Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Dusty Chalk, dbi, JDaniels, PwrPopGuy, Allears, Demetrio, Davey, Yech, SnowBunny, Darius, Troy, BarryL, Forever Autumn, DarrenH, MindGoneHaywire, HyFi, Swish, Slosh, Stone, DCM, Diagaro, Rae, MonkeyBones, Mr.Midfi, Smokey, AudioGirl, MasterCylinder, Mason Jar, unleasHell, Heywood Djahblomie, tentoze, DaveG, FinchPlatte, InAbsentia, Bobsticks, TodH, BradH, Jim Clark

Now that was good! And back at ya and the rest of the list including a few not listed

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That is too much information

You mentioned CKLW. That must be from Canada. Do you also remember WLS AM 890 from Chicago? That was the coolest station back in 70's which played the best rock music.
    Trust me I did not tell you everything that went on back there....

CKLW was (is?) a Canadian station from Windsor or Sarnia I think. We were on the east coast of Michigan at the time and I don't recall us pulling in any Chicago stations. This radio was very basic but at the time it seemed amazing.

I should add that my time in college was also infuential as I was able to find a variety of LP's that I played and recorded. People back then were always very willing to share their music.
    Last edited by thekid; 02-19-2010 at 02:50 AM.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

My earliest memories of music include an 8-track tape player/receiver my dad and mom listened to when I was a kid. Johnny Cash, Petula Clark, Burt Bacharach and Roger Williams were among the tapes representing the Hit Parade. Also included were Verdi, Beethoven and Puccini for the classical. When I became aware of the record player, I found a treasure trove of just about everything, including show tunes played by Ferante and Teicher (yes, yes, don't rub it in)...

Taste-wise, a soundtrack to 2001 (on 8 Track) caught my ear at a very early age. I fell in love with Ligeti's work, and to this day enjoy "atonal", electronic and avant garde music that deviates away from the mainstream. I also listened to Smetana's Moldau at a very early age. It made quite an impression with my over-active imagination...

I pretty much wrote rock and roll and such off until I was in the 8th grade, when a friend introduced me to Pink Floyd, a la DSOM. I've been sick ever since.

Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Taste-wise, a soundtrack to 2001 (on 8 Track) caught my ear at a very early age. I fell in love with Ligeti's work, and to this day enjoy "atonal", electronic and avant garde music that deviates away from the mainstream. I also listened to Smetana's Moldau at a very early age. It made quite an impression with my over-active imagination...

I pretty much wrote rock and roll and such off until I was in the 8th grade, when a friend introduced me to Pink Floyd, a la DSOM. I've been sick ever since.
    Yep, now that you mention it, I specifically recall 2001 and DSOTM on 8-Track when I was about 10 too. I was subjected to a lot of Moog albums as well. Influential, no doubt.

I think for most music lovers, there is probably some one in their life that influence their taste in music when there were younger...What is your story?
    Unlike many here, my family members were not at all involved in music. That was something I discovered on my own when I was 12 and listened to Quixie in Dixie AM 790 hits in Atlanta. In time, I discovered prog rock and really enjoyed Yes, EL&P, Renaissance, etc. That got me primed on classical themes. What changed everything was befriending the owner of a hi-fi shop who opened a store near me when I was 17. I later worked for him in college and through the shop, met JWC who was a writer for TAS at the time. Both Julian and John listened primarily to classical, so listening sessions for new product at the store or hearing JWC's latest system always involved classical, choral or broadway content. I can clearly remember hearing The Planets on Magneplanar T-IIIs tri-amplified with Audio Research electronics back in '74. At first, I was lost but found that I really enjoyed quite a bit of what was getting played. HP introduced me to a number of artists showcased on Hearts of Space.

Today, I still enjoy my pop and rock roots, but enjoy classically oriented soundtracks and many favorites that I was exposed to back in the 70s. In a listening session, I may go through some 60s pop hits (Supremes, Elvis, Association, surf music), the soundtrack from Avatar or the last Harry Potter film, some Prokofiev piano concertos (hearing the second on Dayton-Wrights in '76 is what made me an electrostatic freak) and the TAS Hearts of Space sampler.

rw

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    It was the late 60's and I was stationed aboard my first nuc submarine. Had picked up the Woodstock soundtrack on reel to reel tape and was wearing it out on the ships tape deck when we were out to sea. Picked up everything that I could get my hands on for my cassette deck in the car back then. Didn't get into vinyl until I got out of the service. A friend of mine started working at Radio Shack and got us hooked on the latest equipment that they had for sale. I had a nice Realistic receiver with a Elac Miracord turntable and Nova 8 speakers. Then he went to work for a local high end store in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and we were moving up to Sansui receivers and Garrard turntables with Advent speakers. I wonder where he is now?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I use them often.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Do you still use that set of coasters that I sent you?

They've saved the finish on my coffee table many a night.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I think we found our resident geezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    It was the late 60's and I was stationed aboard my first nuc submarine.
    Need I say more?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Once upon a time, 16 yrs of age was all you had to be to serve your country, with parental consent of course.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thanks evereybody for going down the mememry lane.

We learned so much.......from thekid’s dating maneuvers, to Kex music teachers, poppa’s head banging to metalica, Hify going in three different directions, MasteCylinder memories of summer of 67, Autumn as a child, yelling out to her mother to turn over the album (that was so hilarious), Midfi’s LP buying partner, moment, Worf’s souls searching, audio amateur baby boomers parents, blackraven disco days, Swish 'album of the week' club, 3LB homeboys influence (don't know why I'm on the list)......

........to Troy legendary freeform FM radio, Rea doing exactly what I was doing younger (record collecting off from issue of "500 Essential Albums" of Rolling Stone), Finch house parties with a band, Slosh punk awakening, Auricauricle going from country to classical, E-Stat dreaming of owning a Magneplanar back in collage to Jack in Wilmington AWOLing back in the navy.

It was fun to reminisce.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Need I say more?
    Guilty as charged. My sentence, retirement in 1yr and 4 months.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I knew there was a reason I didn't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    retirement in 1yr and 4 months.
    You lucky dog! If my 401K hadn't become a 201K, I might have been able to retire a lot sooner, but methinks I'll be toiling for a few extra years.

Enjoy brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    You lucky dog! If my 401K hadn't become a 201K, I might have been able to retire a lot sooner, but methinks I'll be toiling for a few extra years.

Enjoy brother.
    I was lucky. Mine took a dump the last year Bush was in office, but it was up 25% last year. So I got all that I lost back and made a nice profit or I'd be working a little longer too.
    I was still able to put something away for my next upgrade and that's what's really important. I thought I might need a new snowblower if we kept getting hit with storms.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

This is a true story; I don't know if I've told it around here before ...

I really had no interest in music of any kind in high school -- and let's remember that was the time when Elvis was just becoming really popular. Though I had mostly ignored him at the time, we did have a teacher who had made us listen to classical music.

This indifference to music extended into my university years. But one day on the way home on the bus during my senior year, I overheard a middle-aged Jewish lady bragging to another Jewish lady about her son, the doctor. One bragging point was that her son had developed quite an interest in, and knowledge of, classical music despite the fact that no one else in the family had ever been interestedt.

I could relate to the last part, and somehow the idea of classical music resonated in my mind and -- despite being neither Jewish nor a doctor -- I resolved to listen to it occassionally. So though classical it wasn't the first music I listened to when I got my first stereo system 2-3 years later, it did soon become my primary musical interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    This indifference to music extended into my university years. But one day on the way home on the bus during my senior year, I overheard a middle-aged Jewish lady bragging to another Jewish lady about her son, the doctor. One bragging point was that her son had developed quite an interest in, and knowledge of, classical music
    This might be a tongue in cheek observation, but it seem that those that gravitate toward classical music (like yourself) tend to have higher education training. I wonder if there is some kind of relation between higher education and classical music given that most colleges have dedicated 24/7 classical FM station.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    This might be a tongue in cheek observation, but it seem that those that gravitate toward classical music (like yourself) tend to have higher education training. I wonder if there is some kind of relation between higher education and classical music given that most colleges have dedicated 24/7 classical FM station.
    Well Smokes there is an exception to every rule and I am it....

I am listening to classical music now on one of the digital music stations provided by my cable TV provider. Pretty much listen to it every morning.

In college my future wife got me hooked on Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" (what is it with me that good music always seems to involve women.. ). We actually had it played at our wedding while people were eating and had a ton of people come up later and ask about getting a copy of it.

Lately my son has taken to listening to either Miles Davis or Baroque music while doing his homework. He said it relaxes him while he is trying get through so much work.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    As a young child yadda yadda yadda...
    As opposed to when you were an old child?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    As opposed to when you were an old child?
    Yep. By the time I reached 17 I had to get up turn the record over myself.

42 Regular
    I should have mentioned that one thing that didn't really influence my listening very much was working for a couple years in a record store.

I learned a lot working there... how to ring a register, how to tally inventory, how to sell, how to process a retail return, how to tally a cash drawer and make a night deposit at the bank, how to put up a promotional display, how to discourage shoplifting, how to take advantage of an employee discount, how to score front-row tickets for shows, etc. But I didn't learn that much about music there.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

My start was similar to Aricauricle's. For some reason, my dad got his 45s out of my grandma's basement, and gave them to me, followed by a bunch of 8-tracks. I ate that stuff up, which was 60s rock/pop stuff like early Beatles, Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Kinks, and the Rolling Stones. That triggered the passion and taste of my music listening. The trigger pushing me into non-mainstream music was in 9th grade, when a guy transferred in to our school. I grew up in rural Iowa in a town of 3000, and he came in with a long rat tail and strange looks. We became friends and he introduced me to the Dead Kennedys, The Smiths, and Oingo Boingo. I got so into punk and alternative music that I would go to the record store and buy albums based on the cover art alone.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    We became friends and he introduced me to the Dead Kennedys, The Smiths, and Oingo Boingo. I got so into punk and alternative music that I would go to the record store and buy albums based on the cover art alone.
    I am also big fan of 80s alternative music and have to say Rolling Stone magazine had big influence in introducing me to prog rock groups. You mentioned Smiths. Others worth mentioning from that era probably be Simple Minds, Roxy Music, Psychedelic Furs, early REM and Talking Heads.

....oh, almost forgot to mention Duran Duran

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

here goes---

the person that first influenced me was my mother who always had the radio on back in the late 40's and early 50s. those stations played ALL styles of music. bing crosby, sabre dance, elvis, les paul, etc. quite unlike today where stations have narrow interest playlists.

she was influenced by my father who was a musician-a bass player. i remember hearing benny goodman's boogie woogie a lot. i think he played with sammy kaye when he was in town as i remember going to a concert then and he wasnt with us. realize i was 5 yrs old when he died.

later, my sister, in high school (53-57) l, had a record player on which she played mule train by frankie laine and some dave brubeck etc. this was the heyday of elvis and bill haley.

in 7th and 8th grade, i got into what is now considered to be classic rock and roll, sonny james, the drifters, and like that. in high school, because jazz came on the regular stations, brubecks take five and ahmad jamals poinciana were heard there along with bobby darin and the coasters etc.

about when i went into the air force, the beatles were a big thing but i didnt really get it until i got out and they were breaking up then.

when i got to california in late '70 i was exposed to progressive rock on krla and later kmet and klos. still, jazz was a prominent factor for me and knx provided a mix of rock and some jazz. it was my friend glen baker who got me into progressive rock as he had worked at kppc before it became kroq. then punk came in which i had no interest.

jazz became more prominent for me as i attended live music here in so cal and is my mainstay. i listen to kkjz.org and other jazz stations on the net. smooth jazz stations like the wave are bypassed most of the time. only rarely do they play anything interesting.
    ...regards...tr

When I was still a young high school lad (early 60's) I listened to the usual top 40 radio music. Then I heard a London Phase 4 recording of Ronnie Aldrich and his two piano's. That was the most natural sounding recording I'd ever heard. It started me listening to classical music.
    Jukebox music as played in bars was also a big influence. The drinking age in NY state was 18 back then so I could go to the bars. Bar's for people "of color" have always played music to dance to. So Motown, Atlantic and Stax Volt artists among others were added to my "likes". While in the service I was exposed to rock, folk and psychedelic. They were added to the list. I discovered Ahmad Jamal, Charles Loyd and "real" Jazz also while in the service. It's a journey that has no end. I'm still discovering and being exposed to "new" music. To sum it up I've been influenced by many different artists and genre's
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

As for people it would be my older brother and parents, The house was filled with Motown hits and such, My brother intoduce me to Hendrix and later on jazz/Funk and fusion.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    I had no older siblings so I learned about music the same way I learned about sex, by watching the neighborhood dogs.. no wait, that's another story, nevermind, at a very young age I became smitten with anything musically different, I bought Amon Duul II: Tanz der Lemmings when I was like 14, same with Can: Future Days. I remember riding my sting-ray 10 miles to buy Aqua by Edgar Frose (Tangerine Dream), you don't even want to know what I am listening to nowadays....

And since we are going all nostalgic, who else had a Pioneer PL-12D?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information