Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who influenced your music taste most

I think for most music lovers, there is probably some one in their life that influence their taste in music when there were younger. The person that had profound effect could be their family members, neighbor or even a DJ in the radio.

For me, I must say my older brother who is 15 year older had the most influence that shaped my music taste when I was younger in late 60’s and early 70’s. He mostly listen to pop rock from Stevei Wonder to Springteen to Joe Cocker and when he got married, he gave me all of his LPs. And that is how it all got started

What is your story?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I'd have to say it was my older brother as well. He managed to get a radio from my folks back in 68. Our rooms were next to each other and from the heating grate I could hear tunes from CKLW. From there he managed to put together a small stereo set-up and would play all types of music well into the night. He outfitted our old station wagon with an 8-track player and a bunch of Jensen speakers. The car along with his 8-track tapes collection were handed down to me and I was king of the road. Fond memories of playing "Frampton Comes Alive" while laying back with a date or two on the folded down back seat.....
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Fond memories of playing "Frampton Comes Alive" while laying back with a date or two on the folded down back seat.....
    That is too much information

You mentioned CKLW. That must be from Canada. Do you also remember WLS AM 890 from Chicago? That was the coolest station back in 70's which played the best rock music.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmmm, probably friends...I had a few music teachers that tuned me into some piano and cello specific stuff, that led me to search for other music, but just hearing new music my friends were listening too was a big part of it.

Acutally that's one of the first questions I ask of new acquaintances...if I ask what they listen to for music and they Lady Gaga, I know to wrap up the conversation pretty quick.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Growing up my house was full of music. My parents are both staunch fans of several genres. This gave me a good base of soul, pop, opera, jazz, reggae and rock.

It wasn't until I was in grade 4, my friend's older brother had Metallica Ride the Lightning on cassette. We listened to that thing non stop. That really opened up my mind to what was possible outside of conventional music. That kicked off the journey for me...

Suspended
    I would say my 3 older brothers and something different from each.

My oldest brother played Simon & Garfunkle to bar room blues like Thorogood, who used to play in local bars near me before he was well known.

Second oldest brother was more Zappa and Allman Bros stuff.

3rd oldest was more head music, Uriah Heap, 10 Years After, Bloodwyn Pig and the likes.

My oldest brother was building Heathkits, Dynaco, and Hafler gear on the kitchen table when I was little and both olders used the gear with speakers like the old AR5s.

I picked up my own stuff out of being exposed to the rest.

Forum Regular
    Me and my buddies were among the numerous and common followers of the British invasion.............1964...........Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hermits, Animals, Dave Clark, etc............my friends took guitar lessons and I bought and learned the drum set.....then in the Summer of 67, the world changed when me and my buddies got DISRAELI GEARS, ARE YOU EXPERIENCED, ABSOLUTELY FREE and SGT. PEPPERS all in the same month.............what a year !.................amazing.............and we've never been the same since.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    As a young child my mother always had music playing. A lot of it was opera and classical, which didn’t appeal to me at such a young age (I still don’t like opera), but I always had age appropriate kiddie albums to listen to. I had a turntable in my bedroom and Mom would put an album on for me to go to sleep to. If I was still awake when the side was over, I would yell out for her to turn it over and she would come and turn it over. I remember many nights of her coming into my room to tell me to stop singing and go to sleep.

As I got older my brothers became my influence. My mother ingrained a love for music in me, but it was my older brothers’ albums that influenced what I listened to. To a large extent BarryL still influences me by introducing me to new bands all the time (I hope that I’m able to influence him a bit too).

As you would expect, Barry was into Yes, Kansas, Genesis and other progressive rock bands. I used to listen to his copy of Leftoverture and his Pink Floyd disks all the time. Our older brother was more into stuff like Alice Cooper and David Bowie. Between the two of them I got a pretty well rounded education in rock music. And since Barry has always been a huge collector of music, I had literally hundreds and hundreds of albums at my fingertips.

I blame him for my overflowing CD collection today.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That is too much information

You mentioned CKLW. That must be from Canada. Do you also remember WLS AM 890 from Chicago? That was the coolest station back in 70's which played the best rock music.
    That is too funny. I just got off the phone with my WLS rep... I was pricing some spots for a client. It's all-talk format now. Yesterday, I had to listen to Rush freakin' Limbaugh while I was on hold.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

42 Regular
    Oh, and to answer the question... yeah, I have an older brother, too. But we're only a year apart, so we kinda influenced each other. From 1975 through 1980, we purchased all of our music jointly. Mostly prog and and hard rock at first, then mostly new wave.

He cringes when he hears anything even remotely prog today, and vehemently denies that he ever liked it. But I know better. ELP, Genesis, Tull, Yes, Nektar... we listened to that sh!t every day.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Good topic, I'll play.

Mom and Dad: Mom and dad bought one of those combo "Hi Fi's" when we were kids growing up in the projects. They mostly listened to Bellafonte, Nina Simone, some light jazz of the day and gospel. They did buy the first "moderen" '45 rpm record we ever owned though "Gypsy Woman" by the "Impressions".

New York City AM "Top 40" radio: The hi fi set had an AM radio (FM was still Science Fiction to us then) so I listened to it every day before heading off to school and every afternoon after cartoons. WMCA "The Good Guys" gave me the Brits, Motown, some Atlantic and everything in between. This broadedned my musical horizons as to what constituted "popular" music.

My Older Brother Charles: Charles and I never agreed on much. Being 2 years older he HATED me, his younger brother and I then, pretty much hated him too. But while Charles was busy being pretty cretinous, he had some friends who were amazingly cool. They hipped him to WWRL "Soul 1600 Radio" then the premiere Black AM radio station in New York in the 60's. WWRL played everything WAMC didn't and I mean EVERYTHING! At first I hated WWRL but I was suffereing then from the "Funky Pox". WWRL had the potion, the soul vaccination if you will that cured me and saved me!

WBLS: What WWRL started, WBLS FM finished. Here I learned of Gil Scott Heron, The Last Poets, Funkadelic, Bobby Womack et al! I was lost, but soon became found.

Da Worfster

I am the youngest of the bunch (it seems I'm not the only one here, there's a definite trend!), and therefore have been subject to my older siblings music, back in the 90s. My brother was crazy about Björk (not just the music I don't think), and Radiohead. He also listened to Portishead, Pixies, Massive Attack and Air to mention a few.

My sisters both played played piano (one of which plays very well), and my parents either played classical or such artists as Simon & Garfunkel, Barbra Streisand and other older artists. I went through a Hip-Hop period later on which suprisingly is what brought me into the hobby.
    Last edited by audio amateur; 02-19-2010 at 03:46 AM.

My older brother turned me on to music in the early 1970's, mainly folk and rock. Growing up in NYC in the middle of the Disco craze (BARF) forced to look for other types of music. Back then I listened to a lot of radio (WPLJ) till I was able to save money and buy a nice 15wpc Pioneer receiver, JVC TT and Altec Lansing 2 way speakers. Disco was on just about every radio station.

Also, my first concert had a huge influence on me. It was in the 1970's and Jefferson Airplane put on a free concert in Central park and I think about 50,000 people showed up. It was awesome.

It was in college that I really began to appreciate Blue's and Jazz.

And in the past few years with very little rock music appealing to me that I have gravitated to Vocal Jazz and some Classical.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

In my early years, my older siblings and their friends.

This was the late 60s, so I started out with Motown and surf pop, especially the Beach Boys, then delved into The Moody Blues and King Crimson. After that, my friends were my biggest influence, although we discovered new music together. We were such geeks that we had an 'album of the week' club, where one of us would bring a record and we'd listen to it in its entirety and give our impressions. That didn't last too long, but we continued to buy vinyl at a torrid pace, considering the era and lack of cash. We just found a way.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Dusty Chalk, dbi, JDaniels, PwrPopGuy, Allears, Demetrio, Davey, Yech, SnowBunny, Darius, Troy, BarryL, Forever Autumn, DarrenH, MindGoneHaywire, HyFi, Swish, Slosh, Stone, DCM, Diagaro, Rae, MonkeyBones, Mr.Midfi, Smokey, AudioGirl, MasterCylinder, Mason Jar, unleasHell, Heywood Djahblomie, tentoze, DaveG, FinchPlatte, InAbsentia, Bobsticks, TodH, BradH, Jim Clark
    Last edited by 3LB; 02-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Heywood Djahblomie
    Hehehe. And let's not forget...Van Occupanther.

Thanks for including me, but...

Dusty Chalk, dbi, JDaniels, PwrPopGuy, Allears, Demetrio, Davey, Yech, SnowBunny, Darius, Troy, BarryL, Forever Autumn, DarrenH, MindGoneHaywire, HyFi, Swish, Slosh, Stone, DCM, Diagaro, Rae, MonkeyBones, Mr.Midfi, Smokey, AudioGirl, MasterCylinder, unleasHell, Heywood Djahblomie, tentoze, DaveG, FinchPlatte, InAbsentia, Bobsticks, TodH, BradH, Jim Clark
    ...I'm guessing you got a lot more out of some of the others. I was actually going to list a bunch of these RR regulars and former visitors. I won't say all of them influenced me, but I certainly spent a lot of $ on cds that were mentioned by some of these people, especially dbi, MGH, Slosh, Stone, and you. Some of the others sent comps with all kinds of good stuff and I bought even more cds based on those tracks, so curse all of you for forcing me to spend my hard earned cash on such frivolous pursuits.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...I'm guessing you got a lot more out of some of the others.
    Do you still use that set of coasters that I sent you?

In the last 10 years it's definitely music boards like this one, but as a teenager, back in the 70s, I took influences from the usual crowd. My older brother for some kinds of things, my friends for others and the legendary KSAN "Jive 95" radio station out of San Francisco, which was the blueprint for freeform rock FM radio, all over the US.

42 Regular
    Dusty Chalk, dbi, JDaniels, PwrPopGuy, Allears, Demetrio, Davey, Yech, SnowBunny, Darius, Troy, BarryL, Forever Autumn, DarrenH, MindGoneHaywire, HyFi, Swish, Slosh, Stone, DCM, Diagaro, Rae, MonkeyBones, Mr.Midfi, Smokey, AudioGirl, MasterCylinder, unleasHell, Heywood Djahblomie, tentoze, DaveG, FinchPlatte, InAbsentia, Bobsticks, TodH, BradH, Jim Clark
    Good point there (and thanks).

I just want to give a shout out to Jar, who may be lurking. He turned me on to some great stuff, back in the day.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Good point there (and thanks).

I just want to give a shout out to Jar, who may be lurking. He turned me on to some great stuff, back in the day.
    I still have one of his reggae comps. We see him around every now then.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Rae
    Well, it's already been said, but so many of the folks here shepherded me into the broader musical world. I had the advantage of stumbling across this board in 1999 when I was still in my formative years and it's shaped what I listen to ever since. I remember that early on we did a comp series that was supposed to be our favorite songs-- the songs that had defined us and transformed us over the course of our lives. I eagerly put my own together so that I could trade it for others and I remember Davey gently saying "seriously? These are your all-time favorites?"... my tastes have grown a lot in the intervening decade and my horizons are a lot wider.

I first got into record collecting off of an issue of Rolling Stone that I picked up at a garage sale that had one of those "500 Essential Albums" lists in it... it must've been from the early 90s because I remember Loveless, Pretty Hate Machine, and Nevermind on it but not much past that. For a while I was on a mission to buy every album that was mentioned. Looking back, it was an incredibly narrow and reductive list but at the time I felt like I finally had a roadmap to a mindblowing world.

A few years later, I dated a woman who set my whole world on its ear (and not just musically). She basically introduced me to the concept of music as organic and populist and not something always created by the canon of rock gods. In some ways, I thought of her as the punk rock older sister that I never had (like in the Juliana Hatfield song, which is actually a perfect encapsulation of this thread).

From 2003-2005, I worked in a record store and that was it. All of the walls fell down and I was able to explore and consume all types of music as voraciously as I liked. I got burned out after a few years, especially from working retail and starting to see music as commodity, but I was exposed to tons of stuff before I did.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Acutally that's one of the first questions I ask of new acquaintances...if I ask what they listen to for music and they Lady Gaga, I know to wrap up the conversation pretty quick.
    Wow, that must be incredibly limiting. Some of my favorite people love music that I can't stand, but I can't imagine not knowing them.

~Rae

A group of four guys came to my folks' house when I was a kid about 4 or 5 years old. They brought their gear and played for a while. I guess they influenced me because I've been trying to play like their drummer ever since. Before they left, they signed an album they had released & gave it to me. My mom took it & put it away so I wouldn't wreck it. She gave it to me the other day & I looked at it. Picture of them on the cover, and they ruined it by signing John, Paul, George & Ringo across the front.

Should I keep it?

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Should I keep it?
    Is it that awful one where they're chopping up babies? Same thing happened to me.

~Rae

My parents were 21 when I was born ('68) and I grew up listening to The BeAtles, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, James Taylor, Pink Floyd, Jimi, Traffic, etc.

I had a good friend who had an older brother in the Navy and he came back all excited about this new band he discovered and thought they were gonna become really big someday. It was 1975 and that band turned out to be AC/DC. About 4 years later he was home on leave again and had a boot Iron Maiden tape (this was before they had an album out yet).

In the early '80s my first serious girlfriend (well, serious for 7th grade, anyway) always listened to X- Los Angeles, a welcome change of pace after all of that classic rock and metal. I never did become a huge punk fan but certainly listened and learned to appreciate a ton of stuff I probably would have dismissed out of hand if it wasn't for her.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information