Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    So the best way to get money to support the film and music industry is to tax the hell out of the hardware and anything that can be recorded to. Canada implemented a per blank disc tax which was pretty hefty.

You accept that people will copy and you say right "The hard drive is $120 there will be a $350 support the industry tax" on each drive. ...
    I can't agree; there are too many application for recording hardware that have nothing to do with pirating copywrited material.

Canada implemented a per blank disc tax which was pretty hefty.

Before the tax went into affect I purchased about 200 blank CDs and DVDs. The tax basically double or tripled I can't remember the price of each disc.
    That's pretty funny. And all those who listen via their mobile players or music servers just smiled at the suckers!

The hard drive is $120 there will be a $350 support the industry tax
    Fortunately, NO ONE in his right mind here would support such a ludicrous attack on the legitimate use of data storage to *protect* an entirely unrelated industry.

This all goes back to the financial class system - you're rich you buy it - you're poor you download.
    That don't sound right as I know alot of poor folks that own discs because they care about quality. More appropriate sentence would be :

If you care about picture/sound quality, you buy it. If you want convenience , you download

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well there was recent debate to add a levy to iPod and Mp3 players.

Artist/musician Sophie Milman recently address this

Nightwish "The Phantom Of The Opera" with lyrics - YouTube

Well there was recent debate to add a levy to iPod and Mp3 players.

Artist/musician Sophie Milman recently address this

Nightwish "The Phantom Of The Opera" with lyrics - YouTube
    I take personal offence at the suggestion that I ought to pay a lot more money for any device to recompense Sophie Milman much less Nightwish (or Andrew Lloyd Webber).

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yeah two posts at the same time and I guess I didn't copy it well

Sophie Milman (jazz musician) at the Toronto Copyright Consultation - YouTube

I take great offense to fining someone $675,000 for uploading 30 songs. These lawsuits are a massive drain on my tax dollars and yours because these people will never be able to pay it off.

In the US you can be jailed for not paying fines (so you know Harper wants that too). This is silly because if you can't afford to pay the fine how can you pay it from jail? If you're not jailed and you make $400 week it will take 108 years to pay it back if they garnished wages say at a 20% clip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information