Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

vinyl + surround sound ?

Hello. This is my first post and I have a few questions.

I have a belt drive SL-20 technics with a large vinyl collection. Currently I am using a cheap Memorex preamp (Best Buy) connected to a computer speaker system. I want to get a descent receiver with speakers to fully enjoy my vinyl. I would also like a new preamp.

I have an HD television and a Playstation 3, so would like a receiver with HDMI, but I am wondering if it would be better to just buy a receiver and speaker system for my turn table and then worry about the high definition components during a later purchase.

I am transitioning into my second year of medical school, so I do not have much time or money, hence my budget is not very high; I'd say about $500. Let me know if this is an unreasonable budget and then I may change it.

Thank you for your future replies.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Welcome to AR!

I would say most here prefer to keep H/T and 2 channel seperate. If you are indeed able to buy some H/T gear at a later time, go that route and focus on the TT for now. You're just using the TV's speakers for now, or is that hooked into the comp speakers too?

Staying with the 2 channel route...

There's two ways you can go, you can try and find an amp, new or used, with a phono stage built in already. You could also buy something and add an external stage to it. The latter will require more money. Many guys here will have a host of solutions but my gut says to find a quality used amp/receiver with a built in phono stage and spend the rest of your budget on some decent speakers.

Where are you located? Let me know and we can search locally to you for something. Generally, there are some nice vintage amps up for grabs which will give you a nice foot into high fidelity. Are you familiar with Marantz? As an example, you could find yourself a decent Marantz with a built in phono stage for $75 - 100.

You could still opt for an external phono stage to increase the quality, www.needledoctor.com has a superb sale on an Audio Technica stage for $40 right now.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-D...&category=-112

So let's figure you now have spent $140, you have $360 left for some reasonable speakers. This is important and most will agree you should try and focus most of a budget on speakers. Needle Doctor also has a highly regarded pair of Mordaunt Short 902i on sale for $225, great deal.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Mordaunt...&category=-112

So with shipping that will come in a bit under $300 I presume. Your budget is now at $440. In this instance, since you're shopping at Needle Doctor, you could use the balance to grab an accessory for you table or maybe just hit the local shop for some tasty new vinyl.

There's a few different routes you can take to get your outcome. This is just an example to show you that you have enough cash to set up a fine analog rig. get back to me with your location...

Welcome to AR barbarian. PC has given you some (IMO) good advice.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Welcome to AR...and don't forget to consider the turntable and cartridge in your plans. I don't mean any disrespect to your current turntable, but there are better options.

poppachubby, I appreciate the quality response you have provided. I am currently living in Cherry Hill, NJ, about 15 minutes outside Philadelphia. I am wondering what your opinion is about the Tech SL-20. I understand it is not the champion of TTs; but should I allocate some of my budget in pursuit of a first-class TT? What about a cartridge? I have included two photographs. Thank you once again for your sterling advice.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Welcome to AR!

I would say most here prefer to keep H/T and 2 channel seperate. If you are indeed able to buy some H/T gear at a later time, go that route and focus on the TT for now. You're just using the TV's speakers for now, or is that hooked into the comp speakers too?

Staying with the 2 channel route...

There's two ways you can go, you can try and find an amp, new or used, with a phono stage built in already. You could also buy something and add an external stage to it. The latter will require more money. Many guys here will have a host of solutions but my gut says to find a quality used amp/receiver with a built in phono stage and spend the rest of your budget on some decent speakers.

Where are you located? Let me know and we can search locally to you for something. Generally, there are some nice vintage amps up for grabs which will give you a nice foot into high fidelity. Are you familiar with Marantz? As an example, you could find yourself a decent Marantz with a built in phono stage for $75 - 100.

Yes, absolutely Yes.
    in fact, I just found (literally, found it on a recycling park, so it even was free) a vintage Luxman R-800 receiver, which was their top of the line receiver when it came out int 74.
    works perfectly, only replaced the bulbs, this thing puts many modern receivers to shame.
    currently using it as my 'radio amp', driving 2 advent speakers...

you can sometimes find good things on garage sales, pawn shops, ... ebay, craiglist, "the neighbor that accidentally happens to have this 'old worthless stereo gear' that he wants to get rid of, and that happens to be better than he originally thought" (happens to me a lot )

and on the phono stage, a good vintage receiver has a good phonostage, the one in my luxman is excellent, and definitely better than my pro-ject phonobox, which costs $100, so you can even save on that too...

For speakers, there is lot out there too, if you decide to go used there too, definitely check ebay and others for Large Advents, they never disappointed me

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian
    poppachubby, I appreciate the quality response you have provided. I am currently living in Cherry Hill, NJ, about 15 minutes outside Philadelphia. I am wondering what your opinion is about the Tech SL-20. I understand it is not the champion of TTs; but should I allocate some of my budget in pursuit of a first-class TT? What about a cartridge? I have included two photographs. Thank you once again for your sterling advice.
    Hey barbarian. No sweat with the advice. Keep in mind any of the guys here would have done the same, I just saw you first. There is a small but dedicated analog community here at AR. The other great thing about "us", is there is a great range of tables and gear.

I purposely avoided discussion about your table. As far as Technics go, it's not a revered model. Personally I would stay away from anything belt driven from Technics. Their niche has always been direct drive technology, and they do it fantastically. I personally own an SL-Q2 which I use in my computer system. It's inputted into my soundcard, and comes out of my DAC into my amp. I use it to listen and rip LP's. It's speed stability is why I love it.

If we are going to look at your turntable also, it's going to change the dynamic of your spending ability. As much as I don't care for your table, or cart for that matter, is it functioning properly? Does it hold it's speed (for the most part)? We could leave it alone and keep the focus on everything else. Then upgrade later. I wouldn't be able to live with that table, but it's you who must make the call.

The reality is, you could probably buy a used TT to better this one, for around $50. The cart is another matter, you'll be into at least $75....BUT..you'll be rewarded greatly.

If you are inexperienced with speakers, I wouldn't suggest buying used. We can give you some solid buyer's advice, but I think this is one area you may want to consider buying new.

I'm going to look at the Philly CL now. BTW, JoeESP9 is from Philly also. He posted in this thread. He could be helpful here. I'm thinking he could help you with the speaker end of things. Maybe some local shops, etc.

This guy is selling a couple of wonderful amps. See if he will sell you just one, and for how much. With either of these, you could skip the external phono stage and just plug into the amp. The 2250B is a powerful and dynamic performer.
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/1648995470.html

And another beauty...
    http://reading.craigslist.org/ele/1658258410.html

Here's an old TT that would easily outperform your Technics. You could probably offer less than $50 and with a bit of love, you're gold. I am spinning with a similar type of table right now.
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/1627493305.html

I own this exact model, really nice little performer for the price...
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1647976308.html

Start with these barbarian. Let me know which way you want to go. If you want to get a TT also or not. From these results, jump on the 2230B for $100 and the Pioneer PL-516. We can discuss speakers once we know how much of your budget will be available. BTW, don't lowball but offer a bit less in each case. I have to say, the 2230B is worth the price if it's fully functional and clean, which it appears to be.

Thank you all for joining the discussion.

I am on my way to the Berlin Farmer's Flea Market right now as well as some thrift stores with all of your suggestions in mind. Maybe I will find some treasures.

poppachubby thank you again for taking the time to research CL listings; I will definitely email about the Marantz 2230b and hope to get a positive reply. I will let you know once I have a descent receiver + TT. Which cart do you recommend at this time?

Thanks again!

I'll be a dissenting voice. On such a tight budget, I'd start with the HDMI receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Something like the Onkyo TX-SR507 and the Mordaunt Short speakers would get you going, within the budget, and you'd be maximizing features like HDMI. As money allows, you could add speakers and upgrade.

My first path of upgrade from there would probably be a cartridge like the Shure M97XE, Audio-Technica AT95E or Nagaoka MP-11 and perhaps the AT phono preamp...although I would probably be more inclined to hold out for a Cambridge Audio 640P or Musical Fidelity V-LPS. That's not to mention the turntable...which holds a vast array of options on the used market...too many to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I'll be a dissenting voice. On such a tight budget, I'd start with the HDMI receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Something like the Onkyo TX-SR507 and the Mordaunt Short speakers would get you going, within the budget, and you'd be maximizing features like HDMI. As money allows, you could add speakers and upgrade.

My first path of upgrade from there would probably be a cartridge like the Shure M97XE, Audio-Technica AT95E or Nagaoka MP-11 and perhaps the AT phono preamp...although I would probably be more inclined to hold out for a Cambridge Audio 640P or Musical Fidelity V-LPS. That's not to mention the turntable...which holds a vast array of options on the used market...too many to mention.

Good advice. It's a tough line to tow when H/T and 2 channel are both involved. Mix in a small budget and it gets a bit hazy.

barbarian I like audionoob's route, again you must decide where the priorities lie, and we can help with the details.

I like noob's short list of carts. I would add the Ortofon OMB-10 which is very affordable quality. It also has an upgradable stylus (needle) so the fidelity can be further improved.

Thank you all for joining the discussion.

I am on my way to the Berlin Farmer's Flea Market right now as well as some thrift stores with all of your suggestions in mind. Maybe I will find some treasures.

poppachubby thank you again for taking the time to research CL listings; I will definitely email about the Marantz 2230b and hope to get a positive reply. I will let you know once I have a descent receiver + TT. Which cart do you recommend at this time?

Thanks again!
    As PC said I live in Phila. You don't have enough posts to receive PM's yet. As soon as you do, expect one from me. I think the magic number is 5.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

yes, true,

but a marantz 2230 will sound many many times better than the onky ever will, it will most likely run longer, and could be sold again without losing any value (in the contrary, actually).
    that, and there's no need for a phono preamp, so that saves money again. in the meanwhile, he could save on, and get a somewhat more decent HT amp...

my money would go to the marantz - no doubt.

just my 2 cents...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    yes, true,

but a marantz 2230 will sound many many times better than the onky ever will, it will most likely run longer, and could be sold again without losing any value (in the contrary, actually).
    that, and there's no need for a phono preamp, so that saves money again. in the meanwhile, he could save on, and get a somewhat more decent HT amp...

my money would go to the marantz - no doubt.

just my 2 cents...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I still definitely disagree...100%. The 2230 will not, in my opinion, sound "many many times better". That's quite an exaggeration. It might sound a little better, but it's going to require some good gear around it to make that happen. In the meantime, the OP already has a phono preamp on hand. A new HT receiver would have HDMI, multi-channel surround capability, a remote and modern technology in general. The 2230 has no features to make use of the higher level of sound quality that the PS3 can provide with its capability to read DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD or any surround capability. Which one will run longer is pure speculation. Sure, the 22 series were very well-made receivers, but they are over 30 years old now and have the likelihood of requiring some maintenance.

I still definitely disagree...100%. The 2230 will not, in my opinion, sound "many many times better". That's quite an exaggeration. It might sound a little better, but it's going to require some good gear around it to make that happen. In the meantime, the OP already has a phono preamp on hand. A new HT receiver would have HDMI, multi-channel surround capability, a remote and modern technology in general. The 2230 has no features to make use of the higher level of sound quality that the PS3 can provide with its capability to read DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD or any surround capability. Which one will run longer is pure speculation. Sure, the 22 series were very well-made receivers, but they are over 30 years old now and have the likelihood of requiring some maintenance.

I have a near 40 year old luxman here that measures & sounds better than my modern denon integrated amp... nothing has been done to it...

the only maintenance I did to it was use some deoxit on the potentiometers...
    and the Marantz 22 series were very good made indeed, I'd prefer it over a modern HT amp in the league of that particular onkyo, even though it doesn't have a remote, the home theater features, ...
    home theater features which of course, you'll only have benefit from when you actually have 5 speakers, but he'll start out with stereo speakers...

just saying, the onkyo will fall short sooner or later, it's not stable enough to drive 2 speakers with a 4 ohm impedance, or heavy impedance fluctuations, this all limits the choice for future upgrades.
    on the other hand, the marantz, will offer you good sound, will drive speakers more easily, will have a better phono stage, and, if you decide to upgrade, you can sell it for the same money or even more than you originally bought it for, while you'll have a hard time trying to do the same with the onkyo, if you can sell it for a decent price, that is...

about the "which will run longer", it's a speculation indeed, but in all honesty, I'd more trust a well made vintage receiver than a cheap modern amp. but of course, I had bad experiences with that already, so I might be biased...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

If the OP hadn't indicated his ability to buy more gear soon, I think noob's route would be imperative. There are several ways he can proceed. Which way he goes is clearly up to him. If he ends up with his needs fulfilled then it's job done IMO.

In my first post I asked about his TV and how he was listening to it. I figured if he has some means of HT, he can live without until he's able to upgrade. In the meantime, he can have a kick azz TT set up, with speakers that can be integrated into an HT set up.

I have a near 40 year old luxman here that measures better than my modern denon integrated amp... nothing has been done to it...

the only maintenance I did to it was use some deoxit on the potentiometers...
    and the Marantz 22 series were very good made indeed, I'd prefer it over a modern HT amp in the league of that particular onkyo, even though it doesn't have a remote, the home theater features, ...
    home theater features which of course, you'll only have benefit from when you actually have 5 speakers, but he'll start out with stereo speakers...

just saying, the onkyo will fall short sooner or later, it's not stable enough to drive 2 speakers with a 4 ohm impedance, or heavy impedance fluctuations, this all limits the choice for future upgrades.
    on the other hand, the marantz, will offer you good sound, will drive speakers more easily, will have a better phono stage, and, if you decide to upgrade, you can sell it for the same money or even more than you originally bought it for, while you'll have a hard time trying to do the same with the onkyo, if you can sell it for a decent price, that is...

about the "which will run longer", it's a speculation indeed, but in all honesty, I'd more trust a well made vintage receiver than a cheap modern amp. but of course, I had bad experiences with that already, so I might be biased...
    If I had to choose between the Marantz being better made or having every other advantage, I'll choose every other advantage. And I have nothing against vintage receivers. I still frequently use my Marantz 2325. But if I were just starting out, and I have the OP's current gear, there's no way I would spend my first money on a 35-year-old 2-channel receiver and live without all those other features.

If I had to choose between the Marantz being better made or having every other advantage, I'll choose every other advantage. And I have nothing against vintage receivers. I still frequently use my Marantz 2325. But if I were just starting out, and I have the OP's current gear, there's no way I would spend my first money on a 35-year-old 2-channel receiver and live without all those other features.
    well, tastes differ I guess...

I choose quality, good sound, durability & excellent resale values over having a cheap thing with lots of 'features', after all, it's still a basic, bottom of the line HT receiver.

I guess what you see as an 'advantage', is more like a useless feature for me. after all, he doesn't even have surround speakers so far, and since he's on a tight budget, I assume they're not coming there any time soon...

I choose quality over quantity, a lesson that I learned the hard way.
    and just IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stereo, for vinyl, it's the best, and the only way to go.

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

well, tastes differ I guess...

I choose quality, good sound, durability & excellent resale values over having a cheap thing with lots of 'features', after all, it's still a basic, bottom of the line HT receiver.

I guess what you see as an 'advantage', is more like a useless feature for me. after all, he doesn't even have surround speakers so far, and since he's on a tight budget, I assume they're not coming there any time soon...

I choose quality over quantity, a lesson that I learned the hard way.
    and just IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stereo, for vinyl, it's the best, and the only way to go.

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I guess I've just lost the desire to fish my stereo equipment out of garage sales and dumpsters or wait for someone to just give it to me.

poppachubby I have the tele coming out of the computer speakers. It's enough for now, and I am definitely more interested in setting a very descent TT system. I have contacted the person selling the Marantz and will hopefully have it by tomorrow. Thanks again! This has been great information.

JoeE are you selling any equipment? The Marantz 2230b is in Mt. Penn, about 70 miles from me. I'll try to make it out there by Tuesday.

poppachubby I have the tele coming out of the computer speakers. It's enough for now, and I am definitely more interested in setting a very descent TT system. I have contacted the person selling the Marantz and will hopefully have it by tomorrow. Thanks again! This has been great information.
    Sounds good. Any ideas about your table situation? We can look at tweaking what you have, and making sure it's as good as it can be. Or you can get something else.

Joe seems to have something up his sleeve for you...

I made an offer on the 2230b, and it seems like the seller is firm on the $100 price tag. I saw a Technichs SA-130 AM/FM receiver at a thrift for $9 (would this have been a good purchase?). I will most likely pick up the 2230b tonight or tomorrow afternoon, if there aren't any other suggestions.

I am definitely more interested in setting up a nice analog system vs. worrying about the HD TV and PS3. My time is limited as a medical student, and I rarely watch blu-rays or play on the PS3; I would rather enjoy warm vinyl during long study sessions, with a proper analog setup.

Once I have the receiver, my next step would be to purchase speakers. The mordaunt 902i seem to be a nice pair. Any other suggestions that I should consider? I am definitely inexperienced with speakers, so do agree that I should but a NEW set.

As far as the TT, I was hoping that we could tweak my SL-20 and get a few more spins out of her. Unless these improvements will end up costing more or about the same as purchasing a used Pioneer PL-516 (http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1647976308.html). How much would a descent cart. run me, about $100?

Thanks again for all of your advice, it is much appreciated.

E

When I asked the seller about the condition of the $100 marantz 2230b, this was the reply:

"Channels are fuzzy when adjusting volume, not when still. All lights are good. I have a pair of ADS speakers to test."

Is this still a good deal, and what should I look/hear for when testing it?

Thanks.

I will most likely pick up the 2230b tonight or tomorrow afternoon, if there aren't any other suggestions.
    We could keep suggesting endlessly. This is a solid receiver which you can resell when you are ready to upgrade. In the meantime it will serve you well and help to train your ears on proper fidelity.

Once I have the receiver, my next step would be to purchase speakers. The mordaunt 902i seem to be a nice pair. Any other suggestions that I should consider? I am definitely inexperienced with speakers, so do agree that I should but a NEW set.
    Honestly, I'm not a speaker pro. Hopefully some of the other guys can weigh in here. There's one member in particular, Leroy, who rated these quite highly against higher end speakers. For the price, you can't go wrong. They are bookshelf style, so they are compact but would need stands to perform correctly. Of course, you can DIY the stands if you're smart. We can help you with that later.

As far as the TT, I was hoping that we could tweak my SL-20 and get a few more spins out of her. Unless these improvements will end up costing more or about the same as purchasing a used Pioneer PL-516 (http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1647976308.html). How much would a descent cart. run me, about $100?
    With a new cartridge and some tweaks, your table will most liekly sound better than it does now. When I say "tweaks" I'm referring to small but measurable improvements to the set up. Simple things that you maybe aren't aware of.

For price vs. peformance... http://www.turntableneedles.com/Orto...10_p_2999.html

When I asked the seller about the condition of the $100 marantz 2230b, this was the reply:

"Channels are fuzzy when adjusting volume, not when still. All lights are good. I have a pair of ADS speakers to test."

Is this still a good deal, and what should I look/hear for when testing it?

Thanks.
    The fuzziness is a common problem that comes with age. It's simply dirt and dust in the pots. You can buy some contact cleaner, most popular in audiophile circles is Deoxit, and clean it yourself. VERY simple. The bulbs being lit is usually a good sign of an owner who has cared for their gear.

If he has speakers hooked up, that's a good sign too. It would appear he has nothin to hide. Best thing you can do is test every function of the amp, and see that it responds. Also, try to plug into each input at the back if possible. With any luck he will have a TT there. If you're feeling ambitious, take yours with you and hook it in.

Did he tell you which model of ADS speakers he has? They made some decent speakers, you may be able to snag a deal...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information