Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

PoppaC do you have this one???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Frenchie I don't have any Byrd albums. He is a sideman on a few I own. The Technics question you have...KAB is a company that focuses on analog products. They offer SL1200 owners a complete upgrade of their decks, for a price. There are mixed reviews on this but for the most part the 1200 community love KAB.

You know what i am looking for on vinyl, a copy of Mingus in 93 at Times Square live. They did a legendary version of Moanin with Ronnie Cuber on bari sax. Pepper Adams played the studio version. Listen to this version and try not to fall in love with it...

Picked up some jazz goodies. The Ellington from The Salvation Army for $2 and the Chico Hamilton record (which I owned before) for $9 from my local shop, Poobah's in Pasadena,CA.

Love Poobah's! Their prices are reasonable, the same as the prices were before most of the record stores went under.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

living on so-cal

is a delight for record collectors like myself and the rest of us lucky dogs that live here. dont forget freak beat records on ventura blvd in sherman oaks and cd trader in reseda.

i have also recently been to penny lane on colorado, and may just have to give a visit to canterbury near lake.

hey poppa, when you visit, yer gonna go nutz.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy

hey poppa, when you visit, yer gonna go nutz.
    I will pre-book a rail car to bring home the score.

Oh boy. A friend just stopped by with a gift for me. His older brother abandoned these puppies years ago, and they just resurfaced at his mom's place. The Zoot Allures is literally in new condition, it appears unplayed and let me tell you, it sounds amazing. Mothers of Invention at the Filmore is a great album, but I'm unimpressed with the quality of the pressing.

On second thought, Joe's Garage is one of those albums that renews my faith in this format. Recorded perfectly of course, and pressed so wonderfully. Just amazing...gotta look for more Zappa on vinyl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03051.jpg  

Another excellent score courtesy of my buddy's older brother. More Zappa. The ACDC is a Canadian original pressing and the Judas Priest is just shy of mint, looks unplayed.

Poppa!! I want that Judas Priest album!!!!!

Nice acquisition!

I wonder if it is just me, or if you have the same experience ( or anyone on this forum), that Heavy Metal records are really hard to come across? I think they are hard to come by, because the fans are so die hard. I've been looking for some original Ozzy and have no luck.

Sundays finds

Went to a record show. Not a great one, but I suppose worth the trip. I passed on the one record I wanted most. It was covered in big, hardened, greasy-looking fingerprints but otherwise in NM condition. Here are the ones I didn't pass up.

Well done noob. I thought you had Something Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Well done noob. I thought you had Something Cool?
    Yes...but found a NM mono.

Let's not discuss mono.

I bet you that Madonna sounds great. Some of those pop albums are amazing. My Bowie Lets Dance and Prince Lovesexy are 2 of the best I have, they FAAAAR exceed any CD.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Went to a record show. Not a great one, but I suppose worth the trip. I passed on the one record I wanted most. It was covered in big, hardened, greasy-looking fingerprints but otherwise in NM condition. Here are the ones I didn't pass up.

IS Paul Desmond on the Brubeck Album?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Let's not discuss mono.

I bet you that Madonna sounds great. Some of those pop albums are amazing. My Bowie Lets Dance and Prince Lovesexy are 2 of the best I have, they FAAAAR exceed any CD.
    Nothing wrong with mono...if you have good gear.

Check out this 1986 release that was in my dad's collection. It has early Hooker from 1954 with no other band members...just him playing singing and taping his foot...excellent stuff and the album is in really good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    IS Paul Desmond on the Brubeck Album?
    Yes, indeed.

Let's not discuss mono.

The Madonna record actually does sound very good. It's also in perfect condition. Not even the smallest flaw to be found, anywhere.

Nothing wrong with mono...if you have good gear.
    I used to avoid mono. Now if I have a stereo version of something that came out on mono, I'll sometimes get the mono, too.

Sometimes the vocals sound much better on a Mono record, because they mixed them to sit more forward in the mix, while trying to accomplish the difficult task of having the rest of the instruments stand out. My original Sam Cooke mono copy sounds so good I could never listen to another version.
    Last edited by Enochrome; 05-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.

I have a few CD's that I think are mono.

I'd love the hear the new remastered mono Beatles albums.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Yes, indeed.

MY man!

Eat Your Hearts Out...

All free!!! Original and most importantly, near mint. I was almost in tears receiving the Humble Pie at the Filmore. It's literally mint, the vinyl looks unused. I have been looking for that for a LONG time, and here it just fell into my lap. It's oh so beautiful, and it's all mine. With the condition of these, at least a couple hundred bucks combined. SCORE!!

Poppa,

I covet your goods. You have such eclectic taste and collection. Man, that Motorhead and Maiden must rock!!!!How is that Page, Clapton, Beck record? I have heard about it but never heard it . I saw some short film footage of them making it and they looked totally trashed
    I always think that if someone has a varied music collection that they must be alright in the head. (audionoob might need to verify that or frenchmon)

Great pics!! I gotta post my recent thrift store finds and pose an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome
    Poppa,

I covet your goods. You have such eclectic taste and collection. Man, that Motorhead and Maiden must rock!!!!How is that Page, Clapton, Beck record? I have heard about it but never heard it . I saw some short film footage of them making it and they looked totally trashed
    I always think that if someone has a varied music collection that they must be alright in the head. (audionoob might need to verify that or frenchmon)

Great pics!! I gotta post my recent thrift store finds and pose an interesting question.
    Chubbs, If you need anyone to vouch that you're alright in the head, just give me a call.

Thanks Eno, and noob for the references. I am just warming up the tubes now. Yes I do enjoy several styles of music. I am a bass player, I think this helps. I am washing up the Humble Pie but I'll let you know about the Guitar Boogie LP. I suspect it's shoddy recording, but we'll see. Frank Marino is another one I'm very excited to have, that's going on first followed by Humble Pie. My wife is not amused.

Check out this 1986 release that was in my dad's collection. It has early Hooker from 1954 with no other band members...just him playing singing and taping his foot...excellent stuff and the album is in really good shape.

Very nice. Frenchie my buddy has a blues collection on vinyl to die for. I was over there the other day listening to a mint Chess double LP, it's a blues comp from the 1987 Montreux Fest. Amazing. I'll see if he'll part with any and send them your way.

That Hooker looks great, how does it sound?

I scored this on your suggestion. Haven't listened yet but it looks good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03098.jpg  

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information