Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Playing LPs with a 44-year-old needle

Denon USA begins importing classic DL-103 phono cartridge again!

Full Story;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12095676/
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Why people listen to LPs ? I think they are living in the past time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by davidhiggins
    Haev you listened to vinyl played on a well set up TT? If you have not you are in for a surprise. Many people including myself think vinyl sounds better. Go somewhere and listen then come back with an informed opinion. If you are old enough to remember the introduction of CD's you know that a lot of folks sold their vinyl collection. Most of the sellers regret their decision. I don't. I bought lots of good vinyl at fire sale prices. I play a lot of that vinyl today.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

For many of use oldsters, we have collected a library of vinyl, not all of it available on CD. As Joe mentioned, most folks really have no idea how well it can sound on good gear.

rw

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

We are not living in the past. We listen to currently produced turntables, cartridges and new vinyl. I agree that you need to hear a quality analog set-up.

Now a gramophone, that would be living in the past.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Mutant from table 9

This guy is a troll. Vinyl lovers live in the past, but he also claims hell will freeze over before he buys an HD-DVD player.
    LG to deliver dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray

So, no past and no future means he's solidly rooted in the present? But, if that is true, why does he list a laserdisc player in his equipment?

Forum Regular
    I just listened to some old vinyls this afternoon with my new SVS 's and Denon. I think is has a marvelous sound. It was a set my mom bought me from Neiman Marcus First Edition series with Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Phil. in Brahms' 4th Symphony. They still sound great! Certainly better than the old cassettes I'm stuck with.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    That's one cartridge I'm interested in... yippee for Denon bringing it back full force.

Forum Regular
    How many reasons do you want? Here are a couple:

1) Cheaper especially if you like a lot of classic rock. Got Tommy in perfect shape for $4. Sounds great.

2) Sounds great. CD's sound perfect, but sterile. And again, if you like classic rock, you're in for some serious background hiss from poorly done remasterings (Beatles).

3) Album art - the art starts with the packaging. When was the last time you got a full size poster like the one that comes with Dylan's greatest hits.

I'm 20 btw. Grew up with CD's.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    CDs can and do sound great, but different music just lends itself better to LPs in my opinion. I'm not hard on CDs like some vinyl nuts, but I prefer to take advantage of what both can offer. LIke dav305z I didn't exactly grow up with vinyl. I'm 23, but I've added some LPs to my collection.

Forum Regular
    reason i will not buy a hd dvd player my hd tv has analog inputs only why should i pay top dollar for for a player that will not give me true hd

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    For many of use oldsters, we have collected a library of vinyl, not all of it available on CD. As Joe mentioned, most folks really have no idea how well it can sound on good gear.

rw
    How old is old ? I have been around long before stereo LPs were on the market I go back to 78 RPM. and who can come up with the price they want for turntables i have seen some for $6000.00 and up.only for the people who have so much $$$ I am not in this group

Sound Fanatic
    reason i will not buy a hd dvd player my hd tv has analog inputs only why should i pay top dollar for for a player that will not give me true hd
    Your HD tv won't play HD, eh? You're clearly well-informed and knowledgeable.

Forum Regular

Vinyl Sounds Better???

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat

rw
    I highly disagree that vinyl sounds better. I have a Pioneer PL540 turntable here that is using a Shure V15 type four cartridge. It certainly doesn't sound better than digital sound. I have a few hundred albums laying around here (I have collected vinyl since the 1960's) and quite frankly, it is painful to play them. Most of my vinyl records look pristine but when played are loaded with click and pops. I certainly wouldn't trade vinyl for digital. As an experiment, take one of your best vinyl albums and record it to a digital format and then play both back. You might be in for a big surprise since both will sound identical.

Aging Smartass

And the debate rages on, and on, and on...

While I think LP's can and do often sound great, I feel quite strongly that the medium with the better potential is the CD, or digital medium. I own well over 100 brilliantly engineered Telarc classical CD's which not one single LP in my collection of over 1,000 comes close to in terms of sonic purity. And, yes, I have some really awful sounding CD's too, but the best sound I get out of my system has not come from a record, and instead from a CD.

Insofar as the original purpose of this thread, the Denon 103D was a fine cartridge in 1978, and has been eclipsed by many since. The Stanton Collector's Series 100 (which I own, and very few of which were ever manufactured) is an "ordinary" moving magnet design that all but blows away the 103D. I suspect that can be said of other cartridges too, be they moving magnets or moving coils. And I'm NOT referring to those in the $1,000+ price range.

Forum Regular
    I, too, grew up with vinyl. I was able to acquire some really rare albums while in Germany. Ah, they sounded great! Problem is, my collection (and turntable) were all lost in a fire in 1991. I've been digital ever since. I don't know where to even buy good LP's any more. I just hope more and more old albums get remastered on CD and improvements continue. Sometimes I'm really impressed, while other times I'm just sickened with the sound. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here on CD is a perfect example of disaster. Never did the LP sound so muted and disgusting. Oh well, maybe someday, someone may get it right.

AR Newbie Registered Member

The great analogue/digital debate!

Quote Originally Posted by ruadmaa
    I highly disagree that vinyl sounds better. I have a Pioneer PL540 turntable here that is using a Shure V15 type four cartridge. It certainly doesn't sound better than digital sound. I have a few hundred albums laying around here (I have collected vinyl since the 1960's) and quite frankly, it is painful to play them. Most of my vinyl records look pristine but when played are loaded with click and pops. I certainly wouldn't trade vinyl for digital. As an experiment, take one of your best vinyl albums and record it to a digital format and then play both back. You might be in for a big surprise since both will sound identical.
    Sorry, I have to disagree. In my opinion, vinyl on a good set-up is better than the clinical sound of digital. I don't know much about your Pioneer turntable, but I can tell you that with my analogue set-up I get very close to my digital set-up in terms of good sound ... not to mention keeping that analogue warmth. Especially considering my analogue set-up is fairly low budget hi-fi and that the digital side of my set-up costs approx 3 times as much. I am going to be assembling a Linn LP 12 set-up very soon and I bet this will sound even better and surpass my digital. I fell into the trap of going digital and have amassed a big collection of CD versus vinyl, but I am going back to vinyl as my preferred listening choice.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Any thoughts of how I might get my 1916 Edison Victrola hooked up to my system?

Just Kidding, but the victrola sure does work nice when the power goes out...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Denon USA begins importing classic DL-103 phono cartridge again!
    Yeah!

it was here in belgium for as long as I can remember, but nevertheless, good to know alot of americans are going for a new cart in the near future....

i have the 103 and it rocks, it's just magnificent (yes, the ortofon om-5e I used before wasn't THE best cart to compare it with but anyways)

if i ever intend to buy a better cart, it could just be the 103R, to stay in the same style, because i love this one...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

P.S. : vinyl ruules!!!
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite

if i ever intend to buy a better cart, it could just be the 103R, to stay in the same style, because i love this one...

P.S. : vinyl ruules!!!
    Nah.. try to save your money for this.

but they are only making 2000 units so it might be too late...

WOW... What's that!!!???

No... seriously... I'm done for awhile...

Do you think so? C'mon Phil, you cant fool me.

Some vinyl is worth the extra effort, ELP's lucky man with a cartrage that can get down to 5hz compaired directly to the cd is a perfect example, there is so much more information in the vinyl that it makes it painful to listen to the cd.

Hey Aevans,
    I never had a chance to say welcome to AR, so....Welcome.

whotta hell is ELP?

thanks for the welcome.

if you have a good sub and your record player is in a safe position the bottom end will drop like a rock to 30hz with a lot of sub sonic going on as well.

Emerson Lake & Palmer
    http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Lake-P...dp/B0000033OZ/
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Emerson-Lake-Pal...QQcmdZViewItem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information