Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    When adults witness abuse and do nothing that is a very negative message to the victim.
    John, I appreciate your situation and understand, but your last sentence says it all.

Media coverage will not change that fact if Adults still turn their heads, parents, teachers or any other.

There is a huge lacking of 3 very important behaviors in the world. From the Dali Lama's book titled The Art of Happiness, I took away the appreciation for the following:

Compassion
    Tolerance
    Forgiveness

If everyone would start to incorporate these 3 simple things into their life, we would not need legislation or news media to change things.

But then again, it would mean that people have to be responsible for their own actions and influence others by those same actions.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Education and awareness are powerful tools. I think that this young man's death was tragic...regardless of his reasons for taking his life, it is tragic that he felt that was his only way out of whatever situation he believed he was in.

But I have seen some wonderful things come out of this. I have seen people showing support and tolerance. I have heard the public outcry over this young man's death. And, this morning I saw this on my niece's Facebook status...

‎1 in every 10 people born is gay. That means 1 in every 10 people is likely to be put down, given bad labels, left alone, put in the minority, and so much else, for something they didn't ask for. Many gay teens are turning to suicide as a way of escaping. If you want to tell them that life will get better, and you respect them for who they are, copy and paste this. Most of you won't, but let's see who will.

My niece is a great kid and I am proud as hell of her for this and for so many more reasons. But what I love about this is that she is 14. She has over 400 FB friends who are mostly her age. If just one of those FB friends is hiding his or her homosexuality and reads her status, it might help. That's powerful. And it's because of this recent tragedy that it's happening.

People can sit back and do nothing, or they can try to create a silver lining. I'd like to think that the media attention that this case is being given is contributing to the silver lining. There is so much hate in the world. We're surrounded by it every single day. Let's look for the positive and try to find ways to make the world a better place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information