Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magnepan
    Well what kind of owner am I? Never thought of that, but lets see. I am an owner who has some serious equipment along with speakers that are considered by more people than any other speaker to be ontop of whats possible in music reproduction.

If your maestro has a Scintilla because they want to compare it to the best, well than you already know what kind of owner i am. Also my Scintilla's have new handmade precision crafted ribbons incl. new internal wiring, better feet and chassis. She is better than the originals in a lot of ways.

Now i have heard you AN-K before on Bluecirlce and i told you that i was not impressed. I read good things about AN electronics, but have never heard them. you just have to accept the fact that we do not like your 135K wodden MDF box!!

Do you really think that my 8K $ 3.6R/SE or 10K $ Scintilla sounds 16875 times worse than your AN-K..... they are freaking overprized like hell !!!

I listen very critically, and i am only 21 yrs old. If i find something better than i am sure i will own it someday, but i have not heard a speaker that sounds like life anywhere exept for the Apogee and a perfectly setup 20.1..eventough the Apogee is still better..

You know the reviews of the Scintilla, and you know exaclty what they are capable off. I am not saying that the AN speakers are bad, but man there are other products out there too.
    Ahh I see so I should judge the maggie 20 off hearing the Magie SMG is that right?

Yes I am not saying the Scintilla is bad either...but Planars have more porblems than they are worth to me and very few benefits-- and that Scintilla does not have an in room measured response dead flat to 20hz-- get real -- it does not even beat the AN E -- Yes a lot of folks like planars so what? A lot of folks like the Bose 901 too.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    An excerpt from a previous post

It will be good idea to go and reread your old posts so that you do not misquote yourself , a photo of a single Avant Garde hardly translates into 100s of competitor's products, does it? I failed to notice the 100s of competitor's products in the photo ?
    Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit with anal SOBS.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Besides if you own 100's of competitors speakers, than you would need a huge storage room and literaly 100's of electronics combinations and cables. Because its damn unfair to compare your speaker to another one when using matched electronics to your system but not matching components on the competitiors system.

I am sorry my friend, but AN seems like a freaking ripoff and a huge maerketing machine just like BOSE. Ok the sound better than BOSE and are surelly in the High END realm, but i still dont like what i read and heard so far.
    A huge marketing engine eh? They don't advertise, they have no product literature, they let reviewers review it by request -- not the begging and pleading and providing free Seiko watches or free componants others have done. Get real then some dimbulbs will say well they have a web-site and that's advertising...get real -- hell AN didn't even make the site a fan did and Peter doesn't update it - because they have no Marketing department! It's not needed -- good sound will sell - if you like it you go tot he website and it will tell you about their belief systems. Yes it's so over the top like Bose --- Magnepan does a far harder hard sell than AN -- in fact most every stereo company of even moderate size advertises more than AN.

The Scintilla is rated:

Type: three-way full-range ribbon dipole
    Frequency response: 30 to 25,000Hz, ±3 dB
    Recommended minimum amplifier power rating:
    100 watts/channel

Add to this horrible impedence loads and one is forced to buy a big watt amplifier (few are any good) If you can stand the sound of Krell you'll need one for these speakers but at least Krell operates in a pseudo class A - which ti doesn;t even though they try and claim it does --- there's an advertising gimmick. Not to mention the buildquality was poor and they had what was known as the great "panel wearing problem" and with no Apogee dealers to help you out.

Planars have a sound that some people will like and like Stats I get why they do -- but this bloke reviewed the AN E/D which si the cheapest speakers he comments on -- and if you actually bother to read the review -- you'll note that he ALSO very much likes Apogee -- he STILL owns a pair...the reason I post enthusiastically is that they remind me of the good stuff that stats do well -- but IMO they also do what good horns do well. This review is of an older E/D which was made of chipboard -- they now make the bottom of the line out of birch ply - They use SEAS woofers which is one of the very best driver makers in the world and Foster tweeeters which are lesser known here and cannot be bought by the general public the AN K uses Vifa throughout which is also good but not SEAS. http://www.stereotimes.com/speak071701.shtm

Peter used to be dealer have you? He has been to and listened to virtually everything that has been considered good over the last 40 years+ and has listened to live music in places you've probably not even heard of -- he has a personal music collection that is over 70,000 strong. i'm not telling you what you SHOULD like -- I could care less -- but stop trying to insuate they're cheap or cost nothing to make. My dealer had the maggie 20 - so they must have been at least very very good because he paid his own money to buy them.
    Last edited by RGA; 04-03-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Ahh I see so I should judge the maggie 20 off hearing the Magie SMG is that right?

Yes I am not saying the Scintilla is bad either...but Planars have more porblems than they are worth to me and very few benefits-- and that Scintilla does not have an in room measured response dead flat to 20hz-- get real -- it does not even beat the AN E -- Yes a lot of folks like planars so what? A lot of folks like the Bose 901 too.
    I guess i shouldnt have listened to all the owners of Scintillas and to the profesional reviewers that measure them down to 20Hz....

you right, ill buy a 60K MDF BOX.....

--------------------------------------------------------------NOT
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Forum Regular
    The early Scintillas were were configurable for a 1 or 4ohm load, the later models were 1ohm only (from 1987 approximately). While the 4ohm setting on the earlier models made the Speaker considerably easier to drive, according to the reviewers in doing so lost some of it's "magic".

The Krells were made for the Apogee's and sound there best on them. Krell's and Apogee's are a awsome match. Or the new H2O Amp's from Henry.

The 1ohm setting is very vicious indeed, it has been reported to me that a Krell 250a (the recent "cheap" power amp from Krell) expired whilst trying!

I wouldnt put some crap as a AN AMP on there, thats because this speaker will seperate the MAN from the boys.

Still considered by some to be one of the best speakers in terms of vocal reproduction with crystal clear treble and very well extended bass, reaching a true 20Hz in test.

Man, i guess i need to buy a AN speaker to get that cool MDF sound which gets amplified by the wall resonances that every professional person tries to avoid, since the waves loose signal strength and early reflections are not what i want.

We preferred the very expensive Krell mono KMA-100 ($4,900/pair) and 200watt KMA-200 ($7,500/pair) amplifiers for driving the Scintillas. We used them in a bi-amplified fashion (a pair of KMA-100s for midrange and tweeter, a pair of KMA-200s for the woofers), which produced the widest dynamic range. At 1 ohm, the KMA-100 is claimed to deliver 800 watts per channel and the KMA-200 puts out 1,600 watts per channel. A single pair of Krells were "bi-wired" (two speaker cables connected to each amplifier output terminal) to each Scintilla's double set of speaker posts: SPL measurements showed Scintilla output peaks of 94 dB (KMA-100s) and 98 dB (KMA-200s) at audible clipping. No change in tonal character or sudden presence effects were heard at 1 ohm-just sweet, open, detailed sound. Dan D'Agostino, the Krells' designer, uses the Apogees as a test load. The Classé Audio DR-3 amp also performs beautifully at the low-impedance setting.

Well looky here, only Krell and Classe sounds good on these at that time. Your AN dealer uses the Apogees on a 4ohm load since non of the AMP from AN will push these on 1ohm which sucks because they loose their magic when driven in 4ohms.

Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector

Forum Regular
    Give us all a brake with that stupid overprized junk for godssake. And there is no reason for your Maestro to own Apogee's since they are not made anymore. He likes them better than his AN stuff and thats why he has it, needs some quality in his life.

Besides, they have a huge marketing machine with over 2000 post. YOU!!! You advertise it on every freaking page for gods sake!!!
    System2:

Forum Regular
    On a serious note, i could care less what some idiot reviews no matter what speaker it is. But your flooding the entire freaking website with AudioNote stuff, and it pisses me off. You do not need to say anything if they are that good. You have to accept that just like SoundLab, Apogee, Magnepan or QUAD you have a product made for a small group of fans. Even Magnepan is a very large company and sells the most planars in the world (a lot more speakers than AN) they are still small compared to others.

Just stop advertising and writing some stupid opiniated crap everywhere. I can flood the forum too with raving post from Magnepan, SoundLab and Apogee.

-Flo
    System2:

It's just a hobby

Lightbulb All you need to do is stop exaggeration and hyperbole

Original Post
    I'm surprised because my dealer sold his maggie 20 for the E/LX and Peter Q currently owns the Apogee Scintilla --- if you're in England you can hear them directly against each other. Peter owns 100s of competitors components precisely for such demos.
    and your new rendering

Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit...
    No, all you need to do is stop exaggeration and hyperbole.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 04-04-2005 at 08:45 AM.

If i would say that i have a Apogee Fullrange on 4 Krell MRA blocks, than you would say that your maestro has them too. Let me guess he also own ML Statements and the big Kharmas.....gimma a break
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I guess i shouldnt have listened to all the owners of Scintillas and to the profesional reviewers that measure them down to 20Hz....

you right, ill buy a 60K MDF BOX.....

--------------------------------------------------------------NOT
    The quote I gave you was measured by Stereophile -- Are they professional. You're easily led.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    If i would say that i have a Apogee Fullrange on 4 Krell MRA blocks, than you would say that your maestro has them too. Let me guess he also own ML Statements and the big Kharmas.....gimma a break
    No actually I don't know each and every piece he owns but I do know in an exchange on another forum with another oposter that he has or had at that time the Scintilla -- he sold them so he must of felt they were good and had some merit worth being studied. The Scintilla was not THAT expensive as I recall and if he bought them as a dealer then it would have been at dealer costs. Audio Shows can determine much as well -- but planars are extremely difficult to set up properly (so Lord magnepan whining about the room with a boxed speaker makes zero sense since planars ARE one of if not the absolute worst speakers for room needs going) -- probably why Peter bought them to use.

Going on about MDF still is funny as they are made from real wood...attacking a speaker using MDF you've insulted pretty much everyone on this forum that owns a boxed speaker.

Ohh and just to burst your bubble from Magnepan:

"While the drivers are being built, so are the other components of each speaker. The speaker frames are precision machined on a CNC lathe from sheets of MDF, after which they are painted black to be less visually obtrusive.../...Drivers are mounted into the MDF frames and wired to the crossovers. The grilles are stretched over the frames, and the rear hardware is added, including trip pots for the drivers."

So it seems magnepan is using that crappy MDF you hate so much!

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Original Post
    Originally Posted by RGA
    I'm surprised because my dealer sold his maggie 20 for the E/LX and Peter Q currently owns the Apogee Scintilla --- if you're in England you can hear them directly against each other. Peter owns 100s of competitors components precisely for such demos.

and your new rendering
    Originally Posted by RGA
    Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit...

No, all you need to do is stop exaggeration and hyperbole.
    Yep thats RGA,,Willing to outright lie in order to shill AN...

RGA...you are such a n00bie.

So it seems magnepan is using that crappy MDF you hate so much!
    the funny thing is that they actually use cherry wood, and even if they use cheap MDF,.....who cares?!?! They have no chassie!! Unlike your ****ty AN-----Maggies do not hava box !!!!

And besided that, now he sold the Apogee Scintilla as soon as i mention it.

You are so full of crap and you know why? The Scinitlla was build from 1987 to 1992 and had 2 different versions. Your dumb dealer cant get **** for a dealer price because the company closed in 98!!!

Man, this ticks me off. Dont you get it that noone likes your ****head advertisment anymore ?!!?

PS: Next time you say some **** about Planars, and least realize that they dont have a box....N00B on the loose
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information