Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aevans

Emerson Lake & Palmer
    Good idea, I think I'll clean the Trilogy and have it a spin.

Thanks,

nightflier
    I know it's not an exact comparison, but I spent some time over the holidays putting together a new 2-channel system and then comparing the same DG recordings on both vinyl and CD and I don't know why but the vinyl, despite the occasional pops, just has more breadth, depth, and life to it. I know that there might be mastering and recording differences between the formats, but it's generally the case that the vinyl sounds better.

That said, it's a whole lot easier to get from opening the box to final setup with a CD player than with a turntable. I think it took me about ten times as long to configure my turntable to just the way I liked it. The CD part was pretty much plug-n-play. After much cursing and a few fits or rage, I think that it's not the sound that gives CD the edge, but the convenience. But after all that work, why would I not take some time to enjoy it?

Regarding the DL-103, I only have one turntable, but in my setup it was not a stellar performer. I have a DL-103 that I bought used, so that also may be the problem. In any case, I doubt I'll buy the new one. Maybe all the hoopla about the DL-103 is more nostalgia than actual performance. I bought mine because of this hoopla and well, I wasn't blown over.

One other comment: the reviewer in the original article is using the Belari phono preamp, and I have to say that is also not an impressive unit.

I agree that a separate step-up and a Bellari is a pretty unlikely MC setup. I don't see much in this article that looks like a review. I'd have to question if this guy's even heard a 103 or a Bellari.

May I ask what cart you're using? If it beats CDs and the 103, I'd definitely like to add it to my "maybe someday" list.

nightflier
    Roy,

I'm currently using a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood and haven't yet found something that compares. I know its a MM and in a different league from the Denon, but I really like the sound better. I've tried quite a few other cartridges that get a lot of play on these forums, but I'm getting a bit irritated with all the setup that goes along with configuring the cartridges, so I'm gona stay with this one for a while. Anyhow, Beethoven never sounded so good in my system.

Thanks Nightflier. I've certainly heard good things about Clearaudio. Maybe someday... LOL

I'm using a DL-103R which seems to be a nice balance between cartridges that sounded slightly too thin in my system and cartridges that had a nice punch, but sounded a little too "hard" in the highs. I'm sure there's better to be had out there though... I can see why a classical lover might not like the 103. I would say the 103R's strongest points are taming rock and jazz a little without killing all air and detail. The R version sounds decent on classical to me. I can see how the "regular" 103 or even the "R" version might not have the clarity to satisfy some.
    Last edited by royphil345; 01-18-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Been using a 103D in an SME 3009 for years. Nice piece.

Quote Originally Posted by SAEA501
    Been using a 103D in an SME 3009 for years. Nice piece.
    That's the elliptical one? Yeah... I'd sure like to get my hands on one of those. Lucky!!!

Audio Enthusiast
    One of the biggest challenges of the phono setup is matching the cartridge mechnically as well as electronically. I don't have to replay all of the protractors, scales, brushes, etc necessary to properly setup a cartridge in a tonearm.

But what about calibration for optimum performance with a phono stage? Is the impedence 100k or 47k or somewhere in between? What about capacitance? 75pf, 100, 200, 300?

Is there enough gain? Is 30db sufficient or will it drive my preamp/amp into clipping? Or is 60db too much for my line stage?

Not too many of us have the resources to swap phono stages/preamps around until we discover the right synergy of cartridge and electronics. But unless your phono stage has that kind of adjustability, there could very well be a mismatch that does not allow your cartridge to reach its full potential making it sound aweful.

Just my thoughts. Its a vinyl enthusiasts dilema.

Quote Originally Posted by davidhiggins
    Why people listen to LPs ? I think they are living in the past time to move on
    Yeah, I wouldn't want an old 60s model Camaro, Cuda, or Mustang. And forget about vintage McIntosh Tube equipment. Who wants to live in the past?

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

nightflier

Phono Preamps that make this easier

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    But what about calibration for optimum performance with a phono stage? Is the impedence 100k or 47k or somewhere in between? What about capacitance? 75pf, 100, 200, 300?

Is there enough gain? Is 30db sufficient or will it drive my preamp/amp into clipping? Or is 60db too much for my line stage?
    Well, that's were a good phono preamp will make all the difference. I have a Phonomena preamp and while I still have to take the cover off to switch gain/capacitance/etc., it has just about every setting you can think of. That said, I bet the company would have sold a whole lot more of these units if they would just have put the switches on the outside - I'd like to have a word with the nitwit who value-engineered that out of the final production model.

There are some others that have multiple easily adjustable settings from companies like Krell, PS Audio, and Jolida that I wouldn't mind giving a look-listen to, but they are hard to come by on the used market. I also used to own an early 80's Yamaha preamp that had all these adjustments built in. Back in those days that was pretty standard on mid-to-high fi gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information