Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathos Logos!

Pathos Logos!

Those of you who have been kind enough to indulge my quest for an integrated amp to power the 1.6qr's I have on order know I got the Pathos Acoustics Classic One MkII -- and while I absolutely the sound of the amp, I was a little dismayed about the lack of power and low end.

Well I just found a used Pathos Acoustics Logos for a ridiculously low price! It's somewhat out of my original $2k budget, but not by a huge amount. What a score!!

If this thing sounds as good as the Classic One but with more power, then I'm going to be VERY happy.

Should be here Friday, I'll let you know what I think.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Those of you who have been kind enough to indulge my quest for an integrated amp to power the 1.6qr's I have on order know I got the Pathos Acoustics Classic One MkII -- and while I absolutely the sound of the amp, I was a little dismayed about the lack of power and low end.

Well I just found a used Pathos Acoustics Logos for a ridiculously low price! It's somewhat out of my original $2k budget, but not by a huge amount. What a score!!

If this thing sounds as good as the Classic One but with more power, then I'm going to be VERY happy.

Should be here Friday, I'll let you know what I think.
    Hi Mike,

I used to own the Logos and it is a fanatstic amp. Not only does it look great but it sounds clear and powerfull. I did change the two stock tubes for NOS Telefunken and that made a real difference. The amp is very heavy for it's size, and will run hot as the pre amp stage runs in pure class A. Let me know when you have it.
    Have fun.

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 01-20-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Should be here today.

I have a couple of the Ei Gold (Yugoslavian tubes) that I put in the Classic One, they sound quite good. I heard someone refer to them as the "poor man's Telefunken". I'm not poor yet, but I will be at this rate!
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 01-20-2006 at 08:26 AM.

Should be here today.

I have a couple of the Ei Gold (Yugoslavian tubes) that I put in the Classic One, they sound quite good. I heard someone refer to them as the "poor man's Telefunken". I'm not poor yet, but I will be at this rate!
    The Teles E88CC aren't that expensive. Take a look at www.machmat.com
    He sometimes has some. Very reliable seller.The EI are Telefunken copies made to the same specs. Not the same though.I have towards the tail end of last year given a nos pair away.They are still a few of them about.
    I think you will like the Logos. If I wouldn't have gone all tube I would have kept it.
    Hey it's Friday-has it arrived yet?

Bernd

Grats, the Logos is a great amp. But wait till the 1.6 is there since its a big difference incl. the power output in max volume and low end. But dont expect earth shaking, not even the 20.1 does that.

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    The Teles E88CC aren't that expensive. Take a look at www.machmat.com
    He sometimes has some. Very reliable seller.

I don't see any there right now. He has a lot of others at good prices though. I'm thinking about getting those Mullards - I always used Mullard 12AX7s in my guitar amp, and they were killer.

That's a good choice too. I just like the clarity of the Tele's.Lot's of scope now.

Bernd

That's a good choice too. I just like the clarity of the Tele's.Lot's of scope now.
    I'd love to get some Telefunkens - if you see some that don't cost $300/tube, let me know.
    Thanks.

Been listening to it a while now on the MMG's, I really like it -- plenty of low end, and I don't have to crank it to 95!

More thoughts after I've had a chance to listen for a couple days.

Can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like on the 1.6's.

Well after only a couple hours I can say the Logos *definitely* handles bass with a lot more authority. It's significantly louder and more controlled than with the Classic One.

Overall the amp is just a heckuva lot beefier.

I think highs were possibly a bit clearer and more delicate with the Classic One, but I can't really tell if I just noticed them more with less prominent bass.

Well the Logos is twice the price so it better be different! Enjoy ;-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I'd love to get some Telefunkens - if you see some that don't cost $300/tube, let me know.
    Thanks.
    Will do. In the meantime, if you want, I have a matched pair of Harma Diamond 6922 (made a big improvement to the stock Sovteks) you can have. Just sent me a PM with your address and I sent them to you.

Have musical weekend

Bernd

^^ That's way too generous - but I won't turn you down!

^^ That's way too generous - but I won't turn you down!
    No problem. They will go out on monday.

Bernd

Well I've been listening to the amp for a day and a half now, and I have to say -- there's something not quite right: The highs are really harsh at times. When there's something like a soprano, a trumpet, or high piano, it can be quite unpleasant, grating and almost painful to listen to if it's at all loud.

I would be tempted to say it's the room (I have hardwood floors and a fair number of windows), but I haven't experienced this with other amps. The Classic One is very sweet and pleasant at all frequencies, and it's sitting in the same room. The sound of the Classic One makes me want to turn it up, while high frequencies on the Logos make me want to turn it down.

Is it possible that with the greater amount of power, the amp is pushing out more volume at the high frequencies (as well as the low), and that's making my room issues more audible?

I'm going to wait until the 1.6's are here to make any decisions, but it's clear I may have to do some adjustments if I want to keep the Logos. I'm really hoping I can get it to sound like the Classic One, only with a little more volume and bass.

Hi Mike,

Never had any issue with brightness from the Logos. It is a much better amp then the Classic one and will give you, of course, more of everything, especially power. I would guess ,you already indentified your room issues, you are getting much more clarity. And with all those hard reflective surfaces the sound will bounce around. I use several large leafed plants behind the speakers and that works a treat and looks good. I used the Logos with very sensitive Horn speakers and no issue with brightness there. I can not stand artifical bright metalic sound.I would wait for the 1.6 and see how you get on. I have no experience at all with panel speakers so can't really give an opinion.Also wait for the tubes to arrive. The Sovteks 6922 are a touch on the bright side, the Harma Diamond 6922 should put that right.

Bernd

^^ Will do.

It's just a hobby
    Hi Mike,

Never had any issue with brightness from the Logos. It is a much better amp then the Classic one and will give you, of course, more of everything, especially power.
    Hmm...There is a reason why the Classic One and TT are more popular than Logos...no prizes for guessing why , and both have lower rated power than the Logos. Take my comments with a grain of salt though, as the dealer coyly (I think?) did not let me hear it alongside the TT or the Classic One, I think I know why . By the way, The old Logos ,not sure about the new, did not use an INPOL circuit.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Can you confirm the model?

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Hmm...There is a reason why the Classic One and TT are more popular than Logos...no prizes for guessing why , and both have lower rated power than the Logos. Take my comments with a grain of salt though, as the dealer coyly (I think?) did not let me hear it alongside the TT or the Classic One, I think I know why . By the way, The old Logos ,not sure about the new, did not use an INPOL circuit.
    This is the pic I took at HE2005 of the Vandy 5a's driven by Pathos amp

Is this your amp?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Looking it up online

It appears to have been an Pathos InPower
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

. By the way, The old Logos ,not sure about the new, did not use an INPOL circuit.

I didn't know there was a "new" and "old" Logos - where do you see this info?

It's just a hobby

Well this is a review of the old model, they have since released a new Logos.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    It appears to have been an Pathos InPower
    Yep, that is the InPower, a rather majestic looking set of amps in the flesh. , how did it sound.

Well this is a review of the old model, they have since released a new Logos.
    Absolute rubbish.

Classic One
    Logos
    Inpol2
    Cinema-X
    In Control
    In Power
    TT

This is the line up of Pathos Intgrated and Pre Power amps. The Inpol 2 is similar looking then the Logos. However it is a completely different amp. It is frustrating when people make comments about something they have absolutley no clue about.
    Please get your information right and then bring something new to the table. As I said before"You are devoid of original thought".

Bernd

Mike,

There is no new and old Logos. There is the Logos and there is the Inpol2. Look similar but completely different amps.For high current demand with your panel speakers you will need the Classic One or the Logos.
    The TT and the Inpol2 have less power and play better with sensitive speakers. They also sound clearer and sweeter as they should for the increase incost.
    Tubes went off today.

Bernd

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information