Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    That is very interesting. I assumed Lansing came later because no where on the speaker is Lansing mentioned like their "newer" speakers. Thanks for the correction.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    In addition to my Denon DP-59L turntable (pictured in post #42 on page 2 of this thread) last year I added a 1975 SAE Model 2400 amp to my collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's vintage in your system?-2400_front.jpg   What's vintage in your system?-2400_rear.jpg  

Here Goes; Pioneer HPM 100/40, Pioneer GR 777, Hafler XL600, Hafler PRO 2400
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's vintage in your system?-v5.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I own some old (big) Pioneer speakers, a Marantz 2270 receiver and a in-need-of-repair Garrard SL65 turntable. I also have a Sony TC-WE305 cassette deck (not sure if it's old enough to qualify as vintage though).

Forum Regular
    I'm currently using a 1960's modified Dynaco PAS 3X tube preamp. It works quite well with my Bel-Canto amplifier.

blp
    I have in operation all bought new when in the Air Force overseas 2 Pioneer 901 60 lbs speakers, Pioneer Quad QX 949, Sansui FR4060 turntable with Pickering cartridge, 1 Akia 202 4 channel reel to reel, 1 Akia 75d cassette all bought in 1975 and 1 Sansui metal cassette player bought in 1980.

Pioneer SX-780 Receiver
    Technics SA-DX930 Receiver (just bought it at a pawn shop for $85. Probably not "vintage".

CD: Mission PCM4000 (1988)
    DAC: Philips DAC960 (1988)
    AMP: Philips FA960 (1989)
    SPEAK: Isophon Odeon (too young to be vintage)

mmmh!!...

Wink

1967 Klipschorns
    1984 Klipsch Cornwalls
    1979 Klipsch Heresys

People either seem to love or hate the Heritage series speakers from Klipsch. You can tell what side of that fence I'm on..................

I'm running an old Tandberg TCD 310, an enormous half-functional Sony HME-228, and a Pioneer SX-212 Stereo Reciever (which I'm having some trouble with as of a few minutes ago). Pumping out sound are two Sony SS-440's and two small EPI's, which my dad has had forever. I'm listening to old Chuck Mangione/Spyro Gyra 8-tracks. It sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by joeydingo
    1967 Klipschorns
    1984 Klipsch Cornwalls
    1979 Klipsch Heresys

People either seem to love or hate the Heritage series speakers from Klipsch. You can tell what side of that fence I'm on..................

That's a nice setup. My bandmates and I used 60's Klipsch's (not sure of the year) but are no longer allowed to use them due to our crime of borrowing our bassist's dad's Hammond B3 when he was taking a vacation in the Adirondacks. Bad move.

Forum Regular
    We have an old house with 22 rooms -- I keep 4 systems going all vintage --down thru the years- I have found some neat stuff pretty cheap -- I move stuff around -- right now syst 1. Dahquist DQ10s -- with a Linn Kairn pre-amp (wow) and a Carver amp -- a Yamaha CD1 is inthis system -- (wow but it is the most finicky thing I own) Syst 2. Marantz receiver Sansui Speaker wit the old wooden grills (cool) Syst 3 ( a lexicon surropund system). JBL 4311s -- crown 3000A -- old sanyo plus pre amp -- lexicon original 5 channel surround processor --sansui receiver for rear channels --polk R25i for surrounds Yamaha AVC to power center channel -- Polk CS101s -- BTW this hodge podge surround system really rocks -- syst 4. another surround -- Carver 880 Receiver ( neat) - Norman Labs Towers for front -- Carver rears and center -- this is a neat system -- I use these electronics to test speakers -- I currently have a couple of Klipsch Heresys hooked up to another Carver amp in the same room -- it is a stupid room -- it is only about 12x12 -- I have about 15 sets of speakers in there and lots of stuff just laying around -- my wife hates it -- but it is every boys dream -- some of it is pretty cheap but some is nice --- oh well the last new piece I bought new other than CD and DVD players was a Yamaha AV1000 integrated amp ( I think it was their first DSP unit) that was about 20 years ago --things have away of moving around and to my wife's dismay -- I bring something old home just about every week -- last week -- a pair of Phase Tech 60 speaker and a really bad pair of AR 3As -- this is fun

AR Newbie Registered Member A.E. Neuman's Avatar
    My stereo system equipment is:

- Marantz 1070 Amp
    - Priboi (Russian) Tube Amp
    - Technics SU-V650 Amp
    - Onkyo DX-7711 CD Player
    - Onkyo DX-6850 CD Player
    - Thorens TD145 MKII Turntable
    - KLH Five Speakers

Marantz, Thorens and KLH were new when I bought them in the seventies, the others were used (and cheap!) later buys. You probably can't call the CD Players "Vintage" but they certainly are robust.
    Who? Me? Worry?

I got a vintage first generation Koestu Black. Sum***** still plays, too, and a Marcof battery powered MC step up transformer that I batteryed up just this past weekend but, regrettably, it remained silent. Think I'm gonna look into that. Got some Kenwood L07 monoblocks from the seventies that I use to drive my stereo set up with TV. Also have an original Counterpoint SA-5 pre amp boxed up cause it needs repair. That's not an oldy as much as it is probably rare.

Lovin' the Pioneer Silver Series Stuff...

Hello, all!

Nice to see a lot of good ole' vintage stuff here...I was beginning to think those of us who love the old stuff were S.O.L.!

I started collecting my Silver Series equipment whilst stationed in England with the USAF in the late '70s. Started with a pair of Pioneer HPM 1100s, coupled with a SPEC-4 power amp and SPEC-1 pre, with a PLL-600 turntable sporting a then-megabuck (almost as much as the turntable at the time: $212) Audio-Technica cartridge - never saw the need for a Linn or other more esoteric turntable, especially as I deployed a LOT.

Later on (MUCH later, as in last year), I added in the RG-7 and RG-9 processors in with my DBX 128 and caught good deals on a mint RG-707 RTR and an equally-mint CTF-1000 cassette deck.

I've also added on a pair of early -90's vintage Magnaplanar SMGs and a pair of Klipsch Quartets, which I use in my garage workroom.

Am in hopes that I'll be able to afford having the SPEC-1&2 completely re-vamped by a firm in New York soon, and follow that up with a vintage Pioneer CD P-70 CD deck to finish my 'set,' as the Philips CD recorder is fine, but doesn't match the rest of the setup.

Finally, while the HPM 1100s rock, I DO love the Apogee/Carver and higher-end Maggies, as they have much better high-end response than my older SMGs. That'd be my one condescension to 'vintage'- a pair of newer speakers for general listening to replace the older Maggies.
    I may have to lose both the Klipsch AND the Maggies in the process, but hey, I want the higher-end freq response the SMGs just can't give...c'est la vie for those who like the older stuff, eh?

I have a Pioneer component setup from the early '80's - all made in Japan, but with black fronts. SA-1270 stereo amp, PL-570 turntable, TX-970 tuner, CT-1170W double cassette deck, CS-D9000 speakers and a 1991 6-CD player - PD-M453. I don't remember what it cost when I bought it, but it was really something! Still plays and looks good as new since no one touched it except me. Any idea what it's all worth today?

I have an old mid 1970's Technics 40wpc integrated amp along with a Hitachi tuner. Also have an old 1980 Yamaha A400 integrated amp. The Technics was and still is a great amp. It was well made and weighs a ton and could crank out the power. It still sounds great. The Yamaha amp is also 40wpc but weighs about 5lbs and is junk.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Just added a Technics SL-1500 (circa 1976) to my vintage collection today.
    Picked it up for $16 at a local thrift just as it was dropped off, it even came with the original owners manual.

Nice goin'

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Just added a Technics SL-1500 (circa 1976) to my vintage collection today.
    Picked it up for $16 at a local thrift just as it was dropped off, it even came with the original owners manual.
    I have an SL-D2, a semi-automatic but otherwise very similar model from '79-'80.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's vintage in your system?-technicssl-d2.jpg  
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-05-2008 at 06:44 PM.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I have an SL-D2, a semi-automatic but otherwise very similar model from '79-'80.
    Thanks.
    I had an entry level Technics table back in the early 80's that I loved so hopefully this will work as well. It had a European plug but after getting an adapter I powered it up it seems fine. Can not tell the type of stylus it has but it looks to be an Audiotechna. Will hook it up and see what happens.

Forum Regular

Whats Vintage in my System?

I have read through all 5 pages of vintage equipment....Definitely some great gear listed!!!!
    but I didnt notice any Great American Sound equipment.... very surprising! Here is my current stereo set ups

Main Stereo:

Ampzilla II Main Amp
    Son of Ampzilla Bridged pushing sub
    GAS Thoebe Preamp
    Sumo Deliliah Crossover
    Magnepan MGIIa speakers

Office Stereo

SAE Mark XXX Preamp
    GAS Grandson x 2

I am obviously partial to GAS equipment and Maggies... Hey, why give up a good thing

Linear Guy

sweet set-up

Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN
    I have read through all 5 pages of vintage equipment....Definitely some great gear listed!!!!
    but I didnt notice any Great American Sound equipment.... very surprising! Here is my current stereo set ups

Main Stereo:

Ampzilla II Main Amp
    GAS Thoebe Preamp
    Sumo Deliliah Crossover
    Magnepan MGIIa speakers

Office Stereo

SAE Mark XXX Preamp
    GAS Grandson x 2

I am obviously partial to GAS equipment and Maggies... Hey, why give up a good thing

I can understand why. I was absolutely blown away litening to GAS equipment for the first time. I would think many owners are still listening to their gear and haven't bothered upgrading. You are going to have a hard time getting a beter sound than you have with that gear. what's your listening preference? What is your source gear?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    I can understand why. I was absolutely blown away litening to GAS equipment for the first time. I would think many owners are still listening to their gear and haven't bothered upgrading. You are going to have a hard time getting a beter sound than you have with that gear. what's your listening preference? What is your source gear?

Thank you for that daviethek!! I just had two people on another thread tell me i need to upgrade my amp if I want to run Magnepans..... I personally agree with you sir! GAS amps with Maggies are magical..... let them drop 8K on a reference amp that doesnt sound much better at all..

My source at this moment is very sad. I need to get a nice turntable. I am ashamed to say but I never got a nice transport or cd player when i built the system. So those are two items on the wish list.........

Musically, I listen to a very odd type of music... although Supertramp "Crime of the Century" sounds great on my stereo..... there is a cd from Nine inch Nails called "pretty hate machine" and you wouldnt believe the crystal clear quality of that cd...So to answer your question I like more modern music such as Dandy Warhols and Fugazi etc.....Regardless I love the sound of anything I put on my Maggies........ I am a younger guy that grew up with my Dad using GAS equipment so its in my blood...... I know when I get my new 3.6 Magnepans I will definitely get a nice turntable and play some great jazz music! What are you running on your system???

Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN
    Ampzilla II Main Amp
    GAS Thoebe Preamp
    Sumo Deliliah Crossover
    Magnepan MGIIa speakers
    Nice setup. A buddy of mine used to drive his Dayton-Wright XG-8s with an Ampzilla and Thaedra.

BTW, wouldn't something like "No-boxman" be more appropriate since you are a planar fan?

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    BTW, wouldn't something like "No-boxman" be more appropriate since you are a planar fan?
    Wouldn't that make him "Boxless"?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information