Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

I'm at a point now where I'm just out of room to store the damned things. I've started culling stuff out of the main shelves and putting them in boxes. It's really hard for me to pass up $1 or less records... but I'm sad to say that I'm kind of at a point that unless they are stone-mint looking I don't even bother.

The good thing is that we're on track to building a dedicated listening room this fall. If that happens, I have a fresh batch of Ikea Expedit shelves in my future! Once that happens I'll have fresh space to conquer!
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Quote Originally Posted by scrivens
    Sickness is when you start buying rare pressings in the £150-300 range on a regular basis and spare copies

My bank manager hates me
    I routinely did that in the late 90's / early 00's.

In the mid-90's I had one of the world's largest collections of NWOBHM singles - I say that with absolute humility, it's just something that happened and was primarily due to the fact that I had an avenue here in the US in the late 70's early 80's to acquire a lot of them. Many of the genre's 7" singles routinely sold for $500+ in the late 90's and I bought and sold a LOT of them then. I sold my entire collection in 2003 to a fellow in the UK.

For those who are unfamiliar, the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal was an underground music movement in the UK from about 1978-1982. (The "heavy metal" part is a bit of a misnomer as most of the music that falls under this genre is really just hard-rock akin to 70's bands like Thin Lizzy, Moxy, et al.)

Almost all of the releases from the genre were self-produced, self financed affairs in very limited numbers. A band like, Bleak House, for example would rent time in a studio, lay down 2 or 3 tracks essentially live, have 100 or so pressed by some local fly-by-night pressing plant, and sell them at their gigs. Needless to say, a lot of these releases are astoundingly rare and numerous are astoundingly good!
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Good shape
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc02944.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by slate1
    I'm at a point now where I'm just out of room to store the damned things. I've started culling stuff out of the main shelves and putting them in boxes. It's really hard for me to pass up $1 or less records... but I'm sad to say that I'm kind of at a point that unless they are stone-mint looking I don't even bother.

The good thing is that we're on track to building a dedicated listening room this fall. If that happens, I have a fresh batch of Ikea Expedit shelves in my future! Once that happens I'll have fresh space to conquer!
    yes!

I bought a copy of Earth harmony by Hokus Poke in the 70's when I was a student. Vertigo with the swirly label. the band released one album, they were a typical German-touring British band, sounding a little like the Yardbirds.......cost £1.99 off a fellow student, now worth £150....

I Just wish that I had bought more then..and fewer now

Blue Note reissue, Benson for listening....brand new, sealed Hubbard, sounds amazing...$16.99 worth every penny!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc02958.jpg  

Linear Guy

I agree.....

As a member of the St. Vincent DePaul record of the month club, I can relate to the poisonous new hobby. I have cleaned out the record bins of all local thrift shops and made my way to Jerry's, the mecca and possibly medina of LP's in Pittsburgh. 2 million LP's and sever hundered thousand classical. Yikes. My kids aren't gonna get any of my dough now.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    The noisy Louis Armstrong record could be a mono. If that's the case, it might sound better in a system that can be switched to mono. It also might benefit from being played with a larger stylus. I use a 1.0 mil conical stylus (Ortofon Pro S) on my mono records.

I thought about setting up a Mono system. I have a Dual with 78 capability on my workbench waiting to be restored and a Bogen DB 130 integrated Amp that is specific to mono 78 playback.

I've also acquired a handful of 78 records from estate sales. I've never listened to them. I guess its time to start

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

squEEEEGE !

about a year and a half ago i gave away maybe 200 12" 78s all classical, lots of good orchs and conds. i gave 'em to nubz on AA, he was the only one to respond that wouldnt have required a backbreaking shipping job. there was a small handful of 10" pop records too.

too bad you werent in the market then. free is ALWAYS good. when my friend who gave them to me did so, she didnt mention they were 78s, and they looked like LPs but they werent. even record surplus didnt want them.
    ...regards...tr

02audioshopping in Austin

Perused a few record stores in Austin, today. Came home with these for just shy of 14 greenbacks...

Well done, I should have known you were up to something.

Tonight, a battle was fought between a Shure M97xe, Technics headshell and a mirrored protractor. After 35 minutes, it was a fight worth fighting. 99.99% perfect alignment...so worth it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc02964.jpg  

With a Technics, the recommended position is with the cartridge parallel to the headshell and the stylus 52 mm from the back of the washer on the headshell...measured horizontally. But some do favor the protractor alignment.

Two from the year of our nation's bicentennial

Seller is a DJ. 4 double LP's including a fantastic Isley Bros. 1 LP and the balance EP's. Sounds so impressive. Super minty and clean. I'm really enjoying hip hop on my system for a change. The bass response is a thrill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc02992.jpg  

Happy Record Store Day!!

Local shop was having a great sale today. The place was jammed. Proper re-issues reduced to $15. Also, buy 3 get 1 free. I snagged a used original of Crystal Silence...

sounds fantastic on my high fidelity stereophonic playback system. Phonographs rule!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

yer just a lucky buyin' fool

great pickups. gettin your good straight ahead base.
    ...regards...tr

Hey Tommy, good to hear from you. I sent you a couple of emails with no reply! Anyhow, the EICO is everything it promised to be and more. The Creek OBH-18 ended up being a wonderful trade. I have it inputted into the EICO line stage, dead quiet. Imagine my relief. The only dissapointment is the RIAA is awful on the EICO. It will require some work to get 47k of gain.

The other area I'm finding tricky, is the seperate gains for each channel. It's become quite evident that an SPL meter is the only way to really be certain. I will have to go and get one. I still have to get a voltmeter, mine is busted.

The local shop has alot more great standards, it was tough to choose. I have been listening to alot of Mobley lately, and it turns out they have a superior selection. All under $20...$16.99. On a more current, kill your parents, f*&k the world vibe...they had the latest Mastodon album with Ltd Ed. artwork etc.

Scored at AKFest. The whole lot for $20. All are NM except the Metheny 80/81, it's fully mint, both cover and vinyl. What a joy to listen to...

just got a sealed original album 'the great ray charles', together with a few kenny burrell albums, all originals, some on verve, some blue note including a japanese print of "midnight blue"!!

together with some other records, all are in great shape, will post pic
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Please stop me!!!

Here's but a few samples of my thrift store spending sprees of the last few weeks. I need to officially obstain from purchases for the summer. ITS GETTING CRAZY!!!!!!!

Those were the exotica type finds, I love the "Shock" record by The Creed Taylor Orchestra ( who later founded CTI records I believe)

Like the Bob James ( but it's scratchy) and the Ella Fitzgerald original Verve issue.

Here's some Mono LP's I found at the SA; they sound amazing I love the George Jones

I can't get those crazy large image sizes that Poppachubby gets. How do you do that? I try to set the image size to large, but it seems like it might be this site that is compressing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome
    I can't get those crazy large image sizes that Poppachubby gets. How do you do that? I try to set the image size to large, but it seems like it might be this site that is compressing them?
    I use Flickr and link the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Scored at AKFest. The whole lot for $20. All are NM except the Metheny 80/81, it's fully mint, both cover and vinyl. What a joy to listen to...

I use to have both the Pat Metheny albums back in the day before I sold all my albums. THe 80/81 is really a good one...I think he has the late Dewey Redman playing on sax...he is the father of award winning sax player Joshua Reman. There was nothing like Keith Jarrett, Paul Motian/Jack Dejonnette Charlie Haden and Dewey Redman back in the late 70'early 80's. IF you can find any of that stuff and really enjoy it...then you are a true jazz fan.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Blue Note reissue, Benson for listening....brand new, sealed Hubbard, sounds amazing...$16.99 worth every penny!
    poppaC...I am so jealous of you right now I dont know what to do...you and all those nice Jazz albums you score. Back in the 80's I did the same thing until I sold it all....boy was that the wrong thing to do.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by slate1
    Good score noob - especially at a buck a piece! "The Captain and Me" would have been worth $5 for me if it were in good shape.

Is this a mod Technics table? Looks like you changed everything in it....got a pciture of it?

KAB SL-1200MK2SE Turntable: KAB Cardas Tonearm Rewire - DIN / Fluid Damper / Outboard PSU / RC-1200MK2 Clamp / Isonoe Feet · Shure V15VMR Cartridge w/ Jico SAS Stylus

frenchmon

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information