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Evgeny Kissin on piano with orchestra is not lost when the orchestra reaches a peak. The down side of the Anti's is there is no coloration to hide poor recordings.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

This thread is becoming my listening notes. These cables are not for systems that you need to brighten or warm up. The will not add anything to the balance. I do appreciate the clarity. Now that I have been listening to the Anti's I think of the AQ Slates as cornstarch. They thickened up the sound. The Black Eyed Peas have never sounded better.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Congrats on the new cables. Anti-Cables are the first (and so far only) cables that I can say I really heard a positive improvement in my system... And they are cheap enough that I could care less whether they would pass a DBT or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    Congrats on the new cables. Anti-Cables are the first (and so far only) cables that I can say I really heard a positive improvement in my system... And they are cheap enough that I could care less whether they would pass a DBT or not...

I have owned many different brands of cables. Alpha Core, Audioquest, Hartley, Kimber, Monster, Nordost and some I have forgotten. Who knew a single, solid, thinly insulated wire would become my favorite. I think many speaker cables have been over engineered. Ajani I do not know if you could do better so enjoy them. Maybe the ultra expensive top of the line models from the brands mentioned might be an improvement but I like the Anti's and the cost.

I enjoyed Vaughn Williams "Sea Symphony" late last night. Vocals do not get jumbled or become unintelligible. The clarity and separation with large choral groups is amazing. The group is stretched across the room instead of huddled together in the center. I have changed nothing but the cables so I attribute all the improvements to the Anti-cables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I decided to order a set, I've always been curious.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic View Post
    I decided to order a set, I've always been curious.
    I am sure you will be pleased and let us know your opinion.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I just had a thought. I may bring the Monitor Audio RS 6's out of the closet to see if the AntiCables help them. I have vacation coming up and will have the time to play. I know they will not knock the OML1's off of their perch but it might be fun to try. Both the OML1's and the RS6's are biwire and I am running two pair of AntiCables so it might give me an idea if the RS6's are better than I thought. Maybe the Audioquest Slates were holding them back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Raising Sand with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss has never sounded better. I think one of the benefits of this cable is timing. One solid core wire allows the pace and timing of the music to be correct. A cable like my Slates with different solid core guages tend to smear the timing.

Right now Pearl Jam Ten is playing. More coherence with Eddie's vocals and the band is sounding more together as a band than with other cables.

I think I heart these cables. I wonder what I can get for all my other cables with the price of scrap copper?

I am still using the DNM Reson IC between the SA8001 and the S-300i. The AlphaCore TQ2 from the Graham Slee Grahm Amp3 to the S-300i. All the cables have a single solid core wire for the positive and negative. Single and solid is the way to go for me.

JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Tonight while listening to In The Heights one of my favorite new Broadway Musicals I heard another reason to love the AntiCables. On disc 1 track 7 96,000 The stage contains several couples and a woman singing a solo. Tonight for the first time it did not become a jumbled mass of voices but you could continue to follow the individual couples while hearing the soloist sing above the others. Sounded like it did when I saw it live. Can I truly love a cheap cable, yes I can.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    You are driving my hopes higher and higher!!! Now I'm afraid I will be disappointed.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic View Post
    You are driving my hopes higher and higher!!! Now I'm afraid I will be disappointed.

I am not sure what you are using for cables now but my comments are based on my most recent experience with the Audioquest Slates. My speakers can be bi-wired so I am running a pair to the low frequency drivers and a pair to the high frequency drivers. I am not using single wire and jumpers. I could have purchased his jumpers for less than another pair of cables but I wanted to bi-wire.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information