Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Pioneer done making tv's

This is awful, just awful news. I'm glad i got my 5020 when i did.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

JSE
    That sucks. I hate the see any company close up shop partially or completely. I wonder if this includes their receivers as well? I have always been impressed by their AV units. Lot of bang for the buck. I just bought a Pioener 1018 for my father this last Christmas.

*** BTW, I predict a "Pix Rant" soon along the lines of: See I told you Plasma was dead and Pioneer got what they deserved for backing a dead technology.

Forum Regular
    Yeah i know, pix can go ***** himself too. Hopefully it wont be long before Sh*tzio folds.

I'm glad I got probably the 3rd best TV ever when i did, only behind the Pioneer Elites.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    That sucks. I hate the see any company close up shop partially or completely. I wonder if this includes their receivers as well? I have always been impressed by their AV units. Lot of bang for the buck. I just bought a Pioener 1018 for my father this last Christmas.

*** BTW, I predict a "Pix Rant" soon along the lines of: See I told you Plasma was dead and Pioneer got what they deserved for backing a dead technology.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Ouch! Brutal time to be in the CE biz -- Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Sony all announced projections for losses in the billions this year.

It's not even a plasma/LCD issue given that Pioneer already had plans to introduce LCD sets this year (wonder how Sharp feels about taking an ownership stake in Pioneer now). Now, they are exiting the TV and DVD player business altogether. It a sad day for consumers because Pioneer was one of the performance leaders in both categories.

The economic downturn has decimated the upper end of many markets, and Pioneer never competed on price. Anyone who wants the top performing TVs on the market now needs to get their hands on one of the Pioneers before they disappear.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Unhappy

Pioneer is DEAD.
    And it wasnt a factor, but backing the wrong tech didnt help.
    PANASONIC is gonna buy the carcass, it will hang around awhile,
    then the historic will happen, this vernerable company that has been around forever,
    whose receivers helped popularize audio in the seventies, will be gone.
    And they wont be the last.
    Main problem, they cheaped out their main line of receivers, and in an attempt to
    get some "street cred" back, came out with the elite line of products,
    which were too high line for most.
    And the people who could afford Elite, WHY?
    FOR THOSE PRICES YOU COULD GET TRULY high end gear.
    In the ensuing storm thats coming, get ready to see the passing of some names that
    have been a part of your life foever, only the strong will surrive.
    Pioneer is just the first.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Yeah i know, pix can go ***** himself too. Hopefully it wont be long before Sh*tzio folds.
    Your plasma will do it for YOU
    And Vizio will outlast your P.O.S by a wide margin

I'm glad I got probably the 3rd best TV ever when i did, only behind the Pioneer Elites.[/QUOTE]

We're no. 3! We're no 3?
    Catchy.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    You're obviously too stupid to figure out what I meant.

Pioneer owns the top 3 spots when it comes to tv rankings....and that includes plasmas AND lcds.

your hunk of sh*t Vizio most likely doesnt even make the top 50

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Your plasma will do it for YOU
    And Vizio will outlast your P.O.S by a wide margin

I'm glad I got probably the 3rd best TV ever when i did, only behind the Pioneer Elites.

We're no. 3! We're no 3?
    Catchy.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Duds; 02-09-2009 at 05:43 AM.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Cool

You're obviously too stupid to figure out what I meant.

Pioneer owns the top 3 spots when it comes to tv rankings....and that includes plasmas AND lcds.

your hunk of sh*t Vizio most likely doesnt even make the top 50

We're no. 3! We're no 3?
    Catchy.
    [/QUOTE]

Vizio is the NUMBER ONE maker of LCD and other flat panels.
    Pioneer is the ZERO maker of ANY kind of TV as they have just gotten out of the business.
    YEAH, if they make such "great" TV sets then why did they fail to sell that many
    (except to the clueless such as yourself, who buys into the propaaganda)
    Basically your set is a panasonic, that is the OEM, a few tweaks maybe but basically a
    panasonic, which should help in finding parts for your orphan.
    Which you WILL need , assmonkey.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Just shows how little you know. the tv i bought has has zero panasonic in it, period. the next generation was going to have Panny glass.

go enjoy your Fisher Price tv.....

Pioneer is the ZERO maker of ANY kind of TV as they have just gotten out of the business.
    YEAH, if they make such "great" TV sets then why did they fail to sell that many
    Basically your set is a panasonic, that is the OEM, a few tweaks maybe but basically a
    Which you WILL need , assmonkey.[/QUOTE]
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Cool

Just shows how little you know. the tv i bought has has zero panasonic in it, period. the next generation was going to have Panny glass.

go enjoy your Fisher Price tv.....

Which you WILL need , assmonkey.
    [/QUOTE]

PIONEER is an audio company, they have always relied on OEM for video products.
    But dont sweat it, panasonic is a good company, even tho you bought one by your own ignorance.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    well congrats to an audio company for making the best TVs you can buy, LOL!!!

and even though you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground, my pioneer is a pioneer, even if it was a Panny, I'd still take a Panny plasma any day of the week over your Fischer Price toy.

PIONEER is an audio company, they have always relied on OEM for video products.
    But dont sweat it, panasonic is a good company, even tho you bought one by your own ignorance.[/QUOTE]
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Suspended
    well congrats to an audio company for making the best TVs you can buy, LOL!!!

and even though you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground, my pioneer is a pioneer, even if it was a Panny, I'd still take a Panny plasma any day of the week over your Fischer Price toy.

Great stuff Duds!

Pix, you're a dumbass.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I have 2 Pioneer Plasmas. Neither are Pannys. Although, as others have said, I would rather a Panny, than the Aldi Special (Vizio).

I was reading this article about Vizio and their business model. Some highlights:

http://www.allbusiness.com/north-ame...4064638-1.html

"One of the company's biggest costs is advertising, according to Schindler, vice president of marketing and operations." (Notice that advertising costs are higher than component costs. IE sell ****, but advertise the heck out of it.) Nice.

"The company's tactic: strip down sets to their most basic components and work closely with stores-mostly warehouse clubs-on prices."

"As with cheap monitors, Vizio is going after volume."

Those are quotes from their Marketing Dept. Nice to be chasing the same market as cheap monitors.

This is another article dealing with Vizio:
    http://www.twice.com/article/CA6562112.html

"Schindler said we really believe in plasma technology and think it has some advantages over LCD, even though in the retail environment plasma will glare more with the light," he said. "We want to keep plasma alive and keep a good balance."

Isn't that interesting? Vizio contends that Plasma has some advantages over LCD. I guess that they forgot to send pix the memo. What a dork.
    Last edited by Groundbeef; 02-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I was reading this article about Vizio and their business model. Some highlights:

"One of the company's biggest costs is advertising, according to Schindler, vice president of marketing and operations." (Notice that advertising costs are higher than component costs. IE sell ****, but advertise the heck out of it. Nice.
    Are we talking about Vizio or Bose here?

That's gotta hurt a little there Pix.
    Last edited by JSE; 02-11-2009 at 11:53 AM.

I'm sure he'll point out that he owns a Vizio LCD not a plasma. Not sure why you guys bother trying to edumacate him tho.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Old info. Vizio was only #1 for one quarter in 2007. Sony and Samsung have been trading the #1 spot for the past year and a half. Vizio is currently tied for #3 with Sharp.

As others have pointed out, Pioneers rank among the top rated TVs on the market. They are still making TVs right now, since there has yet to be any official announcement.

Because their sets cost more to make, and have a higher price than competing models. Pioneer's issue was cost containment on the production side, which is why they were preparing to go with Panny and Sharp as their new OEM suppliers. They were no different than a high end audio company that produces high quality components in low quantity. Are you now saying that "great" products are limited to those that sell millions of units? If volume equals greatness, then I guess you must LOVE Bose, right?

Actually, you're the clueless one, given that Pioneer hasn't even started using plasma panels from Panasonic. Their financial issues stem from the fact that they own their production facilities, and those facilities are too inefficient and low volume to operate profitably, compared to Panasonic, Samsung, and LG.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

Great stuff Duds!

Pix, you're a dumbass.

WHICH puts me about 50 I.Q points above you
    You spend blu prices on a DVD player and call me a dumbass?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Old info. Vizio was only #1 for one quarter in 2007. Sony and Samsung have been trading the #1 spot for the past year and a half. Vizio is currently tied for #3 with Sharp.

Vizio was #1 for a lot longer than PIONEER, (how long was that ? OH, they never were)

As others have pointed out, Pioneers rank among the top rated TVs on the market. They are still making TVs right now, since there has yet to be any official announcement.
    IS that why they cant sell any?
    ACTUALLY the real reason they cant sell any, and that is they have PLASMA
    only, and there are only so many dumbasses in teh world who would buy plasma.

Because their sets cost more to make, and have a higher price than competing models. Pioneer's issue was cost containment on the production side, which is why they were preparing to go with Panny and Sharp as their new OEM suppliers. They were no different than a high end audio company that produces high quality components in low quantity. Are you now saying that "great" products are limited to those that sell millions of units? If volume equals greatness, then I guess you must LOVE Bose, right?
    If "vollume" equals "greatness " then you ass would be the greatest thing on earth.
    Companies like Runco have no problem selling high end.
    Problem with Pioneer is they sold out to the mass market long ago with their plastic
    toy receivers, no way they could convince anybody that they produce quality gear.

Actually, you're the clueless one, given that Pioneer hasn't even started using plasma panels from Panasonic. Their financial issues stem from the fact that they own their production facilities, and those facilities are too inefficient and low volume to operate profitably, compared to Panasonic, Samsung, and LG.
    BUT by all means go ahead and buy a product from a company that cant even plan
    a product cycle and produce and sell a product at a decent price point.
    Speaks highly of them that they cant turn out a product at a decent price point.
    AND who asked you anyway?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I have 2 Pioneer Plasmas. Neither are Pannys. Although, as others have said, I would rather a Panny, than the Aldi Special (Vizio).

http://www.allbusiness.com/north-ame...4064638-1.html

"One of the company's biggest costs is advertising, according to Schindler, vice president of marketing and operations." (Notice that advertising costs are higher than component costs. IE sell ****, but advertise the heck out of it.) Nice.

"The company's tactic: strip down sets to their most basic components and work closely with stores-mostly warehouse clubs-on prices."

"As with cheap monitors, Vizio is going after volume."

Those are quotes from their Marketing Dept. Nice to be chasing the same market as cheap monitors.

This is another article dealing with Vizio:
    http://www.twice.com/article/CA6562112.html

"Schindler said we really believe in plasma technology and think it has some advantages over LCD, even though in the retail environment plasma will glare more with the light," he said. "We want to keep plasma alive and keep a good balance."

Isn't that interesting? Vizio contends that Plasma has some advantages over LCD. I guess that they forgot to send pix the memo. What a dork.

AND LETS SEEEE.
    WHO are YOU?
    oh, yeah, AFTER A 2700$ meltdown of YOU'RE plasma POS you were stupid enough to BUY ANOTHER ONE!!!
    WHY the crap should anyone listen to anything you have to say?

Attack VIZIO all you want, quote things out of context ALL DAY LONG.
    You cant beat reality, and the reality IS that plasma is a flawed form factor.
    A "DEAD" FLAWED FORM FACTOR.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Are we talking about Vizio or Bose here?

That's gotta hurt a little there Pix.
    nothing the nimrods on this site say bother me a bit.
    Its like a bunch of boobs with square wheels making fun of the guy with round ones.
    Plasma is a fundamentally flawed tech, and the only question is can the industry
    sell enough units to break even to enough idiots before word gets out.
    Plasma will be nowhere to be found in five years except attics and yard sales.
    TRUST ME ON THIS ONE
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    AND LETS SEEEE.
    WHO are YOU?
    oh, yeah, AFTER A 2700$ meltdown of YOU'RE plasma POS you were stupid enough to BUY ANOTHER ONE!!!
    WHY the crap should anyone listen to anything you have to say?

Attack VIZIO all you want, quote things out of context ALL DAY LONG.
    You cant beat reality, and the reality IS that plasma is a flawed form factor.
    A "DEAD" FLAWED FORM FACTOR.
    They were not out of context. Read the articles, I gave both sources. They are pretty short, so it shouldn't take too much time.

And, as far as my TV that died, are you contending that there is NO Vizio TV (LCD or Plasma) that had NEVER died?

And if Plasma is so bad, why is your beloved bottom feeder shilling both Plasma AND LCD?

There really isn't much more to say. Vizio "belives" in Plasma. They make Plasma. They see Plasma as a key to their business model. So it must just be you.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    WHICH puts me about 50 I.Q points above you
    You spend blu prices on a DVD player and call me a dumbass?
    Yes. You ARE a dumbass. Show me a new, in the box "blu" that costs $169. And remember, I don't shop at Odd Lot's or your employer, Wal-mart.

As long as you hang here for no other reason than to stir up the pot and attempt to put some very knowlegable in a bad light, I'll continue to call you as I and many other here see you. You got your shtick, I got mine pix.

My best friend's dad bought a Samsung plazma in 2002. Still going strong

Suspended
    A co-worker bought his Pioneer plasma in 2001. It's still going strong as well.

Anybody can predict a change in technology 5 years down the road. Not only is that NBD, but it doesn't mean the technology won't be on the shelf 5 years after that change. Like I said pix...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information