Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Onkyo goes Retro

I think the amp looks pretty bad azz...

From what Onkyo has offered for as long as I know, $2500 for the amp or $5700 for the entire set seem astronomical.. What do you think?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/o...ates-go-retro/

Happy New Year and Have Fun,
    JRA

Suspended
    All it needs are blue back-lights...

Well with the fact that Onkyo has their reputation built around mid to upper level receivers and for the most part concentrate on the lower level stuff and let their Integra part of their company handle the higher end stuff. I think it will be hard for people to take this stuff seriously since this is out of character for them to make this price of equipment especially two channel stuff.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Well with the fact that Onkyo has their reputation built around mid to upper level receivers and for the most part concentrate on the lower level stuff and let their Integra part of their company handle the higher end stuff. I think it will be hard for people to take this stuff seriously since this is out of character for them to make this price of equipment especially two channel stuff.
    This is all true but I'd still love to hear 'em and wouldn't dismiss the trio until having done so.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Wow!

I love the look of that amp! I'd love to audition that setup.

Isn't STtT a fan? Maybe he will hear these before other - unless they are CES..

good point and I myself would not dismiss without hearing as well but I have just heard too many people that are "high end" brands only dismiss great products that would fit their systems nicely but it does not have that high end name plate on it. Me myself I look at things for what they are and try to stay non biased as far as a brand until I have heard it for myself. I know a few high end name dropper products that I have heard several times that do nothing for me and have also heard some mid line stuff that blew me away as far as sound but I will admit it is a departure from the look that Onkyo has had for quite some time that I have seen.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Nice mix of the past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I think the amp looks pretty bad azz...

From what Onkyo has offered for as long as I know, $2500 for the amp or $5700 for the entire set seem astronomical.. What do you think?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/o...ates-go-retro/

Happy New Year and Have Fun,
    JRA
    I like the look, but I'd like it better in SILVER -- or light champagne like, say, this Accuphase. Regards the price, I'd really need to be persuaded that Onkyo was worth that kinda money, (even though I'm enjoying my new Onkyo HT receiver).

Charm Thai™
    I especially like the ergonomics of the preamp because I love large functional dials but I agree with both harley and sticks. They deserve an unbiased audition however I will most likely be one of those people blowing them off. Unfair, I know. Onkyo lost my attention when their build quality (including Integra models) dropped off here in the US going into the early 90's. In a much cheaper price bracket they would have definitely peaked my interest for any Onkyo loyalist moving from an HT receiver to their first set of separates.

Is Integra a completely different division from Onkyo now? I just looked up a few recent Integra products online and none of them had Onkyo badges. I always remember Onkyo having products lines where the top most models would either have a gold Integra badge (or sometimes white silkscreen) adjacent to the Onkyo badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I like the look, but I'd like it better in SILVER -- or light champagne like, say, this Accuphase. Regards the price, I'd really need to be persuaded that Onkyo was worth that kinda money, (even though I'm enjoying my new Onkyo HT receiver).

Yes!

I was going to follow your opinion, and say they really should do this too...

but apparently,

They already have

I also found pics with the same white lights like in the pics above...
    I wonder how it would look, if they had used the same green/blueish lights as the old Onkyo & integra amps

Also found this:

Looks pretty good too, dual power supplies, symmetrical buildup, fairly small power amp stages though, usually in amps of this caliber, you see the heatsinks & power amp boards over the full lenght. But still, for a 80W/ch @8ohm, beefy amp

One thing that leaves me with a question is the power consumption: 280W, for the 230V version, that's barely more than 1A. Either it is REALLY efficient, or the rating is off. Also, at 4ohms it can put out 150 watts, 170 watts dynamic, x2, which is more than the power consumption... strange...

Also found a pic of the rear, looked good, good quality binding posts and all, you can also run it bridged, as a big mono amp. Only one remark, and you can see this too on the internal pic:

There is only one XLR input, so this means you can only run the amp in balanced operation when you bridge it, which makes sense, somehow, because bridging it makes it a fully balanced amplifier too, however, most amps that offer XLR do offer them for stereo use too...

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed, seeing this from Onkyo, reminds me of the big Integra amps with big meters from back then , I wonder how they sound...
    then again, in the early 90's there was this, a 72kg monster.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Last edited by basite; 01-05-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

That 4ohm rms power vs dynamic power rating does not leave much headroom is these ratings are the true ratings but you are right the power input ratings do not match the output capability and that by no means seems right something is amiss with the ratings somewhere.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Definitely not out of character for them for anyone who remembers their Grand Integra line from the 1980s. Basite links to it, but here's another pic of one of the monster amps from that lineup. That link also indicates that the inflation-adjusted price for this amp would be $8,000 in today's dollars.

In a recent review, Stereophile indicated those Onkyo amps were competitive with the Krell and Mark Levinson models of that era. Those gold-toned Grand Integras were also popular at high end audio shows, particularly in the early home theater demos (this was before the advent of multichannel receivers, and right when the first consumer Dolby Surround decoders became available). I recall one setup using a Novabeam front projection TV, and the audio driven by a pair of monobridged Onkyo Grand Integras, with surrounds driven by another two-channel Onkyo amp.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Considering my experience with Onkyo, I don't have any difficulty accepting these
    components.
    The pre-amp has nice touches like USB, Burr brown dacs, etc.
    Why weren't these issued under the Integra line? Because Onkyo, like a lot of Japanese
    manufacturers, sold out to the mass market. Can't blame them, thats where the money
    was.
    Now they have crawled out of the back alley of the mass market they have been wallowing
    in, and are trying to regain their audiophile name.
    At least they are doing it right, with a honest 80 wpc for the power amp, and 450WPC
    dynamic power.
    And the price is not unreasonable for gear of this quality. But in this age of cheap stuff
    from Emotiva and international chaos, it remains to be seen if they are successful.
    Love to have the pre and power amps. THE CD player is nice but not needed.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Definitely not out of character for them for anyone who remembers their Grand Integra line from the 1980s. Basite links to it, but here's another pic of one of the monster amps from that lineup. That link also indicates that the inflation-adjusted price for this amp would be $8,000 in today's dollars.

In a recent review, Stereophile indicated those Onkyo amps were competitive with the Krell and Mark Levinson models of that era. Those gold-toned Grand Integras were also popular at high end audio shows, particularly in the early home theater demos (this was before the advent of multichannel receivers, and right when the first consumer Dolby Surround decoders became available). I recall one setup using a Novabeam front projection TV, and the audio driven by a pair of monobridged Onkyo Grand Integras, with surrounds driven by another two-channel Onkyo amp.
    that is good information but people look at what a company is doing overall and a lot of people will overlook it for something lesser than what it is I would say. I would love to hear this setup and see what it could do and for a company that its bread and butter now is home theater receivers to make separate components again is good and I hope they succeed but they will have to have someone that will back their ability to sell their ability and let people hear them. I have never said that they could not or should not do it really some of these brands need to get back into what made them good to begin with and getting back into 2 channel might help their name in the higher end world as far as audio guys go, I know there name is already good with HT and if they could amp up their name in 2 channel it would be a great thing. I have a friend that used to sell integra and oknyo that loved their stuff and does not use anything different and to me that is a statement to the quality of their HT receivers.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Speaking of handsome LOOKING components, when in Costco I saw this very handsome Samsung HW-C700 7.1 receiver. The picture just doesn't do it justice: "in the flesh", the finish has a steely luster that is exceptionally gorgeous. And of course, the front panel simply couldn't get much sleeker -- one knob and a tiny 'ON' button; of course the bottom section folds down for more controls.

The unit is being sold with a similarly sleek Blu-ray player and Polk speakers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onkyo goes Retro-samsung_hw-c700_receiver.jpg  

I have just heard too many people that are "high end" brands only dismiss great products that would fit their systems nicely but it does not have that high end name plate on it.
    More valid concerns are:

1. They have not been a consistent player. Look at their website today and you'll find four amps: two digital, one lightweight two channel and one multi-channel. So they made a few higher power models in the 80s and 90s. Then what?

2. They exhibit wildly optimistic power ratings. The 1984 Optima boasts 138% efficiency (1000 Watts @4 ohms with 720 watt consumption). Even the current PA-MC5500 only claims (an equally laughable) 96% efficiency for a non-switcher.

Such does not inspire confidence that they are able to compete with players who have been consistently in the game for decades.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Isn't STtT a fan? Maybe he will hear these before other - unless they are CES..
    Hopefully, Onkyo has thrown out all their past designs and started from a new slate. Regarding his Onks, here is what SirT said:

"John curl stated that he would and could make these amps sound 50 times betterthan they did new. He made them 100 times better sounding. "

If one guy can go in and modify parts with that level of improvement, then the guys back in Japan really need to redouble their efforts.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060

Is Integra a completely different division from Onkyo now? I just looked up a few recent Integra products online and none of them had Onkyo badges. I always remember Onkyo having products lines where the top most models would either have a gold Integra badge (or sometimes white silkscreen) adjacent to the Onkyo badge.
    I've been informed by a dealer (Hanson Audio) that the only difference between Onkyo and Integra Research was difference in capacitors used inside.
    But, I thought Integra had co-developed gear with Balance Audio Technology and others, but I don't see any reference to BAT anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Also found this:

There is only one XLR input, so this means you can only run the amp in balanced operation when you bridge it, which makes sense, somehow, because bridging it makes it a fully balanced amplifier too, however, most amps that offer XLR do offer them for stereo use too...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Great pic.

Just by looking at the picture, the amp looks balanced.
    Maybe it difference underneath PS caps, but why would Onkyo put in symmetrical components then just 1 XLR input? Are they cutting corners? Then again I can't name a single manufacturer who makes truly balanced stereo amp at under $2500.

Whatchu think?

............Then again I can't name a single manufacturer who makes truly balanced stereo amp at under $2500.

Whatchu think?

I can....

http://www.marshsounddesign.com/a400s.html This sells for $2295 MSRP
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Integra was just a upper line of Onkyo when it first came out. Somewhere down the line they split off, for financial reason more than likely. I still have an Onkyo Integra Cassette Deck where both names are on the face plate and everywhere else.

What I find odd is that these new units are NOT badged as Integra. Does that mean they will not really be all that great? Or does it mean that a unit badged as Onkyo will now be the same or better than one badged as Integra?

Is there anything new similar or better on the Integra front?

These guys do look real cool though.

Great pic.

Just by looking at the picture, the amp looks balanced.
    Maybe it difference underneath PS caps, but why would Onkyo put in symmetrical components then just 1 XLR input? Are they cutting corners? Then again I can't name a single manufacturer who makes truly balanced stereo amp at under $2500.

Whatchu think?
    My Monarhy SM-70 Pro amps are the same: a single XLR input for fully balanced, monoblock operation

Bear in mind that almost all solid state amps, and many tube amps too, are "push-pull" i.e. balanced in their output stages.

As I understand it, (I wish somebody would correct me if I'm wrong), on input, single-ended signals must be split and one side inverted to feed the push-pull output stages. With true balanced input, the splitting and inversion can be bypassed. I suppose the bypassing is a bit easier to do in case the bridged operation (??).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Integra was just a upper line of Onkyo when it first came out. Somewhere down the line they split off, for financial reason more than likely. I still have an Onkyo Integra Cassette Deck where both names are on the face plate and everywhere else.

What I find odd is that these new units are NOT badged as Integra. Does that mean they will not really be all that great? Or does it mean that a unit badged as Onkyo will now be the same or better than one badged as Integra?

Is there anything new similar or better on the Integra front?

These guys do look real cool though.
    If there is not an INTEGRA version there will probably be one soon.
    Or ONKYO might just get slapped in this competitive segment of the market and slink on home.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Speaking of handsome LOOKING components, when in Costco I saw this very handsome Samsung HW-C700 7.1 receiver. The picture just doesn't do it justice: "in the flesh", the finish has a steely luster that is exceptionally gorgeous. And of course, the front panel simply couldn't get much sleeker -- one knob and a tiny 'ON' button; of course the bottom section folds down for more controls.

The unit is being sold with a similarly sleek Blu-ray player and Polk speakers.
    A home theater in the box by any other name...
    THERE are companies that have been building gear for eons that I WILL NOT TOUCH.
    Get back to me in fifty or so years(modern medicine allowing).
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information