Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76
  1. #1
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    527

    Looks like Plasma still beats LCD

    Here's a link that did a comparison of Plasma vs LCD..

    http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Plasma_ShootOut.htm

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    221
    Imagine that. Notice what is used as a reference display? CRT, but this would be obvious to MOST people I think.
    Display: Samsung PN50B550 Plasma TV
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR, Marantz CD5001 CD player, Sony BDP-S550 bluray
    Speakers: Monitor Audio BR5 towers and BRLCR centre, Dayton Audio in-wall surrounds
    Sub: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact
    Wiring: Belden and Canare speaker cables, Monoprice and Monster interconnects
    Control: Wired Home IR distribution system, Logitech Harmony 550 remote

  3. #3
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    How long till the Pixy bomb blows?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  4. #4
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    Imagine that. Notice what is used as a reference display? CRT, but this would be obvious to MOST people I think.
    Your sarcasm is NOT appreciated.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    221
    I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, and the comments are not directed at you anyhow. The CRT reference is with respect to a previous discussion. Anyhow, its an interesting article.
    Display: Samsung PN50B550 Plasma TV
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR, Marantz CD5001 CD player, Sony BDP-S550 bluray
    Speakers: Monitor Audio BR5 towers and BRLCR centre, Dayton Audio in-wall surrounds
    Sub: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact
    Wiring: Belden and Canare speaker cables, Monoprice and Monster interconnects
    Control: Wired Home IR distribution system, Logitech Harmony 550 remote

  6. #6
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    527

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, and the comments are not directed at you anyhow. The CRT reference is with respect to a previous discussion. Anyhow, its an interesting article.

    No worries then. All is good.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    I guess that's why all the manufacturers are abandoning plasma?

  8. #8
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I guess that's why all the manufacturers are abandoning plasma?
    Thats not a good arguement as can be demonstrated by the VHS format beating out the beta format which was clearly far superior over VHS.

  9. #9
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    No chit....

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    How long till the Pixy bomb blows?
    (Worf grabs helmet and flak vest)
    When he reads this he'll go flat out noooklearrr!!!!
    (Worf adjusts goggles and radiations suit)
    I'm quite surprised he hasn't shown up already...

    Da "Waiting for the bomb to drop" Worfster

  10. #10
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Thats not a good arguement as can be demonstrated by the VHS format beating out the beta format which was clearly far superior over VHS.
    Obviously not.

  11. #11
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Obviously not.
    Your avatar is confusing me. Are you N. Abstentia or Nightflier?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Did Nightflier steal my avatar???? THIEF!

  13. #13
    nightflier
    Guest
    No I didn't!

    ...and don't mess with Clint, either.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Thats not a good arguement as can be demonstrated by the VHS format beating out the beta format which was clearly far superior over VHS.
    VHS beat out BETA, because of Sony arrogance, mostly.
    VHS had longer playing times and several other advantages, the better PQ of
    Beta wasnt as much as has been reported.
    Likewise LCD meets the needs of more people, and most prefer the picture,
    no surprize its winning, and plasma is walking the last mile.
    As for displaymate, their site is trimmed in panny blu, but I guess thats
    just a co-inky-dink.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  15. #15
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I guess that's why all the manufacturers are abandoning plasma?
    SHUSHHHHHH.
    We don't want all of those plasma owners to get upset, now do we?
    If they found out that they own a dying format, and that most think that looking
    at a plasma screen is like looking into a clothes washer while its running, the poor dears
    might get a tad upset.
    Just let them watch their dim glossy screens, sucking their thumbs and comforted
    by the glow of phosper, reminding them of days when they watched howdey
    Doody while eating their corn flakes, and the world was a simpler place.
    Poor dears are in such denial , we wouldnt want to cause any psychotic breaks, hum?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  16. #16
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    It's about time. Let the fun begin.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    56
    Things I considered before I bought a 40" Sony LCD last year: Power consumption since my set is on 16-17 hours a day, and reliability, having noticed the almost double the cost of extended service contracts for similarly priced plasmas vs LCD sets. The extended service companies certainly notice the higher repair costs of a plasma set and that is reflected in the price of the service contracts. With the LCD backlight set to a reasonable level, 2 to 3, my 40" Sony draws less than 100 Watts. I tend to sit in front of the TV so severe off-angle viewing is of no concern, looks very good at reasonable off-angles <45 or so even to plasma owning friends.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_in_Tx
    Things I considered before I bought a 40" Sony LCD last year: Power consumption since my set is on 16-17 hours a day, and reliability, having noticed the almost double the cost of extended service contracts for similarly priced plasmas vs LCD sets. The extended service companies certainly notice the higher repair costs of a plasma set and that is reflected in the price of the service contracts. With the LCD backlight set to a reasonable level, 2 to 3, my 40" Sony draws less than 100 Watts. I tend to sit in front of the TV so severe off-angle viewing is of no concern, looks very good at reasonable off-angles <45 or so even to plasma owning friends.
    Thanks for the info about the service contracts, pretty much goes along with what I have heard.
    Plasmas used to be shipped in metal cases, but this got to be a PR snafu, so now they are shipped in normal boxes, and the cost of busted sets is eaten.
    So the expense of moving a plasma also figures into these service contracts.
    With a backlight behind the sony, and the contrast and backlight turned down to 50% or so you will find the black level much improved, BTW.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  19. #19
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    As for displaymate, their site is trimmed in panny blu, but I guess thats
    just a co-inky-dink.
    Oh, but those test shots showing the huge off-axis color shifting that occurs with LCDs use red-dominated images. So, given that it was not a blue image, the test was valid, eh?
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  20. #20
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Oh, but those test shots showing the huge off-axis color shifting that occurs with LCDs use red-dominated images. So, given that it was not a blue image, the test was valid, eh?

    The images are "red" because of the doppler effect.
    But I am sure that if Panny could have found a way...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  21. #21
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    VHS beat out BETA, because of Sony arrogance, mostly.
    VHS had longer playing times and several other advantages, the better PQ of
    Beta wasnt as much as has been reported.
    Likewise LCD meets the needs of more people, and most prefer the picture,
    no surprize its winning, and plasma is walking the last mile.
    As for displaymate, their site is trimmed in panny blu, but I guess thats
    just a co-inky-dink.
    Sorry pixie, but wrong again. The picture quality superiority of beta over VHS was well known. Each time VHS improved its picture quality and sound, Beta did even moreso. What killed Beta was Sony refusal to liscense its technology to other manufacturers, something that VHS did.

    LCD meets peoples budget considerations, folks that look at cost more than performance. In spite of your delusion beliefs, plasma's still outperform even the best of LCD panels, though the advantage is shrinking because of Pioneers exit from the plasma market(they where the leaders and pushers of plasma technology)

    I now own a top of the line 55" LCD from Sony, a Pioneer Kuros 60", a Sony CRT projector, and a custom 65" CRT based RPTV. There is no way my sony looks better than my Kuros...no way no how, and my Sony has received excellent reviews.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  22. #22
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    The images are "red" because of the doppler effect.
    But I am sure that if Panny could have found a way...
    Doppler effect?? Pathetic response. They would have to be running very fast past the panels for the doppler effect to be visible at that distance. These shots are simple non moving front and side shots, so your explanation is completely wrong.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  23. #23
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Doppler effect?? Pathetic response. They would have to be running very fast past the panels for the doppler effect to be visible at that distance. These shots are simple non moving front and side shots, so your explanation is completely wrong.
    You gotta admit though. That was funny.
    How fast is 15% of the speed of light these days?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  24. #24
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    What killed Beta was Sony refusal to liscense its technology to other manufacturers, something that VHS did.


    NEC and Sanyo were two manufacturers of Beta other than Sony. And they were not rebadged Sonys. I know, I went to the tech schools to learn how to repair them and I repaired about 1,000 VCRs a year for 25 years, about 20 or so a week (once in the heyday of the '80s I repaired as many as 35 VCRs in a week) so been there, done that. I never did like Beta much except for the marginal picture quality on the early machines due to the use of a larger head drum which gave it horizontal resolution to about 270 lines compared to VHS at about 240 lines. Neither equaled NTSC broadcast TV at 330 lines. VHS HiFi and SVHS plus the mechanical simplicity of the VHS tape transport mechanism finally did Beta in.

  25. #25
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_in_Tx
    NEC and Sanyo were two manufacturers of Beta other than Sony. And they were not rebadged Sonys. I know, I went to the tech schools to learn how to repair them and I repaired about 1,000 VCRs a year for 25 years, about 20 or so a week (once in the heyday of the '80s I repaired as many as 35 VCRs in a week) so been there, done that. I never did like Beta much except for the marginal picture quality on the early machines due to the use of a larger head drum which gave it horizontal resolution to about 270 lines compared to VHS at about 240 lines. Neither equaled NTSC broadcast TV at 330 lines. VHS HiFi and SVHS plus the mechanical simplicity of the VHS tape transport mechanism finally did Beta in.
    So Sony had three liscencees, which still presents a problem against VHS numerous liscencees. Since NEC and Sanyo players were rebadged Sony players, you have made my point. Sony was not able to get other manufacturers to build in house designs using the companies own R and D money. something that helps drive the development of the product. VHS was able to do hence the mechanical simplicity.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •