Forum Regular

How Big/Small a TV fits in a room?

I am in the TV Market, wanting a CRT based HDTV. I am looking at 30, 32, and 34" sets. The TV is in a small room, where the most used seating will be around 6 feet away from the screen. There will be one chair around 10 feet away as well. Isn't there a rule of thumb? Does anyone have good/bad things to say about the widescreen models?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDHomer
    I am in the TV Market, wanting a CRT based HDTV. I am looking at 30, 32, and 34" sets. The TV is in a small room, where the most used seating will be around 6 feet away from the screen. There will be one chair around 10 feet away as well. Isn't there a rule of thumb? Does anyone have good/bad things to say about the widescreen models?
    ThreeDHomer; I got this formula some years back from Consumers Reports. The formula is DISTANCE BETWEEN TV AND TV VIEWER times 12 INCHES divided by THREE. Using a 6 foot distance would be 6 times 12=72 divided by 3 gives you a screen size of 24 inches. Using 10 feet; 10 times 12=120 dicided by 3= a screen size of 40 inches. This formula since it was written years ago applied to the standard ration 4:3 screens. I have not scene a formula applicable for widescreen viewing(16X9).

I due to health have not been able to go to stores to look at any regular or wide screen models. However this link;http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip...910/index.html was a recent review of a widescreen XBR CRT unit. It is worth a reading. A few years back I saw a set like this from Sony in a store and it was hard to beat. Kelsci

Thread Information