Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Wink New Finds and Opinion

Here's a sample of some of my thrift store finds and such:

actually got this from my dad. This is my favorite classical lp, so nice with the Grado.

two favorite composers.Both are NM for $2.00 a piece.

This has to be my favorite find recently: they sound great. Vinyl is VG, but it was 3.50 and red!!!

Couple of OG soundtracks; looking for the clockwork since I started the vinyl craze again

More Mono finds: the Cooke sounds great in mono: his vocals stand out well.
    Early Chet Atkins, enough said.

Underrated Beach Boys album and the one on the left is an original Apple release of a Hari Krishna album that George Harrison produced and arranged, which I picked up when I use to work at Rhino Records years back.

Those were some record store purchases, except for the Mongo, Beach Boys, and Who which I purchased at my local thrift store, which has a weird twist:

My local thrift has a created a boutique section and has put LP's in there with prices of 3.50 & 5.50. Obviously they are hip to the value and desire of these records. Some are mispriced because of what they are (Streisand) and condition, yet most are really cool.
    They get a lot of records all the time and most of my posted purchases are from there. One time, I was there and I was walking around with a stack ($50.00 worth) of: original Who, Floyd, Buddy Guy, and the one's pictured; when these two audio gear guys asked to look at my records. They were impressed, but one of the guys said " I would never buy those because they are not a dollar anymore, that is not right" What!!!

What do you guys think of this?? Any of those records would have been $15.00 and up at Amoeba, and this guys going to pass them up?! Ironically, both those guys spent $80.00 on a reel to reel I don't mind paying up to $5.00 for a great and hard to find record, especially when the money goes to a charity where I see the affects of my money being spent on the assistance centers next door and the nice employees.

Here's the real kicker: Those guys were such bargain hunters, but they didn't know that if anything there is more than 21 days old, it is half off. I laughed when I saw them lugging that reel to reel out of the store.

I don't like it when this whole area of music, formats and equipment, turns into a collecting/fetish game; it's about music first, and labels, gear, and numbers second.

Sorry about the long rant.

Noob and Poppa!! Got the picture thing right this time!! The training wheels are off.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome
    Noob and Poppa!! Got the picture thing right this time!! The training wheels are off.

Hahha, yes good job. They look great.

First of all, this is a great topic for vinyl lovers. I attend many local record shows and swap meets. It's usually the same core of sellers/collectors. IMO, they overcharge for LPs that should be cheap, yet seem to be on point for the rarer/import stuff. A strange phenomena indeed.

Personally, I think $5 is a fine price for an album which is in good shape in/out. Where we get into $1/2 territory is for mass produced LPs which are in average condition. I'm talking about the Elton Johns, Bowies and Supertramps which were pressed by the zillion.

For anyone to quickly look at some titles and make a monetary assessment, shows a lack of experience. If I was those guys I wouldn't have said a word without seeing the vinyl first. The joke is on them really.

As for your albums, great stuff!! Love that red LP, and the Mongo. They all look great! Keep sharing especially now that we can see your wares.

PoppaC I love ya man, but that guy on the keyboard is kinda disgusting.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quite the dazzling display...like an old forum veteran!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    PoppaC I love ya man, but that guy on the keyboard is kinda disgusting.

OK I will change it.

Local thrift today. Not too bad. Hey i was wondering if any of you guys have heard an RCA/Victor Red Label Dynagroove? They had an Al Hirt pressed on one of these, but he was accompanied by an obnoxious orchestra, not my cup of tea. The LP however looked amazing, roughly 180g.

The Earl Grant is a great score, Decca original and like all of their early releases the LP is like a frisbee. 200g minimum. I bought the Sweet Emma on a whim, never heard of her but looks pretty authentic.

The 2 Jazz Great LPs are in great shape and 180g.

Hahahahahaaa, so true about those early Decca's I have about 4 of those and that describes them perfectly. In fact, I thought I bought a 78 one time My Segovia Decca sounds great!! scratchy, but great.

I have several classical lp's that are the Red Dynagroove, including the Julian Bream I posted recently: very solid pressings with great weight (think it's shy of 180), sit on the platter nice and sound great (no inner groove issues, unlike my new Kraftwerk reissue: ggrrrrrr ) The only other pressing of classical Lp's that I think are better: white label EMI issues, Russian or European(?) if you find those grab them immediately (if the price is right, which it probably will be, because most people donate them).

Can't wait to hear what you think of the EMMA and the Decca Gardner is great find; in fact all your finds kick butt!! <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Local thrift today. Not too bad. Hey i was wondering if any of you guys have heard an RCA/Victor Red Label Dynagroove? They had an Al Hirt pressed on one of these, but he was accompanied by an obnoxious orchestra, not my cup of tea. The LP however looked amazing, roughly 180g.

The Earl Grant is a great score, Decca original and like all of their early releases the LP is like a frisbee. 200g minimum. I bought the Sweet Emma on a whim, never heard of her but looks pretty authentic.

The 2 Jazz Great LPs are in great shape and 180g.

I just can figure out how you guys do it. I go to the goodwills and other local thrifts and all I find is junk!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I just can figure out how you guys do it. I go to the goodwills and other local thrifts and all I find is junk!
    I go to the same 2 stores regularily, like twice or three times a week. They are nearby and it's not out of my way to do so. This is the way you must do it. Heavily police one or two shops because there's alot of guys just like you looking too. It's too hard to stretch yourself out.

Sometimes, between both shops it can go for 2 or 3 months with nothing. During those times I usually hit the local record shop if I have an itch.

Sometimes I wish I was a Barbara Streisand or Kenny Rogers fan.

frenchmon, have you heard of Sweet Emma?

Yeah I guess so....I just don't go enough.

Yeah, I hit up the same 3 stores regularly. I have luck mostly at one, the others are hit or miss. I had a bad batch of records the last time, except for one gem, but that is the risk you take. I have to take a break for a month, I feel that my good hunting karma is fatigued.

Poppa, I meant Grant not Gardner: different musician.

Poppa, I meant Grant not Gardner: different musician.

I knew what you meant. I'll let you know how they sound. Thanks for the EMI tip. I have been listening to CDs all day with the 650.

It's like 70's movie music...

Oh man Noob! I love that series of Getz records. His tone is second to none. I heard that Coltrane said he was one of the best saxophone players once. That record is what established my appreciation for my Grado. The Getz and Byrd albums are great too!

Damn noob that album looks great! Where did you get it? Does Astrud stop in for a beer? Who else plays on it, any other American musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob

Tho Getz has a very warm distinctive sound in his sax....the real master was Antonio Carlos Jobim who wrote most of the music on those great "Bosa Nova" tunes that noob says sound like 70's movie music including "The Girl from Ipanema."

IF you want to check out some good stuff by a person who still does lots of that Bosa Nova stuff and always does Antonio Carlos Jobim's stuff, then check out Eliane Elias. She is a great pianist in her own right.

Noob you lucky devil....I have it on CD...wish I had it one vinyl...that type of sound was made for vinyl.

Oh man Noob! I love that series of Getz records. His tone is second to none. I heard that Coltrane said he was one of the best saxophone players once. That record is what established my appreciation for my Grado. The Getz and Byrd albums are great too!
    All the heavy weights loved Getz and Art Pepper back then. So its no surprize that Train would say that. I got got a recording where Getz is flat out doing some cuttin with Dizzy and Sonny Stitt...and people thought only piano players did cuttin back in those days.

Damn noob that album looks great! Where did you get it? Does Astrud stop in for a beer? Who else plays on it, any other American musicians?
    The only americans are Tommy Williams on bass and Milton Banana on drums. That albums is the first album that Astrud Gilberto sings on and she tells a wonderful story about how she started her singing career. IF you can find a good original copy mint Poppa, you've got a real keeper.

The only americans are Tommy Williams on bass and Milton Banana on drums. That albums is the first album that Astrud Gilberto sings on and she tells a wonderful story about how she started her singing career. IF you can find a good original copy mint Poppa, you've got a real keeper.
    It looks like Milton Banana was actually a Brazilian named Antônio de Souza. See the "Nome completo" in this Wikipedia article...

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Banana

I can't make out most of the Portuguese, but he was born and died in Rio.

It looks like Milton Banana was actually a Brazilian named Antônio de Souza. See the "Nome completo" in this Wikipedia article...

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Banana

I can't make out most of the Portuguese, but he was born and died in Rio.
    Oh..thanks for the correction.

Noob you lucky devil....I have it on CD...wish I had it one vinyl...that type of sound was made for vinyl.
    Ain't that the truth!

I got that one and this one, among other jazz classics, from a friend at work who was getting out of vinyl and downsizing his system, back when the promise of perfect sound forever was still somewhat new...maybe 1992 or thereabout. Astrud gets featured billing on this one.

Tho Getz has a very warm distinctive sound in his sax....the real master was Antonio Carlos Jobim who wrote most of the music on those great "Bosa Nova" tunes that noob says sound like 70's movie music including "The Girl from Ipanema."

IF you want to check out some good stuff by a person who still does lots of that Bosa Nova stuff and always does Antonio Carlos Jobim's stuff, then check out Eliane Elias. She is a great pianist in her own right.
    And pretty, too...

Ain't that the truth!

I got that one and this one, among other jazz classics, from a friend at work who was getting out of vinyl and downsizing his system, back when the promise of perfect sound forever was still somewhat new...maybe 1992 or thereabout. Astrud gets featured billing on this one.

And pretty, too...

Yes she is....noob, my man! You are ahead of the game. She also did an album giving Bud Powell and Bill Evans a tribute...have you heard those?

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information