Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

StudioLab Reference 1 Speakers

Does anyone know anything about and have an opinion on these speakers. We were in the Studio Lab factory/store today and had a good listen to these and really liked them. We're in the market for a nice set of towers and don't want to spend more than, say, $1500 Canadian after tax. These were aesthetically nice and sounded great. All the reviews I've read are positive but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. We can get them, on sale, within our budget.

Also, what else should I be looking at in this price range.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Does anyone know anything about and have an opinion on these speakers. We were in the Studio Lab factory/store today and had a good listen to these and really liked them. We're in the market for a nice set of towers and don't want to spend more than, say, $1500 Canadian after tax. These were aesthetically nice and sounded great. All the reviews I've read are positive but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. We can get them, on sale, within our budget.

Also, what else should I be looking at in this price range.

Thanks.
    I only know that StudioLab is a Canadian operation that has been around for while; I'd say that they can be consider reputable. Other than that, I can't say I know much about their speakers but they are no doubt a good step up from White Van.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-12-2009 at 08:00 AM.

She'll probably think White Van is a speaker brand
    I don't know anything about Studiolab other than some of their speakers are sold in the local supermarket here. Doesn't sound too promising, but I could be wrong.
    And indeed, i think I am
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/s...erence_one.htm

They use SEAS and peerless drivers. The only concern for me is the small 4.5" bass driver, which may sound a little weak, especially if you like rock.
    Last edited by audio amateur; 07-12-2009 at 05:54 AM.

You're right there AA, there's not a lot of bass in these speakers but there's certainly enough. We compared them to a bassier set of speakers in the store but the Reference 1s had such clarity in the high end that, even with the quieter bass, they sounded more balanced. I could hear sublties in the music with the Reference 1s that I couldn't hear with the other set (not sure which model it was, but they were about $500 cheaper). Could we run the speakers with a sub-woofer when we want to boost the bass?

As for StudioLab itself. We have two sets of speakers from them already. Hubby has a pair that's about 30 yrs old that needs to be refoamed (but we'll probably replace the whole driver). And we have a really nice set of bookshelf speakers that we use for our main system, which were what we could afford at the time we bought them and what we will be replacing with the towers. I like that they are a Canadian company and a family owned business. It was Mike Vince who was helping us in the store yesterday. There's no question that if we were to have any problems with the speakers that we would get exceptional service...which carries some weight in our decision.

I don't know much about speakers and what to look for. And I don't know what else to look at in our price range. So I'm turning to the folks here for some guidance.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for and listening to speakers, is if a speaker tends to grab your attention in the mid and high frequencies it may cause listener fatigue later on when you have been listening for many hours. This is not always the case but certainly something to keep in mind. Bright speakers have a habit of doing this and then they sound irritating later on. Many times the speaker that does not draw attention to itself is the more neutral one and a better choice that will reveal itself to the listener as you listen over time with many genres of music.

Have you had a chance to listen to PSB or Paradigm. They are two of the biggest speaker companies in Canada and make some terrific speakers for very reasonable prices.

Also try and listen to as many speakers as you can and spend the extra time. It will ensure you make the best decision and are not stuck with something that doesn't sound so great later on.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

That's seems like sound advice (pun not intended) anamorphic. I wouldn't have thought about getting tired of a speaker, but I can see how that could happen. I'm not familiar with PSBs, but I definately want to spend some time listening to Paradigms. I didn't realized that they were a Canadian company...not that that's a requirement in this purchase.

What do you think of Bose speakers? Just kidding.

It was funny though, when we were in StudioLab some guy walked in off the street and said to the sales guy, "I just want your opinion, I just bought a set of Bose speakers and there's another set on sale now, what do you think of those two sets?" Hubby and I had to turn our backs on the guy so that he wouldn't see us laughing. The StudioLab guy was very diplomatic but brutally honest. I don't think the guy off the street was very appreciative...but, hey, he asked!

Do check out the PSB line. I've auditioned the T series but the Stratus is one step above and recommended if you can swing it.

If you want to listen all day long and still want more, these maybe the ones for you.

Edit: Here's a link to find a dealer in your area

http://www.psbspeakers.com/dealers/canada
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

That's a great link LDB! It shows me a lot more electronic stores nearby than I knew of. And one of the suppliers it shows in our neighbourhood sells both PSB and Paradigms, according to their website. I'll check out a few stores over the next few weeks though to check out different brands.

How does the whole audition thing work? Should I be taking speakers home to hear them before making any final decisions? Should I be taking the room dimensions with me when I shop? I know that the room can make a big difference in sound.

I know that I have to go and hear them, but any opinions on these?

PSB Image T55 (Maple)
    Fantastically efficient and crisp tower speakers. Bass to 32 Hz! Reg. $1400 : NOW ONLY $700 Display units: Full 5 year warranty!

PSB GT1 / GB1 / GC1
    G-Design series speakers, full set or individually. Piano black finish. Reg. $1900 / $950 / $700 : NOW ONLY $1100 / $550 / $400
    Display units: Full 5 year warranties!

What do you think of Bose speakers?
    They are a step up from White Van speakers.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    They are a step up from White Van speakers.
    Thank you for your invaluable insight.

Thank you for your invaluable insight.
    There goes another sarcasm detector. These things don't grow on trees yaknow.

Edit: Are you showing me your,.. uh...
    .....your... uhm...

Nevermind.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I know that I have to go and hear them, but any opinions on these?

PSB Image T55 (Maple)
    Fantastically efficient and crisp tower speakers. Bass to 32 Hz! Reg. $1400 : NOW ONLY $700 Display units: Full 5 year warranty!

PSB GT1 / GB1 / GC1
    G-Design series speakers, full set or individually. Piano black finish. Reg. $1900 / $950 / $700 : NOW ONLY $1100 / $550 / $400
    Display units: Full 5 year warranties!
    I think you will find the G-Design to be a bit more refined and neutral of the two. I listened to the T-55s and the T-65s as they were within my budget at the time, I went home with the G-Designs nonetheless.

Happy hunting.

BTW FA, If you decide to go with the G-Design and are wanting a 5.1 system, I have a GC-1 center channel speaker with very, very low milage I could let go at a great price.

I wish that G-design came in a natural wood. Piano black just won't go with our decor.

I'll keep that centre speaker in mind. We have a really nice StudioLab centre speaker that we bought because we got a great boxing day deal on it (and it matched our front speakers). But it's about nine years old and is freakin' huge! Very nice sound though. We don't even have it hooked up at the moment because there isn't room for it in our current TV stand.

Hubby and I are going to check out the PSBs and Paradigms tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

FA - The PSB G-Design series are less efficient and would need a good amp to drive them where as the T55 would probably be an easier match to most amps or receivers.

May we ask what kind of amp or receiver you will be driving these speakers with ?

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    FA - The PSB G-Design series are less efficient and would need a good amp to drive them where as the T55 would probably be an easier match to most amps or receivers.

May we ask what kind of amp or receiver you will be driving these speakers with ?
    Currently we're using a JVC receiver (I don't know the model number but it's a higher end receiver for JVC) because my husband works for JVC and we got a decent refurb super cheap a few years back when we had no money for equipment. The receiver will be upgraded after we purchase the speakers. I thought that it made sense to buy the speakers first and then buy a compatible receiver/amp rather than the other way around.

My old Denon 2807 (110wpc) pushed the Gs as loud as I ever wanted them with ease.

FA, the GC-1 is a friggin huge center speaker also but does a superb job for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    My old Denon 2807 (110wpc) pushed the Gs as loud as I ever wanted them with ease.

FA, the GC-1 is a friggin huge center speaker also but does a superb job for what it is.
    I stand corrected. I looked at the specs for the G-Design again and they are only 6 ohms with 4 ohm dips. I thought I remember my GB-1's being 4 ohms nominal.

She should be ok with the JVC until she gets a new receiver.

I stand corrected. I looked at the specs for the G-Design again and they are only 6 ohms with 4 ohm dips. I thought I remember my GB-1's being 4 ohms nominal.
    I have no idea what that means anamorphic. I just know what my ears like.

She should be ok with the JVC until she gets a new receiver.
    That's good news. I'm going to check the model number and look up the specs when I get home. It would suck to buy speakers that I don't have the power to play right away. Although I generally don't turn the volume up as high as I used to. My husband has hearing problems and it's made me painfully aware of how valuable my hearing is.

But it's nice to have the option.

I have no idea what that means anamorphic. I just know what my ears like.

That's good news. I'm going to check the model number and look up the specs when I get home. It would suck to buy speakers that I don't have the power to play right away. Although I generally don't turn the volume up as high as I used to. My husband has hearing problems and it's made me painfully aware of how valuable my hearing is.

But it's nice to have the option.
    Keep us posted on the ones you like and we will make sure they work with what you have.

If you get a chance it would be great to know the model number of the JVC so the specs could be looked up.

Have fun listening !!!

If you get a chance it would be great to know the model number of the JVC so the specs could be looked up.

Have fun listening !!!
    RX-6030V

http://www.jvc.ca/www/Consumer/produ...f=RX-6030V&d=1

Thanks for all your help!

What I did on my trip to the Audio Store...

We walked in and told the salesman what we were looking for and our price range. He recommended the Paradigm Monitor 7's. We spent a good long time listening to them. They were very nice and well priced at $900 before wheeling and dealing. I found them a little bright but a lot fuller than the StudioLabs that we heard on Sunday for a few hundred less.

Then I asked to hear the PSB T45s. Which looked like a comparable speaker for $1100. They sounded a lot different than the M7s. Not as bright, a little more bass, but they didn't have the same clarity. I thought that I liked them better because of the more bassy sound. I generally prefer mid to low range sounds.

The sales guy played a song on the T45s and I was digging them. Then he played the same song on the M7s and the clarity and separation of sounds on the M7s made me realize how muddled the T45s sounded in comparison.

I didn't bother with the T55s as the salesman would have had to physically move them for us to hear them, plus the cabinets are pretty big and we were concerned about them eating too much space in our small living room.

So I liked the clarity and warmth of the M7s but they were a little too high-end sounding. I liked the lower ranges of the T45s but missed the clarity. What to do, what to do.

Bring in the Paradigm Studio 60's. Like a good salesman should, he asked whether we would be willing to stretch our budget if he could give us a good price on the next level of speakers. I said...let's hear 'em! As hubby shook his head.

We went into a listening room where all the pretty Studio speakers were lined up. He played that same song on the 60's and I was in love! They brought together all the things that I liked in the M7s and the T45s in one beautiful looking cabinet. I made him promise not to play the Studio 100's for me. That would be treading very dangerous territory.

The bottom line is that I'm in love with the Studio 60's. Hubby likes them too but he thinks that they're overkill for the room. They probably are, but I'm picturing cranking them through the whole house...not just one room. The sticker price on the 60's was $2300. The price offered was $1800. Hubby thinks they're too expensive. I know we can afford them. The salesman also knows that at some point we'll need to upgrade our amp and CD player and wants to build a relationship with us to help us build our system over time. I liked him. I'm game. Now I just have to convince Hubby that we should spend the extra money for the Studio 60's.

If we're now considering stretching the budget, is there anything else we should be listening to?
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 07-13-2009 at 06:23 PM.

We walked in and told the salesman what we were looking for and our price range. He recommended the Paradigm Monitor 7's. We spent a good long time listening to them. They were very nice and well priced at $900 before wheeling and dealing. I found them a little bright but a lot fuller than the StudioLabs that we heard on Sunday for a few hundred less.

Then I asked to hear the PSB T45s. Which looked like a comparable speaker for $1100. They sounded a lot different than the M7s. Not as bright, a little more bass, but they didn't have the same clarity. I thought that I liked them better because of the more bassy sound. I generally prefer mid to low range sounds.

The sales guy played a song on the T45s and I was digging them. Then he played the same song on the M7s and the clarity and separation of sounds on the M7s made me realize how muddled the T45s sounded in comparison.

I didn't bother with the T55s as the salesman would have had to physically move them for us to hear them, plus the cabinets are pretty big and we were concerned about them eating too much space in our small living room.

So I liked the clarity and warmth of the M7s but they were a little too high-end sounding. I liked the lower ranges of the T45s but missed the clarity. What to do, what to do.

Bring in the Paradigm Studio 60's. Like a good salesman should, he asked whether we would be willing to stretch our budget if he could give us a good price on the next level of speakers. I said...let's hear 'em! As hubby shook his head.

We went into a listening room where all the pretty Studio speakers were lined up. He played that same song on the 60's and I was in love! They brought together all the things that I liked in the M7s and the T45s in one beautiful looking cabinet. I made him promise not to play the Studio 100's for me. That would be treading very dangerous territory.

The bottom line is that I'm in love with the Studio 60's. Hubby likes them too but he thinks that they're overkill for the room. They probably are, but I'm picturing cranking them through the whole house...not just one room. The sticker price on the 60's was $2300. The price offered was $1800. Hubby thinks they're too expensive. I know we can afford them. The salesman also knows that at some point we'll need to upgrade our amp and CD player and wants to build a relationship with us to help us build our system over time. I liked him. I'm game. Now I just have to convince Hubby that we should spend the extra money for the Studio 60's.
    The Studio 60's are a wonderful speaker and have always been one of Paradigm's best speakers. One thing to keep in mind though is they really like good amplification to sound their best. Your JVC will do the job but you will not be be realizing their full potential with it. It will be kind a like having a Corvette with a 4 cylinder engine. I don't mean to be rude or mean I just like to be honest so your not disapointed. I use to own the Studio 40's and noticed a big improvement when I upgraded to better amplification. When you look into receivers in the future make sure you look at something with a solid amp section. The midrange Denon and Marantz units would be a good choice.

Another option would be to go with the M9's. They recently received a glowing review in the Absolute Sound. So they might be worth looking at.

Chicago IL
    I have one StudioLab speaker home in great condition but I don't know anything about it! It doesn't even say the model on it nothing!

Here you can see a picture of it! Can you tell me the exact model and how much it goes for?

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...Lab%20Speaker/
    Last edited by dakatabg; 07-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information