Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

***** Lurker

Talking Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Are you buying new or used? I can relate. Wait til you hit that used mother load. You'll need that excitement and enthusiasm to get you through cleaning 100 LP's...

yeah I was at the main music store here in joplin and the had a metric ton of vinyl and had plenty of titles I love and it make me want to hurry up and get my damn table done and start jammin. But I guess good things come to people that take their time and do it right and make the right decisions. But at least I know that I now have a good place to find good titles in the small town of Joplin

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

***** Lurker

Question Cleaning? You have to clean them?

Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.
    Ummmm...titles please!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!
    Go to flickr.com and start an account. Once you have some pics loaded it's quite easy to link them here. Let me know once you have the acc't.

Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

The odds of someone giving away near-mint LPs at the onset of the Compact Disc are pretty good. I'll bet a great many unplayed records from the mail-order record clubs went to Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Ummmm...titles please!
    I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.

I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.
    Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?

That is a great score!!!

Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?
    Candy-O has that unforgettable cover, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    That is a great score!!!
    ...and the thing I love about that store is they don't put high price tags on the good stuff. A classic jazz album can be just as cheap as a pop album. That means you have to be fast, though.

jesuschristopher
    You've got a problem?! For every Young-Holt Unlimited gem, I have a Don Johnson (yes, that Don Johnson) embarrassment. When it's a buck, it's hard to walk away if for no other reason than to say you own something that ridiculous.

You guys came to the party late. In the 80's when "perfect sound forever" was released I was buying vinyl from people who bought into the myth. I more than tripled my vinyl collection in a two year period. Most the additions were from "audiophiles" dumping vinyl for CD.
    I didn't have to go to GW or a "Thrift Store". I would go to a friends home and pick what I wanted from collections that were well cared for. Three or four bucks apiece was what I payed for pristine vinyl.
    I still check GW and other places periodically. It's a lot more work now and the stuff usually needs serious cleaning. The "Spin Clean" is the cheapest thing I've heard of for cleaning vinyl. You can get one for $60 or get the complete system (extra everything) for $100. I'm ordering one.

I even clean new vinyl.

See the review link below.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...rd_cleaner.htm

Get it here.
    http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com...ts-record.html

The only thing I have concerning Don Johnson is his picture on the Miami Vice soundtrack LP.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.

That was a very nice thing to do. I'll bet that 20 or so you took off his hands are ones you still play and treasure today.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.
    I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    You guys came to the party late. In the 80's...
    Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.

I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...
    You say you were born in 77! You must have been born with an old ear or something. I did say you came late to the party. Not your fault just the draw.
    I too would have grabbed all of them and If necessary promised payment at a later date.

It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
    Why do you need help? Keep it up man!

Not Bad...

...there's a record show in town tommorrow. Didn't want to go overboard today.

I stopped by the place with the $2.98 records again, today, just for a few minutes...came away with this...

I think I'm gonna dig that DVD. I can't believe a Columbia 6-eye (the Brubeck) can be priced $2.98, but hey...that's the way they do it. Brubeck: $2.98. Streisand: $2.98. Liberace: $2.98.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

hah ! 1977

i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.
    ...regards...tr

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.
    Hey, man. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharin'. Sounds like you have some great memories of good times.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

...came away with this...

we had a local 'yard sale' where the guy had many hundreds of LPs available at $0.50 and my non LP purchase for two bucks was the chet baker VHS of 'lets get lost', the documentary featuring him in person.

later when i checked it on the computer it was going for $80 !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8Z8H6PG68ST4A

above is a dvd for $26 and below, you wont believe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

its certainly wort a view as a video but at what cost?
    ...regards...tr

Great story Tommy. It goes to show that companionship is what it's all about. A marriage without it, is doomed. My wife and I spent 8 years together before deciding to get married. Life is busy but we still have fun.

I feel sorry for guys on here who talk all tough when it comes to their spouse. Would rather have an oversized speaker and a marriage pending divorce, than a happy home.

BTW, here's where I will be today...

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information