Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Utmostjamin1

Cool What was the first pair of speakers you ever owned?

I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.

my first pair of speakers i bought for myself i saved up $450 and purchased a pair of Realistic Mach 1's. they were driven by a pioneer intergrated amp with 100 WPC. I was 16 at the time and all my friends were envious of me. i was the only one in my circle of friends to own a pair of speakers with monster thumping woofers. Those speakers lasted all the way into the early 90's. those were fun speakers they were not audiophile speakers
    but they had a ton of fun factor built into them.

my system is ten times better than what i had as a child, but the fun factor isnt as great.
    you know what everyone says radio shack speakers were junk but if you look at the reviews on them on here they are highly rated the only problem with them was foam rot out.
    http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Spea...x.aspx#reviews

A pair of..

Sony's. They came with my first system. Just some big box 3 ways. I thought they were the best in the world at the time.
    I had to get a loan....for $1800.00 for the system...with stand.
    That was 22 years ago. No CD player...they werent out yet...It had a linear LP.

Forum Regular

Geez, I must have been...

...about 12 when I bought a pair of Lafayette Criterions... similar to the Mach Ones you mention.

Six months later I had a small pair of Pioneer HPMs. Slightly better.

By age 14 (1980...yikes!), I found "high end" audio stores, and bought the Boston Acoustics A70s. I can remember lusting after the Alisons and Snells, but the "bang for the buck" was firmly planted in that Boston lineup.

KLH 6s I think that was the model #

Lafayette Criterion 50's.

29.95 each. 8" 2 way (with a 3" tweeter) in a ported cabinet.

Part of my first "real" stereo which also included a Lafayette 224A tube amp (a rip roaran' 6 wpc) and a Garrard AT-60 (with the 1cent Pickering cartridge).

All for the princely sum of $160 or thereabouts in 63 - 64 or so, from snow shoveling and lawn mowing money from the previous few years.

Forum Regular
    My humble journey in Hi-Fi started with a 5.1 set of Onkyo speakers and a Harman Kardon
    receiver. Shortly after realizing that there are actually other speakers out there besides those sold that Circuit City, I then ordered a pair of Acoustic Energy evo1. I then sold these at Audiogon then bought a pair of AE Aesprit 309 ... then a pair of EPOS M12 ...
    and finally a pair of Spendor S8. I now have a total of there pairs at home but using
    on one. The other two are just sitting there collecting dust.

Forum Regular

Ohm Es

My first speakers were Ohm Es powered with a Nikko 5055 Stereo Receiver I bought with college graduation money in 1976. The Ohms are actually still in service in my bedroom and still sound pretty good for 28 year old speakers.

Forum Regular
    My first speakers were sears lxi's,they were actually made by fisher,big,12" wolfers,two 5" midrange,and 2" horn tweeter,I had a little nad reciever,it was about 20 watts rms,a dual turntable with a signet cartridge...that little nad reciever litt those big ole speakers up too,bought everything in 1983,sold the componets to a pal of mine after my speakers were stolen,he still has it,and the little nad still sounds great

Smile Jbl L100

Not counting my first two stereos (Electrophonic three piece units), my first real speakers were JBL L100 Century speakers (early vertical alignment models). They were driven by a Kenwood KR-6160 and I had a Dual 1215 turntable. The Kenwood had to be repaired a couple of times, but it lasted until around 1980. The turntable lasted until maybe 1985.

The L100s are still playing today in my second system upstairs. When I'm on the treadmill, they crank out club mix and dance tracks at high volume and they never, ever miss a beat. After 30+ years, the return on my original $273 a speaker is fantastic.

Forum Regular
    My first pair were Paradigm Titans. I guess that was 7 or 8 years ago, when I was about 14 or 15. I still have them, but they are now relegated to our small computer room. I had been into home audio well before that because my father got me involved. Home audio has been my hobby for a long time.

Forum Regular

First System/Speakers

My first venture into serious audio was a modest system which included:

Advent lage speakers, deluxe model w/rounded edges and wood trim ($149/ea)
    Sharp RT-3388 Computer-Controlled Casette Deck (had music/program search)
    Kenwood 4077 (not positive about the model #) Receiver (40W/ch)

I had the Advents until upgrading to a pair of Polk SDA Compacts, which I immediately returned and replaced with a pair of Klipsch KG4s which I still own today. The Polks kept shutting down a JVC 100W amp I was trying and had to go. The Advents were purchased in 1976 and given to a friend in 1985. Within a year or two he blew the woofer. I don't have any history after that.

The Klipsch' have been an excellent speaker and I will never sell them. I had purchased another pair in 1983, but later sold them to a friend to feed the upgrade monkey I had on my back at the time. I wish I'd never sold them, but still have one pair.

First Speakers...

My first set of speakers were some non-descript JVC three ways. Don't know the model number but they servicable to the point where they're still the main speakers in an ex-girlfriends system some 21 years past their purchase. Went on to Ohm Walsh's and Klipsch after that.

Da Worfster

I've heard alot about Klipsch...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    My first set of speakers were some non-descript JVC three ways. Don't know the model number but they servicable to the point where they're still the main speakers in an ex-girlfriends system some 21 years past their purchase. Went on to Ohm Walsh's and Klipsch after that.

Da Worfster
    Mostly on here. I've had Paradigm reference 100's, now I have Monitor Audio Reference 60's....I wonder if I should try a pair of Klipsch..?

Forum Regular
    I love my Klipsch', but I don't think they're in the same class as the Paradigm Reference Series. I haven't had an opportunity to see Klipsch' new reference line, but I think the Paradigms have better components and build quality. I'd take a pair of Paradigm Reference 100s anytime over a pair of Klipsch RF7's anytime.

I thought so too....

Quote Originally Posted by kfalls
    I love my Klipsch', but I don't think they're in the same class as the Paradigm Reference Series. I haven't had an opportunity to see Klipsch' new reference line, but I think the Paradigms have better components and build quality. I'd take a pair of Paradigm Reference 100s anytime over a pair of Klipsch RF7's anytime.
    Until I got the MA 60's.

JSE
    Sony 3 ways. Big box, big sound, big headache after listening to them for a while. They had 15 inch woofers I think.

JSE

THat's what the wife says....

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Sony 3 ways. Big box, big sound, big headache after listening to them for a while. They had 15 inch woofers I think.

JSE
    My 15 inches gives her a headache,...))

The Collector
    The first pair of speakers I owned were some old 12" 3ways. I don't recall them ever having a name on the cabinet anywhere. My dad used them in the garage then I adopted them. I powered them with a tiny little bookshelf unit and stepped the speaker outputs down (they were only like 8watt outputs) and then used two realistic PA-25's to run them. Souned horrible but it got way too loud. I then got a pair of Optimus LX-10's for $65 on clearence when I worked for radio shack, I still run them occasionally after a few crossover mods and stuff they don't sound too bad. I'm just waiting for my boss to finish the recone on the 15's for my JBL 4430 that were just recently purchased.

Dynaco A25's

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    I have an interesting question, what was the first pair of speakers you owned? how long did they last and did you like them.
    Yes, I liked them, but I think the A25 has a sort of cult following today that it doesn't deserve.

I had them for about a year at which time I traded for AR 7's. IMO the latter had much more resolution and a more natural mid-range at some minor sacrifice of bass.

Forum Regular

first speakers

first speakers where advent 2002 or 4004 something like that. my parents bought them with the help of a friend who helped pick them out. sony 55 watt reciever to drive them , pioneer turntable, sony cassette. then i got the audio bug and bought my first nad 7140 reciever in 1885. ran it with some baby advents that sounded pretty good. then bought some advent legacys and some b&w dm330 . i ran all four speakers with the nad amp it sounded pretty good for a college student at the time. have been using the b&w dm 330 ever since 1987 in my home theature set up ever since and just replaced a few months ago with paradigm studio 60. legacy's are in the garage for jammen when i clean up the garage. anybody want to buy the b&w's all drivers and crossovers replaced with new b&w parts over the years including grills.

My first speakers I "borrowed" from my dad when I left for college. Big Wharfdale 3 ways with 12" woofers and a soft dome tweeter. Solid wood cabinetry and heavier than a floor safe. Powered them with a Marantz 2230.

Two years later I bought my first pair with my own money. Mission 780A Argonauts (dual 8" woofers, soft dome semi-horn loaded tweeter) driven by a B&K ST140/PS Audio 4.6 amp/pre combo that sounded so smooooth! Still have the Missions in my bedroom but now being driven by the good ol' Marantz 2230. No bad for a 30+ year old receiver!

Klipsch and me...

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyx
    Mostly on here. I've had Paradigm reference 100's, now I have Monitor Audio Reference 60's....I wonder if I should try a pair of Klipsch..?
    I don't use Klipsch as main's or surrounds in any of my systems anymore. I do use the Klipsch C7 as my center in my main HT system. I've set up 3 systems for friends and ex's with Klipsch's as rears. The KG series are not hornload and make excellent mains for small systems and rear surrounds for any system. Good, solid, inexpensive speakers that can be had cheap on ebay.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Talking I went with the realistsic mach 1's also

Bought them new in 1977 as a 19 year old kid. I thought they were a lot of fun until my brother brought home a pair of Snell-E2's a few years later. He did his homework and shopped around and bought the sound HE liked. Made me feel bad getting showed up by my little brother and all. His system embarresd mine. (No they were not perfect but I adored the sound) Then I then saw there was more to music than shaking the floor. I loved those Snell's. Well the Mach 1's finally blew in 2001, along with the STA 2000 that powered them. It was a long slow death. Moved on to Meadowlark Audio....Much, much better.... But I still want more....

Nice topic

Cheers!
    Keith C.

Forum Regular

First Speakers

First speakers I bought where a used pair of EPI 201A's for $300.00 Canadian. The EPI 201A came with a pair of 8" woofers in an acoustic suspension alignment and with a pair of 1" polycarbonate tweeters. At first I had a cheap Radio Shack reciever with about 50 watts of power with a built in loudness control that could not be defeated. After a week I bought a Sansui AU-7900 integrated amplifier.

With the Radio Shack reciever the bass was excessive, bloated and muddy all because it came with loudness control that could not be turned off. Once I hooked up the Sansui it was a world of difference, powerfull, clear, accurate and just a very pleasing sound.

The EPI 201A lived all there life in the basement so after 22 years the woofer surround rotted away. Although I could have had the foam replaced locally it was going to cost more than I paid for the speakers, could not accept that it was going to cost more to fix than I paid.

The Sansui lasted 25 years but after two big AC line spikes it died. The first time toasted all the output transitors and I have had it much louder for longer periods and it did not fail. Second time I just threw it out as i figured with it's age other parts where showing there age. My son was watching TV and it has never been as clear since then, also have replaced it. The best laugh I got is when I called the Hydro company, they informed me that I caused the spike and I am responsible for all damage to electronic equipment. As well if it came from there end it did not matter as they are not responsible for power problems.

Now you why the Power company in Ohio did nothing when they knew that there where problems. Well actually they did do something they pointed their fingers at other people. What did that blackout cost in eastern North America, I would guess over 20 billion US and I mean a guess.

Forum Regular
    Worf101, you are mistaken about the KG series not having horns. Almost every one of the KG series has a horn tweeter, from either the Dhorm and 60x40 degree horns in the earlier KG1s, 2s, 4s, to the later ".2" KG series which had the 60x90 degree horns. Horns aren't necessarily the the "kiss of death" I've had my KG4s for close to 25 years and wouldn't trade them for anything. They're not the best speakers I have, but do provide a glimpse of sonic Nirvana and are very musical.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information