AR Newbie Registered Member

Completely Overwhelmed! --- Newbie

Hello! I am new to the fourms! I have been reading and reading about home theater and I am completely overwhelmed. So many choices! If I could get some recommendations that would be fabulous! Right now I am looking for a reciever and speakers.

Budget for Reciever: $1000 - $1300
    I am thinking of the Denon Avr-3803 / 3805 or the Yamaha RX-V2400?

Budget for Speakers: $1000 - $2500
    The speakers should be of medium size to small (request from the fioncee) and we would like them to be all the same brand (a 6.1 setup I guess). We would probably use them 75% for HT and 25% for music. Room size is questionable. We are renting at the moment and are likely to move in the near future. The B&W 602 series 3 are looking pretty good.

I look forward to all of your recommendations!
    Last edited by Zeus; 03-01-2004 at 01:19 PM.

Forum Regular
    the yamaha rx-v2400 is a great amp, can't go wrong with that.

for speakers, what you said sounds good aswell, just go into a store and listen to all the mid size ones until you find the ones you like. the B&W's maybe some paradigm, or athena asb2"s and asc1.

best is just to go listen

I think you should increase your budget for speakers by getting the rx-V1400, unless the 2400 has something you need that the 1400 doesn't have. You can get the 1400 for 600-$700 I think. You're gonna need that extra money for a good subwoofer.

Your proposed choices should be fine. The only question with using standmounted B&Ws all the way around is whether you plan to add a subwoofer. The 602s have decent low end extension, but getting the full impact of the LFE track on DVDs will require a subwoofer to take the sound down by another octave. The nice thing about the 602 is that they are very adaptable for several situations and listening requirements. If you plan on using a wall-mounted plasma screen or other kind of flat panel TV, you should consider going with three identical speakers up front. This is because the horizontal center speaker is what it is because it's designed to sit on top of a TV. If you don't have the TV filling the middle, you should go with three identical speakers up front for the best possible voice matching.

All things told, what you should focus on more than anything is learning how to properly setup and calibrate the system. Very often in home theatre, performance problems have more to do with how the equipment is set up, rather than the equipment itself. Before you even finalize your decision about the receiver and speakers, go and get a Radio Shack SPL meter and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD. The S&V DVD has excellent tutorials and a slew of test signals that will help you calibrate your system properly. The YPAO auto calibration function on the RX-V2400 will do this automatically, but it's still a good thing to have the meter and test disc available for doing your own verifications. And also scan through these boards for recommendations on how to properly place the surround speakers.

thx for the nfo guys!!!

This really helps a lot. If I am totally off base on my speaker / receiver selection be sure to tell me. Also if you guys have any other recommendations in this price range let me know!

-Z

Forum Regular
    the yammies are definetely the best choice. awsome features. i think your choices are good

Forum Regular

I second This Guy

I don't think the upgrade from the rvx1400 to 2400 will be worth it to you. The only real difference is a nominal power increase, and like 2 extra dsp (the 1400 already has like 27) modes and 2 inputs. If you go to etronics, you can bring up a comparison chart. I could be wrong, but I think that's about it. Someone else may have a different opinion. I think the 1400 should have pretty much everthing you need, and the extra money could go toward other setup and calibration costs, a sub, stands...
    you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I don't think the upgrade from the rvx1400 to 2400 will be worth it to you. The only real difference is a nominal power increase, and like 2 extra dsp (the 1400 already has like 27) modes and 2 inputs. If you go to etronics, you can bring up a comparison chart. I could be wrong, but I think that's about it. Someone else may have a different opinion. I think the 1400 should have pretty much everthing you need, and the extra money could go toward other setup and calibration costs, a sub, stands...
    you get the point.
    Aside from the larger capacity components in the power supply section, the other major substantive difference between the 1400 and 2400 is that the 2400 has more extensive multiroom capabilities and a RS-232 interface for custom installations. If the receiver's not being used in a multiroom installation, then the extras that come with the 2400 might not be needed.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Aside from the larger capacity components in the power supply section, the other major substantive difference between the 1400 and 2400 is that the 2400 has more extensive multiroom capabilities and a RS-232 interface for custom installations. If the receiver's not being used in a multiroom installation, then the extras that come with the 2400 might not be needed.
    what are the better multiroom capabilities that the 2400 has that the 1400 doesn't have, and what exactly does the rs232 interface do?
    Last edited by agtpunx40; 03-02-2004 at 12:40 PM.

I must have been talking to Woochifer when I went to the AV store , he said the exact same thing u did about the multiroom capabilities.

The guy at my local AV store did not recommend the B & W sub., the ASW 650. He recommended the Definitive Tech Supercube Sub. What do you guys think of this sub and what are some of your favorites?

I also listened to the B & W 705 bookshelf series....wow, really nice. Any words about this series?
    Last edited by Zeus; 03-02-2004 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    what are the better multiroom capabilities that the 2400 has that the 1400 has, and what exactly does the rs232 interface do?
    The 2400 also does video switching with the multiroom amplification, and the RS-232 interface is basically a serial port, and they're frequently used with home automation controllers (for example, if you want a central control unit that handles the multiroom switching plus the lighting and climate control systems).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I must have been talking to Woochifer when I went to the AV store , he said the exact same thing u did about the multiroom capabilities.

The guy at my local AV store did not recommend the B & W sub., the ASW 650. He recommended the Definitive Tech Supercube Sub. What do you guys think about subs?

I also listened to the 705 bookshelf series....wow, really nice. Any words about this series?
    The 700 series is relatively new, but its predecessor, the CDM series was very well regarded. Definitely should be on your short list if it's in your price range.

As far as subs go, I wouldn't write off the ASW650 just yet. For one thing, it's a lot less expensive than the DefTech models, and it has a sealed design, which I'm partial to. I'm not a huge fan of Def Tech's tower speakers, but I have read a lot of good things about their subs. The thing to remember about subwoofers is that they are very susceptible to room acoustics, so even the best subwoofer on the planet might sound gawdawful if you have a bad room. The key is with the placement, setup, and the room. You can address the room acoustics through a combination of room treatments and parametric equalization. Keep in mind that these are not beginner level concepts. Adding something like a parametric equalizer can make the difference between bassthat sounds like an incessant one-note boom and is thin otherwise, and full and extended bass that integrates seamlessly with the main sepakers.

Since you're new to the HT game, you might want to get familiarized with all the basic functions of your system, and setup your speakers properly before you go diving into subwoofers. First, get a SPL meter ($40 at Radio Shack) and a setup DVD like the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD, which has tutorials and test tones for properly setting up your system. Once you've figured things out at a basic level, then you can tackle the subwoofer.

Amazing info once again. Ordering that dvd right now off of amazon.

Thanks guys!

Forum Regular

Question

OK so out of all the responses to Zeus nobody had anything to say about the Denon AVR 3803 .... I'm very serious about a purchase on this very model ... comments, or opions ? Thanks

My requirement is this: My current JVC AVR doesn't have component output, nor does it do full video switching. I am in a new house :-) and am putting up a plasma tv.. We want to put all the equipment in a closet and out of site - I only want one feed going over to the TV and that of couse needs to be component, and then I of course need the video switching capability. I understand that the AVR needs a certain amount of bandwidth to handle HD signals and have read that the Denon's bandwidth is at 100 mega whatever ..... Comments ? what should I be watching out for here.

Thanks,
    Mikey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Hello! I am new to the fourms! I have been reading and reading about home theater and I am completely overwhelmed. So many choices! If I could get some recommendations that would be fabulous! Right now I am looking for a reciever and speakers.

Budget for Reciever: $1000 - $1300
    I am thinking of the Denon Avr-3803 / 3805 or the Yamaha RX-V2400?

Budget for Speakers: $1000 - $2500
    The speakers should be of medium size to small (request from the fioncee) and we would like them to be all the same brand (a 6.1 setup I guess). We would probably use them 75% for HT and 25% for music. Room size is questionable. We are renting at the moment and are likely to move in the near future. The B&W 602 series 3 are looking pretty good.

I look forward to all of your recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by omikey
    OK so out of all the responses to Zeus nobody had anything to say about the Denon AVR 3803 .... I'm very serious about a purchase on this very model ... comments, or opions ? Thanks

My requirement is this: My current JVC AVR doesn't have component output, nor does it do full video switching. I am in a new house :-) and am putting up a plasma tv.. We want to put all the equipment in a closet and out of site - I only want one feed going over to the TV and that of couse needs to be component, and then I of course need the video switching capability. I understand that the AVR needs a certain amount of bandwidth to handle HD signals and have read that the Denon's bandwidth is at 100 mega whatever ..... Comments ? what should I be watching out for here.

Thanks,
    Mikey
    Just about any receiver made in the last year or so with component video switching will have more than enough bandwidth to handle a true HD signal. But, Woodman (our resident TV technician) has said that even with lower bandwidths, you won't see a difference.

As far as the AVR-3803 goes, a lot of people on this board have it and have said good things about it. On paper, it has everything you need and given that the 3805 is due in about a month, I'm sure you can find some excellent closeout bargains on that model right now. The 3805 adds a parametric room calibration function similar to the YPAO system that Yamaha has on its RX-V1400, 2400, and RX-Z9 models. IMO, that type of feature is potentially very compelling given that room acoustics are always one of the biggest (and most frequently ignored) difference makers. But, I would expect that the 3803 would cost somewhere around $800-900, and when the 3805 arrives, it will carry a list price of $1,200.

Forum Regular

Smile

Woochifer - Thanks. Yes the 3803 is at $790 right now at Tweeters .... not much if any better from web retailers

That room feature sounds sweet, but puts the cost out of what I'm willing to spend :-( but I would really appreciate having a system that could adjust itself to the acoustics of the room, how sweet !!

For the $400 difference between the 3803 and 3805 I'd save the bills and run out and buy an spl meter and S&V disc...oh wait, I already did. The 3805 has marginally more power and more component inputs plus DPLIIx, but I think that's about it (outside of auto calibration of course). However, I believe you still have to purchase the optional mic to make the auto calibration work, so the price difference could actually be more than $400. If you need to have the latest and greatest, you know which one too buy. Otherwise, I doubt you'd be able to audibly hear any difference. The Yammie, btw is another sound choice. You can't really go wrong with either.

Good Luck

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    For the $400 difference between the 3803 and 3805 I'd save the bills and run out and buy an spl meter and S&V disc...oh wait, I already did. The 3805 has marginally more power and more component inputs plus DPLIIx, but I think that's about it (outside of auto calibration of course). However, I believe you still have to purchase the optional mic to make the auto calibration work, so the price difference could actually be more than $400. If you need to have the latest and greatest, you know which one too buy. Otherwise, I doubt you'd be able to audibly hear any difference. The Yammie, btw is another sound choice. You can't really go wrong with either.

Good Luck
    TOpspeed - Thanks. I'm lucky to be in this spot, knowing that either choice of the denon 3803 or the yammie 1400 that I can't go wrong. The 3805 is out of my budget range and lucky for me, I don't have to have the latest gratest. If it weren't for moving into this house last Aug. I wouldn't even be upgrading now, lucky me again :-) As my wife now wants a totally different look in the LR I get to get what I want for the equipment ..... even though she is a bit shocked that I'm about to spend about 8 or 9 $K dollars on the total package weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee isn't upgrading fun !

Thread Information