Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Forum Regular

Need advice

Hi i need advice on buying a advent reciever. I was thinking of buying a old advent reciever to power my smaller advents. Which receiver would be good for power for driving my smaller advents o ya and it must be 4 ohms. And around 200 dollars and i dont feel like buying off the internet thanks jeff.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBrecklin
    Hi i need advice on buying a advent reciever. I was thinking of buying a old advent reciever to power my smaller advents. Which receiver would be good for power for driving my smaller advents o ya and it must be 4 ohms. And around 200 dollars and i dont feel like buying off the internet thanks jeff.
    The best advice that I (or anyone else) could give you would be to buy yourself any brand of receiver other than Advent. There is no longer a company by that name - even though you might see from time to time some electronic products bearing the name, such as TV sets. Don't be bamboozled ... the company that built your Advent speakers is no longer. The use of the name was sold, that's all.

If reliability over the long term is important to you, buy Yamaha. They're the industry leader in that criteria.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

is it 4 ohms

Which yahmaha is highpowered 4 ohms.

Forum Regular

hello

Hello is anyone there the reciever must be 4 ohms and around 200 wpc which yamaha reciever has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm selector. Thanks jeff

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    If you're not going to buy off the internet. Then go to a store and look at 4ohm receivers. All you have to do is walk through the door and say "Hello! Anyone there?"

Forum Regular

ok

Ok my mom and dad were going to buy it for me for my birthday.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I think all Yamaha AV receivers have an impedence selector switch on the back. This lets you set it for 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V450.htm

A link to an entry level receiver above. Download the manual from the link on that page. Look at page 20 of the manual to see what I refer to.

Yamaha often manufactures nearly identical receivers with different model numbers. The models beginning RX go to 'prestige' stores and cost more than the models beginning HTR that are sold by many online retailers or 'budget' stores. Generally similar models are identical except for the lettering or small cosmetic differences. If you find an RX model you like. Try to figure out what the matching HTR model would be, you may save money.

Suspended
    Woodman is right, "Advent" the name has been bought and sold many times over and who knows what is in the box. Not likely, but the coin could fall on the other side and it be a decent receiver. I mean look at those Apex DVD players that sold for cheap, everyone I know who bought one still has it playing. Not my cup of video, but hey......

I wouldn't think that too many receivers today would have a real problem driving 4 ohms. For 2 channel, I recommend the Onkyo at around $200. it drives the mess out of a little pair of 4 ohm AR's.

Forum Regular

my parents wont let me

My parents wont let me buy a good reciever i was going to buy a onkyo. O well im just going to go into my room and start making a franking steine 4 ohm reciever and hope that i dont get shocked.

Forum Regular
    My advice it to buy an old Marantz receiver like a 2270 in good condition. It will power your speakers, is very stable even with low impedence loads like 4 ohms, it performs excellently, has lots of useful features, and it very reliable. It's also probably well within your budget.

I don't know what experience Woodman has had with Yamaha but he should read a current thread on the HT board about the nightmare someone is having with a $10,000 Yamaha receiver.

Z9 - yamaha, Worst support i've ever had!

I personally have seen 2 Yamaha receivers from different eras blow up their amplifier stages at trade shows. I cannot say that they are any more reliable than anyone elses.

If you buy new equipment, for $200, you won't get much for your money.

Forum Regular
    Hi Jeff,

Skeptic makes a good point about used equipment. You might look around in your area at places like Good Will or Salvation Army or even a pawn shop. You also might check out if there are ads in a local resale paper ( here in Michigan we have one called Tradin Times). Garage sales are also a possibility. You know you might be able to get by with a cheap stereo receiver from a company like Sony or Kenwood. You would have to keep the volume at low to moderate levels but your parents might appreciate that and you could probably get one on sale for about $140 at a place like Best Buy. A used Technics could do the same thing pretty well and save you more money. Just a last thought, when I was just getting into music, money was tight in our family and I got a couple small units which got me by until I could afford what I really wanted. Maybe a mini-system of some kind which your family can afford now would be a better choice. Then you could take your time and save up for something nice to power your Advents. Anyways, good luck and hang in there.

Forum Regular

thanks

Thanks matt and skeptic i will look at good will and st vincent depaul

This is really good advice, Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    My advice it to buy an old Marantz receiver like a 2270 in good condition. It will power your speakers, is very stable even with low impedence loads like 4 ohms, it performs excellently, has lots of useful features, and it very reliable. It's also probably well within your budget.
    Dadgummit, I wish I'd thought of it first!

You can find restored Marantz receivers on e-bay all the time and like Skep notes, they are very reliable, will drive a truck, and honestly sound better than most of today's receivers, especially anything that you would get for $200 new. They are also very retro-cool with their glowing blue displays and stainless steel faceplates. I use an archaic 30 watter myself but don't be fooled; these are a real 30 watts and it plays louder than I'll every need it to.

Go old school, Jeff.

Forum Regular

thanks

Thanks i will look for marantz but are they 4 ohms.

Amps aren't 4 ohms, speakers are. Yes, they will drive your Advents without breaking a sweat.

I would look long and hard at this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...708087716&rd=1

If your dad was/is into audio at all, he'll know this receiver.

Forum Regular
    I bought a Pioneer SX 950 85wpc receiver for $10 in a garage sale a few months ago. It's a beast. It sat in a garage for years. The owner didnt' want it anymore. I think they went HT. Their loss was my gain.

Forum Regular
    That's a beauty. Would make a wonderful choice.

Forum Regular

Yes it is

Yes it is a bueaty will a old lxi receiver be able to drive my advents it says 8 ohms minimum other wise i will try to find a old marantz.

i think you answered your own question

Forum Regular

sorry

Sorry but what does that mean. The people at sound world said that you cant play 4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm reciever. So i am unsure what to do.

The people at sound world said that you cant play 4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm reciever.
    You can, your receiver just won't like it very much. At low to moderate volumes, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if you like to crank it up a notch or two, the tougher impedence curve of your Advents is going to either overheat the receiver and trip the protection circuitry whereas you'll get no sound for awhile (until it cools off) or it will fry your amps whereas you get no sound forever. Your choice.

Talk your parents into buying the Marantz. To your friends, you'll be a connoisseur.

Forum Regular

ok thanks

Ok thanks my advents sound really good on that reciever i thought it would do somthing bad to the crossovers but i guess im wrong.

anyway thanks jeff

Forum Regular
    I think i will buy the marantz imperial 5 speakers.

I think i will buy the marantz imperial 5 speakers.
    WTH??? Speakers! I thought we were talking about amps!

Jeff, that 2285B is still under $100 as of this writing with 18 hours left. If I didn't already have a 2230 I WOULD BUY IT.

You will not go wrong with this receiver.

Forum Regular

i dont

I dont have the money and i dont trust buying off of the internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information