Forum Regular

Bridging Question

New to the forum, and new to higher end audio as well so forgive the newbie. I am considering an amp for my front channels. Really considering Adcom equip, mainly due to funds and availability of used equipment. I was considering a 545ii for the fronts, but was also thinking about bridging two 535ii's. Can I bridge the 535ii's? and is there any advantage to this? I guess in general is it better to buy 2 lower power amps and bridge them or just run one higher power amp for both speakers? thanks

nightflier

Adcom

Quote Originally Posted by ironandsteel
    New to the forum, and new to higher end audio as well so forgive the newbie. I am considering an amp for my front channels. Really considering Adcom equip, mainly due to funds and availability of used equipment. I was considering a 545ii for the fronts, but was also thinking about bridging two 535ii's. Can I bridge the 535ii's? and is there any advantage to this? I guess in general is it better to buy 2 lower power amps and bridge them or just run one higher power amp for both speakers? thanks
    Nothing wrong with Adcom. If you're going to bridge, be very careful about how you connect the wires. A mistake here will void your warrantee. Bridging (one amp per speaker) will be a noticeable improvement. Typically this will double your output and provide more power to quickly span dynamic swings in music. It should also provide more powerful and clean bass, which is typically where more of the power is required, anyhow. Another option is monoblocks - Adcom has a pair of 300W mono amps that are very powerful - you can find these used for a good price usually.

One thing about Adcom is that to my ears they are a bit bright. If your system is not a good fit, this could be fatiguing after a while. so I would highly recommend auditioning before buying. Check AudioAdvisor.com, they have a good return policy.

Given the option (which you indicate you have)...

..you're always better off getting a more powerful amp than bridging two smaller ones. With bridging you increase distortion, the bridged amps see the speaker as half it,s impedance, etc...

Simply put, given the option, go for one more powerful amp, or simply biamp (not biwire)your speakers.

Forum Regular
    I have head many pros and cons for bridging and down the road will likely experiment a little, very little and very cautiously. but the more I read I am very interested in bi-amping. I just picked up a B&K ST 202 which is listed at 150 W, so plenty of power. What does anyone think of bi-amping the B&K with my Denon AVR 1800 (75 W), with the B&K on the lows and the Denon on the highs? Unfortunately I think the B&K only has one set of speaker outputs, thus eliminating my ability to bi-wire.

golden ear
    I have head many pros and cons for bridging and down the road will likely experiment a little, very little and very cautiously. but the more I read I am very interested in bi-amping. I just picked up a B&K ST 202 which is listed at 150 W, so plenty of power. What does anyone think of bi-amping the B&K with my Denon AVR 1800 (75 W), with the B&K on the lows and the Denon on the highs? Unfortunately I think the B&K only has one set of speaker outputs, thus eliminating my ability to bi-wire.
    i think there is too much gain difference here for you to consider bi-amping. sound may come unnatural. as for bi-wiring, of course you can do this even if the speaker output is just 1 pair...that should be no problem..by the way, your B and K stereo power amp is superb. just bi-wire your speakers and that should do it. just have your denon drive the other remaining speakers in your system if there are any.

golden ear
    you may try a respectable dual mono amp or a mid powered mono amp for each of your speakers. this should give you better sonic quality than bridging stereo amps due to impedance issues...

What does anyone think of bi-amping the B&K with my Denon AVR 1800 (75 W), with the B&K on the lows and the Denon on the highs? Unfortunately I think the B&K only has one set of speaker outputs, thus eliminating my ability to bi-wire.
    Your ideas on bi-amping seem spot on. The big boy to the lows and your existing amp to the highs should maximize what you have.

And, don't sweat the bi-wire thing. Not that having only one set of terminals is an impediment but it's effects are highly over-rated, and I'm being extremely diplomatic here..

Forum Regular
    Maybe this should be in a different forum, but to continue on the bi-amp thing i have a question on the effect of my cables. I just bought a used pair of Audioquest Crystal 2's. They arent long enough to split into 2 sets to bi-amp, so Ill have to use my old Monster M series cables. Would I want to keep the AQ cables with the amp to power the lows, and put the monster on the highs or just pitch the m series and the whole bi-amp idea due to cable restraints? Anti-high-end-cable-folks don't bite too hard on me for this one.

Although some dispute it, the overall impactt of cables on the overall sound is much, much less than many would have you believe. IOW, go with what ya got.

Thread Information