Forum Regular

Integrated amp advice for dedicated stereo/computer system

I'm putting together a stereo only system for my office. This would be a 100% music system. This will, for the time being, use my "old" Toshiba SD-5700 DVD-Audio/HDCD player and also be used as my computer speakers to play MP3's and computer sounds.

Does anyone have any advice how to hook this up? I currently have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 24-bit/192 khz sound card. The system will have B&W full range speakers. Either the 600 S3 or CM series, or the CDM9NT's if I can find a used pair at a really good price.

What I need advice on is how to power them. My budget is $1000 (figure $1300 for leverage with haggling and/or buying used). Would it be best to buy a separate pre-amp and amp, or would an integrated amp be better? This would be used primarily for classical /acoustic music with occasional rock / electronic. I'm looking for very accurate sound. I'm thinking about getting an integrated amp, such as Rotel's RA-1070. Does anyone have advice or experience with a similar setup (computer or stereo only)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by stevos2005
    I'm putting together a stereo only system for my office. This would be a 100% music system. This will, for the time being, use my "old" Toshiba SD-5700 DVD-Audio/HDCD player and also be used as my computer speakers to play MP3's and computer sounds.

Does anyone have any advice how to hook this up? I currently have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 24-bit/192 khz sound card. The system will have B&W full range speakers. Either the 600 S3 or CM series, or the CDM9NT's if I can find a used pair at a really good price.

What I need advice on is how to power them. My budget is $1000 (figure $1300 for leverage with haggling and/or buying used). Would it be best to buy a separate pre-amp and amp, or would an integrated amp be better? This would be used primarily for classical /acoustic music with occasional rock / electronic. I'm looking for very accurate sound. I'm thinking about getting an integrated amp, such as Rotel's RA-1070. Does anyone have advice or experience with a similar setup (computer or stereo only)?

Thank you very much for your help.
    Pick your speakers first and foremost. Without knowing what kind of loads the speakers are going to present to an amp, you'll be putting the cart before the horse. For example, if you go with the 602's (forget the CM's btw, you're paying for style, not substance) you're more likely to get away with a good integrated whereas with the CDMNT's I'd recommend separates or a VERY good integrated. Check AudioAdvisor for integrateds or separates from Audio Refinement, Parasound, Marsh or maybe even ASL if you'd like to go tubes. All four would be a good match for the CDM's. I bought a Cambrige Audio 540a and am very happy with it in my office. However, I'm not as picky about my music in the office (it's just background after all) and my Argonauts are 95db sensitive. You'll want more cajones with the B&W's.

Unless you have an inordinately large office, do you really need the added bass of the 9NT's over the 7NT's or even 1NT? For what you are listening to, at the volumes you'll need to listen to it, I guess I'm just questioning the application. I know in my office I can't play my stereo all that loud and my Missions, which have twin 8" drivers,are simply overkill (a thought shared by all of my office mates as they are asking when I'm installing the dance floor and mirror ball). Just a thought.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Thread Information